No more "newt?"

Before anyone asks, I have no clue about this. No one could tell me anything about it.

With that out of the way, I REALLY hope this is bull. I’m really looking forward to Newt, more than any of the upcoming stuff we know of. TS3’s shaping up to look superb, Cars 2 seems like it’s got a good chance of being better than the first, and TBatB is warming up on me. Still, I’m so eager for this one over the rest.

Tell me about it, ffdude. :confused: And rest assured, I don’t know too much either.

I think Pixar would have to announce if they were canning this.

And it’d be unusual to do this to a film with a release date. I think they’re just moving it.

They’ve killed and passed on plenty of projects before. The Princess Frog was originally developed at Pixar, and they’ve reportedly tried doing a video games division 2 or 3 times now. I don’t remember them ever announced a film and THEN gone back on it. That said, the whole idea of announcing such a huge chunk of their forthcoming slate when they did was pretty uncharacteristic, too.

And since everyone is chiming in on this, I’m the most pumped for Bear and the Bow, and Newt 2nd most. I totally support the sequels from a business point of view, but the idea of sequels bore me no matter the studio.

Oh nooo… please don’t let this be true. Next to Cars 2, I was looking forward to Newt, since it appealed to me in a buddy flick/romantic comedy kinda way. Not to mention I was instantly sold on the ‘Mating Dance’ guide from the pre-prod artwork. :frowning:

Like you guys mentioned, dumping projects has been unprecedented in Pixar’s history, so I really hope this is just a rumour and nothing more…

I know the basic stories, but not enough about either to be very excited or sad about Newt and the Bear and the Bow. Although, I would rather see both made rather than Cars 2, and CERTAINLY more than Monsters Inc., 2. Toy Story 3 is a must-have, after how good TS2 was, and how everyone who grew up with Andy is now around his age, etc. But everyone complains about how Cars isn’t the best of Pixar’s projects, and they’re still making a sequel. I just like that Toy Story is the only Pixar film with sequels, and I don’t want that to be ruined I guess.

I really hope these rumors are false, because ‘Newt’ sounded like the best of the that slate announced last year.

Okay I missed that…I’m feeling a lot better about Newt’s future now :wink:

I’m more interested in Newt for a very, very simple reason; I love newts! So cute! =3 Still really looking forward to BatB though…there hasn’t been a Pixar film I haven’t looked forward to. :laughing:

Oh I HOPE NOT! I think the idea of this movie is funny and could make for an awesome adventure!! :frowning: I was so excited when I first heard about Newt…I hope its just in Limbo…and maybe will find its way to the big screen sooner or later. It doesn’t seem like Pixar to drop an idea entirely…

I seriously hope this isn’t true too. I mean, out of the newer up coming Pixar films yah this was one of the ones I was looking forward to.

I was looking forward to Newt also, I wouldn’t care much if they replaced it with Cars two.

Good point. Maybe the current story is nowhere near ready to be released in 2012, so they’re probably thinking of developing it more and pushing the due date back for it. That actually happens a lot with animated movie projects.

On the other hand, if Newt isn’t going to be Pixar’s 2012 film release, then I really wonder what’s going to replace it? I really hope it’s something really good. D:

I was always really curious to see how this film was going to turn out. newt seemed like it would be the more mature PIXAR film, as the entire plot focuses on the two needing to procreate by the end of the film. Not exactly something kids might be interested in, and I can imagine it would be a very difficult subject to sell as an animated family film.

I certainly hope it isn’t dead though. Does anyone know anything else about the current status?

I’m not really interested in Newt…however I do hope they can make the right choice. Some films aren’t supposed to work, and maybe this “Newt” is one of them…I guess I hope it works. :confused:

Pixar, think of the children!

Oh well, I didn’t. I think Monsters Inc. 2 will be better then Newt. I mean, who doesn’t want to see Mike again? :wink:

{quote}
On the other hand, if Newt isn’t going to be Pixar’s 2012 film release, then I really wonder what’s going to replace it? I really hope it’s something really good. D:

It will be good. Brave and Monsters, Inc 2 will fill in for Newt in 2012, Brave being released June 25 and M.I 2 released November sometime. I forget which day, but they are definately releasing them that year.

I too hope that Newt won’t be canned, even though it does sound a little mature for kids.

Pixar has handled mature themes like racism (Ratatouille), abandonment (Wall-E) and death (Up), so I don’t see why it can’t touch something as simple and beautiful as procreation. It’s not like they haven’t hinted at sensuality before (The Incredibles, Cars, etc.), so why the hypocrisy for Newt? Even Ice Age 2 has a similar theme and that saw a theatrical release, so I’m hoping Newt’s not getting canned just because of the ‘We can’t imply the s-e-x word to kids!’ excuse. :frowning:

I just hope this is a case of ‘indefinite hiatus’ and not outright ‘giving up’.

Oh yeah, they have touched on mature themes before TDIT, now you mention it. I’ve been a bit blind! XD I would have liked to have seen how they could’ve handled such a theme like procreation.

I doubt it’s because of the perhaps slightly mature theme…As you said thedriveintheatre, Pixar know how to handle something like that. It’s probably more to do with the direction of the film, perhaps not knowing where it’s going, how to conclude it, maybe some parts of it just aren’t fitting right. It happens unfortunately. I hope that despite all of this, Pixar works at sorting these problems out in the same way that they’ve done in the past.

It’s official. pixarblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/e … elled.html

Come on, let’s all shed a tear at the same time. :`-(

I’m really disappointed Pixar had to shelve this project… I found out about this on Wall-E forums. But I have to side with most of the members there that if Pixar bins a project, it’s probably for the better. I’d rather they stop something if it’s not working out, rather than finish and push it out for a quick buck.

Still, this is the first time Pixar has ‘given up’ on something, and with the rate of their sequel productions, I hope this doesn’t become a recurring feature (And if it’s because of those Disney execs, I’m gonna ‘tar and feather’ them). I’d rather they cancel Monsters Inc 2, and even yes, Cars 2 just so that this can go ahead, but sadly it’s not to be.