Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Funniest animation movie I have ever seen in my life, the storyline was great, I thought it was hysterical, 10/10 no doubt. Anyone else?

I got back from seeing it awhile ago. Here’s my review:

Plot Synopsis:

”When hard times hit Swallow Falls, its townspeople can only afford to eat sardines. Flint Lockwood, a failed inventor, thinks he has the answer to the town’s crisis. He builds a machine that converts water into food, and becomes a local hero when tasty treats fall from the sky like rain. But when the machine spins out of control and threatens to bury the whole world under giant mounds of food, Flint finds he may have bitten off more than he can chew.”

Just to set the record straight, I’m not a fan of most non-Disney Animation, non-Pixar animated films being released these days, and even my faith in the former was just recently renewed with last year’s Bolt (which has topped Pulp Fiction as my personal favorite movie of all time). Sure, every once in a while, a brilliant piece such as Coraline will come along, but honestly, I find that to be one of the relatively few exceptions from this decade. So, with that said, I initially wasn’t looking forward to seeing Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. What further detracted from my excitement were the trailers, which led me to believe that the film was going to be strictly targeted towards children. Having just seen the film, though, I am happy to say that all of my fears were put to rest.

Visually, this is perhaps one of the most spectacular animated movies I’ve ever seen, with literally every frame being a feast for the eyes. There were moments, especially throughout the movie’s undeniably thrilling climax, in which my jaw just dropped in amazement. Not to throw in so much hyperbole, but this truly is one of the best animated films in terms of pure eye candy. While there’s so much else in this movie to enjoy, the visuals alone make it worth the price of admission.

The vocal performances in Cloudy is some of the most impressive ones I’ve heard in quite some time. Both Bill Hader and Anna Faris as Flint and Sam, respectively, capture the essence of these two socially-awkward, smarter-than-you-might-think type of characters perfectly. Overall, I felt these two characters had some real chemistry, and as a result, I thoroughly enjoyed watching their relationship evolve throughout the course of the film. Mr. T is also terrific as the city cop, Earl, delivering some of the most gut-bustingly hilarious lines in the entire film. With that said, this is quite possibly the funniest animated movie that I’ve ever seen. To put it simply, there were a couple of moments in which I literally thought that I was going to be ill.

I walked out of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs with very much the same feeling as I did with ‘08’s aforementioned Bolt: astonished by how mediocre I initially expected the film to be, and how enjoyable it actually ended up being. The only thing keeping this film from getting a 10/10 in my book is – even with the few scenes that managed to tug at my heartstrings - the lack of an emotional punch powerful enough to get me choked up. However, given the film’s quirky nature, I view that as a mild complaint at best. Go see it, folks.

9.5/10

From the trailers, this looks absolutely ridiculous and too kiddy. But with all these positive reviews, I’m really tempted to see it. The visual style is a little weird to me, mainly in the characters. They look like they were meant to stay as 2D drawings. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it, though.

Interesting. The plot is quite harmless and the characters are likeable, so I may give this a chance (if they screen this in 2-D, I don’t see any reason to pay more for this one).
I’m surprised with the RT ratings, not to mention the American release date kinda snuck up on us.

This movie seems to be an utter waste of money. I remember this book, it was like 10 pages long! How are you gonna make 2 hours worth of movie from that without destroying the original plot? there was no inventor in the book. Plus, I hate the way the whole thing is animated. The character designs looks poorly drawn up.

Yes, this movie has AMAZING potential. I’m definitely going to see this movie in theaters! :slight_smile:

DirtyBirdy: I think it’s more or less built on the grounds of the book, but not a direct representation of it, sort of how 9 was. There was another film I was gonna use as an example, but I forgot, hehe.

ffdude: There’s tons of examples. The first that came to mind that look similar in style and theme is Horton Hears a Who. But there are lotsa others, the upcoming Fantastic Mr Fox, and long-released Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Tale of Desperaux… :slight_smile:

Back from seeing this. A great movie, far better than I expected. It was absolutely hilarious, and overall great in every aspect. Just remember not to take it too seriously, and you’ll love it. The 3D was the best I’ve seen. SEE IT!

I just got back last night from seeing it and it was pretty good. I really enjoyed it and it was pretty funny and entertaining in 3d. I was shocked that Mr. T was in the movie… I wasn’t expecting that. He was hilarious.

Somewhat of a side note(?) on the 3d: I thought it was cute with the little kids that were sitting a few rows up from my boyfriend and I. When the Christmas Carol trailer popped up in 3d the little kids were trying to catch the snow. I wished they would have showed the Toy Story 3d trailer at my screening just so I could see how the kids would react to Jessie when she reaches out towards them with her hands. XD

Already a topic: pixarplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4422

Hmmm… Maybe this should become an exclusive review thread? Strange that it didn’t click with me reading this that there was another thread - because I read the other thread.

Well, I went to see this as a small birthday treat (my main treat was seeing Walking With Dinosaurs Live), and I have to say it was definitely one of the funniest animated films I’ve ever seen. Sony Animation have pulled themselves up from the ground, as I only really started to hear of them when I first watched Monster House (which I thoroughly enjoyed and regarded highly when I was at a younger age). Seeing it though, it really pulled it off. Lucky I went into the cinema hungry, because I was extra hungry when me and my friend came out :laughing: . Eye candy yes, and it can, for definite, rise a large appetite.

I would recommend to see it personally, but of course, we all have our different opinions of the film… but so far, feedback seems to have been positive from others. I could not help but nod to your review Rare Addict :slight_smile:

This movie reminds me of Ratatoullie… :confused:

I don’t know if I’ll ever go out of my way to see this, but I have to say, the art style, though really out there, is incredibly appealing to me, though I can’t quite decipher why.

EDIT: I should be a tad more specific, I am referring to the character’s art style mainly, though the movie itself appears to look great as well.

I just saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs today, and I thought it was awesome!
It was absolutely hysterical and fun, with a lot of heart and a fun storyline.

I think everyone definitely needs to check this one out.

It’s quite possibly one of the best non-Pixar computer animated films I’ve ever seen.

Watched the movie earlier with the girlfriend…

It should really be renamed… Cloudy with guaranteed Awesomesauce

Other than a Disney/Pixar/Aardman release I’ve not laughed so hard during an Animated feature… Its bang on the money, and I am now in search of the book, so I can/could use it for the education of english in a primary school!

Its just sooo good!

Saw it the other night. Was hysterical. The guys behind Clone High really did a good job directing this one and it really benefitted from that whole trademark sense of humor they have.
Plus Bruce Campbell and Mr T were fantastic.

Mama Mia! This movie is getting rave reviews like it’s the food apocalypse!

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs has got critics hungry for more:

Bryko614 - “SEE IT”

KarmaWolf: “Funny and entertaining”

DinoGirl: “One of the funniest animated films I’ve ever seen”

Disney_Guy: “Absolutely hysterical… with a lot of heart”

Captain Pan: “Cloudy with guaranteed Awesomesauce”

FigmentJedi: “Fantastic”

Taste the adventure in Digital 3-D. Now showing!

I should be a spin doctor. :sunglasses:

TDIT: Nice. I remember you did the same thing with Coraline. :stuck_out_tongue: