What's your favorite Pixar soundtrack composer?

Randy Newman and his cousin Thomas Newman. They’re the only composers who I’d actually go and buy the soundtrack, legally, from.

I really don’t have a favorite because they’re all so good! But the Finding Nemo Soundtrack and WALL-E Soundtracks were just amazing, so I’ll have to go with Thomas Newman.

Honestly, how can I pick?

I love Randy Newman’s style, the whimsical nature of his music and songs - nothing beats the thrill of ‘Infinity and Beyond’ or the storytelling of ‘Hang Together.’

All the same, Thomas Newman is a master of creating emotion through his pieces, and just creating these lovely space-y tones and melodies. ‘Define Dancing’ is probably one of my favourite pieces, as well as the eerie ‘2815 AD.’ But ‘Finding Nemo’ probably makes me tear up the most, above all.

Michael Giacchino definitely has a knack for creating that ‘epic, old-school’ atmosphere, and like both Newmans, his work also has a gift for storytelling. ‘Kronos Unveiled’ is probably my favourie piece in the movie - I love the tension, and the ‘big reveal’ kind of atmosphere’s kinda reminiscent of a classic spy movie…

[/geeking out]

Randy Newman hands down. Ride Like the Wind and Jessie’s in Trouble are so epic…

For me, it would have to be Thomas Newman. His work just has more emotion than Randy’s or Michael Giacchino. The score for WALL-E is probably my second favourite movie score of all time, and Finding Nemo’s isn’t that far behind.

Randy is an absolutely masterful songwriter, though. Things like “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” and “I Wouldn’t Have Nothing” are fantastic. His work in the Princess and the Frog was also brilliantly catchy, but I’m not sure if that’s really relevant.

As for Michael, he’s been getting better with each Pixar score he does. I wasn’t too enthused with the score for The Incredibles, but Ratatouille’s score was a shining light in what I see as an overrated movie (still great, just not quite living up to the hype), and his score for Up certainly deserved that Oscar.

It used to be Randy Newman, but now it’s hands-down Michael Giacchino. The Incredibles’ and Ratatouille’s scores are ground-breaking and Up’s soundtrack is beautiful. Congrats on the Oscar, Mike!