'The Ballad of Nessie' short

Although a lot of Arabs were very POed about it. Especially the song lyric in the opening song. But it’s all good now, Menken changed out.

I read an article about racism in cartoons. Ever noticed that Jafar looks like a stereotypical Arab from an American’s point of view while Aladdin just looks like a 'White-bread kid from the Midwest" painted brown?

Whaddya mean by that?

Anyway, yeah, Aladdin looks like a white guy. Just like Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia. And Jake speaks with a British accent!

Same goes for Lion King. Scar is for some reason dark-skinned, although he’s Mufasa’s brother. Maybe half-bro, like, they have different mums? Since, you know, a guy lion gets a whole pride of lionesses to himself. Interestingly, this was reversed in the sequel where the anti-hero is ‘black’ and the heroine is ‘white’.

I’m sure there’s probably many instances of racism in Disney that critics like to point out, as well as ‘reverse-racism’ (you know, those patronising ones like Song of the South). PATF had a ‘realistic’ element to it that I admired Disney’s honesty with its opening scene in the slums of New Orleans and the black population there. And the mixing of different races isn’t entirely false, I think N.O. was one of the more progressive cities back in the day.

Anyway, I’m sure ‘Ballad of Nessie’ will have no racist elements in it. Maybe some stereotypical ones like Scottish bagpipes and plaid tweed-jackets and stuff, but I don’t think Nessie will be singing ‘Zip-a-dee-doo-dah’ anytime soon.

In July 1993, the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee protested lyrics in Arabian Nights. The Committee believed the original lyrics, “where they cut off your ear if they don’t like your face/it’s barbaric, but hey, it’s home,” portrayed the Arab community in a negative light. Disney denied the claim, but changed the lyrics to “where it’s flat and immense and the heat is intense/it’s barbaric, but hey, it’s home,” in later releases of the song.

Aladdin and Jasmine both have paler skin, American accents and facial features. The citizens of Agrabah, however, all have big noses, darker skin than the lead characters and speak with thick accents.

The American-Arab Anti Discrimination Committee made a complaint against Disney regarding these issues, and the fact that not only were the main characters Americanised, but that most citizens that had a walk-on bit appeared as villainous, greedy and deceitful merchants.

(Source to reviews.wikinut.com/The-Controve … /1cq374to/)

^I did not know that. :blush: Jasmine looks pretty Arab to me, personally. Especially in the nose. But I could just be imagining that; it had never crossed my mind that Aladdin was Racist. :blush:

I wouldn’t say the movie was racist, but that peticular Arab group found it offensive, and I can see why. It’s hard to please everyone when it comes to such a sensative subject, like race. I still love that movie dearly!

It’s one of my favorites. And I personally think Jasmine has a lot of Arab features in her face. But anyway, will this short have songs? 8D

I hope so, IV! It is, after all, a ballad.

True. I didn’t realize how dumb my question was before now. 8D

There are no dumb questions, only stupid answers. :slight_smile:

True that. 8D

Here we go with more concept art, me laddies!

New Stills and Concept Art

I absolutely adore the character designs and backgrounds for this short. The whole style to it really! I can’t wait to see more, as well as hear Giacchino’s score!

The new screens/art are beautiful! :smiley: Thanks for sharing! And Giacchino scoring it?! Yup…this can only end in awesome! 8D

To those who expected songs to appear in The Ballad of Nessie, I have to disappoint you, there aren’t any. It’s just a narrator with a Scottish accent speaking, and some human characters at the beginning of the short. Still, I really liked it and I enjoyed it very much :slight_smile:

There is still a score and background music, is there?

Yes, there is, EJE :slight_smile:

Righto, just checking! Thanks for filling us in!