Tangled

I can’t help but roll my eyes at the fact that people are actually judging this movie based on a TITLE CHANGE AND A STORY-BOARD TEST TRAILER.

Yeah, slap-stick, never seen that in a Disney movie before. Because none of the movies in the Disney renaissance had slapstick./endsobnoxioussarcasmmode.

Seriously, though, isn’t it a LITTLE early to judge? A title change doesn’t change the actual movie, and it still looks WAY above Shrek to me. Shrek was a satirical put-modernish-themes-in-a-spoofed-medival-setting type movie, which has indeed been WAY overdone since it came out. This is just a lighthearted, humorous fairy tale CGI film. Big difference.

Besides, I thought it was pretty decent slapstick. It was cute and funny. Slapstick can be funny when done well, guys.

True, I dislike the teeny-bopper song, but this is still only a test trailer. We have no idea if its going to be in the actual trailer (or movie, for that matter)

Watching the linked trailer, I’m not totally sure how I feel yet, but I don’t hate it. I almost think they’d be better off if they had at some point just let go of the whole “Rapunzel” idea (and the fairy-tale expectations that go with it, for good or ill), and treated it as an original story. I’m in the camp that believes the word “Princess” in “Princess and the Frog” did scare off some people (anecdotal, but even people on the DisBoards were asking, “Will boys sit through it?”), although I’m still not sure what I think of “Tangled” as a title.

These are bad changes is all wer’e saying, and you seem like a teenybopper, so I can’t imagine why THAT would bother you out of all the problems with this.

Very soon and very little to judge by. But honestly for me, I kind of likes a good portion of this. I like the focus on the male lead and the build up to Rapunzel. Flynn reminds me of Tulio and Miguel for some reason. He even seems to have a white horse at some point?

I had no idea what to expect for this movie but looking at the bits and pieces that I liked from this not-exactly-trailer… Well, I’m positive, hopeful, and look forward to more.

I don’t see Shrek at all in this. The only thing that’s DreamWorks-esq about this film… is it’s style of casting :confused: Which worried me from the start. Anika Noni Rose was a broadway gem. The cast of Bolt got on my nerves a little, except Travolta was a lot better than I expected. Otherwise The Lion King was the only film that had a couple of big names- but played it well. Besides that exception I prefer less mainstream people as the voice actors in Disney films. But let’s hope that doesn’t lessen the potential of this film.

Since you are so quick to judge someone you’ve never met (Um, what the bleep did I say that indicated teeny-bopper-dom? I actually hate those kind of people for the most part.) I guess I can’t try and persuade you not to judge a movie this early.

Sorry for lashing out at you, but I don’t like being accused of something simply because I disagree with your opinion.

Yeah, Some of my older threads may give that impression, but I’ve been on this site for what’s closing in on two years. The Flik/Atta thread, for example, I made in the sixth grade. I’m in the eighth grade now. Just look at the difference in the way I type. In this time I’ve transformed into a cynical semi-tomboy with a temper like a ticking bomb. You can blame it on the internet and Ann Coulter.

Which was why I stressed that I hope they’d get a better version out, or work on the ‘cheesier’ parts of it:

Maybe I was a bit too harsh on my rant. The Disney classics and even PATF has always had slapstick jokes to some extent. It’s just that this ‘test trailer’ doesn’t have the same ‘wow-knock-my-freakin’-socks-off’ effect as the one for PATF, which highlighted the ‘musical spectacular’ or ‘grand-storytelling’ aspect of it. Even Enchanted was better in that respect. Maybe it’s not supposed to be majestic, and more a harmless spoof like Shrek or Monsters vs Aliens, which wouldn’t be too bad, I guess. It’s just that after Shrek, Happily N’Ever After, Hoodwinked and gawsh knows how many other animated fairy tale parodies, it starts to get a little tiresome and cliched. I really hope to be proven wrong, though.

I also believe in the ‘never judge a book by its cover’ maxim, and I don’t want to come off as hypocritical. I’ve defended ‘godawful-movies-people-never-love’ like Beverly Hills Chihuahua and G-Force. I’m of course, being sarcastic about the ‘no-love’ part. There are probably fans out there, just that the movies themselves were critically panned. Even when trailers like for Where the Wild Things Are or Alice in Wonderland fail to impress me, I remain open-minded to them. So perhaps I should give Rapun… I mean, “Tangled” a chance.

I just hope to Chrysler that it’s way better than this initial impression, as I do want Disney to succeed, in the end.

I don’t even think it looks that much like that type of movie. If you watch the teaser (The actual, completed teaser–its on YouTube), its more mysterious and ambiguous, about the opposite of PATF’s teaser, for example. With the exception of the teeny-bopper song, the test trailer looked more like a strait up fairy tale just with more developed characters and a lighter mood. As I said before, Shrek, Hoodwinked, and Happily N’ever After were parodies, not just lighthearted and humorous fairy tales.

And again, I love the fact that the prince is non-traditional. Eric, Phillip, and John Smith are boring–more Ken dolls than actual character. They’re there to serve as a love interest, not as a character anyway. For the prince to actually BE a character, he needs to have some personality. The whole thief thing actually is a good idea to me; it will be nice to watch the sarcastic, confident, seen-it-all prince fall in love.

Maybe I was a bit too harsh on my rant. The Disney classics and even PATF has always had slapstick jokes to some extent. It’s just that this ‘test trailer’ doesn’t have the same ‘wow-knock-my-freakin’-socks-off’ effect as the one for PATF, which highlighted the ‘musical spectacular’ or ‘grand-storytelling’ aspect of it. Even Enchanted was better in that respect. Maybe it’s not supposed to be majestic, and more a harmless spoof like Shrek or Monsters vs Aliens, which wouldn’t be too bad, I guess. It’s just that after Shrek, Happily N’Ever After, Hoodwinked and gawsh knows how many other animated fairy tale parodies, it starts to get a little tiresome and cliched. I really hope to be proven wrong, though.

I also believe in the ‘never judge a book by its cover’ maxim, and I don’t want to come off as hypocritical. I’ve defended ‘godawful-movies-people-never-love’ like Beverly Hills Chihuahua and G-Force. I’m of course, being sarcastic about the ‘no-love’ part. There are probably fans out there, just that the movies themselves were critically panned. Even when trailers like for Where the Wild Things Are or Alice in Wonderland fail to impress me, I remain open-minded to them. So perhaps I should give Rapun… I mean, “Tangled” a chance.

You weren’t too harsh. It just looked like crap. And I’m personally still not impressed, even AFTER seeing the real trailer.
I just hope to Chrysler that it’s way better than this initial impression, as I do want Disney to succeed, in the end.
[/quote]

It’s just hard to be original when they already did versions of this film under different fairytale cover stories. As long as the script is intelligent and witty, it will be just fine. Plus, everybody has their favorites in this ‘princess-style’ genre. This will develop its own generation of fans if its any good. PATF was a good re-juvenation of the 2-D style of animation, so this will hopefully be even more refined and creative.

Okay, I’ve seen it, and it’s way better than the test trailer. That’s how they should’ve done it. I disagree about PATF’s teaser being too revealing (I’m referring to the one released one year before where Tiana’s just talking with a different-looking Naveen). I’m sure that when Rapunzel gets its 1st trailer out, it’ll ‘spoil’ just as many scenes, but I’m liking how they’re keeping it under wraps at the moment (I expected the windows to open to reveal Rapunzel, but they smartly cut to black to leave you in suspense).

And I take back whatever I said about it being a fairy tale spoof. Maybe it was the amount of the slapstick in the test trailer that gave me the impression. Maybe there will be poignant moments, and that when I see the final product, I wouldn’t notice the physical humour.

I still think that they should’ve shown more emotional bits (the Toy Story 3 trailer was a nice balance of both), and that they should never have changed the title (which still sounds horrible to me).

But I am a lot more hopeful having seen the teaser on Youtube. It reminds me of the opening Giselle sequence from Enchanted, which I enjoyed, so maybe Disney will surprise me.

Well, now that I think about it, I do like anti-heroes, so maybe this character will appeal to me.

Hm… maybe trying a diplomatic approach to getting your point across would help? :wink:

YES. Yes, he does! :smiley: But I hope he’ll stand on his own.

Hm… well it didn’t exactly blow my mind either, but I wouldn’t get too critical on it at this point. :confused:

Good points. It’s the story that counts in the end. And in an overcrowded genre, it can be harder to pull off. The vibe I’m getting from the marketing and title so far is that it has a more anarchic bent than the ‘play-it-safe’ Princess and the Frog. Which can work both ways, I guess.

I guess you’re right, TDIT. I’m just tired of the crap Disney’s been putting out in the last decade. I love Meet The Robinsons, Atlantis:The lost Empire, Lilo and Stitch, and Bolt. It’s just that they’ve been trying soooo hard to make money w/o doing any work. I wish they worked like Pixar, making wonderful, personal, life-altering movies for the sake of MY happiness and livelihood, instead of making !@#*- tastic movies and sequels for an extra $5. That’s all I’m saying.

Yeah, I share your sentiments. Don’t forget to add Treasure Planet, that wasn’t too shabby, either. I, too, hate the way they release cheap DVD sequels, and milk all the franchises (Disney Vault is just cheap profiteering).

They really made a comeback with PATF and met my expectations, so it’d be even more incredible if they actually exceed my expectations for this next one. :slight_smile:

I would love to, but I haven’t seen TP :frowning: or Princess and the Frog… I hope too, though. :slight_smile:

Ooh… you must! TP is more spectacular visuals-wise, but PatF has a better story… :slight_smile:

Anyway, I think I’ll sit on the fence for the moment… I hope Disney gets me off it… cos’ my butt’s starting to hurt.

Haha, that’s funny :smiley: . BTW, want to be facebook friends?

That was ended a while ago by our dear John Lassiter. :slight_smile:

Even if Disney’s movie efforts haven’t been great lately (Animation is going good, in my opinion, but live action needs a LOT of work. But hey, maybe Prince of Persia and Tron will change my opinion about that) Their video game investments have been surprisingly awesome…Kingdom Hearts (though we can thank Square Enix for that one) and Epic Mickey FTW! :smiley:

Uuuum, actually I was talking about the cartoons, b/c POTC, Enchanted, and both National Treasure movies were excellent. I was speaking of The Wild, animated SEQUELS, Chicken Little, and the like. Eewwww.

Your Mileage May Vary on the second two POTC and the NT movies. And The Wild and Chicken Little were both made in the late Eisner years, before Lassiter took over. Things have changed now.

I believe it’s with an ‘e’. Ooh, I’m such an elementary school teacher. But yes, I agree he’s Disney’s hero (he should wear a superhero suit and cape… nah, nix the cape! :wink:).

Hm… I notice you’re a fan (What an astute observation, TDIT!). Rhetorical question… is KH good? I’ve seen screenshots but I haven’t played it…

I’d have to agree with Incredigirl on this one. A lot of people didn’t like the POTC sequels, but I’m one of the few who do. It doesn’t take much to pay attention and follow the storyline. It’s not convoluted (I’ve seen other films with way more complex arcs and they were not criticized as much), and it’s actually fun to see the characters sort of betray each other like a giant game of chess. As for the NT movies, I have to admit a personal bias for Mr Cage and cheesy everyman-action-heroes, so sue me.

I do agree though, that The Wild and Chicken Little sucked eggs. Big time. :angry:

Sorry if I drifted OT… but it helps to put Rapun, I mean ‘Tangled’ in context.

Just to clarify, Walt Disney Animation wasn’t actually responsible for The Wild. It was actually produced by C.O.R.E. Feature Animation, with Disney simply distributing it. However, that doesn’t change that both it and Chicken Little still suck. :wink:

Anyway, while I agree that the title change is pretty irritating, I’m still extremely optimistic about this film, with Lasseter still overseeing Disney Animation’s projects, and the directors being Byron Howard and Nathan Greno (the director and head of story on Bolt, respectively). Many of us attribute the awesomeness of that film to Lasseter entirely, but I’d like to think that the directors were at least somewhat responsible for Bolt’s success. :stuck_out_tongue: