The Art of Toy Story 3

Sort of unrelated, but tomorrow’s the day that most of the Toy Story 3 books are getting released. Being a spoiler fan myself, I’m getting the Junior Novelization for sure, and possibly The Essential Guide. I’m iffy on that because Amazon lists it for June 1st but the Barnes and Noble site says tomorrow. We’ll see. But either way, I’m pretty excited.

I bought the novelization for Up last year, and it was pretty much spot on to the final movie. The only major differences were that Ellie’s miscarriage was removed, the dream sequence of hanging Russell from the house was removed, the scene where Carl meets Muntz was totally different (they made Muntz a bit more intimidating), and Muntz floated up instead of down. I would guess that it was based on a slightly earlier script (mainly referring to the Muntz changes). Other than that, the dialogue was almost word for word. I can’t wait to see how the TS3 novel fairs and what kinds of differences it may have. Plus it’s fun to imagine what the movie will be like and see if your vision matches up with Pixar’s.

I’m just wondering, why was Woody’s pull cord ring enlarged? Does he get a new one by the time of TS3?

Jessie broke it during the filming of Toy Story 2 remember??? :smiley: JK!
“Should we just make that part of the movie now?”

I want the Junior Novelization so badly. But until recently I was also into spoilers and reading what scripts I could find before seeing films and such. Because I’m so into the emotion, especially the fresh kind, when seeing movies I’ve been resisting these kids of things. I think I’m still going to try and hold out for Toy Story 3. Come on will power! I need you right now!

Based on what? The toy? or have you seen a larger one in the movie or artwork in the film?

Kyle: In the art book they show the differences between TS2 and TS3 Woody, and the ring is a bit different.

They probably upscaled the ring and the golden parts to make it more visually appealing.

I’ve had this on pre order since Feb with amazon. Looks like it won’t hit the UK till mid July. It’s gonna be a long old wait.

Yes Kyle, as Bryoko mentioned their are two different pictures shown in the Art Book for comparison. Check out the link to the review he posted; I think it was down quite a bit - just two shots of Woody’s back.

I do understand why the ring was upscaled in terms of this being a film and the creators wanting to please the audience visually. However, it just doesn’t make sense to me in terms of Woody being a toy, you know? His ring wouldn’t just change colors and grow. So, Andy must break it somehow in the course of his life and it has to be replaced, right? I seriously doubt that they’ll dwell into this during the film, but the fact of the matter is he has a new ring and the old one is gone.

I guess I’m just wondering if there is any justification behind the upscale in the world of Toy Story itself.

Oh, and, high-five! :wink:

Well, they did that for the new Woody doll in the Toy Story Collection as well. Maybe there’s a correlation of sorts? Nah, probably just a coincidence.

That video has got me wondering one thing.

[spoil]I wonder what the scene that is at the main end of the video showing the book, the one with group of toys sitting on a porch, including Buzz, Woody, Jessie, Rex, Trixie, Slink, and Totoro.[/spoil]

Ahh, I see now. well I think this isn’t something that has any thought behind it, its simply a further refinement of the original design. maybe they thought the ring looked too small to fit a finger through originally. I think this is akin to the the collar getting thicker and elbows being rounded a bit more, he didn’t get a new shirt either, their just minor tweaks that should go unnoticed.

The size different is still small enough that no one should notice except us, and chances are we wouldn’t have picked up on it had there not been a comparison pic.
even with the larger ring, its still noticeably smaller than the toy’s have it. Now that would be a jarring change if you ask me.

speaking of which, I’d still really like to find a smaller white ring for my TSC Woody, if anyone has an idea of what could be used for that I’m all ears.

as for the color, that’s something that Can be explained actually, I can see the ring getting darker in color over the years. even turning a bit yellow. (but I don’t think it has)

That’s an interesting comparisson between the current and Toy Story 2 models. I guess they were trying to take advantage of new technology and A) make him more realistic, and B) make him more aged. The stress marks on his arms are a great example. I can also see a lot more scratches and dings (this goes for all the toys). The small chip on his jaw might be from when Buzz punched him.

In the text below woody it also says that Bullseye has been worked on to. I think it’s a fair bet that all the character models have been upgraded. Mostly just subtle touches I would guess.

Lee Unkrich said they don’t reuse any of the character models. They don’t just have them laying around ready for sequels, They have to re create them all from scratch every time. The old models aren’t even compatible with modern machines.

Naturally they are going to refine them all.

[quote=“Kyle”]
Lee Unkrich said they don’t reuse any of the character models. they don’t just have them laying around ready for sequels, they have to re create them all for scratch ever time. the old models aren’t even compatible with modern machines.[/quote

Well it’s a sure bet that all the new models are modded. We’ve all seen the trailers but nobody spotted the ring pull. Maybe we should start a ‘spot the mod thread’. Lol. Just kidding. Don’t even think about it. Really

I sort of found that the comparison between TS2 and TS3 Woody was a lot like comparing the SSBM Mario to his SSBB counterpart. From a distance, there’s not really too many differences but up close you can tell that the stitching on his overalls, individual hairs and clothing fabric is a lot more…texture-y.

Also, for those of you who are interested, I also own the original “Art of Toy Story” book. Since this was made during the release of the first CGI film, it’s an extremely awesome over-sized coffee table book with tons of art scripts and in depth looks at the digital data used to create the film.

here’s some pics from my Flickr site:

sorry if it seems like I posted too much. It’s really only like 5% of the book.

I have that book. I love the bios of the secondary chracters. The changes to Slinky etc, the actors chosen to voice them. It really is a great read. Looking forward to the new one. It’s a shame ts2 never had Its own book as well.

I know, very disappointing indeed! I think it’s maybe because Toy Story 2 was originally meant as a DTV cheapquel that maybe it wasn’t important enought to have an Art book. Or maybe they thought that because Toy Story already had one, they wouldn’t need one for 2. It’s the only reason I can think of since both a bug’s life and Monsters Inc. have them.

You could be right. It could also be that they were caught out by the success of the film. Still, it’s not like they didn’t have the time in the years that followed to produce a book.

Totally off topic but I only just noticed that Andy is wearing Jessie’s hat at his birthday party. Old eyes I guess.

Lots of Toy Story 2 art in this book:

amazon.com/Toy-Story-Sketchb … 791&sr=1-1