Megamind

Do you mind Megamind?

• Mega-awesome!
  • Never mind.
  • Mega-lame!

0 voters

[size=84]Obviously, Edna Mode wasn’t their tailor.[/size]

Well folks, the trailer for Dreamworks’ next project after Shrek 4 has just been released; ‘Megamind’! Which is way better than the original title ‘Oobermind’.

Megamind Teaser

Dreamworks hasn’t quite escaped the trap of making its characters look like its voice actors. But Will Ferrell seems to fit the bill so far as a nefarious supervillain plotting to take over the world. Nice use of an AC/DC classic, and I’m pretty curious about his mutant henchman and the setting (a declaration of a manifesto in front of a live audience, perhaps?).

Tina Fey, Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt are also set to star. The usual A-list rollcall.

The website also has a brief synopsis. Let’s just say it’s like the inverse of The Incredibles. You’ll know what I mean when you read it. :wink:

Personally, I think it’s a poor strategy to release so many films in one year, especially one already overcrowded with superhero spoofs (Kick-*ss, Despciable Me, and possibly Iron Man 2?).

Your thoughts? Pixar rip-off or another Dreamworks winner?

Mega-Lame!
It looks a little too like that Despicable Me, and who goes around saying how evil they are in that fashion. Or whatever. Even though the plot hasn’t been fully released it’s probably going to turn out that something bad happened in his childhood, so he has to act evil. In a comedic way. :unamused:
I hate Dreamworks. Well, most of the time.
And to be honest, it’s probably not a Pixar-rip-off. :cry:

I’m actually intrested in seeing this. I’m probably going to say that this movie is going to be no where as good as TI, but I just want to see it.

I’ve certainly seen better, but it doesn’t look like it’s gonna be another Shrek 3. I may actually see this one when it’ll come out, but I’m gonna have to wait for more information. So, I chose never mind.

I don’t get it why everybody seems to compare this to the Incredibles. Wow, it’s got superheroes, so it must be a ripoff!!1!!1! Sheesh people… :confused:

Robert Downey Jr bailing on this movie is a huge bad sign that this is gonna suck.

I was skeptical when I heard of this, then I heard Will Ferrell was in it. I then learned that Tina Fey is in it, causing more negative feelings in my stomach. I may see it, but I voted lame, just because it’s Dreamworks SKG, and it looks lame. And it’s not that it looks like a rip off of The Incredibles, Badger, they just took the concept, not necessarily the plot. Either way, DW has taken a lot of Pixar’s ideas, so it’s an easy thing to assume.

I saw the trailer before HTTYD and was unimpressed. I almost think calling it a rip-off of anything is giving it too much credit. I vote “lame.”

He didn’t bail on the movie. He just didn’t have time to be in it, due to filming other movies.

I actually think that this movie looks kinda interesting. I mean, I love Will Ferrel, I might see it just because of him :laughing: I’m not really a Dreamworks fan, but I think I might make it a personal goal of mine to see this. I’d really like to :wink:

Mega-Lame.

I’m not the biggest fan of Will Ferrell anyway (Stranger than Fiction and Elf are exceptions) but regardless this movie reeks of typical DreamWorks crap. Let’s check the list…

Cast of only celebrity voices? Check.
Pop-culture gags that will probably be out of date tomorrow? Check.
Insert genre here-gone-wrong story? Check.
DreamWorks Expression?

Check.

My prediction is that this will be the worst DreamWorks movie of the year by far.

Ugh, LAME. :confused:

How to Train Your Dragon was so many steps forward would have made me so hopeful for DreamWorks going in a better direction… But seeing the trailer for Megamind it’s like they decided to make a movie using all the bad stuff from the Shrek sequels and Monsters Vs Aliens and didn’t want to make another decent movie… ;x

I’m willing to give this a chance. Remember Dragons had a terrible teaser, but the subsequent trailers improved in quality as more footage gets released. Shrek 4 and Despicable Me (DM is Universal’s challenge to MegaMind) have already had several trailers and they’re all still underwhelming. Once a meatier version gets out, I think we should be able to make a more informed opinion.

As the vote currently stands, only one person each think it’ll be good or average, with an overwhelming 9 saying it’ll be super-bad. :slight_smile:

To me that HTTYD teaser didn’t show enough for me to form an opinion on the film, at least not a negative one. The difference between that trailer and what we’ve seen so far with Megamind is the former was more safe because of how little it showed. With Megamind they’ve already shown us the kind of humor they’re writing. :neutral_face:

Here’s the newest trailer–>Megamind Trailer

Well, what do you all think?

Even though I was intrigued by the leaked plot of the bad guy saving the world after killing the hero, I was very put off by the teaser (plus I despise Will Ferrell), but dang it, this one made me laugh. The human animation looks really great in this one. And i kind of like how it’s a Superman spoof, and that the bad guy might just finally win. I like how the ‘Lois Lane’ character isn’t a complete damsel in distress. And I would totally LOVE IT if the hero’s girl ran off with the villian!!!

So we’ll see, I guess. I think I’ll wait for more trailers before I make my decision.

Wow, I think Megamind just pulled a ‘HTTYD/Avatar’! :open_mouth: It’s what I refer to when a film releases an underwhelming teaser, but their actual trailer is way better, and actually convincing! Of course, it could’ve been a ‘Despicable Me’ or a ‘Shrek Forever After’, but IMO, it thankfully isn’t!

From the start, you already emphatise with the ‘villain protagonist’, and the love interest. And the hero antagonist is also pretty funny, reminds of Johnny Bravo for some reason. Some pretty spectacular shots (though Dreamworks still hasn’t progressed beyond stale architecture from Monsters vs Aliens). Love the humour, it’s very witty and ‘adult’ in style, without resorting to cheap fart jokes or puns.

I actually think I’m looking forward to this! :slight_smile:

Hmm, I can’t say I’m impressed so far. I do like the general idea of it, but I have a feeling that it’s going to be done in that very Dreamworks-esque manner, and the signs are pointing towards that as others have said- an all-celebrity cast is quite worrying. I’d like it if they did do this well, because it’s an interesting twist on the usual superhero genre, though it’s not the best time as it’s a genre that’s pretty saturated at the moment.

It looks a bit better and I’m more likely to see it. I don’t think it will be a HTTYD however at all (which was better than most of Pixars own even).

But I think it might just miss the mark of KFP, but not by TOO much. I think it would almost definitly be better than Bee movie and Shrek 3 for example.

Have to wait and see.

But it does seem better. I’m not blown away really though but thedriveintheatre has a point about sometimes trailers not doing things justice.

The new trailer looks better, but I’m not totally sold. It’s funny and all but it doesn’t look extraordinary, though as previous posters said the same thing could be interpreted from the HTTYD trailers. I will definitely see it, anyway, since it definitely looks above most of the lower end of the Dreamworks spectrum.

Poster:

My only beef: this movie comes out 6 years to the day of another CGI superhero movie. Just guess. :wink:

If I were to rate Dreamworks animated films by the end of the year based on projected outcomes, it would go:

1. How to Train Your Dragon
  2. Megamind
  3. Shrek Forever After
    Which is really, what I’m guessing 90% of forum members would say anyway at this point.

But I am hopeful this will be, at least as good as Monsters vs Aliens (ie enjoyable fluff, but nothing particularly memorable or affecting). I may be wrong, though. I hope Dreamworks proves me wrong, as there are the makings of some deep emotional content in the trailer if they stick to the plan. :slight_smile:

You’re kidding right? :open_mouth: Checks IMDB Holy… that is totally wick-
:smiley: