OSCARS

Lol…! :laughing:

Like a lot have already said, it’s disappointing to me (even though I didn’t actually watch the Oscars) that Ben Burtt did not receive ANY recognition for his work on WALL•E; which was, to say the least, astounding. I have never seen Slumdog Millionaire either, but I just don’t see how it’s fair that half of the Oscars went to that movie alone. :frowning:

I’m extremely happy that Heath Ledger recieved Best Supporting Actor; even though I am not a Dark Knight fan. I remembered hearing about his death last year and thinking how hard it must have been for fans to watch that movie and know that he was gone. :cry: He deserved it. :slight_smile:

I think if I had actually watched the Oscars this year, I would have been really angry. So I’m kind of glad I’ve never watched it before. :laughing:

little chef

If I had an award for the most predictable awards ever… I dare say I would have given it to that show… Although Danny Boyle trying to do ‘Tigger’ showed that not everyone can pull off comedy, and if your British you’ve got very little chance of succeeding!

On the Award for Sound… How hard is it to re-create the sounds of Mumbai and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire… Not as hard as creating the languages of a Universe of Robots… WALL-E was to put it bluntly robbed. How long will it be before the academy notice Talented Composers Again? Maybe Princess & the Frog can claw it back for them?

Kate Winslet’s win, was out of sheer pity… come on it was only a matter of time before the academy finally went… “Yeah give her one”.

Predictions for 2010:
Best Animated Feature: Princess & The Frog
Everything else… well we shall have to wait and see what’s released around Christmas and The New Year… Possibly a Nomination for Downey Jr. for best actor in Sherlock Holmes, but you’ll never know.

Predictions for 2010: best special effects: James Cameron’s Avatar

Haven’t seen “slumdog”, buit I doubt it can top Wall·E.

Exactly. Ben Burtt was deserving of that award and we all know it. Why the Academy chose to disregard his work as not “up to par” with that of the sound effects in Slumdog Millionaire is a complete mystery to me.

As far as any predictions for the winner of the “Best Animated Feature” award for the 2010 Oscars go, I’m betting that Up will take home the gold. Like you said though, we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

– Mitch

I don’t know about you guys, but in my opinion, I believe all of the awards were well deserved and the winners were rightfully chosen. We forget that the fact that these movies were nominated is a big accomplishment itself.

BEST PICTURE 2009: “Where the Wild Things Are”

BEST DIRECTOR: Spike Jonze, “Where the Wild Things Are”

Who’s with me?

TS2: Hmmm, I really don’t know. They might get nominated for other awards, but I don’t see it winning best film or director.

One question, TSS

Do you hate children??? (jk) :wink:

I agree.

Although I was devastated that Wall-E did not win, the media titles chosen were deserving. Slumdog Millionare , from what I’ve heard (I’m not aloud to see it yet) was amaizing…

I’m actually pretty disappointed that WALL-E didn’t win any other awards, especially for sound design. I mean, best animated feature was good but…
I’m not really allowed to watch slumdog millionaire but it must be pretty good. I don’t even know what it’s about…

Its about a slumdog that knows all these questions to the millionare game…
really good :smiley:

I, for one, have watched it, and I’m sorry, as much as I love Slumdog for its exotic locale and inspired storytelling, it felt a little ‘manipulative’ and sentimental for me. I mean, yes, it’s good, really good, but not that good.
It certainly did not deserve Best Achievement in Sound and Best Achievement in Original Song for sure. Yes, I loved ‘Jai Ho’, but it was not as heartwarming and poignant as ‘Down to Earth’. And I can’t think of any reason whatsoever why it deserved Sound when Mr Burtt’s sound effects were more brilliant and inspired.
It’s still showing 19 weeks (that’s like… 4 months and 3 weeks after its release, not even Dark Knight lasted that long!) after its theatre bow in Oz, with still 3 showings a day in major cineplexes (while others which are only a month old are down to one a day). I don’t get the hype. I really want to love it, but after it became ‘flavour of the year’, it started to get overrated and I now have a mild disdain for it. :frowning:
Sorry if I offended any fans. I like it, I really do. Just thought the Academy could have made history by voting Best Pic for a superhero or animated film (you know which ones I’m talking about), instead of pandering to their foreign viewers. To have done that would be unprecedented, and last year was their best shot. Needless to say, they blew that one chance, and it’s not likely to happen again for a long time, judging by future releases.
End rant. JAI HO! :slight_smile:

If you do not think Slumdog deserved an Oscar, you cannot say JAI HO to me!!! :cry:

Sorry TS2, can I say “Peace Out” instead? :smiley:
Look, I didn’t say it didn’t deserve the Best Pic Oscar, if that was the “an Oscar” you were referring to. Out of all the voted nominees, I was rooting for Slumdog in Best Pic too. :wink:
But I thought it didn’t deserve the ‘clean sweep’ of the other awards, especially when there were better nominees in the other categories. It smelt too much of a conspiracy and patronising of globalisation, as much as I want the Academy to open up to foreign-made films.
That said, I would like to stress again that I loved the film, it’s a 4/5 star for me. But when it started to get overhyped and hog the limelight, that did it in for me. :slight_smile:

YES :exclamation: :exclamation: oh and JAIHO :smiley:

Uh… :neutral_face: Is anyone going to respond maturely to my comments? :smiley:
Fair 'Enuff.
Jai ho, assalamualaikum, 和平与你同在 and peace be upon y’all! Amen. :slight_smile:

Don’t take it so seriously, thedriveintheatre! :wink:

No, thedriveintheatre has a good point, and even though I haven’t seen Slumdog yet, I have to agree that the Academy seems to have given awards to undeserving movies so they’d be seen as “with it” in being accepting of other cultures Instead of basing each award recipient on the performance and quality in each respective category, the Academy has looked at the broader picture so they can gain some cred with the general public.

For example, I don’t think you can say the SM has better sound design than WALL-E. The latter film relied heavily on sound design, and personally, I could watch the film with just the sound effects and sound work. The whole first 1/3 of the film had basically no dialogue, for goodness’ sake. If Ben Burtt hadn’t done such an excellent job on the film, it would have fallen flat. But because WALL-E was critically successful, and with a lot of people saying that the first 1/3 of the film was stunning (me included) that has to mean something, right? Also, as much as I am an absolute supporter of gay rights, I think Milk won its awards too because it’s the social issue of the moment. Which is nice, in its own way, because gay rights gets support from Hollywood, which of itself, can be charted as the social progress across the years. But I don’t think basing awards on what will be seen as ‘cool’ was the right thing to do, and Pixar, and other films suffered because of that behaviour.

Yeah but I think Mr. Lance Black really deserved that OSCAR for his script. And I’m against gay marriage! :open_mouth:

Okay dokay, TS2. After all, I live by the Joker’s mantra: “Whhyy… so… serious… uh!” :smiley:

Rachel pretty much said whatever I believed in, that the Oscar has degenerated from a special occasion paying tribute the best in film (and not which is the most ‘intelligent’ by critics’ standards) into a media circus that honours the flavour of the year. This is getting increasingly worse each year as more ‘Oscar-bait’ movies start getting churned out towards the end of the year, and as superlatives by adoring critics start getting tossed around.

This year in particular was probably a desperate bid to be seen as hip by the Academy. “Look how we don’t take ourselves so seriously! We have Mr Jackman doing a shoestring cabaret as the introduction. What a brilliant satire on the current world economy! Eh? Eh? And see how nice we are to be giving kudos to foreign-made film about an unlikely chaiwalah who beats the odds? Isn’t it wonderful how life reflects art? Let’s give 'em as many awards as we can get away with, while giving a few consolation prizes to the rest for trying.”

If I had it my way, I would have given “Best Directing” and “Best Writing: Adapted Screenplay” to Slumdog, “Best Original Screenplay”, “Best Sound Mixing”, “Best Music (Score)” and “Best Music (Song)” to Wall-E, “Best Cinematography” to Dark Knight or Benjamin Button (I haven’t seen the film, but some of the shots from the trailer impressed me more than any I saw in the entirety of Slumdog’s) and Best Pic a toss-up between Dark Knight and Wall-E.

The fact that an animated film has been nominated for so many categories shows that people are willing to accept it for being more than just a cartoon and being on the level of a live-action film. And the Academy could have capitalised on this and made history. Unfortunately they didn’t, and we’ll probably not see this happen again for a long time.

I haven’'t and couldn’t watch Milk, not during its theatrical release anyway. Singapore gave it an R21 for the gay love-making opening, though I don’t understand why one scene of intimacy between two human beings meant the entire film is off-limits to below-21s, while Friday the 13th, a gory slashfest about a violent serial killer got away with an M18.

But censorship inconsistencies aside, I’m still quite disappointed Mickey Rourke didn’t quite make the comeback we were hoping for. Again, the Academy were big fat chickens for giving Sean Penn, who has won an Oscar before, another golden statue. Again I can’t be credible since I have watched neither films, but I’m still bitter about how Mr Rourke didn’t quite get his ‘fairytale’ ending.

Once more, I hope I’m not stepping on anyone’s toes here. I love Slumdog, it very much deserved Best Director and Best Script. And I’m pleased Milk got Best Original Screenplay, just to generate a little publicity on a pertinent civil rights issue in the U.S. Although I think Wall-E should have been more deserving since it wasn’t “based on a true story.”

I don’t mean to sound like a ‘two-cents machine’ (“Here’s my two-cents. Geddit?”), but I think it would be interesting for you to check Slumdog out, Rachel, however much overrated we may both think it to be. It’s still worth a look, and the element of ‘true love against great adversities’ is reflected as much in Slumdog as Wall-E too, so maybe you’ll find something to like about it. And TS2, although you may be anti-homosexual, it may help to see the argument from the ‘other people’s’ side of view. Even if you ignore the political commentaries, there’s apparently a lot of the usual drama and pathos about the risk he takes to stand up for the rights of a marginalised community.

Aside from that, I’m not looking forward much to the 82nd Oscars, judging by the lack of groundbreaking films this year, and how I’m pretty much convinced they’re probably going to shoehorn Up, 9, and Princess and the Frog into the Best Animated Slum Category again.