New Up Pics/Articles/Links Here

When I saw this on my MSN news , I just had to post it here. That is the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard, and it really goes with the movie…

ocregister.com/articles/pixa … -home-show

How sad! :cry:

Yeah, that article is a tad bit old, but so incredibly touching. I really respect Pixar for going out of the way to do that for her. It’s really inspiring. They really love what they do, and their fans. :slight_smile:

afsuihiuhadgiuasdfgu. It also irks me that they call it a Disney movie, even though it really isn’t. They also misspelled “WALL-E” as “Wal-E”. Also, I don’t get this sentence. "This brings attention to Disney and the fact that not all promoted are movies. "

Fail review. Probably written by a Pixar-hating 12 year old.

Darn you Bryko, I’m constantly trailing you! :stuck_out_tongue: At least I go to the theater. :smiley:

Why would a kid write about some Disney product helping toddlers learn to read?

And expect my view count to go way up once school is over this week. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine will skyrocket once it’s out of theaters (if you catch my drift), as I won’t have to rely on getting out of the house. Still, It’s so great in theaters. And it’ll probably slow down slightly once school starts and the DVD is out (features and all)

As for the reviewer, I didn’t even go to the trouble to read the whole thing. Probably just trying to get some attention by freaking people out.

I didn’t see a review; I saw someone trying to sell magazine subscriptions.

I think Up is going to be the movie that drags me into the 21st century and finally convinces me to buy a Blu-Ray player. :sunglasses:

That’s a different point of view. I actually going to buy a BD player if a CGI effects in the movie convinces me buy it.

But yeah, I think I’ll buy because of Up.

I’m the same way. I’ve never been interested in a Blu-ray player til now, I do NOT wanna miss out on the extra features. I want to see everything about this movie. Hopefully since this is a landmark for Pixar (film no. 10, 3d) they’ll go all out on the features, like more than Wall•E. Plus, isn’t going back over like all their movies in Blu-ray? I know they just did A Bug’s Life. I’m hoping for a player for my B-day in August, in time for the release, as well as all the available movies.

I was watching the Filipino news on SBS Two (yes, I watch news shows in languages I don’t understand) and at the end of every show they have a segment called “Patok!”, where they have the lighter, feel-good news of the day and I flicked the channel over just in time to see them introduce the segment for Up, which focuses on Ricky Nierva working on the film. The segment I watched was in Tagalog, but you get the general gist of it anyway even if you don’t speak the language (something-something-something DREAM JOB something-something PIXAR) but on the website they have an English version of the video. He talks about the other Filipinos working there (refering to Ronnie Del Carmen as well one of the security guards as well as others, I guess) and the group is nicknamed Pix-noy. Anyway, I know we have a few Filipinos here and I kinda geeked out when I saw it 'cause it was kinda unexpected but cool to see Up getting international coverage at the same time.

Here’s the English version on the website: abs-cbnnews.com/video/pinoy- … ind-pixars

EDIT: Dang, Martin bet me to it on Upcoming Pixar. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the link! That was a nice story.

Edit: I’ve been meaning to mention - sorry if this has been posted already, but the official Disney Up site has a clip up now titled “The Pursuit.” It’s the first half-or-so of the [spoil]“Escape from Muntz Mountain” sequence (as it’s titled on the soundtrack), ending right after Russell goes off the cliff and is swinging on his tether.[/spoil] This is one of my favorite scenes from the movie, and although I wish there were more of it, I was really excited to see this on the site.

variety.com/article/VR111800 … 1&nid=2562

So Up could possibly be released in a 3D version, using the new technology they’re working on, someday. :smiley:

Yes, but it wont be any time soon. and the catch is that you’d have to upgrade your tv and blu ray player to 3d capable versions.

Here is a link to a promotion over the Brazilian release. This will be one of the top 15 markets for the movie. They have a clip in Portugeuse, and a translated interview with Pete Docter!

translate.google.com/translate?h … bs%3Dqdr:d

[url]http://www.animationmagazine.net/article/10819[/url]

A neat interview with Ronnie Del Carmen - I would love to see him do the continuing adventures of Dug (maybe as a series of shorts for the Disney Channel, like “Mater’s Tall Tales”), and I’d love to hear his story ideas of how Dug joined the pack.

In today’s LA Times “The Envelope” section (a special section that comes out a few times before Oscar season, aimed at Academy voters and full of ads and barely-even-fluff-journalism pieces on various movies and crew), there were articles on Up and Giacchino’s score for it.

Some of it is on online.
Here’s an article about Giacchino composing for “Up”:
[i]In approximately four minutes, composer Michael Giacchino had to reflect a lifetime. Early in Disney-Pixar’s computer-animated “Up,” the film’s main character, Carl, experiences marriage, loss and all the highs and lows of the decades in between.

A sort of mini-movie within a movie, the scenes get specific. Capturing in music, for instance, the emotions of a husband and wife immediately after they find out they won’t have children isn’t an easy task, especially when one must do so in just a few seconds of a family film.

It was a struggle, Giacchino said, but he ultimately crafted an elegant waltz, letting the violin lead a path around wistful brass notes one instant and a reflective piano the next.

“It was very hard to find a balance,” Giacchino said. "When is it OK to be sad? When is it OK to be big and small? There are moments that could have been treated like a big, emotional, overbearing kind of a thing.

“But for me,” Giacchino continued, “it was about going in the opposite direction. I looked at it as if, ‘If I were in this room at this moment, what would I say to them?’ I would probably be as quiet and gentle and as soft as possible.’ So that’s what I wanted to do with the music, as opposed to grabbing the person and screaming, ‘I’m so sorry! This is awful!’”[/i]

There are other articles about the top condenders for original score (including Randy Newman, another Pixar composer). You can see them all by going here:
latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/
Scroll down a ways to see the “Up” article.

There’s also another “articles” about the various contenders for best animated picture, and there’s on on “Up” as well:
theenvelope.latimes.com/la-en-an … ory?page=3

[i]"Things keep looking ‘Up’

Pixar Animation Studios has successfully tackled all sorts of tricky plots: talking cars, cooking rats and trash-compacting robots among them. But not until writer-director Pete Docter’s “Up” did the animation kingpin wonder if it really had an unfilmable movie on its hands.

“There was nothing known in this one – there was nothing to lean back on, no sexy hook,” says Docter, who has credits on Pixar’s “Wall-E,” “Monsters, Inc.” and the two “Toy Story” movies. “It was just a bizarre idea.”

Even though the film – like any Pixar production – went through countless rewrites, overhauls and false starts, “Up’s” core premise didn’t drift too far off course from conception to completion: An old man floats away on a bunch of balloons, propelled by great dreams but weighed down by unfulfilled promises.

"We wondered, ‘Is this idea too weird?’ " Docter says. “It was certainly difficult to get green lit.”

It turned out to be a good decision to make it.

“Up” not only stands as one of the most commercially successful Pixar releases of all time (it trails only “Finding Nemo” on the box-office charts), but also among its best reviewed: While “Up” seems a lock for an animation Oscar nomination, several Academy Award prognosticators say the film has a shot for best picture, particularly since the field is expanding to 10 movies. “Even to hear talk of that,” Docter says, “is mind-blowing.”

It’s due, in part, to the little things. There’s little debate that the film’s four-minute montage – in which the lives of Carl and Ellie Fredricksen are recounted without a line of dialogue – stands as one of the year’s most accomplished snippets of storytelling.

“We just tried to make sure that every single thing was in there for a reason,” says Docter. “It’s either setting something up, or paying something off.”

Still, Docter knows animation is seen by some as an artistic ghetto, a lesser form of cinema – a cartoon, in other words. “There’s a certain section of the voters who are not likely to want to watch it,” Docter says of “Up.” “We want them to see it as a film, not as animation.”

Maybe that day is at hand."[/i]

Finally, it’s interesting to note that in this section full of ads targeting Academy voters, the two-page color spread for “Up” has 6 quotes from critics talking about how good a film it is. And quote #2 talks only about the score (“Mr. Giacchino has written some marvelous scores… this one, though, is something else – touching, lilting, swooping, stirring, heartbreakingly elegiac… altogether original, and irresistible.” – Joe Morgensterm, The Wall Street Journal) The two-page ad itself has “THE BEST REVIEWED FILM OF THE YEAR” across the top, and at the bottom says “For Your Consideration in All Catagories, including Best Picture, Best Animated Feature, Best Original Score.”

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but it is a montage by Ben Zuk of “2009: Moments in Film” that will definitely be of interest to Up fans. :slight_smile:

[url]- YouTube

I tell you what, the last piece of music he uses in this, the one that starts with just the piano - whoever wrote that really deserves an Oscar for it!! :wink:

@ Karly, Bryko tweeted that video, and when that music started playing,… 20 seconds, and my face was soaked. I hadn’t seen Up in a long time, and I was almost questioning my love for it, that put the slap on my face. Not losing my love for this movie, ever.