Monsters Inc. 2 and Brave confirmed for 2012

I said this before on the blog, and I’ll say it again here - I was against the title change to Brave from the beginning. I loved the title of The Bear and the Bow - very original, perfect title for the premise, and also for a fairy tale. Brave is one of the most obscure, bad titles I’ve ever seen for a film - especially a Pixar film. I do not see how Brave fits in any way with the film than the original titling. Unfortunately, there’s nothing I, or anyone here, can do about it.

I just hope they know what they are doing - I hate to say this, especially here, but this is the first time that I have ever seriously doubted the studio with a decision.

I couldn’t agree more, sadly.

Actually TS2, Pixar at least aims to do films that are for all audiences, not just little kids. Though I agree with you, Newt shouldn’t be tossed out, it seemed like a good story.

Also, careful with how you proceed Sgt.

I was against PIXAR makin’ Fairy Tales the day Toy Story came out so the title change really makes no difference to me.

Still, considering how annoying short “Up” is, I would have preferred the longer title.

I urge everyone to vote in a poll I started surrounding the apparent controversy with the title change to Brave:

pixarplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6378

Fortunately for you, I may have said everything I need to in this thread. And yes, I AM trying to keep this discussion said-character-free, which, surprisingly, isn’t as hard as I thought it would be, in this case.

I hope they decide to do a WALL-E sequel then. I’d love to see the new future from humans and robots (I’m thinking it’s something like Futurama).

I’m sorry, but for the love of god, no! WALL•E is another Pixar film that needs no sequel. Again, the purpose of WALL•E was a lonely robot’s adventure to find love (and save humanity along the way). He found love, he saved humanity ,that book should stay closed.

Hey amalyso, on the Brave Wikipedia page, they used your logo! Proof: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thebe … owlogo.PNG This is exciting!

That’s so awesome. There are some differences, like the V and the little hole in the B, but it does look close. I did mine in 5 minutes on Paint!

But they’ve proven to me that they can make movies for all audiences: cases in point, ‘The Incredibles,’ ‘WALL-E,’ ‘Ratatouille’ and ‘Up.’ At least to me, Cars 2 and Monsters, Inc. 2 feel like steps backward.

I’ve honestly got no issue with Bear and the Bow’s new title. People complaining about it are rather closed minded. I think Tangled is cringeworthy but I realize the whole film (except it’s horrible current marketing) isn’t changing, and neither will Brave. The title fits with the theme from what I’ve heard.

As for Newt, I honestly don’t care, I think there is a good reason it was canceled if it indeed was. There doesn’t seem much story to tell. The most exciting thing I can think of is they get out of the cage and have to get back, which happened in Toy Story. Those of you who are saying you wanted to see Pixar handle more adult story lines need to remember we aren’t Pixar’s only audience. I don’t see that film being anything kids are interested in at all without it being a retread of things that have been done before by Pixar and everywhere else.

I’d also like to bring up the Ratatouille defense. Perhaps Ratatouille started around the time between Monster’s Inc and Nemo’s release, 2002 (with a 4-5 year developement period, this sounds about right) and Pixar wasn’t in the habit of announcing films so early because they didn’t have quite the fanbase Nemo and subsequent films put them into. What’s to say that Ratatouille wasn’t temporarily off the schedule until Brad Bird took over? Maybe that’s what will happen with Newt, not with Brad Bird, but a similar situation. The only difference is is nothing about Ratatouille was announced. I think something very similar happened there. I wouldn’t be surprised if Newt isn’t resurrected in time for Spring 2012 if they get everything together, but I don’t think it’s outright canceled.

Another point is that Pixar is getting a new studio. More developement is on the way. I think this will alleviate a lot of sequelitis, as I have said before, because they’ll be able to create shorts with older movies and even merchandise them, I can see DVDs, new characters, advertising the releases with new Disney-Pixar films, theres a market and they don’t have to spit on the originals in order to get marketing and revisiting the characters and worlds out of there systems. And there will be more features made, I honestly don’t think we’re going to be lacking for originals, Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird are busy but I’m sure they’ll be back to work soon, though Brad’s next Pixar film may be the only sequel we all seem to approve of.

Pete Docter is doing his own thing while Monster’s 2 is getting made it seems (though I imagine if he’s not infact the director he’ll be a writer and executive producer) so he’ll have some more, plus a whole slew of employees who are ready to direct, and I know the man is busy, but we haven’t had a John Lassitter directed film in a while, he could have a new Pixar film in the works. Don’t immediately assume it’s sequels from here on in. Have faith.

And finally Monsters In 2, I really liked the idea mentioned earlier of Sulley just not liking his job and kind of being stuck in the past while Mike has commitment issues and is moving forward in his own way with Celia, possibly leaving Sulley behind. This theme could be further cemented with an older Boo who’s ready to leave Sulley behind and get to her own life. I agree that Monsters Inc ended PERFECTLY but part of the reason it’s so great is because it’s open. There is plenty of room to go from there.

And as for Randall, I firmly do not believe he is dead. The end of his storyline just screams “not finished” because there is no guarantee. Just hitting him in the head with a frying pan in a trailer doesn’t mean he was killed and couldn’t find a door back to the factory. He can come back. However, I see him coming back and being an ally for whatever the new situation is and becoming a friend to Mike and Sully, his plot line being redemption. I also see Waternoose and Roz having plotlines throughout, Roz getting a similar amount of screentime and importance in MI2 as the first and Waternoose either escaping or they go to him in prison or wherever to seek help.

All in all, I see a mature, pixar plot there.One that doesn’t alienate children. I’m not counting Monsters Inc 2 out. If there are more good sequels in the world, then we’ll all be a little better off. There is nothing better than a great sequel. Revisiting the world and the characters and it being an enjoyable experience. It’s rare to capture what made the original great, but Pixar has proven it gets it and I’m sure on 6/18 they’ll prove it again. Heck, I’m sure even if Cars 2 is the worst Pixar movie it’ll still be a good film in its own right, I enjoyed Cars myself though and have never understood the complaining, and I am definitely not a NASCAR fan. Keep the faith, I am.

I agree with Ncuday that the new title for Bear and the Bow isn’t too much of a bother. It’s sorta a “one-word-one-hit-wonder”. Take Up for instance chuckles, but in this instance it’s an emotion.

One lacker about Newt is that it might be similiar to how Wall-e was done. Though personally I still like it if Newt came to fruition.

waves hand That would be mine Ncuday. I’ve been following up on a bunch of information, and have accumulated some good and perfect ideas for how a sequel would be.
For Boo…I would want her older of course, she needs to be. AND…her relationship with Sullivan needs to be re-evaluated. Imagine if Sullivan put her PARENTS through the same thing again where she was gone for a whole day. But aside from that, what about their effect on her? Perhaps she DOES NOT make any “human” friends because she has “kitty”. Sullivan’s NOT a bad guy at heart, but his influence isn’t all good for her. And because of being CEO, Sullivan feels to rely on HER allot more than he should.

nods Randall is, of course, not dead Ncuday. If he is it would make Sullivan and Wazowski murderers, which nobody wants, including myself.
Actually it was a umm…shovel Ncuday.

I doubt Randall would be all goodness, especially at the start. I mean depending on the time…well on many things he might at first aim TO get revenge, but soon something else crops up that just sort of blocks it. I mean he might come into an Anti-Hero role.
Waternoose, if alive, would most likely get off scott-free from any trial he’d get…so who knows what he might do.
As for Roz…surprisingly there IS something there.

Dude, Nexas. If they are bringing back Randall, I’m begging PIXAR to reposition his role as an anti-hero. He was a pretty villain but as we all know from previous Disney sequels, he will make an even more badass hero. You already kind of empathized with him in the first MI, so it’d be great for him to make a heroic comeback.

Uhh…yeah…I uh think.

Well in basics, Ran’s not going to be “oh I love you guys so I’m gonna help ya” and what not, more like “don’t get in my, I’M going to handle THIS”. So he’s not going to be worried about getting his hands, all four, too dirty in the matter. I mean it’s going to be rough handling him at the start, but he eases up a little with the situations that are presented.

Yeah, Nexas, Anti-hero is exactly what I had in mind. Coming in as an ally out of the gate doesn’t mean he’s all that good. They could even go the Terminator 2 route and show Randall getting back to monstropolis gloriously (in another epic door hangar sequence) and when the new issue and villain crops up, it could lead the audience to suspect Randall is the one behind it.

Maybe even a callback to the first where they have a picture in the newpaper with the new villain and Randall is in the corner looking suspicious, like how Randall learned of Mike’s involvement in Boo’s escape. This could be a great thing to play around with, but admitedly not too much.

And another aspect I like is Randall and Sully were the top dogs of Monsters Inc, what if Sully misses the glory and sucks horrendously at getting laughter. Maybe that’ll get Sully missing the good ole’ days as a scarer. Sure, he still gets attention as CEO, but maybe he misses being out there and doing something exciting other than being stuck behind a desk with mountains of paperwork and attention to give. He and Randall could bond becuase they were natural scarers, and probably would have trouble adapting to the new way of life. Obviously depending on how long Randall’s been back he won’t be as affected, but it could stir up some nostalgia in Sully for the rivalry, especially potent if he has to decide if they should go back to the old ways, which could come into play if laughter ends up having an unexpected side effect.

nods Now THAT would be a good thing. To have RANDALL be pointed with the finger, where in actuality it was someone else. chuckles

Actually Ncuday…recall that nobody but Wazowski, Sullivan, and supposedly Roz know what happened to Randall. Roz probably knew and covered it up (anybody see the C.D.A. at the Company Play? They had no normal reason to be there, they are only for decontamination supposedly and even if they are police-esque at this time, this was a company play, less thought that a fight or such would occur). An interesting aspect would be somebody wondering what happened to Monsters Inc. Former Top-then-former-second Scarer.

Well being CEO, he’s not going to be going on the floor as an employee. And since he started the whole laughter thing, he’s stuck. But…my guess is that scareing, like for Randall, just came naturally to him. He KNEW how to do his job, he LIKED doing it but being CEO…shakes head

Actually Randall and Sullivan, and Wazowski, have know one another for longer than the film…

Now I know he wouldn’t be a constant around the clock laugher or whatever, but I’m thinking to go along with him not being happy as the CEO he begins to miss the good old days and one day decides to give it a shot, and sucks royally in what could be a hilarious scene.

The only problem I’m seeing with disatisfaction with his current life is it’s a bit too close to Bob Parr in the Incredibles, but with the aspect that he’s slowly becoming like Waternoose.

I think I’ve come up with a side effect for the laughter that I like and it ties in with my last point, taking and using the laughter effects the human world more. This is bringing the story into a much more fantasy style, but it already is. Anyway, it’s draining the human world and making things sad a bleak. Boo would draw Sully’s attention to this, connecting her to the plot and having it effect Sully directly.

This could be the reason Laughter is so much more powerful than scream, taking scream takes bad things away and is positive when taken, taking laughter away draws out happy feelings and takes them. I think it could follow through on the environmental message of the first (energy crisis) and show it’s harmful effects of taking a stronger source of energy. Scream of course has the downside for the Monsters, less powerful and more difficult to obtain.

Anyway, having to choose between Monsters Inc and Boo’s world could be the dilemma that has him acting like Waternoose. Laughter’s for the good of the company, afterall! Maybe even Waternoose knew this and knew the harmful effect it would have. He seems to have known children weren’t really toxic. I’d say the CDA knew, but they probably would have stopped it immediately. I bet the Waternoose’s did some big experimenting before founding Monsters Inc, or Henry Waternoose did himself along the way to inventing the scream extractor.

nods Yeah I suppose that might be an interesting idea. Perhaps Wazowski gives him one of his doors to try out…though he does suck and Wazowski gets a little annoyed that his plan sorta backfired.

That is a little more fantasy…unsure if they’d do it since the world is kinda like ours. But essentially that IS an interesting idea. We don’t know how Scream collector works at it’s core, so who knows what occurs now.
Though laughter can actually be MORE DANGEROUS to obtain. I mean you got the monster making a kid LAUGH. If the parents suddenly come in, BAM! discovered.

Consider this: you’re trying to get kids to go see a movie. They go, ‘what’s it called?’ You say, ‘BRAVE.’ They say, ‘If this is a fairy tale, where’s the princess or animal in the title?’

Regardless of what the movie will be called, Newt will rest forever in the animation graveyard, right next to Invader ZIM.

:imp:

Not necessarily. I think that Newt will go the way of Ratatouille and might take a bit longer than originally planned and change directors but once they get everything worked out, I’m sure we’ll see it.

I honestly don’t think Pixar is doing this just to say “Hmm, needs more sequels”, if Newt is delayed or canceled, I’m sure they have there reasons.