Anime/Manga

My point was not that no one likes them. My point is, they’re bad.

Ha. Better not say that to the super fans or their freak. Anime fans can be violent.

^Anyone who strongly loves something will be willing to defend it—some more ferociously than others though. :wink:

I’m saying they’re bad, which they are. It’s hardly disputable. Now, is it enjoyable? Not in the least to me. But it likely is to a lot of people(just those 2 and ones like them, not all anime).

When I was in middle school, and also high school, my friends were all anime/manga fans. But I never got into it! But my friend was a fantastic, sorry Is a fantastic artist. And she does an anime style.

I used to be big into anime/manga in general and even attended conventions for them often. I don’t mind the subculture now, and still enjoy certain kinds of anime and manga, I’m just not going to be biased into liking something if it’s from Japan.

My Neighbor Totoro aside, which I’ve liked since it was released in the US in the mid-90s, I’ve been interested in anime films since I was in middle school. I tested the waters of anime TV series and manga on several occasions, but I have never and probably will never get into either. I think I discussed that in the beginning of the thread. Anime shows are bad; that’s all there is to say about that. I’ve watched some entire series and tried to get into other highly acclaimed ones, but we are simply not meant to be! What really frustrates me is that there isn’t a Ghibli-like series around. Everything’s too dramatic, too much ridiculous humor, too much meaningless violence, too trying-to-be-serious-and-existential, too much objectification of women, too many one-dimensional characters, too much bad and/or predictable writing. I don’t want to see any of those things in a series, and I have yet to find something that meets my snobby standards.

Okay, confession time: on the subject of being/knowing/previously being an avid anime fan, on multiple occasions people have assumed I’m an anime fan (if this can be considered a stereotype) because of my interest in Japanese films and culture (I’ve seen about 100 Japanese films). I find this rather annoying, because I hardly think my interest in three-hour-long gritty realism dramas has that much in common with the broad medium of anime outside of basic Japanese culture. When I say I’m really into Japanese films, I mean live-action, but people seem to assume otherwise because anime is so popular! I guess what else is frustrating is that many beautiful live-action films are ignored for what I would consider lesser-quality entertainment. I mean, really, Japan produces some of the most films out of any country in the world (I think it’s among the top 3 or 4?), and yet there are very few films that the average person has seen, even those interested in Japanese culture. End rant! If anything, I would say I’m a casual anime fan, but really I just happen to like some animated Japanese films that are really good (Ghibli, Kon Satoshi, etc.). These are the same films that are accessible to anyone, for the most part—young or old. I am very much open to more quality anime shows and movies and would gladly call myself an anime fan if that quality was the norm. ;-p

To clarify this angry-sounding and quite critical post, I would consider myself generally open-minded to anime. I want to like stuff, but I’ve just been disappointed a lot.

I agree on the Tv show animes. I really do not appreciate those.

Although I still personally would not rule out every anime tv show as being bad, I can never seem to get into the popular ones, at least not any of the currently popular ones. I agree with a lot of your points too. Way too much objectification of women in a lot of anime series—this is something that’s really been bothering me especially lately. :confused: It exists in tons of American cartoons as well obviously, but I feel like it isn’t done in such a…gross manner, for lack of better words.

i know what you mean. There was this anima series on SciFi(I fail to remember the name) where this guy was…well, messing with this girl, and then he killed her…well, I can’t explain it. But it was really weird and awkward.

:open_mouth: That sounds creepy! The only anime series I know they’ve shown on the SciFi channel is Gurren Lagann. 8D And I kind of doubt anything like that happens in that show, even though I don’t watch it. xD

Ah. I wish I could remember the title.

Anyone here like American anime like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Teen Titans. I hated how Teen Titans ended on a cliff hanger.

I’ve never gotten to watch much of Avatar The Last Airbender, but it seemed cool! And I was a huge Teen Titans fan back in the day. I’m still sad that CN had to cut it off, especially on an episode intended to be a two-parter. :frowning: I recently just rewatched the entire series. :slight_smile:

I liked Teen Titans, and Avatar was okay. Never watched either continuously.

I wonder if Terra ever got her memory back.

Recently, I have watched an anime series titled Lucky Star

That show is, in one word, HILARIOUS!!! Seriously, it was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen, seeing how Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki talk about all kinds of random stuff, and all the funny jokes that happen along the way. In fact, this show makes fun of anime culture itself, with all these references to otaku and moe personalities. Honestly, this show was amazing. I saw all 24 episodes on YouTube, and in English! What could be better than that? :smiley: Aside from some PG-rated elements the series has, I recommend this anime to anyone who like slice-of-life stories and not the typical action/fantasy/sci-fi anime most of us are used to.

There are some other animes I plan on checking out in the future, including K-ON!, Nichijou, Shugo Chara!, and Pretty Cure.

And yes, I have watched Avatar: The Last Airbender as well. Can’t forget to note that one, even though it’s an American creation instead.

JSWeC: Wow, the opening intro certainly won me over with its adorableness! It’s also nice to discover that it is one of my favourite bits of the Nico Nico Dougla medley (from 7:07).

One of my favourite anime I can think of the top of my mind is Samurai Pizza Cats. It’s like Voltron met The Ninja Turtles, with some zany English voice dubbing (basically the English voice actors had an “anything goes” attitude and didn’t even bother translating the Japanese dub, which made it even funnier, surprisingly!).

TDIT: Glad you like the intro! It’s so fun and cute! BTW, if you want to know, look up a user on YouTube named “Cracker Bounty”; he (or she) has the full Lucky Star series in both English Dub and Sub. :wink:

I’ve been watching Sailor Moon lately and although it takes a while to get good, I enjoy it a lot, but that might be because I have a huge nostalgic fondness for the genre (I was really into Tokyo Mew Mew for a while. I’m re-reading it now, actually!). I’m only 27 episodes into the DiC dub— Sailor Mercury is definitely my favorite, closely followed by Sailor Jupiter. I’m curious to see what they’ll be doing differently in the remake that supposedly gets on Japanese air this summer.

There’s a lot left to go but I’m liking it :smiley: