Toy Story Collection: Inaccuracies + Prototypes!

My bad, I meant the faces. What I meant is that they made special faces for the toys for Thinkway to use, back when they started production, Woody had his static model face (meaning it’s just the face with no expression.)

When you change a models facial expression your still using the same model. its not like they recreate the whole thing. It’s the digital equivalent of a Muppet. just because you never saw these exact expressions doesn’t make it a different model.

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean NOT official. Thanks to Kyle clearing that up. But I thought they did just go ahead and morph the faces to their liking so that Thinkway could convert that to plastic to make the toys.

Everyone always forgets to mention that Mr. Potato Head is not electronic in the films. I know that some people here really like him because he looks straight out of the movie, but if we are discussing inaccuracies it has to be mentioned that Mr. Potato Head should not be electronic. A nice looking toy, but if you want a Mr. Potato Head that functions like the one in the movie, not just looks like it, then this isn’t the Potato Head for you.

Still a good buy if you don’t care about that though, or actually prefer it.

Well, that’s how the Toy Story collection defines a replica; strictly physical.

I mean it’s an amazing figure. But it doesn’t make sense to give him electronic. Like you said, he isn’t electronic. If Thinkway WERE to make a Hamm and Slinky (which they won’t) They’d have useless electronics.
Oh and if any of you guys got MSN, add me : catalanoarts AT live.com (remove the AT with @)

Look, Lotso’s face when he’s not “alive” doesn’t have his mouth open. It’s like Woody’s closed mouth thing.

Spoiler proofing the fact that Lotso has a closed mouth in toy mode? really?

Thing is, we hardly saw Lotso being in his frozen mode unlike Woody or any other of the toys. Well I take that back now. [spoil]When Daisy is cuddling with a new Lotso, his mouth is open(?)[/spoil] I can’t remember, I would need to watch the movie again

In the movies, Buzz’s expression has changed many times. The TSC expression seems perfect to me.

Gotta remember, I didn’t create the list, I just posted it here for people to see if they can’t access my wiki.

Oh, I did not know that.

It changed about 3 times. The TSC still uses accurate modelling, but none of the 3 were replicated directly, rather taking elements from all of them. It’s still Buzz, though.

Better than nothing. Almost every Buzz either made by Mattel or Thinkway have the eyes half closed, I think it’s based off some art or something

Like this for example: I’m sure Pixar based the face off of that for the toys. I’m not gonna go ahead and say it’s the exact same thing.

Their not based on anything, they simply didn’t want them looking too zombie esk. No one has their eyes wide open at all times, it makes them look surprised and/or lifeless. So they close their lids a bit to make them look more at ease. Its why they made most of the changes in fact. its why Woody’s fingers aren’t separated, his mouth is open, etc.

I highly agree with you Kyle on the whole no one has their eyes wide open all the time.

Anyways, I do wanna show you guys the data they used:

Now this is the digital data they used. Don’t believe me?
youtube.com/watch?v=NyofhW2j … re=channel
youtube.com/watch?v=kfO-sF8Klo4
Hope that’s enough proof.

Anywho, back to the inaccuracies.

Eh, Woody’s face would’ve looked much better with the closed mouth. The eyelids aren’t really that important. As for the hands, the 1995 model actually had the right ones for some reason, it wasn’t really zombie-like.
I guess they changed Buzz from his original face to make him more in-character, since he isn’t a strict space ranger anymore. In fact, Pixar just sums it up as the looks that represent their characters best.

Also, do you plan to add the digital data to the site? It would be cool to have some backstory to it. And if you’d like, I could also find some prototype pictures.

I have both proto pics of Woody and Buzz, they both had the unmorphed faces on their protos.

Is it me or does the proto Buzz look like he has his old colors on the previous Thinkway figures?

Thanks for the pics, I had never seen the Buzz one before. And yeah, I have a couple prototype pictures of the original Thinkway line toys.

Yeah, a lot of parts look like they were recycled off the old figure, especially the hand (which, as you can see, the fingertips aren’t painted yet, either). The body looks like the first thing they tackled. The face also looks cool, even though it’s probably just a filler. It also looks strangely familiar, I can’t remember where I’ve seen that expression before.

Dinoco, if you have more, please post them, I would like to see them :smiley:
About the Buzz face, you may have seen that from a behind the Scenes TS3 video where they were animating the scenes, I saw the Woody model in one of their modelling studios and it looks pretty much like the proto Thinkway made.