Music from the shorts

I’ve just listened to the audio commentary of One man band and Lifted from the Pixar Shorts Collection DVD, two shorts that involved Michael Giacchino as composer. He’s done a particular work in both cases, and I thought I would love a recording of his themes. Then I thought deeply, finding that I would love a compilation of all the themes from Pixar Shorts :laughing: [original and not]

So here’s the list (something missing or wrong… check and complete, please :slight_smile:)

• André & Wally B.: classic pieces rearranged (from “Il barbiere di Siviglia”, Gioachino Rossini)
  • Luxo Jr.: jazzy piano, probably original
  • Red’s dream: original sax and the clown jingle (it’s popular but i don’t know the source)
  • Tin Toy: no score
  • Knick Knack: original, by Bobby McFerrin
  • Geri’s game: “Flambée Montalbanaise”, Gus Viseur et son Orchestre
  • For the birds: “Big high wire hop”, Riders in the sky
  • Mike’s new car: something by Randy Newman and from his Monsters, inc. score
  • Boundin’: original song by Bud Luckey
  • Jack-Jack Attack: Mozart’s “Dies Irae” (and others)
  • One man band: original themes by Michael Giacchino
  • Mater and the Ghostlight: “Behind the clouds”, Brad Paisley (originally written for Cars, i think)
  • Lifted: original (and incomplete :smiley:) themes by Michael Giacchino
  • Your friend the Rat: “Plan B”, James G. Dashe and Jim Capobianco

In bold the songs available in commerce. The sax from Red’s dream can be ripped, also Luxo, Knick Knack (but with sound effects), and Boundin’. In One man band and Lifted the themes can be ripped (but maybe there’s more then one theme). There is enough stuff for our Pixar Shorts Music Compilation :smiley:

You mean like a mix of the songs?

BTW, is the DVD set out there already?

I think that a total combination of the songs would be a neat idea, but it would be one long song. A true Pixar music fan would listen to it for days though.

no, a compilation, a CD with a track from each short

yeah, for once we’ve been lucky in Europe :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, i’m listening in loop to the Geri’s piece and “Behind the clouds”. And I’d like to listen to “Big high wire hop” too, but I can’t find it (it is in the “Monsters, inc. Scream Factory Favorites” album)

I like have got the Boundin song on a repeat on my music player. I can never get tired of that bright happy tune.

I really love any of Michael Giacchino’s work, and I love the music from Lifted because it is a bit eerie, but also very subtle.

Heheh. I could. :wink:

Rachel, ah, you could huh? I can understand, maybe it just isn’t your kind of music I guess.

Alex Mandel composed the score for Your Friend the Rat, and his music blog contains downloads of selected audio clips from the short.

If you are reading this Alex, thank you thank you thank you thank you! :mrgreen:

~~=oP

rotfl, a song titled “Why rats are cool?” is a must-have :smiley:
I was reading the blog but didn’t see the downloads. Thank you!

Look for the music downloads on the right side of his blog.

~~=oP

Same here. It’s so cheerful, I love it :smiley: It always puts me in such a good mood…

You can say that again. LBER. Perfect song to listen to on a beautiful day, or when you just want to feel happy again.

I really liked the music for One Man Band. So much so that I put it on my MP3 player so I can hear it whenever I want. I cant say that the music for the other shorts really grabbed me in any way (of course, I havent seen most of the early ones, because I dont have the DVD yet)

The entire score for Pixar’s short “For the Birds” is on this CD:

Monsters Inc Scream Factory Favorites

It’s the last cut, “Big High Wire Hop.”

link edited by PixarVixen ~~=oP

The other song used in Jack-Jack Attack is Mozart’s “Turkish March”. :wink:

~~=oP

I’ve had “Plan B” stuck in my head all day, and I was wondering if there was some site where I could download the song. It’s not on Alex Mandel’s blog, so I don’t know where to look.

Could you guys help me out? :smiley:

Don’t forget Rondo ala Turka too.

@PixarVixen and Dash
I believe those are titles for the same piece. Anyway I wrote it previously in the post, but then I thought it was not so important (except for Mozart lovers :stuck_out_tongue:) and deleted it, leaving just one representative title and the magical words "and others… " :smiley:

@Leonardouille
I ripped the song “Plan B” from the DVD and converted it into mp3 format… but I don’t know if I can upload it somewhere LEGALLY :stuck_out_tongue:

@CartoonBoy
by the way I bought “Big high wire hop” from iTunes Store (from that album), and it’s in .m4p protected format :unamused: I can listen it only on iTunes :unamused: :unamused: wasted 99 cents… but the song is funny :stuck_out_tongue:

I think they’re from the same composition but they’re very different segments and you have to look for those titles specifically to get both parts.

Take a bunch of your “protected” mpg4’s and burn a CD.

Re-import your CD as an aiff file, then change them back to mp3’s. Share away.