Your Up Reviews

Are you ranking the Pixar films, and not even including Up?

Here you go guys - our Up reviews.

onemoviefiveviews.blogspot.com/2 … eview.html

(They are two long to repost here, so just follow the link above.)

• EVE,
    One Movie, Five Views.

In a nutshell I too thought Up was a very good movie. I thought Carl & Ellie were just adorable together [spoil]pity they had no kids…[/spoil] but that probably would have disrupted the story. Dug was funny, but I really really liked [spoil]Alpha with the chipmunk voice! When his collar got readjusted to his ‘normal’ voice, I just thought it was weird, lol![/spoil]. The animation is spectacular, some shots look exactly like photographs, and especially the animation on the dogs, was so realistic! I’d probably place this movie somewhere in the middle on my list.

Oopsie. There, I edited it. My bad. :blush:

I loved UP! I can’t wait to see it again. I don’t think it was better than Wall-E, but it’s definitly up there on my list.

The only problem I had with the movie was that it seemed somewhat predictable at certain parts.

September, September, September… God, it’s so long! Dx

After how WALL-e totally surprised me, I want Up to be better than the previous Pixar film - as impossible as it might be. And even if it is, they are of two different genres. People’s tastes might be different, so a fair judgement might not be properly given…

I think whether Up is better than WALL-E is really up to personal opinion.
I, personally, think Up is better than WALL-E - but I’ve also heard other people say Up came close but WALL-E is still their favorite.
When someone says Up is better than WALL-E, or WALL-E is better than Up - neither claim is true, it is just an opinion.
So when you go to see Up, try not to treat it like some sort of competition where it HAS to beat WALL-E. Just enjoy the film, and hopefully it pleases you just like any other Pixar film.

I think it’s great that Pixar has created such a diverse library of top-quality movies that all have their own genres. I think it’s quite evident that their films are successful when each and every film has their number one fans. I know on this site alone, there are fans who love Toy Story the most, Cars the most, Ratatouille the most, and fans for every other Pixar film. It’s great that Pixar films don’t outclass one another with each new film that is released - it is great that they are making diverse universe that give something for everyone to enjoy, and continue to do so to draw in new fans.

You’ve changed my spelling of “judgement!” :laughing: It is British spelling, actually. Heh heh.

And as for it being a competition, not exactly the reason I want Up’s bars to be raised… well, up. I guess you could say that after seeing how WALL-e, despite its subtle appearances when the teaser first came out, astound audiences with its brilliant story, I would really want that same experience while watching Up; being surprised and leaving with a gasp - a good one, of course, not one given after being totally disappointed, as unlikely as that is to happen. :wink:

That’s the reason we go to movies, to go on amazing journeys we’ve never been before and thus, be surprised. And as for Up, I want it to be historical as well, thus my claim for it to be an ‘Up’ in the level of entertainment (and amazement).

Hmmm, that’s weird. I didn’t change your “judgment”… Perhaps my computer did it automatically. I don’t know.

Anyways, with what you said, then yes - Up certainly raises the bar in terms of the quality of animation. They’ve raised the bar with each film released since Toy Story. So considering we’ve come a long way since Toy Story, why do so many people still consider it the best Pixar film? It’s the story, and the characters, and the emotion that was put into the film whether it was from the expressions on the character’s face or the beautiful music that was played. Without any of those qualities, Toy Story wouldn’t be so timeless. You can say that for all ten Pixar films - without those simple qualities, pretty animation will only bring us so far.
So that was kind of my point when saying there is no best Pixar film, because it ultimately comes down to personal opinion.

For me, personally, Up is my new favorite Pixar film. I did not come to this conclusion simply because it is the best looking Pixar film to date. I mean, the film on its own is absolutely beautiful - but what really captured my heart was the story it had to tell, the characters that I could relate to, and the sense of emotion it had.

So yeah, with that said, if you’re looking at Up in terms of being the best looking Pixar film to date, then the bar has definitely been raised.
But there is so much more to that; you will realize, and that will ultimately lead to whether or not you like Up more than WALL-E.

Nah. If I want pretty animation, I would just go watch [i:3dadffs2]Caroline[/i:3dadffs2] or heck - [i:3dadffs2]Treasure Planet[/i:3dadffs2]. Not that [i:3dadffs2]Up[/i:3dadffs2]'s animation isn’t excellent, just that it isn’t the bar I want Pixar to raise. Not really a fan of drawing myself. :-\

No, the thing I always like about movies - or more specifically, Pixar movies - is their story and characterization. As you said, how they relate to you, how the story moves your mind from one place to another hole. That’s the ‘umph’ I want to feel, and well, I couldn’t say much about whether if I would get that same sensation again till September. :wink:

About the animation, wait till you see it. :wink:
In my opinion, the animation looks better than WALL-E. Up may not take you to space and beyond, but the bar has certainly been raised since WALL-E, and is among some of the most beautiful animation I have ever seen in a movie.

Watching Up with the love of my life may have actually brought us closer together.

Thank you, Pixar. You folks continue to change my life for the better.

While I was watching Up, I was kind of in a stupor. Brilliance was before my eyes. I left the theater with an odd tinge, and it took me a moment to really “get” what I had seen. And my mind kept replaying it and replaying it…Pixar had REALLY REALLY done it again. It really changed me.

Up was ok for me.
Definitely not one of my top Pixar ratings, but it had a lovable storyline. Funny, unexpected moments, but I think they gave too much away in the previews/commercials for it. I saw it with my friends, we all liked it. We all burst out laughing after we heard [spoil]Alpha’s squeaky voice[/spoil]! We didn’t even hear what he was saying, it was just hilarious! I don’t think they should have [spoil]made his voice normal again. It would have been funnier if the sqeaky voice was his normal voice :laughing: [/spoil]
In terms of the score (sorry I’m a musician, have to rate it! :slight_smile:, it was ok, but I don’t think Michael could have done a better job with it! The whole [spoil] “story” of Carl and Ellie[/spoil] was accompanied by a beautiful “music box” sounding melody, which was reflected throughout the whole movie. Very nice. I sort of “knew” Michael did the score, haha and I was looking at the credits to confirm, but I was talking to my friends during that time, and the only time I didn’t look at the screen was when his name was on it! Just my luck. But since he did the short, I sort of assumed.
The short! Reminds me, very funny and cute! Didn’t realize it was the short until around the end though. (It was a slow day…) I loved it!
Overall, 3/5 stars.

I just got back from seeing UP seconds ago…and it…was…AMAIZING!!!

THE BEST MOST BEAUTIFUL, MOVING, MASTERPEICE of a movie I have EVER seen in my WHOLE 13 years on this green earth!

I cried I loved it so much!

[spoil]Carl by far was my favorite character. I really felt for him. When his house was burning I wanted to burst out in tears.

My favorite part was when Carl looked at Ellie’s Adventure Book and saw that she had really filled in the “Stuff I’m Gonna Do” section with all her and Carl’s memories! That made me smile alot.

The music was my favorite of any Pixar film as well. The best peice of music in the whole movie was when Carl and Russel were running away from the blimp! It really made me say WOW!

I thought Partly Cloudy was the PERFECT short for that movie. Especially when they were in the air with the lightning, and when Carl and Ellie saw the shapes in the clouds (more specifically the babies). They really did a great job of tying it all together. [/spoil]

If I could see it…oh…i don’t know…1 million more times…I WOULD DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT. :smiley:[/spoil]

Well, just got back from seeing it with some friends, and they might have distracted me from it, but it seemed short.

It was a great movie, no question there. I loved the regular Pixar things-- the Pizza Planet truck, A-113, John R’s voice and such. It was definitely Pixar, no question, and an amazing. There were a few things, though, that made me wonder…

The animation was great. I saw it in a 3D theater, which probably distracted a bit from it, but it still looked sublime, right down to Carl’s whiskers. The wood and rainforest floor looked a little fake, though, but I think that’s just artistic style. Seeing what Pixar can do, I know they were supposed to be that way.

The plot is where it started tripping up for me. Pixar has always kind of made you hungry for more at the end of their movies… whether or not there will be a sequel. They kind of end it in a poetically unsatisfying way, like Gusteau’s closing with 3 stars in “Ratatouille”, or the somewhat of a cliffhanger ending to “Monster’s Inc.”. All those movies had a great wrap-up, and they were still good.

[spoil]“Up” is the same way. I didn’t like how he left his house there. We never see where he ended up living or anything, or what happened to Russel’s family.[/spoil]

This time, instead of ending it on a high note, and giving you just enough information to think of what happens next to the characters, they give you no information at all. This is a good movie how it is and needs no sequel, but they could’ve ended it way better. It seemed like they were in a rush to end it.

In fact, the whole plot was sped up. We never get to really know why whatshisface was searching for Kevin or anything. The movie was too short, and if they were going to extend it, they could have at least added a minute or two to the ending.

But this isn’t to say this was not a fantastic movie. It was great. I loved The scenes with Carl and Ellie, that was done nice, the dogs were hilarious and I loved Dug and Kevin. There was some great character deveopment there.

There is soo much more great to say about this movie but I don’t have time!
See it.

Tow Mater, yeah, maybe you were a bit distracted from the film. :wink:
For starters, [spoil]the film did explain why Muntz was searching for Kevin. It was even explained in the first 5 minutes of the film for why he was searching for the bird. [/spoil]So to say it wasn’t explained at all, is not true.

As for the ending of the film, I thought it was just fine. If it was weak, then most Pixar endings are weak - considering most of them leave you with the wonder of what might happen next… What happens after Sully opened the door to Boo’s room? What happens when the Incredible family confront The Underminer? What happens after WALL-E and Eve are finally together?
Up’s ending, no different. The ending did just what it was supposed to do: wrap up the story. Everything else is left for our imagination.

For me, the length of the movie was just right - it goes quickly for me because there’s no point at which I’m reaching for the “fast-forward” button, but I didn’t feel they left things hanging.

[spoiler]As Disney_Guy says, Muntz’s motivations were set up at the very beginning of the film. Plus, during the dinner scene, he ends up rehashing how everyone thought he was a fraud, and he’s determined to catch the bird and take it back to civilization to clear his name.

About Russell’s family: At the Badge Ceremony, that is presumably Russell’s Mom sitting with Dug. I am glad we never see Russell’s father. The main theme of Up is about going on with life after loss. Ellie is not coming back, no matter what Carl does, and Russell’s father is not suddenly going to show up ready to be a “Good Dad.” One of the things I love about Pixar is that problems are not magically solved, and usually the main characters have to adjust to a new life that isn’t always what they wished for - but the outcome is still a happy and hopeful one. “You can’t always get what you want - but that’s OK.”

As far as where Carl ended up living - I think at some level, once he let go of the house, it didn’t matter. Someone else suggested this first, but - hey, they brought back “The Spirit of Adventure,” the fabled airship of legendary Charles Muntz, so that ought to be valuable enough to allow Carl to live wherever he wants. Any income from that would certainly be enough to enable him to hire a lawyer to get him out of any court orders - especially since the Suits now have his land, which was all they ever wanted from him. I thought the use of the scrapbook photos in the credits did a nice job of showing the new adventures that Carl, Russell and Dug found together.[/spoiler]

I just got back from seeing the film and it was just simply brilliant. It has everything we’ve come to expect a Pixar film to have and it was just as moving as WALL-E if not more. Until I can fully let it sink in, this movie comes in at a close second on my list of top Pixar movies. WALL-E, for now, is still my number one. But when I see this again, I’ll probably like it even more than the first.

Although, the music in Up wasn’t as good as in WALL•E and other Pixar films, in my opinion. The music in WALL•E just seemed to fit so much more and the spacey feel to it just helped make the movie. But the soundtrack is good and it does make the movie in it’s own way.

Comedy wasn’t bad. It had some great moments and everyone in the theatre laughed. But then again, I don’t see Pixar movies for the laughs, but I see them more for the story and how well it’s played through. The funny moments are just the extra fun and don’t really change the movie. The animation was terrific, I’d say about as equal as WALL-E, although Up had more of a cartoonish look compaired to WALL-E’s live-action look. And finally, the emotional parts were just that, emotional. And of course they, uh… well, they got to me… sniff.

I thought one of the best parts was in the end [spoil]when Carl is looking through the adventure book and finally looks past the “things I’m going to do” page and sees all the pictures of him and Ellie. The little line she wrote in the end of the book was sad but also happy because all this time he didn’t have to live Ellie’s dream, but in doing so, he had his own adventure with Russel.[/spoil]

But overall, the movie was just fantastic. I saw it in 2D, so I can’t compare versions, but it really doesn’t matter how you see it, it’s the story that makes you watch. And like some others… I caught myself glassy-eyed a few times. But looking past the emotion and comedy, it has an amazing story that keeps you hooked until the end and the comedy and drama are just icing on the cake. This movie, “in this fan’s opinion, is nothing less than the finest movie of 2009! I will be returning to the movie theatre soon, hungry for more.” :smiley:

PS: Even after Transformers 2, which looks amazingly good, comes out, I’m sure this movie will still be at the top of my list. And perhaps, next time, I’ll check out the 3D version.

EDIT: I also thought that I wouldn’t like the film (crazy, I know), but boy was I proven wrong! It turned out to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

Well, you do make a point, and I still loved the movie anyways, even after being a bit distracted.

We can all agree that Toy Story, Toy Story 2, A Bug’s Life, Finding Nemo, Cars, Ratatouille all had a satisfying, good ending, right? We see what happens to the characters and the story wraps up nice and tight.

That’s why it’s a bit dismaying that they would make sequels to Toy Story and Cars instead of other movies, because even though I LOVE both movies to death and will love the sequels, it feels like there shouldn’t be too many sequels, and if there is going to be a sequel, use it on something that needs one, or a better ending.

But, in Cars’ case, you want to know so much more about the world of cars, that a sequel is appropriate, as in the case of Wall-E. In the credits and at the end, you get the feel of a “robot” marriage (If you don’t believe me, look at Wall-E’s trailer
as they pan away at the end. You see Wall-E and Eve holding hands on the platform with a crowd of robots that cheer below.), and that Wall-E and Eve live in the trailer and watch the earth grow green, the end.

Then in Monsters, Inc., although I will love the sequel, the ending seemed more complete to me. They changed it into a laugh factory, and Sulley gets to see Boo whenever he wants. Sounds good to me. The Incredibles didn’t need a whole lot of explanation, either. The Underminer was just to show that the superheroes are back and ready to fend off supervillians again. A sequel for that movie would be awesome, but not necessary for a complete feeling.