Why does everyone hate this movie?

You put Ratatouille last? That’s unusual, it’s one of my favourites, behind Wall•e I think. Speaking of celebrity voices in the English version of Rataouille the health inspector is voiced by Jamie Oliver, who’s a TV chef over here, so that’s kinda cool.

Cars is actually the one Pixar film I have yet to see, but from what I have read it seems that people don’t so much hate it as to it simply doesn’t shine as well as the rest of Pixars films, it lacks the deepness of their other productions, that’s why it scores lower than the others.

Of course that’s not to say that it isn’t fun to watch, it just requires less thought than some of Pixars other films.

Well, it think it’s because the dreaded crude humor poked his ugly head once or twice. Also, because of the merchandice, I think a lot of people assumed it was just for 6-year-old boys, and therefore “uncool.” Also, people say it was an intentional rip-off of a 1991 film called “Doc Hollywood.” I think some thought it too long, too.
However, I think it was a great film. I didn’t like the crude humor, but besides that, I think it is very exciting and funny.

cure you critics!

The naked Chef in Ratatouille? Halos Nach Tariff you got me scanning my copy now… Which “version” is it in the General Release or the Regional versions?

As many US Animation Studios change the voices of Certain minor characters to gain the interest of regional Fans…

thedriveintheatre I’ve never been called hardcore… Is that a good thing or a bad… My Only references to the term are from the WWE… (Yes I am a recluse.)
Hearing Clarkson’s voice as Harv placed me in Histerics and considering that on PAL Blu Rays the Cine-Explore version has the US Voice… The Dialogue is suited to a man known for his manner of speech and well “enthusiasm”

Cars 2 has to have a Particular Brit in it (Even if its just for the British Copies)… The Top Gear presenter Known Simply as… Hamster! I even have the model of car he could fit… 1963 Opel Cadet (Nicknamed Oliver)…
Those who’ve seen the Episode in which they Travel Across Africa will be aware of the Reference here… and how Oliver is one of the Only Cars Purchased by Hamster on a “Top Gear Challenge” "the Other being A Dodge that Dodge refused to give the Show in protest of their comments about the manufacturers cars in previous episodes. So he legally owned the car.) to be brought back home to the UK.

does anyone know the plot to Cars 2?

I have to admit, I disagree, Captain Pan- I hated Clarkson’s voice appearance in Cars. It was just too forced and obvious, even if he does sort of suit the character of Harv quite well. :laughing:

annarborjack- As far as I’m aware, it’s something to do with Lightning entering in races all over the world, and I’m sure a whole bunch of characters from the original are going along for the ride or something like that.

I worry that with a storyline that seems to take the characters away from one of the things I liked about Cars in the first place- the feeling and identity of their home and that whole idea of Route 66 and driving down dusty roads and quaint, little American towns, all that sort of stuff- Cars 2 will lose the identity that the original had. But that’s probably for another thread.

sounds dumb :frowning:

Hey, we aren’t the Pixar writers now are we? If we were, let’s just say the sequel would be the weirdest thing you’ve ever seen! XD And I’m not kidding. If we were the Pixar writers, I’d be in charge of Cars 2 (I’m one of the few on here that actually lives and breathes the movie so. . .) and with my ideas, either the sequel wouldn’t happen or it would be Pixar’s first flop. :smiley:

Anyways, if you don’t think the plot for the sequel is interesting, it’s your opinion. Everyone has their ideas for the perfect sequel and chances are, they won’t come true.

Cars was an odd film for me.

When I initially saw it in theaters in 2006, I left the theaters feeling like I was missing some sort of magical feeling that I normally felt after leaving the theater of a Pixar film… Every other Pixar film prior to Cars (Even after Cars with Ratatouille and WALL-E, I felt that Pixar magic once again after leaving the theater), I left the theater with an expression of “Wow… Pixar really outdone themselves this time, I really can’t imagine how they could top this!” For Cars, it was really the first time I ever left a Pixar film with an expression of just “that was a really fun film” and didn’t think much more about it… I hardly even thought about the film or started geeking out about Pixar afterward like I always would do after seeing a Pixar film… Cars, was just… Missing something… I don’t know what, but it just didn’t leave the greatest impression when I first saw it in theaters.

Now you guys might be getting the idea that I don’t like Cars, but I actually love it quite much, but it took me until watching it on DVD a few times for this film to start growing on me… I really don’t know why I started liking it more after it was released on DVD, but I just did. After watching it a few times on DVD, I started to like the film a little more, then that led to watching it more and more, and I started to love the film just like I do with every other Pixar film.

Maybe my case is just what a lot of people fell for. Maybe Cars was just a film that deserved more than one viewing for you to truly appreciate it. It seems like the true nuts about the film are the ones who seen it a million times anyways, and the ones who do criticize it to its grave are the ones who only saw it once or fell asleep during the film… So maybe that’s telling you something. Either that or I just had a very weird case.

But yeah, that’s my story.

I meant that in the “really cool awesome fan” way, Pan. :wink: Do they sell copies of the movie with the Jeremy Clarkson cameo? I’d love to be able to hear it, I’ve been searching on YT but to no avail. As much as I hate the man’s forthrightness and no-holds-barred opinionated insults, I respect for his brutal honesty and quick wit. Together with Hamster and Captain Slow, they’re the best that’s happened to Brit television. :slight_smile:
I love the idea of a Top Gear cameo in Cars 2, seeing that they’re the most popular auto show on Earth. I have thought about it on occasion, I suppose they could do it as a talk show where they interview various car celebrities, seeing that they can’t ‘review themselves’.

lizardgirl - Yeah, I’m a little worried about the emotional core of the story being lost. That happened with sequels like Shrek the Third and Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull where they lost sight of what made the series so special. Maybe they’d do an urban disillusionment theme (the opposite of Cars rural romanticism), or maybe a lesson on multiculturalism and respect for others’ cultures (seeing that they will be traveling the globe “Eighty Days” style). I don’t know. Again, that would be for another thread, heh.

anaborjack - We’ll agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

LightningandDoc - That’s a little fatalist to assume we Cars fans would write bad sequels to the original. I’ve seen some very very good fan-written sequels… aaand I’ve seen some bad ones. Haha, you know what, I think mine though would be totally messed up seeing I did a ridiculous crossover with a TV show last year. I still have plans for it though… but B.O.T… Yes, there’s always the chance a fan could write a good sequel, even you, so don’t be hard on yourself (talks to himself “Yes TDIT, that’s rich coming from a guy who self-depreciates on a regular basis!”) :slight_smile:

Disney_Guy - I’m the exact opposite. I came away thinking it’s the best film ever and it was the first Pixar movie I ‘fell in love with’. On repeated viewings and in comparison to other recent epics like Ratatouille and Wall-E, I realised it was pretty shallow intellectually, but I still love it for being a total thrill ride (even during the so-called ‘slower’ parts).

I was saying that I’d write a bad Cars sequel!!! God! I must have messed up how I said things! Wouldn’t be the first time. . .

Really, if you’ve read my fanfics, you’d probably understand.

thedriveintheatre As far as I am aware the Appearence of Mr Motormouth is on all UK released DVD and Blu Rays… As it is I might have a solution…

lizardgirl that is Jeremy Clarkson though, as he opens the show it sounds forced… and But compared to what I heard as part of “Cine-Explore”… Clarkson proved a great improvement on the guy who voiced the role! His arrogance worked excellently with the role.

But to say all that As a Top Gear fan… Clarkson isn’t my Favourite… Richard “The Hamster” Hammond, with his KIds TV Series (Richard Hammond’s Blast Lab) Host of the UK version of Total Wipeout, and his exciting books provides better enjoyment, I only hope that in the quest to travel the world in Cars 2 someone notices this Great Glimmer held in the Hamster.

Might have to go watch it now…

umm I don’t know what to say…

LightningandDoc: I know. And I’m sure you won’t. :wink:

Captain Pan: And what would that solution be? :slight_smile:

annaborjack: 'You say it best… when you say nothing at all."
Sorry, couldn’t resist singing that number. I’m such a twerp. :smiley:

Captain Pan- Yeah, you’re right, it’s Clarkson’s style, but I guess I just noticed the accent sticking out so much in comparison to the smooth, American voices of the other characters, in particular Lightning himself.

And I’m sorry, but it’s OBVIOUS that May is the best presenter on Top Gear. :laughing:

thedriveintheatre- That’s another worry of mine- that it’ll become preachy and annoying in a bid to be something worthwhile. When I’m watching a film, I don’t want to feel as if I’m being taught a lesson, even if I am, like with WALL-E.

thedriveintheatre: Well, maybe it wouldn’t suck, it’d be more like “That was. . .different.” It’d probably be good, but it wouldn’t be Pixar’s best. Also, I’m too young to work at Pixar. My ideas would never be a part of the sequel. :sigh:

I would rather be IN pixar flims, not make them!

Heck, I’ve imagined starring in the sequel to Cars for a loooonnnnng time!

Is it just me, or has this thread gone a little random?

I loved the movie. But I don’t think it calls for a sequel. But, if the film makers can create another great film, I guess they should. As long as it’s as good or better than the first one. Heck, if it makes the fans happy, why not? :wink:

Hello everyone.
I hope this message finds everyone well as we are mere days away from Pixar’s latest. :smiley:

I just wanted to drop my two cents on a couple of things brought up on this thread…

First, I argue that CARS had just as many jokes/sight gags aimed at parents/non-tikes as the rest of Pixar’s feature films…the tattoo on Sally, the male car not stopping to ask for directions, cow (tractor) tipping, etc. In fact, of all their films, parents that I talk to (this includes my wife) seem to especially gravitate toward this one (along with Monsters and Nemo).

As for a sequel, the ending doesn’t seem to allow for one as many of their other films do. But much like Toy Story–and the Incredibles, for that matter–, which features a collection of characters, it would seem that the opportunity is there for another story.

As I alluded to earlier, my wife and I are parents of a small boy. We watch a Pixar film at least four times a week. Wall-e is still in heavy rotation. I know it seems to buck the trend, but my wife places CARS atop her Pixar list, even ahead of Toy Story 2, which I find blasphemous. :laughing: