Continuity - Why I love Pixar

Just take a look at these two screenshots from Toy Story 2 and 3.

Notice how everything from the bed, to the wallpaper, to the dresser drawer, to the bookshelves is exactly the same. How many other studios out there would bother to put so much thought and effort into tiny background details that the vast majority of audiences won’t even notice? But that’s what I love about Pixar - their incredible attention to detail and overall dedication to their films.

Of course its the same. wouldnt make much sense if it were suddenly different. unless he moved to another room in the house, which would be just as acceptable I guess, but yeah they already had a good layout, if anything it was easier to re use it. a lot of thought goes into these room layouts.

there are differences however. the original dresser had more rounded edges, they made them more square in TS3. also, the bed has a much thinner mattress, and possibly thinner peg things on the head board and footboard…
not sure why they did that.

They also made those little oval/sphere things on that connect them smaller.

So its little things like that that they have adjusted. I assume it helps make the room look more like one for an adult. They also made the legs of the desk thinner. Basically making all these things smaller helps make adult Andy look larger, and therefore older. kinda like how if you put an adult in an over sized chair or bed they kinda look like a little kid. its the opposite effect here.

Another thing worth mentioning, the room is also very similar to the new room seen in the original toy story, seen briefly at the end. Only its smaller, and has a different wall texture entirely. I guess to fit as much into the frame as the could in a smaller amount of time.

Yeah, I really like that too!!! I am very picky when it comes to things, so I am a huge fan of Pixar’s attention to detail!

Pixar probably paid so much attention to detail because they knew fans like us would be ready to nitpick if they didn’t. :laughing:

But seriously, as good as it is I’m not particularly surprised that they tried to keep everything as similar as possible, though you pointed out some interesting things there Kyle, especially about the comparative proportions of Andy and his desk and other furniture in the room.

They always do a good job with that kind of stuff. If they never moved to the new house, I wonder if Andy would of kept the wallpaper with the sky and clouds all those years.

Well ke kept the star wallpaper, which is just as kiddy really, so id wager yes, probably.

It’s the reason why sequels are so popular nowadays - “Assets Recycling”. Though I read some movies like Shrek The Third, for example, redid a few assets from scratch with current, updated technology, like Dragon’s (Donkey’s ‘wife’) character model. Didn’t help the movie much, though. :neutral_face:

But yes, despite the fact they practically reused the same assets, they should be commended for their attention to detail with regards to other things, like ‘devil details’ such as dings, dents and scratches, et cetera.

Well, in fact I read an interview where Lee said they didn’t reuse the assets, because the files where very dated, so they also redid them from scratch.

I’m not sure about things like furniture and such, but they obviously redid character models with the toys and definetly Andy. As for the continuity thing, I’m not in the least bit surprised. The only thing I’m a little impressed by that they might have missed is the placement of the stars.

That makes a lot of sense, I mean Toy Story 2 was in 1999, can you imagine how much the technology and animation techniques have changed?

Yes. The textures, for instance, have improved a lot.

I just had a look, they dont seem off to me so far, but maybe you saw something I didnt? it seems to me the stars have two parts, the bottom starts on the right, then goes left, leading to the hallway where his room is back on the right again.

this is best seen I think in the shots where Buster is taking woody outside, gives you a good feel of the lay out in TS2.

the TS3 layout can be seen in this clip.
youtube.com/watch?v=6cIeT_ASLas&hd=1

I liked Andy’s new room in Toy Story, but I can see how it would look too adult for the still-young Andy.

Anyways, I agree with you 100%. Another nice touch was how Andy’s old posters were still under all of his new ones.

I love anything that has good continuity.

I meant that I was impressed that they did not mess up the continuity of the stars, because that would be something that’s easy to mess up on, but they didn’t.