Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil

Well, no great expectations for this film, especially as it’s scheduled for release two weeks after Rio and will probably get buried. Even so, it’s good to see it FINALLY get a release date after all the troubles with Weinstein early last year. Also, it might be interesting to compare HW2 to Gnomeo and Juliet as both are products of Starz Animation. Some folks complained about the clunky animation in the first Hoodwinked! movie…maybe Starz will do better than the independent Filipino animators of Kanbar Entertainment. But what about the ever-important story quality? Stay tuned…

Here’s an article detailing the legal battle between Kanbar and Weinstein
latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta … n-co-.html

Honestly, the only reason I care that this is finally getting released is so the Best Animation field will get help in expanding to 5 noms this year.

I think HW2 brings the total of animated releases to 12, given that the Meat Paraders count motion-capture as animation (Mars Needs Moms! and The Adventures of Tintin).

Speaking of Academy foolishness, it would be great fun to see an Oscar smackdown between Anne Hathaway and Hayden Panettiere, the voices of Red in the two Hoodwinked! movies:

AH: Back off, lady, I’m the voice of Red!
HP: Bring it on, girl, I’m the voice of Red!
AH: Oh yeah? Well, I’m the voice of Jewel in Rio!
HP: Big deal, I was Kate in Alpha and Omega. Wolves own macaws!
AH: Oh, that Crest Animation thing? I got two words for you…Blue. Sky. Top that!
HP: No, I got two words for you…Disney. Pixar.
AH: Wh-what?
HP: That’s right, honey. I was Suri in Dinosaur and Dot in A Bug’s Life. We’re done here.
AH: Don’t think so! Disney? Princess Diaries, anyone? Alice in Wonderland? Hello-o-o-o…
HP: But, dear, we were talking Best Animated Feature, were we not?
AH: [sniff!] Excuse me, I…I think I’ll just go over there and hand out more statuettes.
HP: Cool! Don’t let the Dior hit you on your way out.

Note: No resemblance to reality, especially the fine character of the actual performers, is in any way suggested by the above satirical hyperbole.

Wait, it’s actually coming out this year? I was under the impression that is was in development limbo forever. I hope it does really well, I love the first Hoodwinked.

Garak of Cardassia: Hoodwinked Too! has been completed but in more like financial/legal limbo for a year or so. Box Office Mojo had indicated a vague release date of 2011, but within the last few days they changed it to April 29, 2011. Still no sign of a trailer, though, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if the release date turned out to be a hockey puck dependent on Weinstein cash flow. But…agreed, it would be good to see the movie get a break and have a decent release after all the time it’s been waiting.

Just Steve Thank you for that information, that is really interesting. I’ve never heard of the that happening with a film before. I mean it being completeled and still in development limbo. In that case, I am much more hopeful to see it soon then previously.

The first movie wasn’t the best, but it was better than Chicken Little, and, IMO, funnier than Madagascar I hope the sequel is just as funny. :slight_smile:

There’s a good chance that it will be at least on par with the original, IV. The writing/pre-production team (Edwards/Edwards/Leech) is the same, and the animation by Starz might prove to be an upgrade from what the independent Filipino animators of Kanbar Entertainment accomplished on a shoestring budget first time around.

After Gnomeo and Juliet and Hoodwinked Too! are released, it’s hard to envision anything else of the independent CG-animation species making it into North American cinemas. But stranger things have happened, and time will tell.

Whoa! Two (or I should say ‘Too’) weeks after Rio? I didn’t even know they were making a sequel. I’m very disinterested in it anyway.

The trailer gods are lavishing their bounty upon us this week. Here’s the HW2 trailer confirming the April 29 release date and indicating availability of 3-D-ness:

moviefone.com/movie/hoodwink … 3732088001

Clearly the animation by Starz is an upgrade from the previous effort, so it remains only to see how story quality and viewer taste drive this movie’s popularity. With flatulence in the mix, it could be a rough ride.

I like the storyline, but I agree about the fart jokes… Hopefully there aren’t many of them and they are just in the trailer for laughs. But it is disappointing… One of the awesome parts of the first movie was piecing together the four stories. It doesn’t look like we will have that here so I am not all that excited.

Sorry guys, but personally there wasn’t a single part of the trailer I liked, I got very bored watching it.

I think that set the record for most fart jokes in one movie trailer.

I definitely understand your feelings, I was disappointed also. My only hope right now is that I really really liked the first one.

Trailer, Iam dissapoint…

Twitchy, you arnt supposed to understand him! That’s what made him funny! Being able to hear him clearly now is just a huge let down…

I did’nt laugh at all except for when the troll first spoke. I dunno why, it just tickled me.
I dunno if I’ll skip the theater experience or not…may netflix it…

The first one was genuinely a quality movie. They did very well with what they had. I agree, the animation looks better, I only wish they hadn’t tweaked the character designs. :frowning: I’m still interested, though.

It seems few if any folks here saw this movie. All told, it was about on par with the first one–not as engaging story-wise, better on the technical side (modeling, rigging, surfacing, etc.). There were some humorous moments and (hooray!) no flatulence as suggested in the trailer. Also, there was no big-finish musical/dance number at the end.

It was more enjoyable than Happily N’Ever After and not as enjoyable as Gnomeo and Juliet.

The production bounced around the globe a lot. It started with Kanbar Entertainment designs in Manila, Bardel Entertainment in Vancouver did some production coordination, Starz in Toronto did most of the animation, and India’s Crest Animation did some additional design work (all per the credits). By comparison, the big CG-animation studios clearly have an easier time of it with pipelines under one roof and lots of money to throw around.

Now it’s dark.