Coco (2017)

It is way too early for me to be excited for either Dia or Finding Dory. We know literally nothing. A year before and when we start getting info is when I get interested.

You never know, it could go Newt!

Oh yeah, poor Newt. I hope they can come up with a completely different story that can use those characters in the future one day. I was sad to see it go, for some reason.

The Dia de los Muertos movie is one of the most original I’ve heard of in a long time. After thinking about it, that thing that was concerning me could actually end up pretty funny or sweet. I was worried about that part being too creepy, but I doubt they would let something like that happen. It’s supposed to be a story about family, and that’s what I think will be the best and my favorite part.

This is what’s scaring me, and forcing me to hold back some of my excitement with both this and Inside Out. :frowning: I really, really hope not. They sound brilliant!

Looks like this thread could use a facelift now that we have a new teaser poster.

Glad to see that the film exists.

I think it’s worth noting here that Coco isn’t the first Pixar film to include a character named Miguel. In Cars 2 there is a Spanish racer named Miguel Camino.

I don’t know if this is the first time Pixar has reused a name (probably not) but it seemed like before they did their best to not let this happen. I know it had to happen eventually. Maybe there are other same-first-name characters from different movies that I don’t know about.

At any rate, Coco is still a ways in the future but Lee Unkrich could make it work well.

I wonder if they are going to change the title in Germany because of another animated movie from a few years back: “Curious George” which was titled in Germany as “Coco, der neugierige Affe” (Coco the curious monkey)

As far as I know, the only other reused name is Chuckles (the clown and the dead gold fish).

I’m a little concerned that this movie may go the same way as Newt.
The Book of Life was released relatively recently and it was also about the holiday which is the central theme of this movie.
Also, the concept art for the lead character depicts Miguel as having a guitar, the instrument favoured by the lead male in Book of Life.

Pixar has to be really careful here, because even with the best of intentions, this movie will still be held up beside Book of Life for comparison.

The change I would have made was not to use a guitar, but some other instrument.
But according to this website ([url]Iowa Folk Life Vol. 02), there’s only a small selection of instruments and half of them are either guitars or analogous to them.
It might have been interesting to see Miguel with a harp, but the one depicted in that article doesn’t look very portable!
Panpipes or a flute maybe, they’re a lot smaller.
When was the last time you saw a flute playing lead character? Or any time for that matter?

I don’t know much about the real life version of the holiday, but I don’t think there are actual dead people coming to life in the fictional versions.

It’s depicted more as a day when the spirits of the dead are granted leave to return to the mortal realm to be with their family, but they are completely imperceptible.

Still, we’ll have to wait a fair while for any plot details, with a release date of around August 2017, I don’t think we’ll find out anything soon.

And now I’m curious if Disney are ever going to go for a latina movie and/or princess.
Does that culture even have the concept of royalty?
The only information I have on that subject was from a historical novel, where the only positions of note were land barons of high standing.

Violetta was the only Disney franchise I can recall that was specifically made Latino, but the duplicitous nature of the lead character meant it wasn’t exactly going to be held up as a shining example of good television.

The next Disney Princess is going to be a Polynesian, her name is Moana.
According to the notes, that’s a culture they haven’t featured before.

Nothing wrong with two movies focused on the same holiday. We have dozens of Christmas films and Halloween films. Two Day of the Dead films is fine in my book. And playing the same instrument isn’t exactly a huge, story affecting thing.

Newt is a different story. It had the same plot as Rio. And actually, I’ve heard Rio wasn’t even the central reason why it was canceled, if it was a reason at all.

And it’s not like people aren’t comparing Pixar films to things already. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone claim Inside Out was ripping off something I could fill in the missing slots in my Pixar Blu-Ray library.

I heard something about them developing a TV show with a latina princess.

On the bright side, the people who made Book of Life and Pixar are both totally cool with there being two movies on the same holiday, so no worrying about that!

And, judging by the outpouring of support for Coco, we may end up getting more movies about it!

And I have to say, I LOVED Coco, I saw it 3 times in theaters and my dad (who never buys movies on DVD unless it’s to show in class) asked me when it comes out on DVD so we can get it and re-watch it.