Please, no.

As far as I know, Pixar will always continue to make family films, and, as lizardgirl said, in addition to that, they may branch out into more mature fair. Something you may not be able to take a child under 12 or 15 to go see. Those films haven’t been released yet, so we can’t say for sure the level of maturity they will be. But if losing your respect, Al-Bob, is what it takes for Pixar to try something new and branch out, then so be it. I’d rather a company that takes risks and tries to appeal to different audiences with certain films, than for a company that locks itself into the family genre till the end of time.

Rachel-Ya i understand completely. I just don’t want them to risk losing their respect from “The Family”. I think if they branch out the amount of respect will drop. They can go through with this film if they want to but from what i’ve seen i probably won’t go and see it. It doesn’t go up my alley at all. Now if they modified the clothing, the creatures, and any other items that are offensive to me then i might…

" Now if they modified the clothing, the creatures, and any other items that are offensive to me then i might…"

The creatures ? Could you explain this so futher ?

Al-Bob - I don’t see what making a film that may not be for families, has to do with making a good film. I like family films, and I like Pixar films even more, and of course, I love Pixar family films. But I’m also an adult, and I would love for Pixar to handle more mature themes. Like I said, I don’t know how far Pixar will go into the mature realm itself, so I can’t comment too much, but it seems as if you think Pixar are going to start losing their morals, and start making films with gratuitous violence and sexual references. I don’t think Pixar will do that.

Part of the reason why Pixar has been a success is because of families going and seeing their films, but there is also a market out there for films that are not for kids, and I’d like to see what approach Pixar takes, even if it ends up being a PG-13 or M film (recommended for people over the age of 15.) There are tons of movies that are for mature audiences only, but are still good movies in their own right. Not everything in this world can be portrayed within a family movie, and if they tried to do that, it may start being to the detriment of that mature message (watered down.)

well i saw the book covers about a month ago and they didn’t sit well with me at all. One-The lady is very cladly dressed…and the creatures behind the man and next to John Carter didn’t look very child friendly at first sight.

If they could just edit the cover a little i might be able to see it. At the moment if they went by the cover i prabably wouldn’t be able to see it…

I know where you’re coming from Al-Bob, so I’ve made some adjustments ( with apologies to Edgar Rice Burroughs and Michael Whelan ) and I now present a decent and " A Proper Princess of Mars."

Hopefully this shows the proper respect deserved by the families and share holders of Disney and Pixar.

That is so funny, Blazeguard Jeff. You’ve even given the man a t-shirt and pants. 8D

Ha! Now it’s okay. Anyway, maybe this movie will be directed toward teens or young adults, as opposed to kids

Finally, someone responded. Thanks guys ! And for the rest…

It’s come out again and again and again and again that the film will be released outside of the Pixar banner unless they change it drastically as they write, but that doesn’t seem to be Stanton’s intent. It will probably be LIVE and somewhat like the Pirates movies. NOT FOR PRE-SCHOOLERS. IT never was intended to be. I’m glad someone has got it !

Al-Bob -is acceptable now ?

Haha, Blazeguard Jeff! That’s just inspired! Look at all the googly eyes! :laughing: Yup, it definitely looks like more of a Pixar film now, much more acceptable. :sunglasses:

Humans-Perfect…you could make them look (a little) more modern but not like the first pic :open_mouth:
Aliens-They look goofy…you can at least give them less evil faces then the first one…

Other then that it looked almost perfect although i can tell sarcasm when i see it…

If you can edit them to look real than i would probably go see that…

Humans perfect, aliens look goofy… You’re kidding me - right ? What compound did you say you live in ? I can’t take it anymore, the madness runs too deep and I’ve caused enough harm to the fine artists that have depicted the John Carter of Mars stories. I shall do no more.

Back to John Carter as he belongs, painted by the amazing Frank Frazetta. Shield your eyes oh sensitive one !

Aah, it burns! :laughing:

But seriously, that picture is awesome. :open_mouth: I think I’m warming to John Carter of Mars.

That’s a cool thing. When I saw Star Wars I thought, ‘wonderful ! Now give me John Carter !’ as I’d fallen in love with the books way back then. Now I’m hoping for wondeful, eye burning John Carter movies that will totally ecllipse what has happened to Star Wars.

Side note - the flying ships, desert stuff and fancy derring -do in Return on the Jedi ( and Lei’s get up ) is John Carter of Mars.

I’m going to have lunch now, and maybe slap my Jedi disk in…

Below - more Frazetta Mars goodness.

“Andrew Stanton has made many comments about John Carter of Mars being released outside of the Pixar umbrella, it will probably be released under Disney and packaged more like the Pirates movies.”

I’m hoping they’ll go for an epic and package/market it like Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, Braveheart and Lord of the Rings. The potential is there, if there is the interest and patience to dig it up and spit-shine it. :wink:

Abraham Sherman

Thanks for posting those Frazetta pics, Jeff. Lovely stuff.

What’s all this silliness about? Pixar knows where their bread is buttered. If they choose to contribute digital content to an action/adventure movie, the Nemo crowd is not obliged to go see it. To lose respect for Pixar over such a venture is sillier than criticizing Fred Penner for his stint on Broadway. These are not children making these films. It’s neither wrong nor amoral for an adult to want to express their creativity with more obviously grown-up oriented material. Not that this is going to be Tolstoy or anything.

I’m guessing (and hoping) that Pixar will be to John Carter what ILM is to Star Wars

Here’s more Mars art, this time by Rafael Kayanan:

I saw that at his own personal museum. :smiley: I didn’t meet him though - I did get to meet his wife, and his son who runs the nearby costume shop.

It really will be an exciting trilogy of films, I cant wait and have always been so very supportive of the animation as a medium rather then genre argument, I pray that these films are the turning point where animation finally gets taken more seriously, the most successful animation studio in the world making Mature animation is a fantastic start.

I’d Expect instead of a Disney|Pixar release, it will be more of a Touchstone|Pixar release.

Silly me, I didn’t realize you had already posted that Kayanan pic in another thread, Jeff.

It’s worth seeing again anyway.

That last image reminds me a little of the Star Wars poster.