*SPOILER ALERT* My Criticisms of WALL·E *SPOILER ALERT*

There’s always the possibility that the shock from EVE’s “kiss” wasn’t just a shock, she could’ve been transfering the information she could’ve gotten in the Define Dancing scene.

I think a healthy portion of “suspension of disbelief” would be in order to enjoy this movie, or any movie. But one thing I don’t get is [spoil]why wasn’t the Captain, or any other robots, surprised at seeing such an old and outdated robot aboard the Axiom? Even John and Mary weren’t bemused.[/spoil] My theory is that the poor diet of the humans, combined with the lack of exercise, made their brains sluggish. They didn’t cotton on to the fact they had a swimming pool, so an outdated robot probably wouldn’t faze them… Anyone have an answer for this?

Because WALL•E’s love for EVE was so strong that he wanted to make EVE happy, to help her complete her directive.

But he wasn’t designed to be in an artificially lit area. He was designed to stay on Earth and clean during the day and shut down at night, to be recharged in the morning. BNL didn’t intend for him to still be around 700 years later, develop a personality and climb aboard the artificially-lit Axiom.

The treads would probably provide grip.

And also the security vision she had taped of WALL•E over the time he was looking after her may have been transferred to him.

That IMDb Q and A section is very thorough. Thanks!

rachel- I’ll go with you with the idea that the human brains had become sluggish over time. Also, they seem generally unable to distinguish between different robots (even though, to us, they obviously all look different). Add to that, the fact that the humans didn’t really care about the robots. They were just tools to be used in order to make their lives easier, so new or old, clean or dirty, it just didn’t matter to them.

Yes, probably LG, as demonstated, people just take them for granted.

also, this thread contains my first post :smiley:

Here is what most people say when I mention WALL-E to them:
1- I heard it was really good.
2- I heard it was really bad.
3- WALL-E is so cute (I don’t know what their opinion is).

The only problem i had was walle holding on to the space ship. He would have been totally desintegrated.

The only problem i had was walle holding on to the space ship. He would have been totally desintegrated.

Other then that 10/10 for me…can’t wait for the dvd.

I’ve also wondered how WALL-E and his truck (they both have red lights that turn on) can sense sand storms approaching.

d-d-d-d-DOUBLE Post!

yes he would.

I’m guessing that the WALL•Es were designed to sense when dust storms were approaching (another reason why the humans left Earth?) and same with the trucks, and once the dust storms did come, all the WALL•Es would race inside and fit in their little compartment things (like WALL•E sleeps in), the door would shut, and they would wait until the sensors told them it’s safe to go outside.

In respect to all the WALL•E fans out there, I will admit that it’s a really delightful love story presented by WALL•E and EVE’s adorable antics and the such. It’s really cute, I would admit, and thus present me the reason as to everyone’s obsession with the film.

However, since a thread regarding the film’s criticism is available, I would have to seize the chance to speak (or in this case, type).

Aside from the physics and logic applied to the various aspects of the film, my main annoyance towards it was rather sprouted from the simplicity of the blockbuster. That’s just it - it didn’t feel like it was a blockbuster. It failed to hit me like a train, making me go, “Oof! This one is a hit!” like Finding Nemo or The Incredibles, for that matter, and I can’t help bring up the issue of the ending’s predictability once more.

I really love it that they actually manage to have sorta a pause between EVE’s discovery of WALL•E and WALL•E’s final recovery, thus making it less cliche. It’s a really tough aspect to work on, seriously. You would like a happy ending, but at the same time, you wouldn’t want audience to go, “And they’re going to live happily ever after, the end.” It’s really a level that requires skill and creativity. Though Pixar failed to bring that out, I would give them credit for making such a stretch in stepping to that level.

They nearly got me for a while. :wink:

Overall, a 7.8/10. Nice work, but not epic.

It seems that most of the criticisms presented in this thread have been answered by other members or the link to that movie site above, and even in the Advanced Wall-E 101 thread.

Buildings can’t last 700 years. How do you know what technologies will be discovered in the next century? Nanotechnologies, which include self-repair, like what we do biologically, may be less than two decades away. As long as there is a power source, be it electrical, solar, or biological (like sugar), repair can continue and structures may not weaken the way they do now thru fatigue and corrosion.

The law you are hazy about is the Second Law of Thermodynamics: disorder increases. But if you keep putting energy into the system, and energy was still available on earth, the disorder is transferred somewhere else.

Hyperjump is impossible. You are probably right there.

No sound in space Wrong. They weren’t in a total space vacuum. They were immediately next to a gas cloud, as clearly presented in the approach.

The climbing Wall-E. Someone answered this already. He seemed to have been able to climb the steps leading up to the transit system. Now let’s see in Wall-E2: Down to Earth if he can climb that tree (The Plant).

So most of your criticisms have been answered. Same with the original thread poster, also named Wall-E. He missed the solar panels in the truck for example. In addition:

Where did the Axiom get it’s resources? Again, the Axiom is parked next to a gas cloud with all sorts of gases, and elements and compounds. Even comets have amino acids and water and minerals. We only see a tiny fragment of what the Axiom is capable of doing.

Ship tipping and gravity. Yet again, they are next to a gas cloud which has its own gravity. Am I the only person out of 20 million people to recognize the significance of this cloud?

Sandstorms A pinhole camera and a processor could spot this. Also, with all those orbiting satellites, surely some monitored weather conditions and could still transmit info back to earth, and that network could have warned Wall-E.

Wall-E disintegrated! True. But then so would the ship, blasting thru the satellites at escape velocity of 25,000 mph, or coming that close to the sun.

Eve’s kiss The first kiss did something to his solar recharge system. But it is romantic, especially to us geeks, that it also imparted some secret tidings. Aren’t mysteries wonderful!

Wall-E getting memory back is cheesy No it was not. As I explained in the Advanced thread, we don’t know what other motherboards or memory discs he had in there, maybe that was just a damaged controller card. And Wall-E did indeed tell Eve to get back to Earth to repair him, AND THEN to reboot him. Case closed.

the gas cloud is to the SIDE of the ship, therefor the gravity thing doesn’t work.

I would agree that if I was sitting in the vending room at Pixar when ‘the boys’ were making a final decision about the ending of the film, I would have recommended a bolder ending.

There are two groups of people who need to be considered. Children and their parents who accompany them expect a ‘happy’ ending. Do you ever see anything differently in films like Nemo or A Shark’s Tale? Would you actually kill Wall-E off? Just imagine the uproar that would have caused! Also, studio executives eyeing Blockbuster films that attract big crowds and down a lot of popcorn nearly require a positive ending. A negative, sad ending leaves an overall bad feeling about the film, even if the viewer liked most other parts. It usually smacks as an art film, and huge audiences don’t go in droves to help a studio recover its $180M budget for those. Execs will stomp up and down to keep a sad ending from happening, especially to a film targeted heavily to kids and families.

A perfect way to examine this problem is the film Shakespeare in Love, the Academy Award winner for 1997. The film had a positive ending, but near the end the play Romeo and Juliet was performed to a full house in the Globe theater with Queen Elizabeth in attendance. Now we all know the ending for that play. Misery was more acceptable in those days, as happy endings were so far from reality in a time of plague and war. The queen got up at the end of the performance and asked the audience if they liked the show. One lower class youth answered her question by referring to something about the way Juliet died - showing his poor intellectual level, only looking at the last thing.

Audiences have been shown to be very sensitive to the first and last sequences in a movie. Firstly, they form First Impressions about a film quite early. This is why nudity is so often shown very early in some films. And then at the end you have to finish off the fireworks with multiple endings, layered evermore thickly with bombast. Unfortunately, movies are made with these people in mind.

Wall-E has two often intertwined storylines: the Plant and its bringing of humans back to ‘save’ earth and Wall-e+Eve to join in holding hands. And its the holding of hands that is unmistakably shown many times as a major goal. So we see Eve holding a dormant Wall-e’s hand at the very end. The humans are back and they plant The Plant, but Wall-e isn’t quite Wall-e. Should there be a shocking ending, like the shock of seeing the ravaged landscape in the opening moments?

What you want, WBoon, is for the team to put their thinking caps on and come up with a solution. And I bet there was some debate in that vending or lunchroom. Poor Wall-e, 700 years all alone, nearly blown up by Eve, then ignored by an encapsulated Eve, struck by lightning twice, nearly left alone again, nearly blown up(by Sigourney Weaver of all people), electrically fried, dumped into a garbage scowl, himself compacted into a trash cube, jettisoned, and crushed. After all that I guess the scriptwriter showed some sympathy. But a negative ending could have set the stage for a Wall-E2. And that would have been a positive thing… :smiley: