Central Brave Discussion

I know it’s just concept art. But really. She’s just so darn ugly!!! I don’t think any lead girl in a Pixar film has been ugly, in art or product.

In art, yes. In product… Colette comes to my mind. Maybe some other.

Which is exactly why I don’t think the fans of the princess franchise will react well to her.

I also don’t get why her being “ugly” is such a problem, it seems like a pretty shallow criticism of the character.

I think Celia is ugly, but she’s a Medusa. Why is Colette ugly?

Reaper: I just don’t understand why she’s not gorgeous like other Pixar and Disney characters.

Because not all people are gorgeous, the movie is a deliberate attempt to make a princess movie that is the exact opposite of what people think a princess movie is, so the lead girl cannot be this amazingly beautiful person. Not everyone in real life is attractive, and not all movie characters should be either.

Edit: Also I think the queen will probably be much more appealing in this regard, probably to contrast her and Merida’s personalities.

First, I won’t get as far as calling her ugly.

I’m with e-j-e on this. Concept art doesn’t look like the finished character. And if she ends exactly like in them, well… I’ve seen worst, particularly in other studios (I hate the look of Astrid and the other characters in HTTYD, for instance) but also in previous Pixar productions. I think Colette is ugly, sorry. And yet I love her character and Ratatouille has been my favorite Pixar movie many times.

So I’m not trashing the movie, as I don’t think it’s reason enough to do it. But I do hope that, in the final product, she looks aesthetically pleasing. Because yes, as shallow as it sounds, beauty is important to me :blush:

I didn’t think she looked ugly either, but a whole bunch of people keep saying she is. But I do agree with you about the humans in HTTYD, because they were one of the things that really turned me off of that movie.

…Oh. No offense to anyone, but I totally just lost interest in this movie. Like Spirit, I don’t like ugly girls, especially in animation. Don’t care why she isn’t pretty.

Well, I was in the same ship as you, but shouldn’t you wait to see her final look?

And also, even if she turns awful, I won’t lost interest on the movie. Beauty is just a booster for me, hence the Ratatouille example.

Honestly, I was never really interested in this movie. I don’t mean to be mean, but it never sparked my interest. This just makes me a little disappointed.

Just throwing in my opinion here. :wink:
I personally don’t think of Merida as ugly. I see her as tough, and reading the plot, it sounds like she’s supposed to be tough, so I’m currently satisfied with her design.

I agree Spirit, if Colette’s nose wasn’t so, large, she’d be prettier.

Virginia: How can you be totally turned off by the movie already? Just because she’s ‘ugly’? It’s just concept art. We haven’t seen the final product yet, and so far the plot can be summed up by one line! It’s what’s on the inside that counts. :confused:

Exactly, it’s mainly her nose. It’s enormous.

And I also agree with what you say about Brave, Kenzie.

most part of the time concept art is a fast, quick drawing, in which the animators show what they want to represent in a specific scene, if we’re lucky, we would be seeing a teaser in 2 months, after that ,the debate might be opened to discuss if she really looks ugly or not , we shouldn’t judge the poor Merida without haven’t seen her final appearance ;-p

^ That’s it. I can’t wait for that teaser. I hope it has actual footage.

you can put me in the iffy camp. i don’t think she’s gorgeous or anything, but i definitely wouldn’t go as far as to call her ugly, so.

honestly, i don’t want her to be all flawlessly beautiful or anything. do i want her to be aesthetically pleasing? of course. but then again, i’ve been waiting on edge for this movie for like /forever/ so honestly in the end what she looks like doesn’t mean a whole lot to me. i just need to see it.

asdfghjkl;;YES. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE TEASER, GUYS. /choirs of angels sing

I’m out of the circle since I like this concept art, but I think she’ll look better in the final film for sure. That’s almost always the case.

Plus, not too many of the drawings we’ve seen so far have a very direct focus on her, especially her facial features.

I noticed that. It’s one of the things that gives me hope.

Heh, that’s true. It’s usually some obstacle or a prop. I still hope she is much prettier than that, though.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over how ‘pretty’ the heroine would look in the movie. As long as the story is strong and relatable, and the character has heart, I can live with it. Not that I expect Pixar to do anything less than stellar character-design work, mind you.