The Croods (2012)

Overall, the best word I can use to describe this movie is: interesting. I think it could really take a spin on things we’ve come to expect from movies, at least I would hope. I may not get to see this in theaters though, depends on my schedule at the time. I do think the bitter relationship between Grug and Gran is some comedic stuff! :laughing: I’m probably the most excited about the fact that Chris Sanders a.k.a. Stitch is a director! So, I imagine good things are coming out of this film. :slight_smile:

The funniest part of the new trailer for me was when Grug was silently wishing for Gran to be dead, and then he acts all disappointed when she shows up! 8D It’s pretty morbid, but I do enjoy that kind of gallows humour if it’s pulled off in a cute way, like what Dreamworks did here.

I was reading an article in Singapore’s national broadsheet of an interview with Emma Stone, who’s in the new movie Gangster Squad opening tomorrow here. I just discovered she voices Merida’s spiritual ancestor in The Croods!

I was a little surprised by the I hope Grandma is dead jokes! I still laughed though. :laughing:

Really not looking forward to this one. Maybe I’m just being pessimistic, but it just looks like the creators have taken random parts of different films and mixed them together. This may be pretentious, but I just don’t feel it has much artistic merit. The dead grandma jokes were hilarious, so it might be fun!

I am actually quite excited for this movie! I adore prehistoric archetypes and whatnot, and the fantasy swing given to this one is cool and unexpected. I love the mix-and-match animals I’ve seen in the poster! And the fact they used an instrumental version of a song from Jónsi in one trailer is also awesome.

Is it me, or am I annoyingly positive about every animated movie that gets released…? Am I the only one who’s like this? weh

I also like animals for this film. From what I’ve seen, they are very Sanders esque, which is no suprise of course!

Chris Sanders does have a very unique artistic style. I remember hearing somewhere that a lot of his characters have a kind of round shape to them on purpose to be subconsciously more appealing. I think this was largely used in Lilo and Stitch, and now it’s no wonder I thought Toothless from HtTYD looked familiar and reminded me of Stitch (a Disney fave of mine!).

Yep! Lilo and Stitch in particular had as little straight lines as possible.

The Trailer looked great in 3d, the landscapes were also so detailed. I might see this just for the Grandma! (shes hilarious in trailers! :smiley: )

^I love her and Nik Cage’s characters constant bickering.

Feeling a little indifferent on this. The visuals look good, but I’m not completely grabbed by anything else. Sanders directing does give me some hope though.

I’m a little put off by the character designs, although I can’t really explain why… they look a little unbalanced to me. I haven’t found any of the trailers that funny either.

Dreamworks have surprised me before though. I thought Megamind would be terrible but once I saw it I thought it was one of their best. I hope Chris Sanders gets to do traditionally animated films again one day. I like his style, and I think it doesn’t translate quite so well to CGI.

^I think that describes why I find the character designs in this movie unappealing like I do. I love Sanders, I love his art and I love his character designs, but it seems like often they just don’t translate very well into 3-D. It’s the faces.

youtube.com/watch?v=t7W6huOgaaA

So here’s the end credit song from Owl City and Malayasian singer-songwriter Yuna. It’s… something. It’s definitely not the best song for a movie OC has ever done(that would be When Can I See You Again? from WIR), but it could be a lot worse.

P.S. 1700th post!

The characters in the trailer kind of scare me. That one chick with red hair. I saw her and my reaction proceeded like this.

:astonished: :open_mouth: :neutral_face: :confused: :cry: :angry: :unamused: :neutral_face: :shake:

Yeah, I’ve been hearing a lot about peoples dissatisfaction with the character design, it being kind of uncanny. I personally think it’s the eyes, like look off even cloudy to me.

Hopefully it won’t be as bad when I actually see the film, but you never know…

^I looked up the movie in Google images to get a better look at the eyes. I can kind of see what you mean- in some of the posters you can see that they’re given the eyes very detailed brown and grey irises, and it maybe looks a bit strange when they’re shown from a distance.

I can understand why the designs would be a bit wonky looking- cavemen looked quite different to modern humans. But it looks weird because, for example, the teenage girl has quite large shoulders and tiny legs, but she’s stood perfectly upright in the promotional material. If she were crouching or walking on all fours it might look a bit more normal. Still, I suppose it’s kind of refreshing to have human animated protaginists that aren’t super attractive as leads… although she’s still pretty normal looking compared to her family.

I found this drawing Chris Sanders did of the main character. Now I really hope he gets back into traditional animation.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn’t add the picture properly. You can see it on wikipedia though, on the page for the movie.

I wonder how successful this movie will be… It’s interesting that Dreamworks have signed a deal with Netflix to produce an animated series for Turbo, even though it hasn’t come out yet. I wonder why they picked Turbo and not this (or one of their previous movies). Maybe it’s easier to turn into a series than The Croods?

Yeah. A lot fo times they do look better in motion, but idk. That red haired chick is realllllly creepy

Yeah, it’s weird because it’s not consistent for me. My reaction is either, “Oh, these characters are actually pretty neat” to “ugh the uncanniness of their faces is terrifying.” :shake: I am still curious to see the movie though, because of the environment designs and the premise is appealing enough.

So, are the cavemen? Maybe they made them intentionally ugly for this reason.