Megamind

I know it sounds petty, and I tried to ignore it when someone else on here mentioned it, but the more I look at Megamind’s facial expression, the more I hate him. Did Dreamworks not see that little comic thing that makes fun of the fact that every single leading character of theirs has that exact same expression on their faces at some point? It’s slightly unnerving. :laughing:

Yeah, they’re slow like that. And believe me, I know slow. :laughing:

I know, that cheeky, snarky, ‘wise-*ss’ look, right? It makes the characters look a little arrogant, and I understand how you can be put off by it.

And then you compare it to Pixar’s posters, where most of the characters will be smiling (or looking scared, in the case of Up and Toy Story 3), and you see the difference in the studio’s attitudes. One exudes genuine, honest, warmth, and the other sneers at the viewer in a contemptuous, mocking fashion.

Oh, and notice with the exception of Toy Story 3, Cars and Ratatouille, Pixar doesn’t employ puns in their posters? They let the images speak for themselves. :slight_smile:

This seems like it could be cute. I totally get how it is the “inverse” of The Incredibles. I like the idea of acheiving your life ambiton, and then regreting you did.

But I agree - three movies in one year… whaaa? Way to pack it in.

The trailer wasn’t all that enticing either. I might see it though.

Now with the trailer out, and everything, this movie looks worse than I initally thought it would be. It is terrible attempt to make a parody of Super Man, and have an all-star cast. Also, the plot is like most Dreamwork’s movies. Two people are fighting over how cool they are.

It looks like a movie that will be fun to see, but not memorable. I’ll probably end up seeing it, not in theaters though.

SO true!

Hmm… I don’t know. Doesn’t really excite me, but then again, it comes out in November; it’s a little too early for me to judge. There were a few things in the new trailer that made me laugh, though.

Uh, what? I have never seen a DWA movie with that plot, and I’ve seen a good chunk of them. Please, give me a list of these movies with said plot.

Anyway, I was indifferent to the teaser, but the trailer made me a little bit interested. Brad Pitt doesn’t seem to be that into the role, which is a shame, since he’s proven that he can do well as a voice actor in that one episode of King of the Hill where he plays Boomhauer’s brother.

I like the fish-bowl sidekick though.

List of Dreamworks Movies with that plot:
MegaMind
Monsters Vs. Aliens
Madagascar
Shark Tale
Over the Hedge
Shrek 2 and 3
Kung Fu Panda

Watch them again and think about it. :wink:

I really only see one, and that’s Megamind, Tigress,Po, and the Snow Lepard guy who’s name escapes me in KFP, and maybe Missing Link and whats her face’s relationship for a while in MVA.

I don’t really see any kind of rivalry going on in Madagascar, Shrek 2/3. Cannot say anything about Shark Tale or Over the Hedge. I really just think that you’re over simplifying things.

The same date as The Incredibles… :imp: :imp: Yeah, I’m mad now…someone needs to replace the producers. Why November 5th??? WHY!!!

You know? Perhaps they’re doing it as a tribute.

But then this is Dreamworks what we’re talking about… :confused:

It’s probably just a (vaguely) interesting coincidence with the dates.

And it’s not like its that big a deal to begin with anyway. Why should anyone make a big deal about that?

I actually don’t see it as half bad myself though guess I’m in the minority, I like the female lead in this the best though. She interests me because she’s not a super but is calm (except when she’s falling I guess…). Which makes her more cool then someone with powers.

I AM going to see it, and while it will probably be far from HTTYD and probably won’t be as good as KFP, it will be almost probably be MUCH better than Bee movie or Shrek 3 as I’ve already said.

If they take a pot at the Incredibles I’d more giggle than be insulted. (Incredibles isn’t that original anyway folks though so if its vague enough and just about supers, it could be at superman which it seems to be mainly so I’m going to be skeptical if people say ‘OMG-IT-TOOKA-RIP-AT-INCREDIBLES’ even after seeing it until I see it myself). Though perhaps the date would have sway in this argument. But meh, bit vague don’t you think? Besides as rivals, some poking might not be half bad. Here’s a random theory: DW is represented as megamind. Metroman is Pixar. Eh eh? Oh never mind… LOL.

Just saying.

Plus I believe the plot line (about a villian and hero having to switch roles in some capacity) sounds interesting too. DW has a habit of trailers which sometimes don’t do it complete justice in any case.

It’s probably a coincidence…

As I mentioned in the Alpha and Omega thread, Brad Bird was asked often if he had watched Watchmen while making The Incredibles. He claims he didn’t, but there are some uncanny similarities between both plots…

I will reiterate, it’s hard to be original nowadays, so to knock on Megamind for copying Despicable Me or Kick-*ss or whatever doesn’t count. Although, it would probably make for some fun trailer mash-ups… :wink:

Again, good idea for a mash-up!

And she’s an investigative journalist! They’re like the heroes of the real world! Anyway, Tina Fey’s character is just your average ordinary civilian who happens to be an unimpressed damsel-not-in-distress. :smiley: Was anyone reminded of Date Night when they showed that shot of her freefalling in that LBD number?

I’m very intrigued about Megamind, TBH. Not Rio or Toy Story 3-levels excited, but I’ll definitely be looking forward to this along with Prince Capsian come year end.

I wonder who’s Megamind’s fish-headed sidekick? Maybe he’ll be another great silent character along the lines of Wall-E or Toothless…

If you reduce every movie’s plot to a single line like that, you’d have to come to the conclusion there have never ever been any original movies at all.

By the way, I don’t really think that’s what the movie’s going to be all about… 2 weird dudes in lame costumes fighting over how cool they are. Honestly, that would be a step back in the wrong direction, even for an average Dreamworks feature.

The blue guy with the big head reminds me of the badguy alien dude in Monsters Vs. Aliens.

Second trailer looks a lot more promising, plus it isn’t giving as much of the plot away compared to other Dreamworks trailers.

You need to relax a little on the Incredibles ripoff accusations when this seems to be a more general superhero pastiche.

Yes, the Incredibles isn’t very original either, but we all seem to forgive Pixar for that. :wink: