The Brave Little Toaster

TBLT is one of my favorite non-Disney/Pixar animated films! Though, since John Lassiter was somewhat involved with it (let’s face it, it’s what got him fired from Disney!), it could be indirectly considered Pixar. I believe that the film has a timeless and endearing quality with a well-written and witty script, surprisingly good animation and stellar (though by no means superb) voice work. The music is my favorite thing about the film. Van Dyke Parks is truly an underrated composer, and ‘Worthless’ is perfect in every way. So, who else loves this wonderful film?

I used to watch The Brave Little Toaster when I was a little kid. I haven’t seen it for at least 10 years and I can’t remember what the plot was, but if I remember corectly, I loved it every time I watched it.

I loved that movie! Lampy was my favourite because he was the goof of the group, but the rest were adorable too! I must credit this film as one of my inspirations for my final-year project.

Anyway, awesome, awesome movie. It spawned two decent sequels too. Wasn’t Mr Lasseter involved in this? This was the film that got him fired from Disney, if I’m not mistaken, but not before he (and the Pixarians) left their holy mark of A113 on the Master’s door. I think Joe Ranft voiced one of the characters too.

The only thing I didn’t like as a kid were the nightmare clown scenes (Death by toilet electrocution) and the junkyard climax (The scary car crusher). Those scenes really traumatised me and I would fast-forward them, though I could probably watch them without my hands over my eyes now. :slight_smile:

Oh gosh, I used to watch this film all the time as a kid. Good memories, and terrifying ones…

thedriveintheatre - Dude, we’re basically on the same page! Lampy was always my favorite character, as well, and I laughed like crazy when my sister and I caught the “A113” reference once we knew what it meant. :stuck_out_tongue:

The feeling is mutual regarding those disturbing sequences, by the way. The whole thing with the clown was terrible, and the bit with the blender scared me, too, but the absolute worst segment involved that magnetic… thing in the junkyard. Gosh, I hated that part. I had nightmares for weeks. To be honest, it’s the only thing that makes me literally shiver when I think of it…

I hated that part with Toaster and the flower, too. Saddest scene ever. I still cry during that bit.

– Mitch

I love this film…since i was young i loved the idea of riding off into the horizon and this movie set that in motion. There are many parts in the original that are really bizarre and scary but the storyline is great.

If I’m not mistaken, Toaster falls into a bathtub in the nightmare scene. But maybe you’re right, I just always remember it being a bathtub.

I used to watch TBLT all the time when I was young! Loved that movie! Lampy was my favorite too. Also liked the radio. It’s been so long since I’ve last seen it. I think I will have to watch it when I am home for the summer!

I kind of vaguely remember this film…I’m sure I watched it once when I was younger but have forgotten all about it since. And yes, I do remember loving Lampy too! :laughing:

I have the first film on Video and have seen the other two. Love the first one the most though, good songs and cute animation. I’m with you guys in saying Lampy being my favorite, he’s just so funnyXD
I’d say Blanket was my least favorite though.

Yep. John Lasseter was working for Disney as an animator and he wanted to do the film with traditionally animated characters in a 3D environment (the idea for it coming from an animation test he did for them based on Where the Wild Things Are [url]Where The Wild Things Are - Early DISNEY CG Animation Test - YouTube), and not only was Disney scared of it being too expensive but they fired John because he was so excited about the idea that he was already starting work on it without their approval. So ironic that he’s now in charge of Disney animation.

Ah, The Brave Little Toaster would be that one movie that described my childhood. It instilled a love for inanimate objects coming to life and nightmare fuel. :laughing:

I must say that Lampy was my favorite character, too. He was cheerful, funny, came up with crazy ideas, and did some impressive heroic sacrifices (I always got chills as a kid when he electrocuted himself).

But yes, the air conditioner scene still had me look away for years, and the junkyard scene was fascinatingly creepy. I think some people somewhere analyzed the song for social undertones and whatnot, but I forgot most of them.

I thought this movie was really cute and I like it a lot. It kinda does make you think that inanimate objects are alive. I havent seen the movie in a very long time so I cant really remember much about the actual plot. I do remember I liked the electric blanket best though. And I think my brother liked the lamp because at the time he had a similar one in his room.

I was VERY unfortunate to have grown up watching BLT: To the Rescue. Hey, it got me started on Lampy, anyway. I love Lampy X3

But I decided to watch the original and loved it :smiley: ! My favorite songs were “City of Light” and “It’s a B-Movie”.
Hah. I even made a “fan trailer”…kinda. [url]Brave Little Toaster fan trailer 1 - YouTube Land Before Time music :smiley:

I guess the one thing that left me in the most horror was the flower scene. That was so depressing :frowning: . And the chase scene in the junk yard with that magnet. Jeez, that magnet. I was also quite “shocked” by Lampy’s moment of greatness, but I just loved that swift transition between that and his talk with Toaster in the Blanky-tent.

I really wish I had watched the original more when I was little. I really do.

sings and leaves Time flies by in the city-of-light, life stands still in the country. There’s no time for a fuss or a fight as we tra-vel the laaaand

Aw, I want to see this film SO BADLY. D: I like the character designs and animation…

but alas, all copies I’ve seen for sale are Dutch. I don’t like Dutch voiceovers. Heck, even the DVDs I found only have Dutch options available! D:

Ooohhh I remember this movie! I would watch it at my grandparent’s house when I was little. They still have it. I didn’t know John Lasseter was involved in this movie.
I don’t remember much of it either, but I remember the air conditioner. I kinda felt sorry for him. All I remember about the trash scene were these colorful little boxes. I don’t think I had a favorite character, but I had a least favorite: Blankie. He was sooo whiney and it got annoying.

Maybe I should take it home and watch it again…my sister would probably like it. And I’ll understand it a lot better now.

I GAVE YOU A LINK FROM MEGAVIDEO AND YOUTUBE D8 ! But the character designs are awesome. It’s really weird how the real kirby vaccums look so DIFFERENT from Kirby. I’ve seen at least two recently, and while I’m like “Hey, Kirby 8D !” I’m also thinking "You’d think he’d be a bit thinner :confused: "
And I really want a Lampy lamp. But, I’m getting one like him that has TWO heads! Inheriting is awesome!

Oh lol of course xD But I’m being a annoying brat and wants to get the DVD or VHS. For some reason I enjoy movies way more when I’m watching them on my television. :smiley:

I’m watching it for the first time ever tonight, and I’m so excited. I guess I’m the only kid who grew up in the 90’s without seeing this movie, but better late than never. I’m aware of the movie’s history as well as it’s connection to Mr. Lasetter, but I’ve never actually seen it, and now I will! Expect a full review when I return, bye!

MY REVIEW:

Wow, just wow. That might have been one of the best 2D animated movies I have ever seen. It is now a personal favorite film of mine, and I plan to put it on my Top 100 Films list. However, although I now love this movie, my God is it scary, and my God is it sad! Now I know why everybody has been talking about this movie so much. If it doesn’t traumatize you as a kid with the nightmare scene, or the gutting of the blender scene, then it would have traumatized you with the A/C scene, or the flower scene. I love all the voice actors, too. I like how the toaster himself sounds completely sincere and honest despite the [spoil]Hell[/spoil] he and his friends must go through. I also love the A/C, who I swear sounds exactly like a psychotic Jack Nicholson (who is my favorite actor). Surprisingly, the songs are really good, and all have catchy beats to match the lyrics. My favorite is “Worthless”, despite the ridiculously disturbing scene it accompanies. I sort of wished it was slightly more sad, but that’s what you get for a childrens film. At least this movie has the flower scene, which I’ve heard mentioned numerous times and can now live the sadness of it’s Frankenstein-esque emotions. Overall, I love this movie, but now I can see why John Lasseter was fired for this. It’s a completely different type of movie from the traditional ones Disney was used to, and there are a lot of scenes that show where the 3D backgrounds could’ve taken place. It’s horribly dated, but it’s a memorable and important piece of history to Pixar, and an enjoyable one at that.

Also, I loved the A113 reference, as well as Joe Ranft’s cameo voice appearance.

Although I’m glad I saw this now then several years earlier. The similarities between The Brave Little Toaster and Toy Story 3 are remarkably uncanny. Of course there’s the main reason that the owner (Andy in TS3) has now outgrown his old “toys”, and has never used them in years. Now as the owner is going to college, the appliances must find a way to return home. Now I will always think of BLT when I see Toy Story 3. Also there’s the similarities in the infamous final scene from both BLT and TS3. [spoil]First of all, the appliances are pulled by the villains into a dumpster where they are taken to a trash dump. Not only do both dumps in these movies look similar, but that’s not even the best part. Then, the toys are picked up by a huge magnet and are dumped onto a conveir belt where they are to be sent to their deaths. Now it isn’t exactly the same, as the death in BLT is a car-compacter, and in TS3 we have an incinerator, but everything else is identical. [/spoil]

I’m glad I finally saw this movie, and now I feel like a new person. I obviously give it a score of 4/4, but on a Pixar scale… how about 3 clowns out of four. This is Chuckles closing off our daily broadcast, see ya!