The Real Age of Charles Muntz.

I decided to ask Lee Unkrich on Twitter if he could find out from Pete Docter how old Muntz is. I was pleasantly surprised when he replied to me this morning. Thank you, Lee Unkrich!

Muntz is 92. From Pete’s mouth, through my fingers, to your eyes.

So there you go. Muntz is 92. :slight_smile:

Holy cow, there we go! Lock this sucker somebody, that right there is confirmation if there was a definition! You have a friend with access to Pete Doctor? INTRODUCE ME!!! lol, I kid, I kid. That’s really awesome though, how do you have that connection?

Lee Unkrich has been with Pixar since the early days and is now directing Toy Story 3. I don’t know him personally, but I follow him on Twitter and decided to ask him if he could help us out. :slight_smile:

Well it’s great that this argument is finally cleared up. I hear too much of it all over the place even though it’s pretty simple. So 2005 (year the story takes place) minus 92 is 1913, Carl was born in 1927 and was 8 when he saw the newsreel, so Muntz was 22 in the newsreel.

Good call Hannah, that’s really awesome of him! (good LORD I love Pixar!)

That’s nuts that he’s 22 in the reel, must have been raised in a rich family! :stuck_out_tongue:

WOW! I was almost exactly right! I always guessed he was only about 12-15 years older than Carl…

• C-3PO

oh man…:bummer:

leeunkrich:

@wannabechef91: At the beginning of the movie, Carl is 9, Muntz is 23. Per Pete.

@Hannahmation: Muntz is 92. From Pete’s mouth, through my fingers, to your eyes.

it has quite clear now. i rest my case. jury dismissed. lol mystery solved!

Edited. I combined both of your posts. – Mitch

Rule of thumb chef, it’s never good to double post. If you have to add something, edit your last post. It’s a bit troublesome to scroll through several comments from the same person, helps keep the forum tidy. Just thought I’d point that out.

If I’m overstepping my place here, anyone, I understand.

Back to the subject, I honestly think it would have liked the movie a tad bit better if they had played out Muntz a bit more. Some more background would have made [spoil]his death[/spoil] a bit more substantial, and it could have been executed a bit better in my opinion. Something like showing a bit of his childhood may have helped a bit.

ffdude1906: i’m just being lazy. lol. about your view, perhaps there’ll be Up The Sequel maybe? We didn’t really know that [spoil]he’s already dead or something[/spoil].

Wow! I can’t argue with the authorities, but Muntz must have been a Child Prodigy! I do think it says, on the official Disney site, that he is wealthy, so I would assume he came from a wealthy, influential family, hence the ability to travel the world at a young age.

I really need to find the “Art of Up” book - or just break down and order it.

karly05: he supposed to be. wait, isn’t he?

Supposed to be what? A child prodigy, or wealthy? Or both - or something else. :question:

Both?

I’d believe that. (Wealthy and Child Prodigy.) :wink:

Okay. :smiley:

Wasn’t Howard Hughes pretty successful when he was 22?

Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction - I just looked up Howard Hughes on Wikipedia. I knew who he was, but not a lot of details, but yeah, he was designing and building things from a young age (built his own “motorized bicyle” at 12), took flying lessons at 14, etc. etc. So yeah, Muntz could be 22!

General Notice: Please refrain from posting one-word and/or limited-word posts on the forums. Thank you.

– Mitch