"Pixarland" Theme Park Concept

This is from a post I did on a Disneyland forum I frequent. Thought you guys might be interested, too :slight_smile:. It was inspired by a rumor that Disney may be putting a Ratatouille-themed roller coaster in the Paradise Pier section (“land”) of Disney’s California Adventure theme park - there was much discussion about how the very Parisian setting of the movie would fit in with the pierside carnival theme of the land. It was also mentioned that a Little Mermaid - themed ride might be coming to California Adventure’s San Francisco-themed section.

This isn’t exactly fan-fiction, but it is a fan-based imaginary thing I made up, and it definitely isn’t fan art, so I thought it would go here :slight_smile:.

Disneyland Forum abbreviations:

DL = Disneyland
DCA = Disney’s California Adventure
DLR = The Disneyland Resort, which includes Disneyland, Disney’s California Adventure, the Downtown Disney shopping district and the Disney-owned hotels.

Disney is known for films that transport us into another world - a magical, fairy tale world, or at least, a distant land in another time period. They have and do make films that are set in the familiar modern world, but most of those don’t get made into theme park attractions (I don’t think we’re going to see “Parent Trap’s Twin Spin Ride” or “Freaky Ride-Day” at the parks anytime soon) Anyhow, Disneyland reflects this “transports you to another world” concept.

Pixar films, on the other hand, take place more or less in our own modern world, but seen from a unique perspective (toys, bugs, fish, rats, etc.) or with some kind of twist (superheroes exist, the world is populated by cars, etc.).

Instead of trying to shove Pixar’s modis operandi into the Disneyland mold, what if Pixar was able to create their own Pixar-themed park the way Disney created Disneyland half a century ago - from scratch.

Let’s imagine for a moment that it’s 2007 and John Lasseter and his Pixar pals have taken the creative reins at Disney (that’s the easy part :wink: ) - but Disney’s California Adventure was never built* and Disney execs. are looking to add a second gate to the DLR. Lasseter & Co. have basically a blank slate to work with. What would the park look like?

Just as with DL, I don’t think all of the attractions would have to be Pixar-based - there would be room for some originals the fit the same basic idea of seeing the world from a unique perspective, or with a unique twist.

(Suggestions to work this idea into existing Disney theme parks can also go here.)

*Just for the record, I like DCA, and think the California theme could still be workable.

You will notice a lot of “could,” “possibly,” “maybe,” and “I’m not sure what this will be” Hey, I’m not gonna get too definite with plans for something that will probably never realy be built :slight_smile:.

It’s a challenge to group Pixar films into lands, since each film is so unique, but I have tried to arrange the film-based lands in such a way that they will transition into one another and not just be BLAM! now we’re in this film and then BLAM! now we’re in that film.

We start with my most problematic idea: the park’s answer to DL’s Main Street, U.S.A. We enter the park and find ourselves on Emeryville Avenue: a street themed to an idealized Emeryville, CA. Having never been there, I don’t have too many ideas for this…

At the end of the street will be a large Iconic Structure (don’t know what this will be yet) which will house the enclosed Andy’s Room Pavillion. The area surrounding the pavillion, including the park’s Hub will be themed to Andy’s backyard, which will make for easier transitions to other lands.
(Possibly, Emeryville Avenue would be dumped in favor an Andy’s Backyard-themed entry street, to get you into the world-from-different-perspective theming from the start, and also get the idea that we are beginning in the world of a child’s imagination and moving out into all these other adventures.)

The Pavillion will have a high vaulted celing and use forced perspective to make you feel that you’re the size of a toy. Shops and attractions will be housed in giant playsets or even gianter pieces of furniture. There could also be attractions based upon popular toys with no direct references to Toy Story.

At the foot of a giant Andy’s bed, or a giant shelf full of toys, will be the enterance to the Toy Story Adventure ride, housed in an elaborate Buzz Lightyear playset, surrounded by cardboard western buildings (as seen at the beginning of the first Toy Story). The plot of the ride would involve some sort of mission to Sid’s Room, and/or Pizza Planet and/or Al’s Toy Barn.

Okay, now let’s go on a clockwise tour of the other lands, which are situated a la Epcot’s World Showcase around Nemo’s Lagoon (it’s behind the iconic structure, we’ll get to it later). From the Andy’s Backyard Hub area, to the left will be the enterance to “a bug’s land” (the name of the existing land in DCA, possibly called Ant Island instead, after the location of the film.) Giant (fake) blades of grass, already tall in the Andy’s Backyard Hub, grow gradually taller until we’re the size of a bug.

In this land will be a more full length version the familiar Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train, and a It’s Tough to be a Bug with an improved first half that doesn’t involve the bug performers’ target “accidentally” moving multiple times. There will be an interactive area, Flik’s Lab, where you can try out som of Flik’s inventions. The centerpiece will Flik’s Flying Machines (not to be confused with the DCA spinner Flik’s Fun Flyers). This would be a ride with suspended vehicles shaped like the fake bird that Flik designed to fool Hopper. This could be a full-fledged coaster, or something milder with only a “wild” feel to it, as we go on a freewheeeling test-run of the invention (if this is set post-“Bug’s Life”, it could be a “new-and-improved” version of the invention he’s testing). Possibly, this could use Soarin’ (IMAX screen simulator) technology, instead - but from a bug’s eye view.

The fake giant grass gradually begins to get shorter, and we pass a giant postcard that says “Visit Paris,” passing into La Rue Ratatouille. find ourself looking upon a rat’s eye view perspective of Mabel’s cottage from Ratatouille. Remy bursts out the window every 15 minutes, and he and the “broken” glass appear to freeze in mid air (done with wires, or something). He is holding on to Gusteau’s cookbook, but instead of a recipe, it says the time - Pixarland’s answer to the Small World clock :slight_smile:. The cottage is where we will find the enterance to the Ratatouille ride, which will have a better name than that. When they said “spinning coaster,” I pictured wheels of swiss cheese, so that’s what the vehicles could be here.

The French countryside seguays into a giant Paris alleyway. Around the corner (and up a hill) we could transition into a human-sized Paris, where we would find a normal sized Gusteau’s and La Ratatoulle Bistro (not sure which of these should be an actual working restaurant, since story-wise, they shouldn’t both be open at the same time). Housed in Gusteau’s could be an Epcot-esque attraction about the history of food in Paris (a full-fledged attraction, with animatronics and the whole nine yards, NOT like DCA’s Boudin Breadline and Tortilla Factory) or the history of Paris in general. Or, instead of being inside Gusteau’s, it could start out as a cruise on the modern day Seine and transition into a cruise through historical Paris. There could also be a Circle Vision film on the real France, a la Epcot, housed in a faux-Louvre.

The city of Paris segues into Incredibles City. However, instead of walking down the streets of the city, we get the superhero’s point of view - the land is set on the rooftops of the city. (Possibly, the transition could be a recreation of the scene in Ratatouille where he sits on the Paris rooftop and looks out at the city) In the gaps between the buildings, forced perspective makes us appear higher than we really are, with minatures down at the “street” level. There would be rooftop shops, designed to cater to superheros, and a space-needle esque rotating restaurant.

Mission: Incredibles (too cheezy of a title? :stuck_out_tongue:) will take us on an adventure to Syndrome’s Island (a large, Matterhorn-esque Volcano situated on island in Nemo’s Lagoon. which looms in the “distance” beyond huge letters that spell out the attraction’s name, on the roof of one of the “skyscrapers”.) The vehicles could be some kind of Paar family car (say, a minivan) that becomes a super-vehicle. I would want there to be the feeling of experiencing The Incredibles’ powers, so there would be an instance, perhaps, of something heavy “falling” on your vehicle and being “thrown off” (Mr. Incredible’s strength) a moment of extreme high speed (Dash,) passing in front of a mirror and becoming invisible (Violet) and where the vehicle (and, if possible, you) would appear to stretch (Mrs. Incredible) Yeah, we’ll get Jack-Jack in there too, somehow. This would probably be the wildest thrill ride in the park, by virtue of it being based on Pixar’s only PG-rated film.

Housed in Edna Mode’s house (perhaps by this time we’ve transitioned to ground level) will be an interactive “design and become your own superhero” attraction, hosted by an animatronic Edna.

Also in Incredibles City is the IncrediPods transportation system, which may be the Disneyland-Railroad-esque transportation system that circles the park.
Incredibles City transitions into another urban setting, Monstropolis. This time, were on ground level and we’re human size, but as in the movie, objects are on multiple scales to suit the various sizes of the monsters who inhabit the city. The largest structure is the Monster’s Inc. Factory which houses Monster’s Inc: Roaring Doors, the rumored suspended coaster based around the “door factory” chase sequence from the movie.

Housed in the Monstropolis Museum of Banishment is an attraction that showcases all the monsters that have been banished to our world. This could be done as a boat ride send-up of “it’s a small world”, or it could be done as a more serious Epcot-esque ride looking at the world’s legendary monsters - or possibly, a sub-attraction devoted to each idea.

As we pass Mike’s new car (from the cartoon short), we transition into Carland (the name of the proposed new land for DCA). We pass a racetrack (either the one from the beginning of the movie or the Los Angeles one) where the Cars: Lightening Drive attraction is located. Here, you get to ride in either Lightening, or a young rookie “trainee” of his, depending on the story, going on a race that takes you not only down the speedway, but offroad into Radiator Springs.

You will also be able to get to Radiator Springs by walking there. However, if you want to feel like your a car gliding down the highway, you can step on the “fast lane” speedramp - an airport style speedramp alongside the path.

All of the Cars characters’ shops in Radiator Springs will be recreated. Also housed in Fillmore’s shop will be a Circle Vision film about The Real Route 66, framed as a “the truth is out there” expose, including some strange two legged creatures that Fillmore tells us he’s seen in his “dreams” (humans).
Flo’s V8 Cafe will be a juice bar, sponsored by V8 vegetable juice. Luigi’s Casa Della Tires could be a donut shop, with tire-patterned donuts. The Wonder Wheel hotel will be represented by a restaurant, with views of an “Ornament Valley” diorama, and Nemo’s Lagoon.

As we walk out of Radiator Springs into the “desert”, we pass the RC car from Toy Story, and we find ourselves back in Andy’s Backyard, having completed a full circle.

Beyond the Iconic Structure (still don’t know what it is) we find Nigel’s Landing, the gateway to Nemo’s Lagoon. I really don’t know what to do with this yet. Not sure if it should be themed to Sydney or just to a general sort of port.
Bridges extend across the lagoon to the Paris section of the La Rue Ratatouille land, and Incredibles City.

The Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage glides around the lagoon, and there’s probaly some sort of transportation boat ride as well. There would also be a “touch-tank”-type attraction.

I was thinking to have the inevitable nighttime light and water spectacular in Nemo’s Lagoon be “started” by the lamps, Luxo and Luxo, Jr. Also, I thought maybe they could illuminate a John Lasseter statue, which would be somewhere in the Toy Story section and represented as a giant collectible action figure.

Room would be left for upcoming Pixar films. Wall-E (2008), with it’s technological theming might go somewhere beyond “a bug’s land” (for the Flik-invention connection) or Incredibles City, while Up (2009), which it’s theme of travel (from what I’ve read) might go somewhere beyond Ratatouille’s Paris, or Carland.

Feel free to post any Pixar theme park ideas you have here, as well :slight_smile:

Dude, I love your idea about the Incredibles in a Pixar THemed Land. I have ideas too. I like your idea about the monopods carrying you to everywhere in the park, but I think there could be a ride like that where they take you through the entire story, you know what I mean?

I think Edna MOde’s place could also be a shop too instead of a place just designed for Super SUits.

I think that each character should have like their own attaction. FOr example, a hig-speed roller coaster for Dash, an area for games as a test of skill and sometimes strength (Mr. Incredible), a Water ride in like a violet colored pod (Violet), and a dropping ride (Elastigirl).

THe idea of it being set in Nomanisan island is creative too, but I think it could divide in half, like one is in Nomanisan, and the other in Metroville.

And maybe character meet and greets, a “Mirage Grill” for food and Frozone’s Freeze and Treats for dessert, and oh yes this,

An Incredibles show where they teach kids how to be SUper, special guest of THe Incredibles and Frozone.

These are just rough ideas. I have more though.

That sounds really awesome! (I gotta admit the Cars land sounds really inticing! There are so many rides/attractions that one could pull from that movie) A Pixar park would be cool in Disney World as well. Although you’d eventually have to make a decision about what movies to keep there since Pixar puts one out almost every year. I assume that would be the kind of park that’s “never finished” because it would always be changing. Kinda like the Disney parks now I guess.

Hmm. Wow. You could make the wagon wheel hotel a real hotel (kind of like the ones at Disney world for if you stay for a sizable amout of time) and I can just picture all these banished monsters singing “it’s a small world after all” and you could have a themed soveneer shop for every section. And you could have sections for shorts as well (I would love to see Knick Knack, Bounding, Mike’s New Car and Your Friend The Rat) I might be neat to do this thing that’s similar to the “Honey, I shrunk the kids” bit at the Disney parks except from insect size for A Bug’s Life or rat size for Ratatouille or both (if it was either or rat size might be the better one, even if just because there is a line between fun and traumitic, being rat sized is not as worry some as ant sized) Hmm. What else could there be

i think for cars, they would have to put in a rollar coaster. you know, the whole “fastcar” thing. oooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr
how about piston cups go carts?

I see Cars taking over the autotopia racing cars.

You know, that’s what first came to mind when I saw Cars. The Disney World version though. I thought the Cars were gonna ‘take over’ the Tomorrowland Speedway

They can turn the Tommorowland Speedway into one Cars drive-thru adventure. They drive from the Piston cup to Radiator springs, and back to the final race.

There are limitless ways to fill suck a PixarPlanet (Yes I think it would be the best name ofr a Pixar themed amusement park)
Fully themed attractions and shops, mascottes walking around. It could be disneyland but then with Pixar.

In the WALLE Land part, there could be a HUGE WALLE or a WALLA with a door and windows that could be a resturaunt! There could be a ride, like "WALLE’s Tour of the Universe" (I think that this might already be a plan for a ride, but…), and the gift shop would be designed to be on the Axiom, and could sell like robot toys and EVE Arm Laser Gun toys and BnL shirts and cups and stuff. The exit would be in a swirly tube with a walkway in the middle, to make it look like the hyperjump back to Earth.

Dan*E: Any ideas for MO? He was such a cute character, he has to be incorperated some how.

OH!!! I just had the GREATEST idea EVA!!! OK, so there could be an area after the WALLE ride, and you and another person (or just you) would get a “pipe” with a circular pad on the end of it. There would be a projected image of the Axiom’s floor on the ground, and WALLE would speed by on the image and get his tracks all over a lot. You would “clean” the tracks with the stick-pad things that interact with the projection, like a Nintendo DS screen and stylus. There is something similar to this in Walt Disney World in Orlando, in EPCOT, after the Spaceship Earth ride in the giant ball called Spaceship Earth. Maybe a robotic M-O Animatronic could shout and panic at the dirt! :laughing:

The more I imagine the possibilities of Pixar Land, the more I want to make it a reality.

Yeah they could, but Radiator Springs looks more like Frontierland than Tomorrowland. I know! We could make a giant track in Tomorrowland that runs to Frontierland and back! I know, I know, that would be way too big (therefore not a great crowd mover) and the way the park’s laid out it would either have to go under Fantasyland, way around it, or right through it, so it would never work…but it’s fun to think about.

I’ve been meaning to say this, but I keep forgetting. The “Iconic Structure” should either be Luxo Jr. (or just Luxo, or both) with the Luxo ball, Pixar’s old logo, or the Pixar Planet logo from this website!! Plus, we should start to think about possible Pixar’s Shorts Sections for the park. I just thought of a name: One Man Band Land!