Night and Day (Toy Story 3's Short)

So everyone probably remembers seeing random dinosaur concept art from Pixar last year in the background of some Up behind-the-scenes videos:

[url]/Film | Reporting the Reel World

Many probably also saw some new images from that film last night:
slashfilm.com/2010/02/19/mor … -at-pixar/

Now, /Film is reporting that this film is most likely a Michael Giacchino-scored, Teddy Newton-directed short called “Night and Day”.

The idea is that this will be attached to Toy Story 3, which makes sense as the shorts usually take about a year to do. I WOULD say that this was a feature (as I had suspected in August), but Pixar never gives a totally untested artist a feature-length motion picture as their first directorial gig.

Any thoughts on the film from anyone? Or do you think this could be for something else entirely?

Odd title, but I would have to agree that this is short film material. Not sure if this will be with Toy Story 3 or not, because if you’ll remember back when Toy Story 2 came out they re-released one of their classic shorts Luxo, Jr., so I wanted to assume they would do that again with a different one (maybe Tin Toy?).

True, but since they only had 9 months to do Toy Story 2, they really didn’t have the resources to do a short as well. I also think it was Pixar’s 20th anniversary, but I might be mistaken.

I think the shorts have become far too important for Pixar for them to skip a year.

As usual, Pixar likes being cryptic with its short films and we have no idea what the h*ll they’re about. Just the way we like it, I guess.
The title reminds me of that cheesy Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz action film also coming out this summer. Anyway, dinos look like an interesting topic. :slight_smile:

If there’s one thing that Steve Jobs companies have in common, that’s it right there…

Oh, and your “Bad Amphibian” trailer is fantastic :smiley:

Hmm, this sounds interesting. I agree that it’s very likely that an all-new short will be made/is being made for Toy Story 3 and this concept sounds like it might be cool, though it does have a strange title as others have pointed out. I’ll be watching this space.

It reminds me of a series of childrens books called Danny and the Dinosaur about a little boy who plays with a dinosaur all day long. I don’t really remember that much about them, but it took place in modern day.

Per Don Shank: “It’s not about a dinosaur.” This short gets stranger by the minute.

It’s called “Night and Day”? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that it’s about [spoil]what happens to dinosaurs during day and night[/spoil] That sounds like a rather strange title for something to do with dinosaurs, though.

Interesting. I do wondering what the title Night and Day would have to do with dinosaurs. If indeed, it is about dinosaurs…

Maybe, and I’m just guessing here it’s about [spoil]this boy who dreams about dinosaurs during the night and maybe the day too? That’s why it’s called Night And Day, haha bad guess perhaps…[/spoil] :smiley:

Well I guess it has nothing to do with dinosaurs!

slashfilm.com/2010/03/11/fir … day-night/

but there we go-- we had everything but the story right! Now the question is whether the film is 2- or 3-D. I’d guess 3D, but it seems like you just can’t guess Pixar’s next move anymore :smiley:

I had a feeling that title was unusual for a short about dinosaurs. If it really is going to be 2D I would love to see that :smiley:, but now it makes me even more curious as to what the dinosaur thing is about. I actually felt a dinosaur short would have fit in nicely with Toy Story 3 cause of Rex and Trixie.

I love the look of it so far, even if we haven’t got much to go on! This story synopsis definitely goes more with the title as well. I hope it’s in 2D, especially if it’s in the same style as in the title poster, but yes, looking forward to finding out more about this one. Thanks for the link, Kashif Pasta.

I think this will be my favorite short from Pixar!

It looks fantastic!!! I love that Michael will be doing the music, but now I’m left wondering what were the dinosaurs about then? :open_mouth:

this sounds interesting. can’t wait to see how it turns out whether it’s 2D or 3D.
i haven’t seen pixar do 2D animation yet though since I don’t have all the DVDs because some don’t come with all the features that Blu-Rays do, and I don’t have a Blu-Ray player. But I’m going off topic. Haha.

I’m getting a similar sort of artistic vibe from [spoil]the opening titles of Monsters Inc[/spoil]. :slight_smile: So this is like [spoil]One-Man Band, but with abstract environmental effects as physical manifestations[/spoil]? Trippy! :smiley:

Oh, neat! It almost reminds me of the old style Disney shorts. That would be kinda neat if it was in 2D. Or maybe it’ll be a mixture. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

According to Cartoon Brew, animation historian Jerry Beck commented that while the day and night images inside the characters will be computer animated, the short will be in 2D. I can already tell this is going to be a fun short!

It also reminds me of Rhapsody in Blue from Fantasia 2000. That particular short reduced me to tears when I watched it years ago, for some reason. I’m not kidding!

Hope N&D is just as emotional!