Advanced WALL-E 101

Ah well, I just remembered that someone was asking why the auto-destruct button was so prominent and I wasn’t sure whether that had been answered yet but I guess it had been… Never mind.

As far as I see it the Big Red Button doesn’t turn on the auto-destruct, that’s not the one Go-4 hits. He hits one of the smaller buttons on the red part of the console, I think it causes the big red one to pop up but I’m not sure. I can only assume that the big red button is used to turn off the auto-destruct (that’s why it’s so big) but Go-$ deactivated it somehow.

Why is there a self-destruct button in the first place? It’s supposed to be an emergency escape pod, not a pod-o-death!

I also noticed that M-O “steps” off of his white path numerous times!! (sorry if this has already been said). When he’s cleaning WALL-E’s, um, “rear-end” and WALL-E moves forward, M-O goes off the path and pushes WALL-E back! Yet he’s scared to do it later for some reason (note: I’m sure many of you noticed this but I just wanted to post it).

A fellow WALL-E Forum member found (in this thread) that on Mr. Incredible’s first assignment, the mechanism that loads him into the ejection pod shares the same sound effect as WALL-E’s truck door. While trying to verify that claim, I found another shared sound effect between Bomb Voyage’s time bombs and Auto flashing A113.

Would this be the first time you’ve heard of it, or have there been shared sound effects between other Pixar movies as well?

This is a lengthy list I found that doesn’t seem to fit in ANY thread except this one. Part linguistics and part communication, it makes me have to head for an advanced dictionary of sorts or perhaps a special dictionary of these terms.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WALL-E
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/WALL-E

Andrew ‘Finding Nemo’ Stanton is an Accidental Aesop? Hmm, my term for him was a Bumbling Prophet, but I like the AA term better. Clearly in the opening scene we see how the Director was paying homage to the classic movie Trash of the Titans. Anyways, here is the definition of this term:

When a writer intends to simply write a piece of fiction without An Aesop but someone reads something into their work that they didn’t intend. This can also happen when the creator did intend An Aesop, but the one people pick up is completely off tack from the one they intended.

What does this mean? Well I think it’s saying that Stanton is a storyteller who in the eyes of some was spinning a eco-tale from the outset, that he had some sort of agenda.

Here is another interesting list of glitch observations. I’m sure you will disagree with many of them, I sure did:

moviemistakes.com/film7360

One thing that most people don’t think of until they imagine how they would make a functioning Wall-E is the cubing fake: Wall-E could never spill out a cube that big after just one scrunch. He would need to make a first cube and then pack some more material in his belly and scrunch again, repeat maybe once more.

That’s true, I admit I didn’t think of that right away. I didn’t recognize any more famous satellites, maybe I should watch it again.

I found this to be an incredibly interesting thread, so I just wanted to jump in here with a few of my own thoughts and observations. I don’t think these have been mentioned here yet, but I’m sure most of you have identified these before. Here goes:

b[/b] I’ll start with a fairly obvious one; just throwing it out there. [spoil]When the holo detector is initiated, all of the humans are dressed in the new blue, except for John and Mary. Then when the humans fall off their chairs, they go back to the default red.[/spoil]

b[/b] It took me a while to realize that Wall-E himself breaks out of his programming at one point in the movie; I was focused too much on him breaking other characters out of their programming. Sure he’s developed personality and curiosity, but at the start of the film, he’s still doing his directive (for his own reasons).
It’s not until after Eve finds the plant and shuts down; in the scene (most beautiful scene, imo) where Wall-E sadly goes back to work and he compacts a single trash cube and stops to stare at it. From what we see in the film, this is the last cube Wall-E ever makes. [spoil](He makes a couple more in the end of the film, but I don’t count these because he’s in his lifeless, reset mode. He’s not himself.)[/spoil] From this point on, Eve is his directive. And I love the way he stops and stares so blankly at this cube; you can tell that he knows now that there is indeed more to life than his programming. I mean, how can you go back to your old life when you’ve caught a glimpse of the perfect life?

b[/b] The day count that the Captain states in the Axiom may be inaccurate, since some days may be longer/shorter than others. This is possible because they seem to have full control of the time of day. The Captain even rewinds the clock back to morning when he realizes that Auto waked him up late. So the hours they’ve spent on the Axiom may actually disagree with the amount of days they’ve spent on the Axiom.

b[/b] The children in the Axiom never smile until they are held by John and Mary. With that in mind, how were they conceived and who are their parents? Notice how there are so few of them compared to the rest of the population. Perhaps this implies that the human race has been slowly diminishing after years away from Earth.

b[/b] By the end of the film, [spoil]both Wall-E and Eve bots are essentially obsolete, on Earth. They are perhaps the only two types of bots (as far we know) that were designed solely to serve Operation Cleanup and Operation Recolonize, which have both been shut down. (One may argue that Wall-E can still be used to clean up the trash and Eve can still search for vegetation on Earth or in different planets.)[/spoil]

b[/b] When the captain watches the first video explaining [spoil]Operation Recolonize[/spoil], the BnL CEO breaks his flow when he says “Axiom” as if the name of the ship was only dubbed in. This implies that the Axiom is indeed only one of several/many other ships of its kind, all of which receive the same video from BnL.

b[/b] When Wall-E first sees the hand-holding in Hello Dolly!, he tries to intertwine his own fingers in one way, but then adjusts to a more comfortable position. This really makes you sense just how much of a human Wall-E has become, in that he can take preference from one thing over another. He can actually recognize when one hand position is more comfortable than another. That may be looking too deep into things, but when I first saw that, I thought to myself, “Hey, I’m like that too! I’m more comfortable with my left thumb on top of my right.”

Great thread!

Hi there. Guess you are here pretty much because of Wall-E or curiosity over some other Pixar movie such as Up.

Yeah, I mentioned that this was an especially endearing and important scene. But its the return of the spaceship that causes it to be Wall-E’s last cube in the movie. I would wager he might continue making cubes, simply because he has questioned his directive doesn’t mean that he has decided to abandon it. Hmm, but thinking more about it, he largely suspended that directive during the first couple of days that Eve made her presence known, only going back to the cubing after a full day and a half of not being able to get her going again. It’s really difficult for us to say at this point, but Stanton does make it clear that Wall-E realized his loneliness and saw his redemption in the finding of a mate. This happened before he found the plant.

This is something new here. No one has noticed this before. Good going. I wonder if the computer has her own clock. Always have thought that Auto awoke the captain later because he was busy getting the plant out of Eve and hatching his evil plot.

Humans live much longer. There are supposed to be about 30,000? people aboard, and perhaps a replacement need of 200 per year. Many less kids are shown, but I think they are largely symbolic.

Well there were incinerators and presumably large bots to manage them in Op Cleanup. As for Op Recolonize, that brings up interesting ideas. Surely there would be plans for other bots who hatch at that point or perhaps reprogramming of existing bots. We see other bots helping the people during reconstruction, such as Burn-E.

It seemed to me he was just trying something new, and never having done it before, he was testing variations with his clumsy claws. It seemed like the director was trying to make him awkward at it, just my impression, or maybe trying to emphasize what Wall-E was doing by doing it twice, as in laying it on. But you could be right, since this is when he first starts on the path to wanting a mate, which interferes with his directive. This tiny extra movement you mention wasn’t an accident. Stanton planned it for a very good reason.

Was wondering when some completely new people would come to this subforum. We’ve had a few lately. Some people just simply missed out entirely on Wall-E last summer, just like I missed out on Ratatouille the year before (bad advice). Thanks for the new revelations and keep them coming!

Just wanted to mention that the name of the cockroach, Hal, might actually be a dual reference.

The most obvious is the 2001: A Space Odyssey reference of HAL-9000, but there is a lesser known reference to legendary movie producer Hal Roach who gave us things like Laurel & Hardy and Our Gang (aka The Little Rascals).

Here’s a pic of him:

He began his career in the silent film industry, until 1928, when things were changing. He was also one of the first to be involved in film colorization of older b+w movies. And yes, he was very big in comedy. Actually, from personal experience, his Laurel and Hardy features found their great fame in television after 1948. They were a staple of post cartoon Saturday mornings and even after school on weekdays. I don’t know if kids today see either these or the Our Gang adventures. Perhaps on some cable tv, but a few decades ago all the local stations played these at some point.

Auto was the one who acted like Hal from 2001. I didn’t know much about Hal Roach. They actually talk about him on the Wall-e wiki.

[Edit] After watching 2001 again for the first time in years it’s very clear how much this movie influenced our movie. The most complete list of similarities at this website comes from Rachelcakes1985 from several years ago in the “Wall-E Film Commentaries” thread, in the Fan Commentaries subforum:

2001: A Space Odyssey - similarities such as

• clean, white interior of space ship
  • same music: “blue danube” + “also sprach zarathustra”
  • in 2001 on-board they drink (eat?) from fruit box things similar to the food-in-a-cups in WALL•E
  • Hal - cockroach
  • AUTO’s eye - similar to HAL in 2001
  • little dialogue in both films

2001 is probably the most famous of all SciFi films. Our movie is highly original too, with ideas that in 1994 no one had approached. But there certainly was influence from and ‘hat tipping’ to other films, with 2001 paramount.

This is a more involved response to what LimitedFreedom brought up last week, about Wall-E being obsolete when he returned to the earth and Operation Cleanup being over.

Things were still quite a mess, even after Wall-E had been working 700 years to clean up 100 years of mess in that one large city. And I stress that it was just one large city out of many on the entire earth. If you run the tape backwards, all those 70 or so skyscrapers of cubed garbage would fill up quite a bit of the city’s streets. Notice how Wall-E is moving about unobstructed in the first scene where he see him tooling thru the streets listening to Hello Dolly.

Even after the humans return, what’s to be done with all that remaining mess? Incinerating it might work for a small area, like the one city, but wouldn’t work for the entire earth especially if all the other ships came back. My guess is that this is where the toxic gases came from 700 years earlier. Recycling the materials some other way would be a better idea, in fact you wonder why this wasn’t done in the first place. Some bot or someone has to pick up this stuff and get it onto a transport. Wall-E’s were originally designed to build the huge stacks near where the incinerators would process it. Did our Wall-E continue to make the stacks without proper direction long after everyone had left? We don’t know the answer to this. But we do know that Wall-E could be slightly reprogrammed to do something else with cubes of garbage.

So I don’t think Wall-E was wasting his time with his cubing directive all those years, and don’t think that Op Cleanup was over by any means. Wall-E was still needed to save the world, just as we really do need Wall-E’s in our present day real world to help save it. There, I said it…

The best done sequence in the movie might just be the one when the spaceship lands and what goes on underneath it until Eve is fully hatched. Mr. Stanton says so in the dvd, that it was the only sequence in which he got the same feeling when it was finally animated as he had when he envisioned it. Wow, what a perfectionist. I almost feel sorry for the other legion of animators who worked on other sequences and did a perceived lesser job.

All the gizmo’s needed to hatch Eve, Wall-E going “Eek”, and hiding under a rock. And how that rock fell off as he unavoidingly peeked out from his box to watch. What you see is a type of photorealism not normally seen in animated movies.

For me, this sequence was the most realistic… I would hazard to say that if it had been shown to Walt Disney himself, he would not have believed it was animation. So to the Unknown Pixar Animator who did that stretch of film, here is the 2008 Walt Disney “That’s-Not-Animation (Are you trying to pull my leg fella?)” Award.

Finally, I see myself looking at Wall-E and the goings on underneath the spaceship in the same state of fascination / wonderment / curiosity as Wall-E is looking at the goings on of all the mechanical devices. It took me until now to realize that.

Wow, a whole year since anyone posted on this thread, and Up and the Toys have been a distracting force. So in that time a few things have come to my attention that need to be here, or somewhere in this subforum. Here goes:

Firstly, did you notice the first time you viewed the movie that when the garbage scowl-damaged Wall-E is flown to the Holodetector he isn’t damaged at all as he first tries to keep it open? I wondered about this every time I saw the movie and it wasn’t until one of the featurettes came out on the dvd was there an explanation by Mr. Stanton. He said that originally, just before the first screening in the Fall of 2007 before a film school crowd, that it was EVE who was damaged, and he showed the sequence where an internally damaged EVE was being prodded by a sad Wall-E. Stanton realized that it would make Wall-E more heroic to be the damaged bot. It also mightily propelled the story threads, with our TonkaTruck-like friend having to go back to Earth for spare parts with The Plant in tow. It was a beautifully reworked sequence, and Mr. Stanton had to plead with all the producers and Lead team animators and various run-of-the-mill animators who had poured months into ‘their’ scenes to just toss out 3-4 min of screentime of their work. So, suddenly, Wall-E is repaired and then struggles to keep the Holodetector open, just to get smashed again. “Oh no, Wall-E…” It was a minor error.

Secondly, just ran across a book published in 2005 by Steve Squyres, Roving Mars, and was floored to look at one of the color plates in a section reserved for actual photographs and artists renditions. One of the realistic paintings showed a Wall-E like robot hiding behind and peeking over a rather large rock while a very nearby rocket blasted off, with flames shooting out. It has to be seen to be believed. Now this artistic rendition is credited to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. And this is also where the Pixar pre-production team went to visit to get ideas about robots in outer space. I tried to post the picture here, but only so much of the copyrighted material is available for perusal from this book. Again, this picture looks like a storyboard from the movie, circa 2005, while they hadn’t even decided on the exact look for our Earthbound robot friend. I am beside myself…

The book is available on Amazon for $2 and so is a dvd, starring the author and others. Anyone seen the dvd… good?

No Wall-E on Mars, this just in from Andrew Stanton:

fandango.com/movie-trailer/j … 2191803439

Well, finally got around to freeze framing it. There are a few organic molecules represented, not just one. There are also a couple of pages of written descriptions. Also, a few petri dishes are shown where samples are taken away and displayed in another representation. The last image is that of the computer representation of ‘The Plant’, the green emblem used in the Holodetector, equaling the image of the particular plant Wall-E found. That means identity (or identification), and caused EVE to go to the next step in her programming.

Also, more details about where Wall-E found this plant. The Plant seems to be inside and on the bottom of a refrigerator. Wall-E uses his laser to divide the refrigerator door in two. But the door isn’t actually attached to the frig anymore, its off to the side only partly obscuring the inside. I had always wondered how light and water had gotten to the plant, which is on top of about a foot of rich-looking soil. And that’s good because soil is alive, about half of which is bacteria, the rest minerals. So why did our friend cut the door in two? It may be because he had to chop it up in pieces to cube. And if alot of bacteria had died off earlier, that may have helped the roots and any seeds to not rot away, explaining the burgeoning flora in the movie credits.