Rango

On the tail of another Latin-American-themed animated film that begins with the letter ‘R’, comes “the story of a chameleon with an identity crisis”.

After the frustratingly cryptic teaser, we get a much more enticing trailer, this time revealing more of the plot. It’s like ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ meets a Spaghetti Western.

Apple Trailer

I especially like the Elf-Owl Mariachi band, who I suspect will be the storytellers much like the Muses from Hercules. :slight_smile:

How do you keep up with all the new animated features? :open_mouth: I’m mildly interested,thanks to Johnny Depp. :smiley:

First thing that stood out to me was the red-tailed hawk which actually SOUNDED like a red-tailed hawk (correct me if I’m wrong - I supposed that was a red-tailed hawk). Usually that ‘scream’ is used for American Eagles, which actually, make silly chirpy sounds. I’m impressed by Nickelodeon, for once.

I still think that Chameleon is a bit into the Uncanny Valley, but everything else does look cool. And of course, Johnny Depp is always funny, so yeah.

The animation and character designs look better than anything else Nick has tried (regarding CG). I tend to ignore the voice acting because that’s just to bring in thee money. We’ll see how the visuals hold up.

The designs seem to be really weird, in a bad way. I guess on their own they’d be okay, but some of the characters sort of mishmosh (especially the ones at the end of the trailer). There’s not a real consistency from what I can see. The environments are nice, though. It might be alright, but I’m not sold. It’s nice to see a company taking risks, at least.

I haven’t watched the trailer yet, but I hadn’t even heard of this movie until reading this post.

I just don’t like how Johnny Depp’s name is larger than the title of the film in the poster. I really hate when this happens; no actor is more important than the show or moive itself.

Spend as much free time surfing the Net for updates, and you, too, can be a movie geek like me! xD

I learned something new today!

I’m also a bit undecided on the character designs. On the one hand, I really like Rango’s design, what with his ‘giraffe’ neck and his unorthodox fashion style (Hawaiian with no pants?). The Elf Owl Mariachi band as well. But it seems strange to me that some of the animals wear clothes, while the less ‘civilised’ ones like the hawk and the horned lizard don’t.

And of course, the whole miniaturized desert town existing along with the larger-human characters not noticing. Sort of like ABL, I guess. I also don’t really dig the whole surrealism the film, though it looks like a great film to watch if you’re inebriated or something. xD

Did anyone catch the Fear and Loathing reference? :wink:

I have just now heard about this one! I am really impressed by the look of the film. The animals are so realistic! Major difference from Nick’s other films (Back at the Barnyard) look wise!

What really hooked me was the Johnny Depp and it being directed by the director of Pirates of the Carribean.

I love how blunt they are, haha

[spoil]“But the lizard…he’s going to die”[/spoil]

I also like how the town’s called “Dirt”!

It looks like an interesting cast! Johnny Depp, Abigail Breslin, Isla Fisher, Ned Beatty… and Harry Dean Stanton. This seems like his type of movie. All old westy like.

I want to see it.

That said, Johnny Depp is a terrific voice actor, so I’m not complaining.

Depp’s voice fits the character well enough. As for the look of the film, it’s… different. I actually thought the trailer was kind of fun. I might see this if it gets good reviews.

New Rango trailer.

movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810079248/video/23501065

Visually it looks amazing, but the story looks like it’s nothing special. The trailer didn’t convince me to go see it. I’ll wait for the reviews. I didn’t know NIckelodeon was behind this movie. I thought that an animated movie with Johnny Depp and seeing what it was about, would have been something very different.

I’m intrigued. I really love the spaghetti-western vibe to the whole film.

I’m really excited for this movie, I love the animation and character designs (especially of the rattlesnakes). It also looks quite funny.

South America and Johnny Depp are the only things holding my interest in this film. :frowning:

It looks a bit more north than South America, but I agree Johnny Depp adds to the awesomness of this film.

Wow, I’m super stoked! (Please excuse my exclamations, I’m easily impressed :stuck_out_tongue:). One week after Rio’s 2nd trailer and now here’s Rango’s turn to show us the goods!

The story is pretty familiar. A Bug’s Life comes to mind, but I think there’s probably many more films with an ‘accidental hero’ trope where the-protagonist-defeats-a-formidable-enemy-and-the-villagers-mistake-him-for-a-warrior, but I’ve got a brain-fart or something at the moment.

It really does have an ‘El Mariachi’ look to it. I’m not surprised if it was hugely inspired by that series (I have only watched ‘Once Upon A Time in Mexico’, which I immensely enjoyed and coincidentally starred Mr Depp as well).

I’m disappointed snakes are once again the villains in the story, but I do like the character designs (has a very surrealistic Tim Burton look about them). The supporting cast list is equally impressive: Timothy Olyphant (as the ‘Spirit of the West’???), Bill Nighy, Alfred Molina, Ned Beatty (whose character hopefully doesn’t smell of strawberries!!!), Isla Fisher, Harry Dean Stanton and Abigail Breslin.

It looks more Central America-ish, probably Mojave Desert. The red-tailed hawk and elf owls are indigenous species. But I’m as excited as you to see Johnny Depp as a Hawaiian-shirt-wearing chameleon!

Speaking of which, is anyone excited to hear more of that Mariachi Band? They remind me of the Muses from Hercules. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, whatever. I guess Latino-ness is holding my attention. Mexico, then? That’s even better.

Okay, I’m sorry, but that trailer creeped me out. :laughing:

I love creepy, abstract, surreal things. This might be up my alley. Also, seconding (thirding?) that Depp is a great voice actor.