Netbug's Tall Tales

:smiley:

Here’s a few unrelated snippets I wrote to songs for practice:

[b]WALL-E

Untitled Snippets 1[/b]

“A…” McCrea struggled to read the eroded letters carved into the side of the battered tin “…ti…time capsule?” He handled the small container curiously, and after several minutes of merely looking over the outside decorations depicting small bread-like circles covered in smaller colored pieces, he opened the lip gently.

The hallways were little more than a blur as EVE zoomed through them carrying WALL-E, running on instinct and vague memory to get them back to the lido deck. It was a miracle how rarely she had to slow and think about which direction she was heading.

She heard music; a song they’d danced too back on Earth, and soon the noises of a good dozen rejected robots following behind her at a speed they shouldn’t have been able to. The blare of alarms sounding continued to hum as their red shaded picture popped up on every monitor in sight.

All that mattered amidst the noise was the weight of a small, boxy, broken robot in her arms.

For 700 years, he’d been alone, continuing to do his mundane job each and every day, watching the same old movie surrounded by his collection every night. The more EVE heard of that story, the more she wondered how even somebody as cheery as WALL-E couldn’t be affected at all by that.

And that’s how she started noticing them; all telltale signs of the hardship he’d been through. Like how he didn’t like silence much at all, always listening to something (or preferably someone.) When she’d come home from her job around the Axiom colony, he’d look so dejected before seeing her.

But then he did see her.

And his eyes brightened instantly.

EVE wasn’t sure she knew everything to expect when it came to WALL-E, but she knew that he loved her, and she planned to be there to love him right back for the rest of their lives.

She hated him. She absolutely hated him. No. It was worse than that. She didn’t even notice him. They were the only two moving things on the planet (sans Hal) and she didn’t bat an eye at him.

Well, it could have been worse?

Right?

At least she stopped shooting at him after the first few encounters.

And she was still [i]here.[/i]

Time was time. A system set to be unchanging. Seconds were all the same. Minutes were all the same. Hours were all the same. A computer was programmed to see time at this level of simplicity. Whether it was an illusion or relative or any of that was not how humans set it, and therefore had no importance.

So why was it, now that WALL-E was in danger, time felt like it moved more quickly for EVE?

Humans were blurs. They rushed to and fro, only getting in her way. Stewards seemed to come at her at light speed. Her gun could never shoot fast enough. WALL-E was fading too quickly and she couldn't stand the mess of illogical feelings that somehow ruined her perception and made it all the more keen and in tune simultaneously.

She had to get out of here now. With him now. Now was impossible. She was in a different place than “out” right now. But still, it had to be [i]now.[/i]

[b]WALL-E

Untitled Snippets 2[/b]

Call WALL-E selfish, but he had no plans to leave the Axiom without EVE, no matter what got in his way. He’d get out of as many escape pods as it took. Take as many shocks as he needed to. Protect as many green things as she wanted, even though he didn’t really know what they were (they were pretty though, and more delicate than they seemed at first. Like she was.).

He simply did what he was told, and in that sense, he was the only well functioning robot left on the Axiom.

And this was where the trouble truly set in. Where the thorns really appeared. When she saw him dysfunctional and leaking oil. It shouldn’t have hurt. It wasn’t possible for it to hurt. She wasn’t built for it to hurt. If she saw a malfunctioning unit, her only choices were supposed to be ignoring it or reporting it to Buy N Large if it looked like vandalism or was an especially important device.

But WALL-E wasn't important to Buy N Large. He was important to her. And she could only count on herself to fix him now. If she could have passed him along to somebody else and trusted that they would make him better, she would have in a heartbeat, having trouble seeing him like this much less working with his mechanics and seeing all the damage. 

But nobody else could fix him like she could. Nobody [i]knew[/i] him like she did. A selfish reason, but an all too true one.

Great job with all the snippets! I really like the way you show it from a certain characters perspective. :smiley:

Thank you. :slight_smile:

As Finn would say… “Brilliant!” 8D

But seriously, I really liked it! My favorite was Eve Smiles and the third of the first snippets… the one talking of how Wall-e’s hardships have affected him. And I liked the second Cars 2 one… A Car by the Name of Finn McMissile. Great stuff. Looking forward to more! :smiley:

Thanks! :smiley:

Oh look! A new fanfic! It’s been a while, huh? :blush:

[b]Cars
Mater/Holley

“Date”[/b]

That amused smile hadn’t gone away. There had been plenty of time between when Mater had introduced them and now for Finn to have stopped smirking as they traveled towards Paris, but the oldest member of the trio continued to give Holley the same look as she explained the statistics of the mission.

“…What?”

“Well, Miss Shiftwell, I suppose I never took Agent Mater as your type.”

She scowled, but Finn didn’t falter like she’d hoped he would. “As a matter of fact, he’s not.”

“Then how did you wind up as Mater’s ‘date’, as he put it?”

Why did spies have to know everything? Daft question, Holley knew; spies were conditioned to be nosy. But Finn didn’t need to look like he was getting so much schadenfreude out of her ordeal.

And it was an ordeal.

She looked over at Mater messing around with the buttons on his seat as she tried to figure out how to tell the story she was doomed to recollect.

A huge ordeal.

He ended up spinning in circles with the wrong push. Like a kid.

A horrible ordeal.

He had stopped freaking out and was now having fun with getting sick in his chair. She tried not to laugh, which should have been an easier task than it was, since he wasn’t cute and it wasn’t funny.

She turned back to Finn in one quick swerve, like she had just whipped a thought out of her mind.

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

Great job! I feel a bit sorry for poor Holley. Everyone was definitely in character, so great job!

Holley is the smartest one in the entire film. I feel sorry for her too. XD

I liked it! Felt kind of bad for Holley in that one.

LOL everyone feels sorry for her. Perfect. XD

[b]Cars
Mater/Holley

Classified[/b]

But most often, she’d send him letters.

Letters without a return address or even a postmark, written on some high tech paper that would begin squawking about spontaneous combustion as he was reaching the last paragraph.

Uhp. Hold on, there…

Aaaaaand…

Done! He’d toss the paper out of his garage and 3, 2, 1, 0! A tourist jumped five feet in the air at the sound of a small explosion near a towing and salvage shop that looked even more rustic than the rest of the town. But he’d already adjusted to the sound and had moved on, adding to his mental list of things he wanted to tell her. Replies he wanted to give her the next time he could see her face or even know her location to write back.

…Whenever that’d be.

Great job with this again!

Great job! Can’t wait to see more.

Thank you. :smiley:

No problem. I always enjoy reading these.

Same here^.

[b]Cars
Mater/Holley

Ignition[/b]

It wasn’t every day a rusty tow truck like him got to go to a party like this. The lights danced in a plethora of neon colors against the contrasting ground, bouncing off the metallic statues that Mater had overheard some other cars saying was the “art” that made this place at “art museum.” (He didn’t know art could spin around like that!) The food was strange, unique, delicious, and something he had no plans to go near ever again.
And then there was the Jaguar he’d just passed.

The Jaguar that was heading back in his direction.

“H-Hello.”

She was stuttering. Was she shy? Shy around him? And then it hit the truck; there was the slightest chance that a car was actually interested in him. A car that was really, really beautiful.

And Mater’s new goal for the evening became helping the shy lady loosen up a little and have a conversation. He wiggled his eyebrows.

“Why helllllo!

A/N: This was inspired by an interview with Mr. Cable Guy, where he commented that Mater was excited that a girl was actually interested in him. Or so Mater thought.

For the record, I love minimalist sculptures. I just imagine Mater being more traditional/not understanding how something like that could be considered art.

I am so proud that I didn’t name this ficlet “Start”. That would have been stupid.

Great job! Quite an interesting situation he’s in and the way you decribed the party at the start was great. I really enjoyed it.

Thank you. I had fun describing the museum. :smiley: