For kids?

It’s so funny when I go to a forum like IMDB’s and I read a parent writing something along the lines of “Toy Story 3 was scary. My little children will be traumatized for life. SHAME ON YOU PIXAR”.

Shame on you? That’s cinematographic ignorance, my friends.

Excellent examples there TDIT. I found Grave of the Fireflies to be particularily moving. I know one film, Persepolis, that is full of adult themes, and is inappropiate for children, but because it’s animated, people dismiss it as a “children’s film”. Animation is a medium, not a genre. I think we’re starting to break out of that stereotype now, thankfully.

Good 'un! These are the same bozos who say GTA causes kids to be violent and South Park shouldn’t be shown on TV. Hello? Ever heard the phrase “parental supervision”?

Yeah, I agree with Evil_Genius_27, Persepolis is like the perfect companion to Waltz With Bashir on a kid’s view of the Gulf War (although they are also different in style and plot, just similar thematically and would make a great double-feature).

I should watch Felidae and Plague Dogs (Wasn’t Plague Dogs also written by Richard Adams?).

Besides, they should focus on the values left by the movie (because there are plenty) instead of criticize it because their kids felt sadness.

I also feel upset when people say Pixar films are ‘kid’s movies’. Thankfully, someone who told me this ended up going to take her cousin to see Up. She cried 4 times. Pixar films are movies anybody can enjoy.

What hurts me the most is that some people thinks Dreamworks films are more adult oriented because they include dirty jokes. Ignorance!

Yeah, I agree Spirit of Adventure, that’s irritating. So many people have this set idea of what makes a film ‘adult’, but it’s not always the right idea!

I really like what Lee Unkrich says in this interview about how the films that Pixar makes are for EVERYONE, and not just kids.

Couldn’t agree with him more!

They are so clear about everything. That’s why they are the best studios ever.

Ah, the animation age ghetto. How I despite thee.

I dislike live-action and most modern ‘real’ movies. Why? Because even if it says it’s suitable for audiences older than 12, it contains swearing and exposed body parts. Most of it, anyway. I cringe whenever one swears in a movie, or when there’s pointless violence. Animation does not have stuff like that. They never swear. And when there is questionable content, it is done tastefully. And that’s why I love it, it’s so sweet and innocent, most of it, so I won’t cringe about stuff.

People generally dismiss animation as kids’ stuff because there is no violence or swearing in it. I frown upon those people.

So in short, Family friendly =/= childish.

Is it sad that I’m the only one in my whole freaking school who likes animation? All others prefer watching dumb things with swearing and violence and…
and if we watch an animation they keep making dumb comments about it.
Man I wish I was still in kindergarten, we watched cool animated movies every day D:

Badger, I agree. I like animation better, personally. More creativity involved.

I don’t care about any inappropriate content in any movie, as long as it’s necessary to the movie and somewhat tasteful (see: Mary & Max). But most movies throw it in for no reason.

Yes. It didn’t bother me in Cars or The Incredibles, but in, say, Shrek, :imp: no comment…

I’m getting increasingly annoyed by movies being provocative ‘just because they can’. Of course, it’s not like they didn’t have violent or vulgar movies back in the 80s or 90s, but access to content is so much easier now that prepubescent kids who think they’re old enough can get their hands on illegal episodes of Adult Swim shows or other adult material. Kids today grow up too fast; you only have to compare the content of ‘kids’ shows from the 90s to this decade to see the difference. More double-entendres, stylized violence and high-school scenarios instead of witty jokes, grand adventure, and fantasy settings.

And of course, there’s live-action films like Transformers, Friedberg and Seltzer spoofs and S*x and the City who think they’re for grown-ups but are really more suitable for five-year olds.

I like the first Transformers, but those other two really are ridiculous. They’re for grown adults with unlimited time to burn…

Pixar movies are definitely not just for kids. :laughing:

I know!! How is a man losing his wife and getting over it childish? I can’t stand people…

On my FM radio, the DJ said TS is "pretty cute for a " Disney cartoon"

There are very serious situations in Pixar movies and to say that they’re just for kids is ridiculous. :imp:

Agreed. And one point I notice is tht it’s usually stupid “grown-up” teens who say that. [spoil]Wow.[/spoil] :unamused:

I would classify as movies for adults and kids but you have to understand animated movies are driven towards kids. Kids love cartoons and the kids that really love cartoons turn into adults that love cartoons. That’s just how I see it.