Rio (2011)

blueskystudios.com/content/c … .php?id=30

This is Blue Sky’s next film, after Ice age 3. I’m surprised the release date is 2011. :open_mouth: We might be seeing a teaser for this at Dawn of the Dinosaurs. I doubt it though…

Sounds kinda good, I don’t really know just yet though. I tend to like Blue Sky movies so I hope this is also up to their regular standards.

I am posting some information about ‘Rio’ and Blue Sky over at the Ice Age3 thread, and don’t want to double post the same thread. I would imagine that there isn’t much info out about this movie, and thx gootness, I hatem der spoilers.

This sounds really awesome actually. I love Ice Age and Horton!!!

And I love Brazil and Rio de Janeiro!!! This is exactly my short of thing.

But this macaw who moves to Rio kind of reminds me of Walt Disney’s “Jose Carioca” from the 1940s (Three Caballeros/Saludos Amigos). He’s a green macaw/parrot who is a cigar smoking, alcoholic womanizer. One of my favorite Disney characters!

^ Yeah. I thought that too… but this Rio parrot is more true to the animal he’s based of from what I’ve seen. Less humanized, I mean. Oh, I’m sorry. That made no sense. :laughing:

But alas, I’d love to see this film when it comes out because frankly I love blue animals, and I like Blue Sky, so I guess if they try their best it’ll be great!

Yeah, this is basically the reason why Pixar can’t make Newt (though personally I think they should anyway). I like how good the animation was at the beginning of the trailer, but I feel like we’ve seen birds far too much in animation. That’s why I would much rather see Newt cause of it’s uniqueness. It’s also a bit frustrating for me to tell by the characters that the two blue birds chained together could have been Newt and Brooke all this time. I do think Blue Sky is one of the better CGI studios out there nowadays in terms of quality (better than DreamWorks but only 2nd to Pixar) but I still would have liked to see Pixar take on characters like these.

Looks nice, but I would of course have preferred to see Pixar’s take on this instead. And yes, we have seen way too many animated birds at this point (especially penguins :wink:).

Sounds familiar…
Still, the trailer looks pretty good. The animation and designs are nice. George Lopez is putting me off though.

I agre with pretty much everything you said.

Yeh, George Lopez is putiing me off quite a lot as well.

The film looks like it could be decently funny though.

I have to say, I really didn’t like the character design of the people. They looked sort of weird to me… I’m not sure how to explain it.

I did like how they were chained together. I really want to know what happened to cause them to be thus trapped.

It looks quite sweet, I guess. Nothing ground-breaking, and as many others have said, I would’ve preferred it if Newt had been able to go ahead instead. Blue Sky is pretty good as animation studios go, and Rio looks like it’ll be a decent film at least.

We already have a thread on Blue Sky Studios. Please keep all discussion on their projects there.

pixarplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1317

Locking up.

Bill, if Dreamworks (Shrek Forever After, How to Train Your Dragon) and other studios (like Universal for ‘Despicable Me’, or Lionsgate for ‘Alpha and Omega’) can get threads for their own movies, perhaps you can consider letting Rio having its own thread? :slight_smile:

Just asking your opinion… is it alright to unlock this one?

But while I’m on the subject, I’m really excited for Rio after seeing the trailer. In fact, it’s not so much a ‘plot trailer’ as more of a vignette (like the teaser for Ice Age 3), or possibly even a scene from the movie!

As I said on the ‘Alpha and Omega’ thread, I couldn’t care less if Rio drew inspirations from Newt or any other ‘road trip’ movie for that matter, unconsciously or not. Yeah, the ‘chained to each other’ bit is reminiscent of Bolt and Mittens, and the whole ‘falling through the sky onto various things’ was done before in Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (I haven’t watched it yet, but I saw that scene as a preview clip)… but let’s give them the benefit of the doubt.

I really love the character designs, the animation especially the scenery (probably the most lush and beautiful jungle vista since Up) and the voice acting. George Lopez’ character reminds me of Robin William’s Ramone, but otherwise, he looks to be an endearing mentor/comic-relief character. And of course, Neil (CWaCoM) and Anne (Alice in Wonderland) sound so great in their respective roles, I’m beginning to enjoy their pairing!

I read John Powell will be scoring the soundtrack, and if his stellar work in HTTYD and the Bourne films is anything to go by, I think we can safely expect this to be a cracker (I’ll refrain from any “Polly wanna…” jokes).

Needless to say, I can’t wait to go to Rio! I can’t wait for the trailer to see if my first impression proves true. I think I’m gonna watch the teaser again… :smiley:

I agree with thedriveintheatre on this one, this thread really should be unlocked, so I’ll unlock it now.

If there’s one thing I do like a lot about Rio, it’s the fact that it’s not a sequel, it’s something fresh and original, with new characters! Definitely a plus point in my book.

pixarplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5144

Or maybe you should lock it.

On TAMATER’s request, I’ve migrated everyone’s posts from mentaguru’s thread, except the original poster (the controls don’t allow me to do this, maybe admins can look into this?). But don’t worry, I’ve quoted your post, mentalguru. Feel free to repost if you want it under your name. :slight_smile:

My word, I’m really obsessed about this teaser now. I’ve watched it about five times already and it never ceases to amaze me every time. Maybe it’s the cute and charming characters, maybe it’s the exotic locale (it’s winter in Oz now), maybe it’s the epic orchestral piece (as they tumble down the mountain) followed by the catchy ‘Mas Que Nada’ remix by B.E.Peas, or maybe it’s the whole ‘mystery adventure’ aspect of it (like I experienced with Up’s teaser).

I dunno… I showed it to a friend and he was pretty ambivalent, although he did laugh at the parrots bouncing off the bikini bottom.

I really hope this will be another imaginative Blue Sky winner along the lines of Horton and Robots.

What about Ice Age?

I agree with you though. This looks like it is going to be very good! :smiley:

I totally agree with that second statement! Huzzah! New, fresh films and characters always strike me more than sequels.

And I love blue animals and birds, so I will definitely be seeing this one. And the Rio de Janeiro (SP?) scenery looks really impressive. After the fail fest Ratatoing I about lost all faith for the place in animation… So yeah, I hope Blue Sky will make something nice of it!

Looks okay! I was like, “Oh God,” when they bounce off the BIG bikini bottom. I’m suprised to see George Lopez here, but that’s cool.