Mirage's accent?

What is her accent specified as?

It’s a Spanish accent. Exactly from where? I don’t know. BTW she is voiced by Elizabeth Peña.

I would also think it is a SPanish accent.

Elizabeth Peña tiene un acento Español. Si, I know that was lame-o.

ROFL

I don’t think it’s meant to be Spanish… I think it’s meant to be an unidentifiable accent, much like the character herself.

Nomanisanian. :unamused:

Hmmm, would Syndrome and the guards speak in that accent too?

I’ve heard Cuban-Americans from Florida talk, and Mirage DOES sound a lot like them, and considering that her VA is Cuban-American, it’s no surprise. That whole thing of being Cuban and perhaps having escaped from the Castro regime, maybe with a back-story as a spy, would work quite nicely with her persona, I think.

As for Buddy’s accent, there are clearly moments in the movie when he sounds like he grew up in a trailer park in rural Johnston County, North Carolina, and I’m NOT saying that’s a bad thing.

pitbulllady

:question: I agree with all the comments mixed together. I think it hints at hispanic roots, but remains as mysterious as possible, to add to her exoticism so she can be seductive.

Accent? :confused: Huh, it didn’t sound like she had an accent to me.

I think(judging by how it sounds, and her appearance) she’s Polynesian.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Polynesian with emerald green eyes before. Given that the ancestry of most Polynesians, including the native Hawaiians, is South American pre-Columbian Indians, it would be very startling to encounter green eyes in that populace. Mirage’s eyes, more than any other physical feature, are what really makes her stand out for me, since they are virtually identical to the emerald eyes of another Pixar character.

The Spanish teacher at our high school is originally from Cuba, and his accent is a LOT like Mirage’s, perhaps a bit heavier. He is a double amputee, missing an arm and a leg, and last fall I actually got up the nerve to ask him what happened, assuming that he’d been in a car accident or something like that, but it turns out that he was attacked by SHARKS while on a makeshift flotilla as an 11-year-old child from Cuba, fleeing with his family from the Castro regime! Several of the 30 or so people on that flotilla were killed or died soon after being picked up by the Coast Guard. Amazing what people will go though for freedom, huh?

pitbulllady

Sorry, it was my dad’s idea, and after watching some movies/videos from the Pacific islands, I kind of agreed. Again, sorry :blush:. But, she died her hair; what would stop her from getting colored contacts?

Haha, the voice actor does play such a character on TV! :wink:

Yeah, I suppose she could be wearing contacts. :slight_smile:

I always thought of her as Latin American. But I didn’t really bother to think which country, exactly.

it sounds british

I don’t think it sounds British. But I think it sounds latin americanish.

South African maybe?

She looked as if she was animated to be black,maybe Biracial like Mariah Carey…IDK

Or maybe Latin