Up Awards

Congratulations to Pete Docter, Bob Peterson, and the entire Pixar crew for making history yet again! It goes without saying that Up certainly deserves those nominations. Let’s hope that it nabs the trophy in the “Best Picture” category, as well!! :smiley:

– Mitch

I’m overjoyed that Pixar has finally gotten their best Picture nomination. They deserve it SO much! I’ve been telling everyone I know at school, despite the fact that most of them don’t care, but I’m SO happy! Up and Pixar really, REALLY deserve this, and after years of being overlooked they are finally being recognized!

I rest my case. I’m tearing. Listening to Up’s soundtrack. It just like the first time I saw Up. I rest my case. Up will win. Even nominated in Best Picture is such honor.

WOOHOO!!! I’m so happy! :slight_smile:
I sure would love it if Up won BP, but somehow i doubt it, even though Up totally deserves to win.

I joined this forum today to express my joy that Pixar has finally landed a Best Picture nomination. It’s about time.

Kind of a shame that this nomination comes with an asterisk though. I think that if there were only five nominees, as usual, “Up” would not have been nominated. Sad, but true. This is the Academy Awards we’re talking about after all.

If the Oscars had ten slots to fill in past years, a Pixar film would have been nominated years ago.

First off, let me congratulate Pete Docter and the Pixar crew for garnering not just the second Best Picture award for animated film in movie history, but also Best Screenplay, Best Animated Movie, Best Original Score and Best Sound Editing!

I’m afraid I have to share Define: Earth’s sentiments though (welcome to the boards, nice username!). It has been widely seen that the Academy bumped the list of nominees to double of last year because of the failing TV ratings, and also because they snubbed The Dark Knight and Wall-E in favour of Slumdog Millionaire. The increased number of eligible nominees was just a way of canvasing a larger support base of fans for the respective movies, compared to just five. :angry:

That said, though, I’m still very pleased Up has managed to bag so many awards, and though I have a gut feel The Hurt Locker may win the eventual BP- it’s indy (produced on $15 million), it’s contemporary (it’s about the Iraq war!), and it has an attention grabbing theme (what could be a more exciting job than a bomb defuser?), I still will root for Up, fingers crossed… Maybe the academy will make up for ‘missing out’ on Wall-E last year.

Wow, congratz to Pete Docters & Co! I don’t think they will actually win the best picture award, but I’m still hoping…

Add two more awards to the ever growing list: Up just picked up the Annie awards for best animated feature and best director. Congratulations! :smiley:

And one more: Kevin Nolting won the ACE Eddie (the American Cinema Editors’ award) for Best Edited Animated Feature Film (over Coraline and Fantastic Mr Fox).

[url]http://www.ace-filmeditors.org/newace/eddieNominees.html[/url]

Just won two BAFTA awards:
Anthony Asquith Award for Film Music
Best Animated Feature Film

Did not win:
Best Original Screenplay (Winner: The Hurt Locker)
Best Sound (Winner: The Hurt Locker)

Yep, very excited to see another win for Giacchino, as well as the Animated Feature win. MG just has to win the Oscar now!

Oh, and one more “guild” award for Up: the Motion Picture Sound Editors (MPSE) awarded Up for best sound editing in an animated feature. (They actually had 7 nominees in the category: Up, Coraline, Mr Fox, PatF, plus 9, Cloudy/Meatballs, and Monsters vs Aliens.)

I think this is the last of everything before the Oscars.

Oh, I have been reading Awards Daily a lot in the lead-up to the Oscars, and they had a thread of comments on favorite scenes from 2009: LOTS of mentions of the Married Life montage from Up, several mentions of Carl finally looking at the rest of the Adventure Book, a couple of mentions of the Carl/Russell Badge scene, and even one mention of Dug on the porch. Nice to read so much love for the movie on a “general” movie site.

Later - I’m very annoyed with BBC America’s broadcast of the BAFTAs. In order to fit the (tape delayed) program into the alloted time slot, they didn’t show all the awards - and of course, Score was one they skipped. Unless I missed something, they didn’t even do a little voice over going out to a commercial break to announce the winners they didn’t show. At least Animated Feature got on, and Pete Docter got to speak, which was nice.

Aaaaand, one more edit: If anyone comes across a video link for Michael G accepting his BAFTA award, please post it. He was there; he was sitting on the other side of Mrs. Peterson. I’m still miffed they didn’t show that category.

Ah, you beat me to posting it. Just read that Up won the BAFTA for animated feature, and MG won for best score. Good to see.

More excitement, courtesy of the International Film Music Critics Association:

Film Composer of the Year: Michael Giacchino!

Film Score of the Year: Up

Best Original Score for an Animated Feature: Up

and, just for good measure…

Best Original Score for a Fantasy/Science Fiction Film: Star Trek, by MG

Oscars are Sunday! Bring it on! :smiley:

Oh, and 3 more shout-outs for Up, from the Visual Effects Society’s awards:
Outstanding Animation in an Animated Movie: Up
Outstanding Effects Animation in an Animated Movie: The balloons in Up
Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Movie: Carl in Up

Major thanks for the info Karly, MG’s really hitting em hard! And for good reason. Excellent.

Holy cow! I guess Michael Giacchino really needs some sort of dedicated trophy room at this point (if he hasn’t got one already). :wink:

I’m getting my hopes up for Sunday. I’ve just witnessed the power of Up. It was showing at my Dad’s office so we brought her along. She said when nominations came out that it should not have been nominated, her first words after the movie were “I was SO wrong!”

I hope Up made that same impression on those who voted. It truly is an excellent film, all Pixar obsessions aside.

I would love to see the Oscar ballots for Best Picture. I don’t expect Up to win BP, but I would bet money that a lot of people ended up ranking it in their top 4 or 5. It is still favored to win Animated Feature, and Score. (And I’m still hoping that Dug turns up as an animated presenter - assuming they’re doing that this year, although it’s become a pretty regular thing.)

OscarOscarOscar, come on, let’s go! I can’t remember the last time I stayed up for the whole show, and I am going to be useless on Monday morning, but I can’t wait!

I really like Up, but I don’t think that it’s gonna win Best Picture. I think it might win every other category it was nominated for.

UP ust won 2 oscars!!!

Best Animation
Best Music

I’m so thrilled for Docter and Giacchino!! :smiley: :sunglasses:

Congrats on Best Animated and Best Music, Pixar! The ceremony is still ongoing, so fingers crossed for Best Pic… though I wouldn’t place my hopes too high.