Did Sulley and Mike do the right thing to Randall?

I think the thing is Ev (why does no-one read my posts? I know they’re long but… gah), is how it reflects on the protaganists temselves. Revenge is revenge in the end. Whether or not the action is felt to be ‘deserved’ regarding the person… it’s about the person who carries it out really.

Plus Randall did get hit by a shovel.

Plus there were other options. They could have got him out of the way in a different way.

Anyone got any rope?

It wasn’t really defense in the end.

IVG: I don’t think you’re disregarded as ‘trash’ IGV, but PBL can be harsh in her arguments, but it’s often to make a point. She kind of states ‘harsh truths’ and she doesn’t wrap them up with cotton wool. That’s just her style in my opinion and something which kind of needs to be accepted on some level when talking to her I feel.

Personally I have had times when I get angry on the internet myself (…who hasn’t?), but for the most part I have my own style of arguing which is different. I just wouldn’t take it to heart, but more or less later perhaps think about what she said. She can be right, sometimes she can be wrong like everyone, sure her approach may be different as to how people are always used to or comfortable with.

Of course another problem in these forums is the thing that we all forget sometimes what age people are as we discuss (after all we don’t see faces etc. and while I knew you were ypunger than me I didn’t know you were that young.). It’s easy to forget in a forum sometimes in any case as you get involved in discussion.

My father is a cop. If someone tries to kill you, you have the right to defend yourself. Plain and simple. He didn’t even die. Personally, i’d throw him over the edge in a door too.

That’s my opinion. That’s all I’m gonna say here. I’m not going to read other arguments. I’m just going to answer the first post and be on my way. If you don’t agree well, no skin off my nose.

… But it wasn’t defense. There could have been other options. It was overkill at best to the problem they had regarding what to do with Randall.

But yes I do see the action as understandably tempting, and I would be seriously tempted in my opinion to do the same thing.

I see your points, MG. Your points even make a lot more sense now, but if I wanted to argue with people more than twice my age I’d argue with my dad, because at least he considers my feelings when he hasn’t had alcohol.

Back on topic, I liked how they handled it. If I were a cartoon character dealing with Randall, I’d drop an anvil on his head. I thought they were very gentle with him seeing as who he was.

Was it ever conferned he lived? We last see him get hit with a pan and thats it. The books are usally non canon so do we know for sure he’s alive.

I admit I shouldn’t have used that as an argument. He didn’t necessarily live, but someone so hostile wouldn’t make a good civilian in my eyes.

I hope he lived, He did desurve to ger punished byt not by getting killed.

coughs I’ve already said in that thread that Wazowski’s act of rebuilding the door was indeed honorable.
Now…let me do the same courtesy to Randall in all fairness.

He gave them a way out.

It’s fact, just like Wazowski’s rebuilding of the door, that Randall gave Sullivan and Wazowski the chance to “walk away and not look back”, in effect, getting them out of the mess without letting Waternoose know. Wazowski himself took the chance actually. No “evil” would give anybody a way out without strings attatched to them.

I find it interesting how you say Randall survived…of course, he did seeing as how if he didn’t…
Well anyways, still find it interesting.

rubs temple and sighs Ironclad indeed…
Personally I don’t disregard facts. I’ve been the medium for the three of them (Sullivan, Wazowski, Randall).

Actually Waternoose is more levery to making that decision…
“Because of YOU, “I” had to banish my Top Scarer”. So despite it being Randall’s mistake (though in actuality it was Sullivan’s, unknowingly for him), it was Waternoose who chose the route and decided on it. Randall himself didn’t intend to hurt anybody at first.
I will admit he seemed happy…then again…when he’s tending to Boo, he seems less ethusiastic about the development, despite his words.

Out to kill them…when things went wrong. “James P. Sullivan will be working for me”. A dead man can’t work for you can he…

rubs temple Some people he’s a plague…for pete’s sake he’s a person…
As for “Boo”, being safe…Pitbulllady would bring something up about that. If one thought Randall would go after Boo (which he wouldn’t, if someone want’s to listen why, just ask), placing him in the human world, where she’d live, wouldn’t be a good idea.
Of course Sullivan wasn’t thinking straight. He was fueled in his “fatherly-like state” to protect Boo, which rid him of his senses.

An act of killing in defense, I would define, would be during the action. Struggling with a knife, and accidently stabbing the attacker.
HOWEVER…this doesn’t apply for Randall. Sullivan had him restrained. And…TIME HAD PASSED as well, where Randall did not do any further action.

Why? For one, they had to wait to get to a platform. And, suggestive as it may be, for Wazowski to pick a door (or he just picked one out of the blue, which is much more believeable I think).
ALSO…anybody notice that Sullivan changed hands? When he restrained Randall, his neck was in his left hand, tail in the right. When aiming to toss him through the door, neck in his right, tail in his left.
In all that time, Randall did NOTHING. In all that time they COULD have thought of something else. I’m sorry, but that’s…that’s what happened.

Actually Pixarfan it was a shovel…at least that’s what the woman told her son to get.
But you can rest assure he is alive. Afterall, Sullivan and Wazowski would be murderers, and nobody, including me, wants that.

Again, I shouldn’t have said he was alive(I already apoligized for using that). Either way, I see your points. I just think he deserved it.

Well he most likely is shrugs
rubs temple Heh heh…wow…your as undetered as Pitbulllady heh.

Sorry. I’m not trying to argue or seem like I’m not considering your opinions, I just don’t…feel for Randall, you know?

shrugs I suppose I can understand that.
taps foot The ability to See isn’t in everybody…pity really…the world be a little bit better. shrugs Dah well heh.

Honestly I like Randall better than I did before I joined, so maybe I am…broadening my views. I don’t hate him, or even dislike him, I just can’t see past his behavior.

nods That’s alright. It just takes consideration and time.

Don’t have to love him or like him…just…understand that despite their appearences, monsters are still people.
Toys, insects, cars…a little different.
But the point is, monsters are people. Sullivan’s a person, so is Wazowski, and so is Randall. Like everybody, he can get ticked off. We see that in Wazowski when he sees Sullivan careing more about Boo than about them being in the Himilayas. We see it in Sullivan when he tosses Randall out. And…we do see allot of it in Randall.
The thing is, we just see that “part” of Randall. Like everyone, he’s lived a life. And to be employed at all, he wouldn’t have been the same throughout. We see a glimpse.

I guess that makes a lot of sense. :open_mouth: I never considered that. Now he seems less Satan, and more just bully. Mean because of miserable or low-quality life.

nods
I tend to think that because of his looks, Randall was in the “racial” department. If you look a reptile’s reputation here…it’s understandable…

I feel he is a very hard worker…a bit overconfident sometimes…but still.
Anyways, it was his involvement with the Scream Extractor that changed his personality to what we see. It would have taken years or months to work down in a lab day after day IN ADDITION to working his normal job.
And with the trouble of keeping things underwrap, the occasional “drop of moral”, and the effects on his physical condition…
The most of Randall we see is caused by what he was put in. A part of him, like everyone, yes…but one that he didn’t intend to bring out.

Despite being my 2nd favorite Monsters Inc character, Randall’s ending never reall bothered me. He’ll be the Bigfoot of Louisiana now!

I wonder would they would call him? “The Purple Lizard”

Wait, Louisiana? I feel dumb. For some reaon it gave me a Florida vibe. :open_mouth:

Well, they never said for sure! I’m sure Florida works as well, they have bayous there too! I just like to think that it’s Louisiana.