The Bear and the Bow - A Princess of...Scotland?

Wow and Billy Connelly will voice one of the characters? Neat. I sometimes find him amusing. That would make sense that they’d have him in a movie set in Scotland.

That’s quite a star filled cast. And yay for Billy Connolly! He’s the only guy on the planet who can make a purple beard look cool. :laughing:

A Disney-style princess in a Pixar movie would be a whole new kind of money-printing machine! :open_mouth:

Money-printing machine?!?!?!
Come on, Pixar movies are all about quality. Money and awards are secondary, but anyway, they did get what they deserved.

Did I indicate otherwise? I think Pixar’s massive box-office take is a symptom of their quality. All I’m saying is that:

1. There’s a huge audience out there that loves Pixar movies.

2. There’s a huge audience out there that loves Disney princesses.

3. There’s a lot of crossover between these two audiences.

Put the two together well and I think you’ll have the potential for monumental financial success. Nothing derogatory about it; just an opportunity to rake it in that might look so mind-blowing to a Disney accountant that they might feel compelled to make like a little bird and whisper (like a jet engine) in the ears of certain folks like, say, John Lasseter.

Yeah, cool! :smiley:

Edited. Please refrain from quoting entire posts, if possible. Thank you. – Mitch

After seeing the character-art image for this movie, it has jumped to neck-and-neck with Toy Story 3 at the top of my personal most-anticipated-Pixar list.

The Bear and the Bow - Toy Story 3
Up
Newt

Cars 2

:wink:

I think this is some new info:

The Bear and the Bow: An animated feature from Pixar planned for Christmas 2011. Directed by Brenda Chapman. In rugged and mythic Scotland, the impetuous, tangle-haired Merida, though a daughter of royalty, would prefer to make her mark as a great archer. A clash of wills with her mother compels Merida to make a reckless choice, which unleashes unintended peril on her father’s kingdom and her mother’s life. Merida struggles with the unpredictable forces of nature, magic, and a dark, ancient curse to set things right. Voices include Reese Witherspoon, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson.

[url]Disney.com | The official home for all things Disney

Very interesting! I can’t remember what we’ve been told before about The Bear and the Bow, but there’s definitely some new information there. It sounds even more magical than I thought it’d be, and it’ll probably end up being a very beautiful film. Thanks for the link, Rachel.

As long as they don’t make a Scottish version of Beauty and the Beast it’ll be fine.

I mean, they’re Pixar, they shouldn’t do musical. Remember what JL said about Toy Story, they made it because they wanted to do different thing. Now a princess movie with musical numbers, no, no and no.

They have to find ways to make it fresh and interesting, it’s their first fairy tale and fantasy film, the first original story since Up, BUT it comes after 2 back-to-back Disney princess movies: Princess and the Frog & Rapunzel. If it turns out to be a rehash of Disney’s 101 princess movies and sequels and prequels and whatnots, I’ll be severely disappointed. I won’t love Pixar anymore. :smiling_imp:

Anyway, I’ve realized that The Bear and the Bow is Pixar 13th film.

And sequels asides, exactly their 10th original story.

Cool, eh? And definitely NOT a film with time and place to be screwed up.

abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Mov … 674&page=4

I like the way the main character is described in this article. “she drives the story as opposed to having things happen to her. And there is no waiting for a prince.” Sounds like a lot of fun and I also have a feeling it will be a very beautiful film, visually and thematically.

I hope Craig Ferguson has a part in this, or at least has a cameo appearance! I love that guy! :laughing:

wierd idea i hope its good

“Waits for no prince” is kind of used quite often in many fairy tale twists, though. I think they should come up with a different line by now.

But back on topic. For some strange reason, I think since I heard about The Bear and the Bow, I’ve suddenly gotten this interest in archery. Weird.

Wait was that back on topic or not? :confused: Hmm. Oh well.

I already really look foward to how this movie will turn out. I can’t wait to see any released clips of it in the future.

Alrighty then its time for a Brit to teach the world again… ok here comes a History lesson…

England
Democratic Constitutional Monarchy now, but a monarchy since History began,
Following the War of the Roses the Tudors lead the country into War with France.
Tudors Henry VIII (Guy With 6 Wives) passes the throne to his youngest and only male heir, dies, gives it to his oldest sister who kills hundreds in 5 years and is nicknamed after the infamous drink “Bloody Mary”.
Mary passes it on to her younger sister whom she tried for treason Elizabeth the first. Elizabeth rules for 40 years contracting Small Pox, and defeating the Spanish Amarda. Dies in 1603.

Elizabeth passes it on to James the IV of Scotland who unifies the Country to become James the 1st of The United Kingdom

Therefore Scotland once did have a monarchy therefore had a royal family consisting of Princes, Princesses - The Whole Nine Yards!

Be aware this is a Minor bit of British History… and as you have Seen British History…

England doesn’t have a queen, the United Kingdom, Great Britain, The British Empire Does!. Texas doesn’t have its own President does it?
Yes its a country but it is part of a Union (its like me saying that Florida or Texas is a country) England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are States-Countries that comprise the United Kingdom, or Great Britain.

Sorry for the long winded History lesson… but as a Welshman it does get frustrating when you hear that your country is actually in England!

I think Pixar will find a way to put a twist on the classic princess movie, I can’t wait! :smiley:

A princess who is supposed to be an elegant queen
Who’s really a rebellious teen
Who’d rather take up archery
than her royal parents monarchy

A poem by LuxoIII

(cool! I’ve never written a poem before)

This film looks…interesting.

Reallllllly can’t wait for this one. This and Newt. Bear and the Bow is their first fairy tale story, but I bet it’ll have a great Pixar twist.

Based on what I’ve heard about this over the past few hours, I must admit that my excitement has grown a fair amount. The whole movie almost seems like Pixar’s attempt at something that Ghibli would do, but then I felt the same way about UP when I first saw the ideas of that. I consider none of this to be a bad thing, however. For some reason I get the feeling that this will be a first deadly serious approach from Pixar and one of their movies. Although i’m probably wrong :laughing: