Monsters Inc 2 : Randall's role/thoughts?

Keeping Randall…well…Randall…wouldn’t be too hard.
Being “a really nice guy” is completely out. There’s no way Randall would be all hugs and kisses. If he is, somebody was drinking in the meeting room…partly some of his brashness and tact is what makes him him.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. If he were to redeem himself in the sequel, I’d like it if he retained the harsher aspects of his personality.

Changes happen gradually, not in the span of minutes. Of course there are some aspects of Randall’s personality that won’t probably leave. Like his anger fuse that can crop up…but then again, allot of people have that :laughing:

I don’t care if Randall returns, as long as it doesn’t feel pushed. I love how they try to avoid making things feel too forced, like how they sacrificed Bo for Toy Story’s integrity.

A “Mr. Ray-of-Sunshine” Randall wouldn’t be believable, not to any of his fans. Randall will always have a bit of an “edge” to him, like Nexas said. He will always struggle with his own temper and other issues, and if he’s just a perfect saint then it will feel forced and it will definitely feel as though we-his fans-are being patronized and talked down to. It would be like saying, "OK, here he is all perfect and flawless, feeding the homeless and helping little old ladies across the street and smiling even when people spit on him and call him vile names, because he’s just that perfect…just like you people wanted."
I’ve often brought up comparisons to Lilo and Stitch as to how a believable, emotionally-powerful character arc can be done, without losing the “Bad Boy Edge”. One of the concerns of Stitch’s fans when Disney announced that they were making an animated series based around the movie was that they’d make Stitch into a perfect little Goody-Two-Shoes(or Goody Four Paws, anyway), when so much of Stitch’s appeal was that he WASN’T perfect. He still had issues, he still had a temper, he still had a mischievous streak a mile wide…just like another four-armed, sharp-toothed character I’m quite fond of, and taking that away would be taking away a lot of what made Stitch, well, STITCH. That didn’t mean he had to be mean and violent and nasty all the time, either, but the whole point of his character arc was to show the power of unconditional love over even something designed to be absolute Evil. Another good example of a character who overcame his “destiny” of Evil due to the influence of kindness and love would be Hellboy, but he too, still has that sarcastic, take-no-prisoners edge to him that makes him a far more appealing character than if he were flawless. There is no reason why Pixar can’t do the same with Randall.

pitbulllady

I agree with pitbulllady. Exactly what she said. If you took away Randall’s dark side, then he’s not Randall anymore. Perfectly said.

Yeah PBL. It would be pretty grating to see that. A lot of ‘versions’ of Randall can be thrown around, and it can’t be denied that in fandom he is sometimes taken to both extreme ends of the spectrum. There is the absolutely pure evil and then there is the one where he has no flaws whatsoever.

Neither version really works for me.

Randall for instance, while it could be argued that he was working towards a respectable goal (solving the energy crisis), he was hardly being COMPLETELY altruistic in his motivations all the time. He had his own stake. His own benefits. His own desires. His own self-preservation. It would be silly to think he was simply doing this only 100% for the good of monster kind. It would benefit him too. If Waternoose delivered of course. (Which seems unlikely).

But since no-one else seemed to care about that with regards him at the time, I guess he decided to take care of that himself. Put HIMSELF first. Sure he has his odd moments. (Why did he not let Boo go splat like with his intension towards hated enemies when he dropped the door?) But overall…

He probably needs someone to care about him so he can care about others more. I think Randall could be of the opinion the only person really going to take care of you is yourself at the end of the day and that is one aspect of him I would like to see change on some level.

Waternoose didn’t care about him. Mike wouldn’t have. It seems no-one misses him during the play. Sulley probably could have cared for him before most of the movie events but how things ended has probably make that idea difficult for him to swallow. And I think he just had doubts over Sulley’s reality as a nice guy to begin with. His experience with Waternoose could lay credence to that after all. Waternoose is not really a nice guy. He’s a user. A faker. Someone who maintains a facade of being nice and yet when he turns on someone who looked to him like a father his main concern is the fact he’s a top scarer who he’s lost now. Nothing to do it seems with actually liking Sulley at all. He’s annoyed at exiling Sulley because he was useful. Sulley the great scarer and benefit to the company. Not Sulley ‘the guy I saw like a son’.

Could Randall have thought the same of Sulley? Merely being nice to be popular or to throw of a scent? It’s possible. Especially if he really did something was up with the numbers.

But all the same while I’d like to see Randall begin to care for someone (after he realises people CAN offer assistance without wanting to get something from him).

But he still has to be him. Which yes means not turning him an utter angel.

I mean just because you’re on the ‘right’ side doesn’t mean you’re perfect. I mean geez, for a lot of stories if the hero themselves was perfect there wouldn’t be a story to begin with.

It is VERY plausible that Randall’s “jealousy” towards Sulley was the result of him having learned the hard way that the nice guys are the ones who usually have a scam going, and the ones most likely to stab you in the back when your guard is down. On top of that, as I’ve often mentioned, Sulley represented what Randall wanted and didn’t have, and not just his success as a Scarer, either. He had POPULARITY and respect, he had a family(his sister and mom, while not seen in the movie, ARE mentioned), he had a close friend. To someone who had none of those things, that all would have seemed too good to be true, too surreal to believe, so logically Randall would have distrusted someone like that, at the very least, and eventually come to dislike him intensely. Randall might have suspected that Waternoose was behind Sulley’s unprecedented success, yet been unable to say anything about it. From his perspective, Sulley would have been like the ultimate “teacher’s pet”, and if you don’t dislike “teacher’s pets”, it is largely because you ARE one. Most of us develop some degree of resentment against those who we feel are getting an unfair advantage over the rest of us, let’s face it.

And yes, like MG said, Randall had probably learned over the years that if he didn’t look after Number One, NOBODY else would. That attitude comes naturally to those who have had no one else to turn to. BUT, that doesn’t mean that the capacity for compassion and kindness and love aren’t there. It just takes the right person to find it and bring it out once again. I hope that Pixar has the “stones” to take on this issue with Randall rather than simply discard him or turn him into that one-dimensional cartoon Bad Guy.

pitbulllady

lol :laughing: You are all overthinking this and probably randall will have just a little small cameo in the credits , just like Zurg in ts3 :frowning:

-Blinks-

Where is your basis for that lord_zedd? Zurg wasn’t a major character at all in TS2… like at all unlike Randall. He was simply there it seems to distract that other buzz and to pull a star wars joke. He wasn’t really even a proper full on antagonist, it has to be said. He wasn’t realy even necvessary for the plot. Randall is different in that regard.

If you wanted to make an argument on the basis of past anatagonists and how they’ve been handled in sequels, you could have said that Al and Stinky Pete never showed up in TS3, or that Sid only appeared as a dustbin man for a brief moment in that movie. That would make more sense to state. Of course, that does not mean that Randall will not appear at all just because it happened in Toy Story. Possible, but not for definite.

While it IS possible Randall might not appear, your post about zurg makes little sense at all in context and given their realtive roles in the movies they were in.

I don’t think he meant it as a logical equation, it’s just what he personally thinks will happen.

I won’t really mind if Randall doesn’t appear in the movie. I’d be happy with anything ranging from him not appearing at all, only being mentioned briefly, having a small role in the film to having a large role.

As long as the film works well, I’d be okay with whatever role Randall has.

We’ve never seen Pixar deal with a recurring bad guy, so it could be interesting to see him again. Would he want revenge? Would he go to jail if he did return to Monstropolis? Would he work at the factory?

It’d be kind of cool if he got back into Monstropolis and started his own business (he’d probably have to be secretive about it though) to rival Sulley’s. At the end of the film they could join together.

I’m not sure how much stuff will carry over from the previous film. With Toy Story 3 Pixar seemed to want to avoid making the sequel too dependent on the original films. I mean, even though you’d get more out of the film if you’d seen the first two, somebody who’s never watched them could still enjoy the third. Considering there’s about a decade between Monster’s Inc. movies, they might want to make the film accessible to newcomers. So they might not talk about previous events too much, so characters like Randall might not have a big impact.

I can’t really explain what I mean here :blush: I might try to word it better later.

I dint say randall was like zurg, i say i think HIS CAMEO would be like the one zurg got in ts3.

I dont think randall is gonna be in monsters inc 2, at least not in a mayor role ¿Why? well, pixar doesnt like to repeat , and we already know why randall is “evil”(i dont consider him to be evil, but you get my point)so what would be the point of randall returning?, as you say , pixar dont like recurring villians.

Also , newer pixar villians are not bad guys, something happend to them, randall was just a bad guy, plain and simple, and pixar doesnt like that.

I wasnt triying to make an argument, I just find funny that were gonna be making arguments in this post until the movie comes out and randall probably is gonna have a really small cameo

I guess that makes more sense.

I mean regardless of the fact I feel the whole exile thing was a huge plot hole that could be a huge opportunity to run with in a sequel, the fact is Pixar believes this movie was complete when they made it.

It isn’t really but that’s what they believed at the time, and it’s unlikely that they’ve changed their mind, plus they have no examples of bringing back past anatagonists yet.

Still these are various ideas which would be interesting to go with. But it is indeed possible that Randall doesn’t come back at all. But it’s not for definite.

Waternoose seems the least likely to come back due to the whole voice actor thing, but that’s not impossible.

There’s also the fact there’s no word yet it Steve B. has been called to come in for it. None at all. But it doesn’t mean it’s impossible, nor does it mean he will necessarily truely only ever have a small cameo. Or doesn’t come back at all.

However I do see them playing the first movie again in theatres like they did with regards the other Toy Stories. It IS after all a very large gap.

These are mainly ideas would be interesting it seems now with regards if they do give Randall a major role it seems now but yeah, it’s not that cameo’s are impossible, but the thing is that making the same argument because it happened to ZURG doesn’t make sense GIVEN their different positions even if that wasn’t what you were implying. If you’d made the argument using Stinky Pete and the fact he didn’t return it would have made more sense.

I dint say randall was like Zurg, i say that his cameo will probably be Small like the one zurg got in ts3, blink and youl miss it XD

Maybe once Cars 2 has come out we can get a better idea of how Pixar make sequels. It’s a little hard to judge based solely on the Toy Story sequels. They might choose to re use Chick Hicks in Cars 2 (although Cars didn’t really contain a villain for most of the film, what with Lightning being stranded in Radiator Springs).

Monster’s Inc. probably will get a rerelease- they did it for Toy Story. It might be in 3D, like Disney’s other recent rereleases.

Revenge? Probably. Jail? Interesting, considering Sullivan and Wazowsk deserve it as such himself, and having been illegally banished…well actually that might not matter as the C.D.A. covered up his disappearence anyway, so they could arrest him if they wanted to.
Work at the factory…? Quite possibly. In fact, it can be a good ending for him. Scareing probably isn’t gone completely…but after his experiences, doubt Randall would want to go back to it.

A rival business? Interesting idea…but Randall wouldn’t have the resources to go into a business to rival Monstropolis. (and there’s no way he’d work with Waternoose). Still, that IS an interesting idea. Perhaps he gets into “illegal selling” of human items or something.

I’d like to see Randall returning to work at the factory, if for no other reason that it would help both him AND Sulley put that water under the proverbial bridge, so to speak, and at least be on civil terms with one another. Of course, IF the factory did do away with Scaring altogether, I just can’t see Randall as a comic, not for kids, anyway, since his “dry” sense of humor would go right over most little kids’ head, just as Mike “bombed” with HIS first attempt at making a child laugh. WE find it funny that he’d spent three years in Kindergarten, because it means he basically flunked pre-school, not once, but TWICE, but the kid’s face clearly said, "Dude, you FAILED Kindergarten?? Are you an idiot, or WHAT?" I just cannot see Randall hitting himself in the face with cream pies or belching up microphones or deliberately running into furniture and falling over it just to make some kid laugh. On the other hand, in a factory that size, there would be many, many other positions, many of which would pay far better than either being a Scarer or Comic. With Randall’s skills in mechanics and technology and given the fact that he actually invented, from scratch, a complex piece of new technology, I’m sure that the Research and Development team or the Maintenance crew could use someone like him, and those folks probably make a whole lot more money. If there is ANY justice in the Monster World at all, once it is revealed that Randall was thrown into the Human World illegally, without a trial, and was as a result severely injured, most juries would tend to be very lenient on him. PLUS, he has information that the others do not have, information that could mean the difference between Waternoose going to prison for a long, long time and walking free, so a wise prosecutor/DA would certainly offer Randall a very good deal in exchange for his testimony as a “hostile witness” against the primary defendant, a deal that could include either dropping all charges against him or at least a suspended sentence with parole, especially if it could be proven that Randall’s actions were the result of duress.

THAT, though, could prove interesting with regards to the possible plot: Waternoose is a powerful and rich individual, and the sphere of influence of such individuals does not cease to exist just because they are in prison. HE, of all people, would not be happy to know that Randall Boggs was alive and well, and he has the power to see to it that Randall does not get the chance to tell what he knows. Sulley and Mike, also, would be quite nervous at his return, not so much for anything that Randall might do to them, but of what he might TELL, ditto for the masters of the coverup, Roz and the CDA. When you think about it, there are a lot more monsters who would want Randall gone, permanently, than the other way around.

pitbulllady

“You may sign my paychecks but I DON’T work for YOU”. I have that mind-set myself of how Randall would be at first. If Sullivan does come to terms, he’d probably know Randall would need a job, and would give him one for his qualifications (not to mention as the start of an apology on his part). Of course Randall “wouldn’t take charity”, but grudgingly takes it anyway.
Personally my own idea is that he becomes the head engineer. He’s already brilliant enough to make a revolutionary scream collection machine, and given the complications Laugh Energy could have, he would be quite helpful.
However, this could still be subjective to some people who’d dislike Sullivan’s decision…not to mention other things…“When you think about it, there are a lot more monsters who would want Randall gone, permanently, than the other way around”…that pretty much hits it on the head.

As I’ve said before…there should still be Scarers…given all the effort (education, training, prospects for newbies and the general knowledge of Scareing) that was put into it, it can’t be simply removed.

I always thought there was a connection between Randall and Boo, i mean he was her scarer.

I always thought it would be cool for the sequel if, Randall hated Sully and Mikes guts, and will do anything to get them back for banishing him, but during the movie him and Waternoose uses Boo to do that, and one thing leads to another and Randall ends up getting a huge soft spot for her, and and ends up actually caring about her, and doesn’t want her to get hurt.

And then on the other hand, Waternoose wants to hurt Sully from the inside out, so he comes up with a plan that involved ripping Sully’s heart out by taking Boo out of the picture. Randall doesn’t like that, so he turns on Waternoose and tries to save Boo from him.

And later on ends up helping Sully and Mike, not because he wants a trues, but because he wants to make sure Boo doesn’t get hurt. (he still hates Mike and Sully).

They cant send Boo home because, she would be very unprotected there, so they have to keep her in the monster world with them, so Waternoose cant get her.

And then after all of that, and Waternoose gets arrested again and Boo is safe and sent back home, Randall, even though he still very much dislikes Sully and Mike, forms that truce with them. and in return Sully allows Randall to visit Boo.

You see, i always thought it would be a cool twist, like Randall was Boo’s scarer, now friend. also i thought it would be more realistic if he still hated Mike and Sully, but formed a truce even though he didn’t want to, so he could see Boo when he wanted.

i got this idea from Sharkluvr’s art on DeviantArt.