Moviepocalypse 101 - Terminator (1984) Review

Hey just a quick question is the site themoviepreviewcritic.blogspot.com yours?

Yeah, it belongs to me. I kinda abandoned it a little while ago after I moved on to Pixar Planet.

~ Flare

Here’s another one, would this Youtube channel happen to be yours?
youtube.com/user/moviepreviewcritic
That’s funny, cos’ you sound more American than Singaporean. You seem to have a pretty big fan following. :wink:

I wouldn’t use myself the matinee rating, I always try to go half price :laughing:

Would everyone just forget my alternate identity and just comment on my review (I’ve put a lot of hard into it, spending about 4 days writing it)? :-\ I don’t really like to talk about it, [b:1pyl64ps]thedriveintheater[/b:1pyl64ps], and I hope you could do the least of respecting that.

~ Flare

Holy cow, I didn’t realize how comprehensive this thing is! You worked your Singaporean tush off on this thing! I’m still only about a quarter of the way through it right now, this is insane dude. It’s like a frame by frame recap and analyzation of this movie. Bravo, I shall continue reading this BOOK of a review.

ffdude1906: lol Yeah, but I think I talked too much about certain aspects, thus repeating myself at times (like how great the action or music is, etc.). Expect the next review on the second installment to improve on this point.

Thanks for reading, dude! I hope you would express your views on my thoughts later. :wink:

~ Flare

I didn’t know you had an alter-ego… judging from your avatar pic and sig taglines, I thought that you had another YT channel; it looked pretty interesting, and I wanted to know if it was yours (or if it’s not, are you a fan of him), because it’s pretty awesome and I want to subscribe to it. But if I touched a raw nerve there or somethin’, I apologise. :neutral_face:

Well, I just spent the last half hour reading your review, and I must say, you brought up some interesting points on how the music, the dialogue, and the actions of the movie all had purpose and lent themselves to the character’s personalities. It’s been a long time (about 4-5 years? wow, time really flies) since I last watched the first film, but I can still remember it clearly, because it made such an impact one me. I was watching it mainly in preparation for T3, and it got me started on T2, which was also an excellent sequel, but really, T1 and T2 made T3 look lame in comparison. The first two were really genre-defining films for sci-fi/action, and the romantic element in the first made it that much more special to me.

I liked the bit where you wrote on the evolution life cycle of a franchise. Some franchises like Ice Age (I’m hoping, I’m basing this assumption on reviews) and Toy Story (again, I’m can’t say for sure if Pixar pulls off the third) may get better with each installment, but otherwise, they either fail by the second (Son of Mask), the third (Shrek the Third) or go for a fourth and beyond, by which time it gets tiresome (Fast and Furious, Live Free or Die Hard, Saw 5, Lethal Weapon 4, etc.).

Anyway, I still find it incredible you wrote that out all by yourself, over the course of 4 days! Talk about dedication! Have you ever considered writing a book or becoming a film critic at SPH?

Dang, hard to get any progress on this beast! You do repeat yourself a bit throughout, but it’s forgivable, don’t fret. I feel like I’m reading a book about the movie, rather than a review. It’s nice to get all the details of what you love about each section of the movie, kinda lets me know how you think.

I really think you’re gonna love Up, after reading all the storytelling elements you like about this movie. Up has a lot of really clever and unique aspects to its delivery, and the story itself is an absolute masterpiece. There is a bit of cheesy humor thrown in, but it’s balanced and tasteful. It’s also one of those movies that makes you think about the plot throughout, and some of the higher emotional moments are really well done.

Sorry to go off track like that, but your mention of story mechanics kind of made me think about how they work in Up, so I though I’d spill. Great read so far, but I can’t finish it right now, :frowning: I have work in about 20 minutes. I’m finishing it tonight, when I get home, for sure!

Nah, thedriveintheater, I just don’t feel comfortable talking about that channel. Sorry if I sounded angry - I was not - I just wanted to avoid talking about it. It’s kind of a personal thing and I can’t really talk about it here. Sorry about that.

If you want to subscribe to that other channel of mine, be my guest, because there are most videos coming soon. I guess another reason I don’t like it to be affiliated with this site is also because it has a lot of non-Pixar stuff. I did try to include some other Pixar related videos over the past few years, but a busy schedule and demanding fans got me over the head. I might do (another) one on Up, soon, but I’m unsure.

T3 at least have some standard. At least it’s interesting and have some character developments. I couldn’t emphasize enough just how important this is and T4 is just totally lack of that.

Saw is getting a little bit tiring, but it’s fun. It needs to get new ideas, soon, but it hasn’t really reached the fourth stage of burnout, yet.

And as for the proposal to participate in the SPH (which I believe to be the Singapore Press Holdings you are referring to), I think I’m not ready for that, yet. :stuck_out_tongue: As you could tell, my reviews lack a voice of professionalism and has a more casual tone to them. I like to keep it that way, however, as it helps me connect to my audience. Besides, it’s fun. :slight_smile:

My goal before the month September is to try and save up as much money as I could, so that by the time it’s released in September, I could cash it all in with 5-6 sessions everyday! Let’s see if I could still beat that record, yet, ffdude1906. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for you being unable to finish it, it’s completely understandable. :laughing: Don’t worry, I’ll be posting more reviews throughout this month, so you don’t have to rush yourself. :wink:

That’s all for now; sorry if I sounded a bit whiny just now (I’m just a kid, afterall :stuck_out_tongue:). Until next time, choose your movies wisely, because H-wood gives us more of what we pay for, and as always,

LONG LIVE GOOD MOVIES.

~ Flare

That’s okay, I’m sorry too. I must admit, though, I like your posh Yank accent. So you’re a Singaporean expat, then? Cool beans! :wink:

Ooh, that would be cool! I hope you wouldn’t mind posting that up for us to hear then, come September.

Yup, that’s what I meant. You could write for the Life section of the Straits Times or First (one of my fave magazines, and something Singapore can be proud of!). Maybe you could start by writing reviews for your school magazine if they have one. I’m doing that now, just check out the Monsters vs Aliens thread for my recent publication in my university’s student-run mag. :wink:

Woah, knowing how often S’pore theatres run Pixar movies, that would be like all the sessions for a single day! :open_mouth:

S’okay. Just try to keep that temper in check, yeah? And sorry if I aggro-ed you.

Wow, you’re really gonna go to 5-6 showings of Up in a single day? I actually wouldn’t advise it. There’s 3 reasons.

One being, at least for me, it’s a pretty emotionally exhausting movie. I’d probably end up passing out during the 3rd or 4th showing from crying so much.

Two, I prefer spanning it over 1 or 2 days, simply because it needs to be savored before I go back (although I did go 4 days in a row once, and just got done doing 3 in a row)

And 3, I’d get too burnt out on it too fast watching it that densely, or at least fear losing interest from so much in one day. I do plan on watching it at least 5-6 times a week once the dvd comes out though.

Plus, there’s the fact of the money, but you’ve addressed that already.

Keep in mind, these are personal preference, but I don’t think it’s a good idea. Your choice. I’d spread it out a bit if I were you. (and no, it’s not because of my record, I’m just saying :stuck_out_tongue: )