Employment status

Your lucky you have a job.

Yeah, I know. I’m happy to have one, I just wish I got hours more often.

I been trying to find a job for a long time. So far I have only gotten summer jobs.

Yeah, this is the first job that I have that isn’t just a summer job.

My job started off as a summer job. But because fall is a very busy time in the wine industry, I’ll be working threw October, as far as I know.

Well that’s great then!

Wow, talk about how timely this topic is! :smiley: I’ve actually attended my Masters graduation on Monday, and I’m now actively job-hunting… firing off resumes every which way and I’ve already been to two interviews (both unfortunately, unsuccessful).

My first job would technically be a stint at KFC Darling Harbour. Sadly, it only lasted one day - I got so turned off by the kitchen orientation tour and the huge food safety manual I had to learn that I called the manager the next day and told him I wasn’t gonna attend the training camp. 8D

My first proper job was working for the Student Equity and Disabilities Unit at my uni. It is sort of a department that provides assistance to disabled students - I was a student note-taker for someone in my Media Law course. Simple gig - I just had to attend my two-hours-a-week lecture, type out my class notes in a Word document, and send it out to my coordinator within two days of the lecture. Easy money - 25AUD an hour and the great feeling of doing a service for a less-fortunate student (for confidentiality reasons, the name of the student I was helping was not disclosed, although I suspect it was a girl with cerebral palsy in the same tutorial as I was).

I hope to get a job in the media industry - either as an entertainment reporter or commentator, or working on scriptwriting or animation in a film production company, hopefully animated. :slight_smile:

Wow, thedriveintheatre, that is great! I hope you get a good job fast!

My best summer job was Kohl’s but an annoying thing was I didn’t get my paycheck till they end.

My first formal employment was in April. Before that, I mainly did a few babysitting jobs here and there. I was hired at the local hospital and worked in Materials Management. We stocked shelves and basically supplied the hospital. It was an extremely interesting job, to say the least. Sometimes it was a bit nerve-wracking and often times unenjoyable (working in the ER. That’s all I need to say).

I got done the first week of August, due to moving. When I was working, I decided after a while that I kind of hated it. That was mainly due to the fact that sometimes I had to work with one certain person that was beyond frustrating.

Though last night, I told my mom, “You know… I kind of miss working at the hospital.” And it’s true. Often times I recall the routine, and stocking the shelves, and the areas I became familiar with, and I do miss it a little. There was somewhat of a security in the knowledge that I had a job. It wasn’t a steady one, by any means. I was casual part time (per diem) so I only came when they needed me, but I got paid. Now I don’t get paid anymore and once my money is gone, it’s gone. xDDD

little chef

Yep, thanks!

I can see you doing that, you’d be great at it. Especially as a commentator.

Today, my parents and their friends came into my work, for some wine tasting. I made them an awesome cheese plate & tower, just for them!

I hope you get that job TDIT. You would be very good at something like that.

Thanks EJE, TSS, and Violet Nirvana! Your wishes must have worked, cos’ I got hired at an advertising magazine company! :slight_smile:

I hope you find another job soon, little_chef. I remember reading your dA journals and Twitters where you were so excited earning money and debating what to buy (Pony and Dragon-related toys, etc.)

I wrote about my latest employment at length in the ‘Intro’ thread, but basically, I got hired at a coupon magazine company designing ads for clients and cover and inner spread spoofing various movies. It’s a great first-full-time-job that plays to my strengths; I get to design the ads based on my experience in Photoshop and InDesign making the forum signatures I wear, and write the plot synopses in the contents page like I do with my Youtube mash-up descriptions!

The people there are real friendly too, and I’ve got two of my friends from uni working there as well if I need help. All in all, it’s been good so far, and I’ve already had two paychecks with the next one coming in next Friday! I’ve even managed to have my pitch for a Hawaii-Five-0 theme (which I renamed Hawaii-Save-0’) approved for a future issue! :slight_smile:

The only bummer is that I’m working as a sole trader on contract, so I’m technically not an employee of the company, so I don’t enjoy benefits like overtime pay or holiday leave. But I guess this is pretty good for now. I’ll have less free time in the coming months though, as we usually do 2 every fortnight, but this time of year’s pretty busy as all the districts are clusterring together for Christmas.

Anyway, I’d like to share with you all a super-special issue I found in the archive drawers. Here it is, along with the issues I’ve worked on since the start of my employment. :mrgreen:

We usually recycle previous themes for different districts, so this is just one of many versions of the Incredibles theme! I’ll see if I can find the other districts’ issues so I can share with y’all the other variants.

Darn, how I wish I worked on that theme! Maybe I’ll pitch another Pixar movie in the future. :wink:

This job sounds perfect for you TDIT. How lucky you are to find such a job right after graduation. It sounds like a friendly work environment.

Thanks EJE! Yeah, I’m really lucky, though these past few weeks (and the next few ones) will be extra-hectic cos’ we got a lot of issues bunching up before Christmas. :shake: But everyone’s very supportive; the boss even treats us to lunch every now and then and gives us beer and chips when we stay back to finish by the print deadline (I stayed back till 10 yesterday, and midnight today, for example!) But yeah, I get along with everyone and the pay’s decent for a starting graduate!

It’s great that you work at a winery. What do you do as a barback? I remember skimming through the forums and catching a few of your posts about sampling the wines. Any recommendations? I usually like clean sweet ones, I don’t like the sour or tarty kinds.

Oh great, that last sentence sounds like I’m describing my ideal date partner.

Haha, sounds like an awesome boss!

Yes, I do enjoy working at the winery. As a barback I mostly stock the wines and clean glasses. Also other small chores to make things easier for the TR associates. I also make cheese plates for guests in our reserve tasting rooms.

I am no expert on wine! Clean Sweet wines? Do you mean a dessert wine?

I’m going to apply for Pizza Hut, Petco, and a place called Replay. Myabe I get lucky and one will call me.

I got a call for a second job! As a babysitter for two small kids, ages 6 and 4. I need extra money, so I don’t mind going from my job at the winery straight to the kids. Plus the babysitting job pays more than my actual job.

Yay! Good luck with that, EJE! :smiley:

I’m hoping to be able to go and apply for a job tomorrow. I’ll be trying at Buy For Less and Barnes And Noble. :sunglasses:

Thanks Snipe!

And good luck Pixarfan and Snipe in your job searches!