Toy Story Replicas (No trading-related posts please)

Found this on eBay.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … %26otn%3D2
It was available in the Disney catalog, so it must have some connection to the similar one in Toy Story. Whether it was an inspiration, or made to look like it, only the release date can tell.

Anyways, Rocky is definately 12", in a scene where he was standing next to the See 'n Say, they were practically identical in height (the See 'n Say is 12").

And also, nice job on the thread, guys. I’m impressed with what toys were made previous to the movie. Although, I think on the front page, there should be a distinction between props and almost look-alikes.

That slink isnt accurate at all.

Nevermind.

No, there is a snake. I had it when I was a kid! I wish I knew what the heck happened to it. it was exactly like the one in the movie. my freind had one too. it was almost like a plastic bike chain like thing. It was one of those toys that only existed for a brief moment in the 90s.

Do you have a company?

Anyways, I’ve never seen a Robot replica (though Jeff Pidgeon points out the Burger King toy is accurate, just not to scale), but I think it may be an unreleased toy. In an old Toy Story storybook I have, it mentions Playskool Rockin’ Robot in the copyrights. The only character that fits the bill is Robot. Does anyone have any clues on this?

The sheep that came with the 95 Bo Peep are pretty accurate, although Bo is off scale

Do you suppose Robot is based on one of these toys?

Love the finds guys, I’ll add the baby monitor set, 8 Ball and see and say to the first posting. Also, check out the first posting as I’ve included info to make a %90 accurate Troll doll.

The Robot in the movie, is custom, and so were:
The rolly clown
Mr Spell
Rocky
Slinky dog
etc

The robot did however use the voice from an actual toy called “My Pal 2”.

youtube.com/watch?v=HQzcP27QruE

And no, the snake does not exist. Like I had said, ones LIKE it exist, as they’re always available at dollar stores, but the one in the movie “goes the other way”

Here I’ll add pictures from now on:

This is how big Rocky is:

10" not 12" as I had originally though:

And the Slinky dog we all have, was made AFTER Toy Story. That is a FACT. Mail Jamestown and ask., because I have, thats why I’m stating the fact. THIS is what he looked like before. They changed him to a daschound because of Jim Varney:

Sadly, there has not be an accurate released yet

If you say Slinky Dog is custom then so is Mr.Potato Head. They both weren’t exact from the toys they were based on but their were chages done.

Mr. P was indeed custom too, Sir, thats why it took until the advances of 3D printing before an accurate one was released.

And any facts I am repeating, come from searching since 1995, commentaries, interviews, etc.

Thats why alot of people were pissed off when the “vintage” slinky dog re-release toy came out awhile back, because alot of people thoughtt it was the actual vintage slinky dog I posted above and not the one made in 95.

I notice that the original slinky tail is more like slink in the film than the release we have. Nice find.

About Rocky’s scale, he does seem larger then I remembered, but is it possible some of that is due to the perspective? look very closely, he is closer than the rest of the toys, nearly touching the edge of the truck. If the other toys are far back enough that could make him look larger than he really is. Do we have a different reference for scale?

… When I post facts, they’re facts, if they’re ever not, I’ll gladly admit it, until then:

Here goes the bandwith:

Heres the accurate Baby Monitor on ebay for anyone interested. Not my auction. I dont have ebay, otherwise I would inquire the seller about an outright sale, or bid, so here it is for someone else. Sigh, hahah:

cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Playskool-M … 0385289818

Nice find on the Slinky, even I didn’t know that (the “retro” edition threw me off). Edited some stuff to reflect this.

Anyways, I’ve asked Playskool about Robot. They sure liked making educational robots, but none quite resembled Robot. I’ve sent them an e-mail.

Although unlikely at this point, I wouldn’t throw out the possibility that Snake was based off of a real toy. Probably being a dollar store toy, that would definately make it hard to track down.

Finally, in the pictures where Rocky is with the See 'n Say, he’s about the same size (his hair makes him a little bigger). That means he’s probably closer to 12".

Snake was indeed based off those toys I posted, but in Toy Story his segments allow him to rise up, rather than staying parallel to the ground. Thats why they made the change, so he wouldnt look “gross”.

The robot does not exist, it was custom made. I have emailed Jeff Pidgeon who confirmed it. But like I said, the toy commercial I posted was the voice they used for the robot “hey dude, whats up” and some other phrases. Jeff P did the “mr lightyear needs more tape, I believe”

I used to have that My Pal 2, it was pretty cool, and when seeing Toy Story in 95 I went, “I have that voice!” in the my pal 2, hahah.

Outside of getting a computer modeler to model a robot, and import to a CNC machine, the smaller scale Burger King toy is the most accurate released, but is not in the correct scale etc. Before those deformed looking double packs of squashed toys came out, the BK robot was the only one available in any scale.

And as you can see, the toys it was “based” off of, goes “the other way”

For anyone looking for the 1:1 accurate Mr. Mic, here is one on ebay for $30:

cgi.ebay.com/Playskool-Cassette- … 2c53fcb30e

Dont pass it up. (not my auction)

Mr. Mike is actually the Playskool Rockin’ Robot. It took some searching, but it’s true.

Ah, thank you very much!

Does that mean that Mr. Mic had a production run before Toy Story? Not like it really matters at this point.