Why is A Bug's Life so underrated?

I wasnt sayng it wasnt origonal, they may have just come up with a similar idea. im just saying that the fact they put a movie out starring ants right before a bugs life might have lowered peoples opinions.

Never having seen ‘Antz’ I won’t get drawn into any debate on the relative merits of it against ‘A Bug’s Life’ (though I will admit a liking for Woody Allen and am pleasantly surprised to think he would have even considered doing voice work on any film he didn’t write, direct or produce). On the subject of ‘A Bug’s Life’ though here’s why I think it gets under-rated:

1. It was always going to suffer from the stunning brilliance of Pixar’s first feature ‘Toy Story’. Once the mould had been broken with animated films by ‘Toy Story’, any following CG efforts for at least a few years were always going to be placed in the shade, no matter who the studio was that produced the film or the talent involved. For example, how many people would have any care or interest in non-Disney animated feature films after ‘Snow White’ (and there were examples)…it took the audience and the critics a while to understand what was possible with the new animated form established by Pixar, and hence the lower than expected appreciation for ‘A Bug’s Life’.

2. ‘A Bug’s Life’ really is an ensemble film and not really as focused on one character. Yes, I know that Flik is the vital and central character, but when you combine the ant characters, the grasshoppers and the circus insects you end up with about 15 major and minor voiced characters, and unlike in films like ‘The Incredibles’, ‘Monsters Inc’, ‘Finding Nemo’ and ‘Ratatouille’ the viewer can get plenty of value from almost all the characters. For example, Denis Leary’s Francis gets several cool lines and pivotal scenes, and yet he is only one of the 9 insect ‘mercenaries’ enrolled by Flik. In some ways because ABL is an ensemble film and has so many characters with engaging personalities and moments both alone and together, the impact of the movie is dissipated. ‘Toy Story’ and ‘Toy Story 2’ bracketed ABL with essentially buddy film structures, and they were less demanding on our attention than ABL

3. ‘A Bug’s Life’ doesn’t have any stand out musical moments. I know; this is not a conventional idea and has been abandoned by Brad Bird in his efforts for Pixar. But like Disney at its best Pixar has been phenomenal when it combines plot, character and scene with music. I’d venture to argue that we remember moments in ‘Toy Story’, ‘Cars’ or in ‘Monsters Inc’ because of the music. Admittedly ‘Finding Nemo’ is light on with musical set pieces, but unlike ‘A Bug’s Life’ it focuses on a small group of key characters (see my previous point).

Anyway, even if ‘A Bug’s Life’ is a bit unappreciated, it still is a fantastic film and sits as a classic effort in animated film history, let alone as part of the Pixar production list. I love the humour and pop culture references, and there are some wonderfully created animated scenes. And let’s not forget it was ‘A Bug’s Life’ that began the animated bloopers sequence at Pixar. I bet Dreamworks wish they could make something half as decent as ‘A Bug’s Life’

I absolutely agree with Fillmore, and got a point with the Toy Story and Toy Story 2 bracket which are over shadowing A Bug’s Life.

If it wasn’t for A Bug’s Life I would of not be A Pixar Fan today, im know some of you would say what!!! Toy Story didn’t make You a Pixar Fan BLASPHEM!!,just joking there.

But to some they were quite surprized that this puny (you know what they said after that) Pixar Movie A Bug’s Life was the one that made my mind and heart up to give Pixar and CGI A chance.

After that I supported 3 more movies Of Pixar, which
Included Finding Nemo,The Incredibles,An My New Favorite Ratatouille,no offence to Cars and Monsters Inc.,Toy Story Fans.

I don’t know why either. It’s such a nice and fun film. One of my favorites for sure. It hits all the emotions that a good film should hit. I may be blaspheming as a PIXAR fan, but I think I may like it more than Toy Story… though I’m not sure.

Right absolutely, you hit nail on the head perfectly about the Disney
Animated Features over shadowing the non-Disney Animated Features Fillmore, I always felt myself inside my heart,spirit, that alot of other Animation studios druming up there own Animated Features in the 1990’s were over looked an seen as just Disney Copy cats in some way or another for trying to make Tradition Animated Feature Films like Disney did, for Exsample only 2 Animated Features in the Late 1990’s touched some of the glory of what it is like to be Receieved and Accepted,and to Achieve some of their own Disney Magic without being Disney.

In 1997 Fox’s Anatasia made more money than any other Animation Studio trying to challenge Disney at the time crossing 55M.In the U.S.A. - an A little more worldwide in other countries

In 1998 Dreamwork’s Prince Of Eygpt hit the Magic number over 100M. reaching up to 102M. the 1st movie to do such, other than Disney after Walt Disney’s The Hunchback Of Notra Dome in1996.

In 1999 Warner Bros. Iron Giant made A little over 23M.although this was the littlest amount than all the rest,it still to me was Quite inpressive at the time, for A Animated Feature To Make that much at the time. (To me this Animated Features was one of the best Warner Bros. Animation made over the rest.

Then came the late 1990’s-early 2000’s when people began to even stuggle with Disney Animated Movies, like Hercules that was their first Disney Animated Feature to underperform in the U.S.A. only being in 99M. it was A real shock to Disney fans when this happen to, I remember hearing about it from people. An although Mulan and Tarzan were well recieved by audiances both making over 100M. at the Box Office, by the time the 2000’s came Disney’s battle scars began to really show up with, The Emperor’s New Groove only making 89M.,and then Atlantis The Lost Empire Only Making 84M. in the U.S.A. both were the 1st failures for the once great company of Feature Animation on the face of this earth.

But even with A little Dispair there was A little Hope in 2002 when Walt Disney’s Lilo And Stitch Maked over 145M. in the U.S.A.

Then back to the battle grounds for another blow for Disney later in the same year with Another Laskluster Animated Film Walt Disney’s Treasure Planet making only 39M. in the U.S.A. (But I still will always Love Treasure Planet Anyway reguarless of it being A LaskBuster)

After Disney had A few failures I thought that maybe Animation Studios would just say hey look if Disney also has A some of there Animated Features bomb, then it doesn’t matter if our Animated Features bomb or not, we our all capable to succeed an fail, so let’s just give it our best shot,give it all we got,put ourself into them,A still go on making other Animated Features,but I should of known that they wouldn’t do that,now some (not all mind you) decieded to become CGI star chasers trying to be like the next Pixar,when if they would just be themself they can find greatness in them to make great TA/CGI Animated Features, it’s real sad
an heartbraking.

sorry for rambling on like that, I do that sometimes, I agree with what you were saying about A Bug’s Life it was underrated,
because it was so diffrent from Toy Story in certain ways, by
Story and Script,ect. well I like A Bug’s Life after my new no. 1 Ratatouille, well then again I guess you could call A Bug’s Life A Tie with Ratatouille in my Heart for no. 1.

Have A good and peaceful day Fillmore.

An what it really shows in A Bug’s Life is that if people really try and make A Traditional Animated Feature/CGI Animated Feature Film, with Alot of charater roles it can be done,because in A Bug’s Life it is the 1st time I could connect with over 33 charaters all at once, An A Bug’s life has such A Loveable cast,an bang up job on Story and Screen Play,it really made me think and pull at my heart stings,o an just for the record,I have decieded to atleast By Wall-E when it comes out on Dvd(I stop going to watch Animated Movies/movies at theathers in December 2002 - last Animated Feature I Watched at Theathers was Treasure Planet 2 times I loved it.) an also Kung Fu Panda on Dvd (only to Prove that there is life after Shrek at Dreamworks :wink: ) but after that Im done with CGI,I will then be Content with my fill of CGI Animated Films upon getting those last 2 on Dvd.

Have A peaceful and blessed,grand day Netbug009.

33? Seriously? There were that many? O.o

Well in big or small roles it amounts to about 33 charaters, but the point is that I could understand and know where each charater was coming from in certain parts Netbug009, from Filk, Princess Anna, to the other Bugs The Ladybug Guy, I cant remember all there names as of now, and then there were the little kid ants and some of the servents and even the enemies the grass hopers ect. even with all them in the story and script it did not confuse and take away an awareance of the A Bug’s Life Animated Feature itself, unlike some out there, that cant keep the Attention of the audiance on the other charaters outside of the main charaters usually,but this one works good with all the charaters.

Much Peace and Sincereity with Understanding - JA

I Agree with you, “A Bug’s Life” is way underated. Your right about it being sandwiched between the two Toy Story Movies, but that’s just one reason. Another reason could be that it was released during intense Thanksgiving Competition, not to mention that stunt Dreamworks pulled off with “Antz” which was an alright movie but nowhere near as good as “A Bug’s Life”. I think another reason could be the fact that Disney’s marketing strategy for the movie at the time was kind of pathetic. We saw the same with “Ratatouille” with similar results. This Disney’s present attitude towards “A Bug’s Life” is probably because it didn’t make as much at the box office as the rest of Pixar’s films, but who cares! It was just as good and it did what the rest of them did! Break Records and Win Awards! Give the Bug’s more credit!

I am a Pixar fan but if I had a list from all of the films and had to put them in order from loved tons and like but wouldnt watch all the time I would put A Bugs Life, I do live all the Pizar films but I am not keen on A Bugs Life.

A Bug’s life unfortunatly, is too underated, but it’s my third fav PIXAR film. I just loved Flik and Dot, and I’ll never forget the day I went to see it at my 8th birthday, and the two other times I went to see it too.

Also, people seem to forget that this was the first PIXAR movie that presnted outtakes during the credits. I remeber how everyone was almost crying over how funny it was. Toy Story 2’s outtakes were alright, but Monster’s Inc. were hilarious.

Personally, out of every film pixar has made, I have seen them all, but, I think that A Bug’s Life is the worst. It is an awesome film, but, compared to the others, it is the worst.

Okay, I have to recent that. If any Pixar feature is the worse, it has to be Ratatouille. That was an awesome film, but it’s the worse IMO (didn’t interest me a lot, probably due to the boring food theme).

On the other hand, A Bug’s Life was interesting and full of entertainment value. Well, to me, anyway, but I’m sure many feel the same way as well (about A Bug’s Life’s entertainment value, not about Ratatouille’s inferiority to other films).

Also, this forum itself is getting underrated as well. If no one revive it, it would be eaten away by time as the ‘red bird’ had eaten away the mighty Hopper. :stuck_out_tongue:

I never understood why ABL gets so underated. I thought it was a great movie!

:open_mouth: No way.

Everyone knows Cars is. :laughing:

jk, jk. :laughing:

A Bug’s Life is a seriously under-rated film. I wouldn’t classify it as Pixar’s best, but it was a charming little feature nonetheless and had its moments.

Personally, I’m with FONY. I never could like Cars as much as the other Pixar productions, unfortunately.

le GASP :open_mouth:

– Mitch

Oh, I didn’t mean it seriously … meaning I didn’t want offense to be taken. It’s just if I could name ‘the worst’, it’d be Cars. That doesn’t mean I think Cars is bad, it’s just the worst out of all the films … IMO. :wink:

Remember the good ol’ days on the forum, where you couldn’t find “worst” and “Pixar” in the same sentence? :laughing:

And, personally … Ratatouille … I forget it’s about food. Maybe I’m just staring at Linguini too much, but that’s just me. :laughing:

FONY - Yeah, that’s basically the same way I feel about Cars, as well. I think that it’s adorable, and a heck of a lot better than many other animated films out there, but it’s just… “not up to par” on Pixar’s agenda, in my opinion. So yeah, I’m still on your side. :wink:

A Bug’s Life is actually my second-to-least favorite Pixar film, but I still like it way more than Cars. (No offense to Mr. Lasseter.)

Ha-ha! :laughing:

As for Ratatouille: Puh-ha! I think some other people would agree with you there… :laughing:

– Mitch

Mitch: Exactly.

I think anyone who says A Bug’s Life is bad should re-watch it. I watched it a lot when I was a kid, but never truly appreciated it until I watched it in my later teens.

And I know Rachel would definitely agree with me on my statement of Linguini. 8D