Geri's Game

This is my absolute favorite short film ever made (though Night and Day might win me over). It is just so smart and witty, and I have a stange passion for old men in movies.

The pairing with A Bug’s Life is awsome though. I remember watching the two together when I was very little.

Actually, in the fith grade I did my research project on animation. In my presentation of the project, I presented Geri’s Game to the class. At that time I didn’t know it was my favorite short ever, but I remembered thouroughly enjoying it, and so I chose it to show to the class. I had to fast forward through the ABL vhs the night before so that it was perfectly cued up! The class also really liked it. Twas wonderful.

This is my favorite short. I actually thought about filming myself reenacting the short. Geri’s and Geri’s facial expressions are hilarious.

I love this short. I found it very funny and amusing when I first saw it on my old A Bug’s Life tape. The way Geri fakes his heart attack never gets old. :slight_smile:

This short might be a reason why I joined chess club in elementery school!

Geri’s game is cool,Very funny :laughing: 8D

I love Geri’s Game! I remember watching it constantly when I was about eight or so, being a budding Chess player it really fascinated me. I haven’t watched it in years though, guess I will have to hunt out my A Bug’s Life VHS!

I remember this on my A Bug’s Life VHS and, I’ll be honest, he used to terrify me! It was 4 minutes of “please let this be over, it’s so creepy” at the cinema, and I went to see ABL twice so it was double the terror.

Now though, as an adult, I realise how brilliant it actually is, and I cracked up when I saw it again. Stellar animation for it’s time, me thinks.

When I first saw Geri’s Game i was very young, I remember that I couldn’t belive how good the movie was, that’s when I start falling in love with Pixar :smiley:

What a great film to claim as your entry into the fandom.

Welcome to the boards, and Happy Posting!

Geri’s Game is such as classic. It’s the first Pixar film short I’ve ever seen. The only thing is, I don’t seem to have a good reason as to why I like it other than Geri just seems like such a fun character. In recent years, I’ve been wondering what the moral of the story is exactly. Is it just showing how even at an old age, you can be a wise, fun-loving person full of spirit? Is it just demonstrating the creativity in the way his mind thinks? I still love it either way, and his appearance in Toy Story 2 was hysterical!

I haven’t seen this short in a while, but I’m trying to remember if there was a moral, or if they just wanted to do a really fun video about an elderly man. I’ll need to give it a re-watch!

^True. They may have just wanted to tell a cute little story just for the fun of it. Nothing’s ever wrong with that either.

I wonder if Bob Peterson knew that this would be the first in a long line of great character voices he would do…

I didn’t know that Bob Peterson voiced Geri!

Yes, Bob Peterson voices Geri in the actual short “Geri’s Game”. However, he is voiced by Jonathan Harris (as "The Cleaner) in Toy Story 2 who also voiced Manny from A Bug’s Life and is actually the real-life person who Geri is modeled after.

Thank you for that tidbit! I know a great deal of Pixar trivia, so it’s great to hear some new ones!

Oh, you’re welcome! Once I found he played Geri, I thought “Oh, I guess I can hear the resemblance!”. Also, sorry if I sounded all uptight about how I said that, I really wasn’t trying to be. I just re-read what I wrote and thought I maybe should have said “Yup” or just said it more casually. I like facts, but there are many I don’t even know, so sorry if I sounded like I was trying to be a know-it-all. I just got excited.

No worries! You didn’t sound like a know-it-all. I am one of those people who love facts, I say them quite often myself!

Oh, okay. Thanks, E-J-E :slight_smile: . Like I said, I think this short is a classic, and I think it was many people’s first Pixar short.

I like how he plays chess against himself–and ironically, I can’t even learn how to play chess myself!

Yeah, it’s a hard game to learn, IMO. Geri must have spent a lot of his life playing it!