Rats! -- And Why We Love Them

Since I’m feeling in a

rather “posty” mood today, I decided to fulfill my decision to create a thread to unite rat lovers. I

will also compare the differences and likenesses between the rats from Pixar’s

Ratatouille – which includes Remy and “Rollie” – and rats in the real

world.

Rats! – And Why We Love 'Em -

Rats! The very word often causes us to

formulate in our minds the grotesque picture of a furry creature with elongated incisors, sharp claws, and a

long, bald tail. Many people cringe at the very name; others have learned to live with our city-street

counterparts, while others have gone as far as keeping them as pets.

But what is it about the rat that

makes us tremble in our beds at night, or avoid dark alleys? Why does our, often vague, picture of these

diminuative rodents represent an animal that has been hated for centuries? Contrary to popular believe, there is

more to these whiskery night-dwellers than meets the

eye…

[b:04

ba4bf14a]My Experience with the Species[/b]:

Ever since I was ten (10) years old, I have loved

and cared for these – as I call them – irresistably adorable rodents. The first time I walked into a pet store

to observe the rat section, I fell in love with them. My mom finally surprised me one day when she said that I

could purchase one (or two), even though she had previously told me that I wasn’t allowed to own a rat until I

was twelve. I was ecstatic, and rightly so. After my experience with nine rats in total, I came to appreciate the

animal. A rat is more than a pet; it is family…

Martha and Rachel: Marth

and Rachel were my first two rats, although I probably should admit that I only rightly owned one of them:

Rachel. Martha became my mother’s rat soon after I purchased her. I never could have picked out two sweeter, or

curious, rats.
Martha was the equivalent of a sugar plum cake. She would kiss people’s fingers; cuddle with

me on the couch at night; and loved her sister, Rachel, to the core.
Rachel, on the other hand, was part

tomboy; a real soldier in her time, Some of her trials and acrobatics included: jumping two to three feet from

one surface to the other, battling numerous tumors and diseases, losing half of her tail, and opening small

doors. One thing I loved about Rachel was that she would never eat her food until

she came back and said “thank you” for it, in her own, special way.
Poor Martha had a rather hard

time of it in her later years. The tumors she could handle, but one thing that she couldn’t survive was cancer.

She finally got so weak to the point that she could hardly walk or eat, much less clean herself. Rachel, the

“trooper”, would clean, feed, and cuddle her sister through those troubled times. It was rather

heart-warming to watch. Martha lived to be about two years old, while Rachel lived a little longer: about two and

a half years, which is pretty good for a rat. They both smiled before they died. I’ll never forget

that…

Hannah and Abbey: Continuing a tradition, we named our third and

fourth female rats after the third and fourth American Presidents’ wives. However, little Hannah and her partner

Abbey certainly wouldn’t have made good First Ladies. Hannah was a born scaredy-cat, while Abbey was rather shy

and quiet around strangers. I don’t remember them very well, unfortunately. However, I do recall Abbey’s

tendency to squeak whenver someone tried to kiss her. It was rather funny to watch/hear.

Brownie and Blackie: The two “obviously named” brothers, Brownie

and Blackie, were given to me by a cousin of mine, due to the fact that she just didn’t have enough space for

them any more. I gladly took them and had just as much fun with them as I did with my other four girls. By that

time, I already owned four rats – Martha, Rachel, Hannah, and Abbey, accordingly – , so those two boys changed

my total of four rats to six. Brownie hated to get and give kisses, yet loved baths. Blackie loved to give and

get kisses, yet hated the water. Both boys groomed and slept with each other, yet fought whenever I took them out

to play. Odd they were, but long they did live. Both boths almost made it to three years old, a feat for a rat.

Suki and Miki: These poor girls where raised in a dump of a pet shop, and

each were unfairly mistreated. I certainly didn’t blame Suki for almost biting my finger off when I first got

her, as she had been picked up by her tail most of her life. Miki was actually rather friendly, which made my mom

decide to get her.
After a week or two, Suki became sugary-sweet, and Miki got fatter than ever – I think

she had a slight problem. They both lived a suitable life, although Miki had a rather hard time of it, due to her

food obsession. Both of them loved their nightly massages.
Before they passed away, my “rattly”

count totalled eight rats – Martha, Rachel, Hannah, Abbey, Brownie, Blackie, Suki, and Miki. This just goes to

show how often my mom and I walked into a pet store empty-handed and out of it with a new pair of rats.

Ben: Ben was the last rat that I ever owned, and he was also the

“coolest”, so to speak. Named after that well-known jedi, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ben was the most popular of

all of our rats; everyone just loved Ben. He was part dog, in a sense, having learned more tricks during his

lifetime than any of our other rats. One of his favorite past-times was lying flat on our coffee table and

spreading his back feet out behind him while doing this. He was a silly little thing…
Ben passed away

unexpectedly at the ripe old age of two and a half years old. He was probably my second favorite of the

bunch…

After owning nine of those little beauties, I became hooked and officially obsessed with rats.

I’m proud of it, too.

[b:04ba4bf14

a](Un)-Popularity[/b]

There is one thing that I didn’t understand until recently (a few years

ago): Why people seem to hate and fear rats in general. Throughout most of my pre-teenage and young-teen (13-15)

years, I often heard the same word regarding rats in every pet shop I visited: “Ew!”
Most mothers

with their young children would, when encountering the rat section, lean back and respond in a manner similar to

this: "Oh no, you don’t want a rat. They’re disgusting. Why don’t you get a mouse or a hamster

instead?"

Unfortunately, this is the most common response today. Most people just don’t understand

rats. Why, you ask? Well, the cause of it could be due to several reasons…

[b]The

Tail[/b] - The tail. Why is it that particular feature of the rat ends up being bashed and disliked

the most? Well, one reason is probably because it is, unlike the rest of the rat, hairless. The sight of an

already apparently digusting creature without a furry tail turns people away almost instantly. However, the tail

is one of the most essential and crucial features of the rat; without it, the rat is basically useless.
The

tail helps the rat in two areas: It helps the rat to maintain balance, and it regulates a rat’s body

temperature. When walking across a narrow beam, pole, rope, or wire, that elongated tail sure helps the rat to

keep its balance without falling off. That hairless extention also helps the rat concerning weather conditions.

Since the tail is bald, the rat is kept cool in the summer; while, in the winter, the tail “contracts”

and preserves body heat, so to speak, which keeps the rat warm.

[b]The Claws and

Teeth[/b] - Although a rat’s claws help it in many ways, it also causes people to back even furtherer

away from the rat. Claws aid a rat in helping it to hold on to slippery surfaces, dig into garbage and other

food-infested areas, and ward off male rats in fights.
A rat’s teeth also help rats to win fights, besides

helping it to eat and chew, of course.

The Manner of the Rat - To most

people – especially city-dwellers – , a rat is an unclean, useless animal. It’s main purpose is to "eat,

poop, and populate", so to speak.
Rats are actually very clean animals, at least…the pet ones are. I

often witnessed my rats clean themselves thoroughly five to ten times a day, if not more.
Except for,

perhaps, the city and wild rats, tame rats will choose a specific place to deficate. This further explains their

need to be clean.
Rats do populate abundantly, and often. This will be explained later in this section.

Basic Rat Facts -

Habitat - Rats will bascially

set up a home base in any spot that is suitable enough for their taste. The majority of rats prefer to live

comfortably around humans, their food supply abundant in trash cans and people’s kitchen floors and

refridgerators. Other wild rats survive on almost anything that comes in reach, as their diet consists of

herbivorous and carnivorous organisms.

Sustainance - As rats are omnivorous,

they will consume almost anything within reach of their paws. Anything from berries to chicken, and from lettuce

to trash will do for a rat.

Mating - Mating is quick, yet effective. A

female rat can become pregnant as early as the age of four or five weeks, the gestation period lasting

approxiamately twenty-one to twenty-three days. A female will go into heat/season thirty-six hours after giving

birth; and the birth itself can manifest up to twenty-four babies at a time. This is the reason why rats are able

to populate areas within a relatively short amount of time.

Care and Husbandry of Pet Rats -

A rat is a living, breathing thing, that

should be regarded as an animal, not an object. When purchasing a rat, make sure that the rats requirements fit

your time schedule and home environment.

Basically, a rat shouldn’t be given to any, fairly young child

between the ages of one to eight. Even nine or ten may be a bit too early for a young animal enthusuaist to own a

rat, unless he or she is already fully responsible.

If you do decide to adopt one of these beloved

rodents, make sure that you can give it the proper attention it needs, as such:

[b]Male or

Female?[/b]: Male rats are usually more laid-back and quiet, while the females tend to be more

energetic. However, some females – such as Martha – can be just as lazy as males, and some males – such as my

Ben – can be just as rambunctious as females.

Up and at 'Em: A rat is

bascially nocturnal, yet any rat can adjust to whatever time frame you want it to adjust to. Say that you work

from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Your rat will adjust his or her sleeping schedule so that it fits in perfectly with

your time frame. The rat will sleep the day away while you are at work, yet wake up refreshed and ready to go by

the time to you get home. This goes for night-shifters, as well. Rats can basically adjust to any time frame or

schedule.

Housing and Bedding: There are many brands of small pet bedding

that you can purchase at your local pet store, some being healthier than others. I always used CareFresh bedding

for my babies, and they seemed to love it. Unlike aspen, cedar, and pine-shave beddings, which are essentially

unhealthy for rats, CareFresh is nontoxic and safe; my rats never obtained allergies from the CareFresh bedding,

which is why I highly recommend it. Other beddings, such as BioFlush and Yesterday’s News, will work fine, as

well.
The cage should be cleaned of little “deposits” once a day, and the entire cage should be

thoroughly washed down at least once a week. Yes, it’s hard work, and you might hate it – as I did – , but it

sure keeps the cage spotless! There are a number of disinfectants that can be used to clean a rat cage, one of

them being Parvosol. Make sure that the disinfectant you use is safe for cages (and rats). The type of cage you

buy is also important. Please note that rats can pretty much squeeze their body through anything as big (or

bigger than) a quarter. If a rat can get its head through a hole, so can the rest of its body. Please see the

link below for more information.

Food and Water: A rat should always have a

adequate supply of food and water available; water especially in the summer time. My rat’s diets consisted of a

special rat food mix called Reggie Rat Food. Once in a while, I would give them corn

on the cob, small pieces of egg, and advocado, all of which they absolutely savored. However, there are some

foods and table scraps that you should never feed to your rats. See the link below

for more information.

The Health Factor: Rats can suffer from numerous

health problems, the most common being respiratory infection and mycoplasma (which all pet rats contain). Signs

of illness include sneezing, lethargy, and porphryin (red discharge around the eyes and nose). Take a peek at the

link below for more information on rat health and diseases.

Play-Time!: Rats

simply love to play! PVC pipes, bird toys, tissue boxes, and hammocks make great brain-busters for your rats.

Hammocks are mere sleeping quarters for rats, but it’s still fun to watch your little rodents swing themselves

back and forth on the things.

Tricks: Surprisingly, rats can learn a number

of tricks, depending on their personality and curiosity. A lazy rat who sleeps most of the time will, more often

than not, refuse to learn a new trick; however, an energetic rat will usually be just the opposite. With an IQ

level that is as high as a dog’s – or higher --, it’s no wonder that it was pretty much a breeze to teach my

rats these various tricks:

Stand up on

command
Kiss on command
Spin in a circle on

command
Tip over a cup
Pull up a cup by a

string
Come on command
[b]Walk across a

broom[/b]
Climb onto a stool/cup on

command

A

good source of rat facts and the like are featured on this popular rat and mouse website:

rmca.org/

Click on RMCA Rat FAQ to learn more about these

rambunctious critters.

As of today, rats are still my favorite house pets to own, besides cats. They have

provided me with years of love and enjoyment, as have I to them.

I love 'em! Don’t you? :wink:

Please

don’t hesitate to share your love or dislike for rats, for I am eager to know what you think of these lovely

critters. Express your views and opinions; I would love to hear them!

Mitch

Side-Note: I asked PixarVixen if I could write this before-hand, and

she said “yes”. I wanted to let you guys know that, just in case you were wondering why I made a post

about rats when there is a very convenient “Pets” thread down below (in the “Off Topic”

section). :wink:

I forgot to note the similarities/differences between Remy and “Rollie” and their

real ratty counterparts. :wink:

[b:8d87b8068

1]Remy, “Rollie”, and the Rats[/b]:

Have you noticed the similarities and

differences between the new additions to Pixar’s ever-growing family, and those rascally rodents in the real

world? One reason I love watching the Ratatouille trailer is because I enjoy noting

the many similar and dissimilar features between Remy and Rollie, and their rat counterparts.

Similarities:

Facial Features - Remy’s

and Rollie’s ears, fur, whiskers, tail, and hind feet are all very similar to those of a real rat. Their build

is also similar.

Movement - Although Remy is shown running on his hind feet

ninety-percent of the time, when he does run normally it is quite similar to a real rats’ scamper – it is

almost identical. This is especially apparent when Remy climbs up the broom in the kitchen. A rat will usually

climb up an object in that manner (and at that speed, for that matter).

Differences:

Facial Features -

Remy’s and Rollie’s hands are more human-like, as are their eyes. A rats’ paws end in a point at the claw-tip,

while Remy and Rollie have no claws at all, but rather “bulbous” finger-tips. Their (Remy’s and

Rollie’s) tails are also shorter than a normal rats’ tail. While our little Pixar rats’ tails are about half

as long as their bodies, a real rats’ tail is about as long as its body.

Movement - Of course, we all know that rats can’t run on two feet, or carry

anything with their paws, for that matter. If Remy was to behave like a normal rat, he would carry that tasty

piece of cheese of his in his mouth.

Another feature that is different between Remy and Rollie and normal

rats is one that you might not notice right away. If you look at picture number three in this

post…

Remy *

…you will notice

that Remy is sitting in an upright position. Unfortunately, I have never seen a rat sit in this

rather…“cute”…position. I think it is safe to say, then, that rats cannot adopt this posture.

All in all, it is interesting information to notice and remember next time you watch the

Ratatouille teaser trailer. I will post more differences and similarities between

Remy (and his friends) and real rats as more trailers of this film are released.

– Mitch

*Sorry I

borrowed your link, JV. :stuck_out_tongue:

[b]That all

right I’m glad you did.

All that stuff about Rats is very interesting. And yes you must be in a posting

mood today. :wink: [/b]

I like rats because they’re adorable. They are, in the infinitely wise words of Ralph

Wiggum, like “pointy kitties.”

:laugh: One of Ralph’s best lines.

My cousins have rats. I love letting them

ride on my shoulders and feeling them under my hair.

I never had a rat myself. I was more of a gerbil and

hampster kind of kid, but I never did get that ferret. sighs

Might I add that Mitch has officially

posted the most in-depth post in Pixar Planet history. LOL

~~=oP

Rats are pretty sweet, and are generally under-estimated

in their child-friendliness.

JV: Oh, thanks. I always get tense when I use other people’s links…

Yes, I was feeling a little too “post happy” yesterday.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Spork: Haha – “pointy kitties”. I like that.

:slight_smile:

PixarVixen: Heheh – well, maybe one of these days you’ll experience what

it’s like to own a rat. You’d probably love 'em. Get one and name it “Tony”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahh…ferrets. My mom owned one when she was younger. From what I hear from her, they’re all the rage.

Haha – sorry about that. Maybe I should make my “articles” a little bit shorter. :laughing:

lizardgirl: Indeed, they are. I’m glad you like them, though.

:slight_smile:

Thank you all for reading my ridiculously long post. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re going to be

pretty upset Mitch , but I see rats go " bye-bye " every 2 to 3 weeks . Yes , thats right , i have pet

SNAKES . 10 to be exact . And a few eat rats . The others eat cute little bunny rabbits . So sad for the bunnies

, rats , not so much . They’re not very cute , especially the hairless ones . Sorry , Mitch , the only cute rats

are Remy and Rollie . But mostly Remy and that adorable pose !

I do like rats quite a bit-used to breed them and sell

them myself, back before they came in all these “designer” colors like “Lavender” and

“Silver-Blue”, etc. I will promote a rat over any other rodent pet, that’s for sure, especially over

hamsters, which in my experience, tend to be quite prone to vicious biting! The main drawback to pet rats is

that they don’t live very long, unfortunately, though I have to wonder if this is not due to many lines being

genetically traceable to laboratory strains developed for weaker immune systerms, cancer tendencies,

etc.

Unfortunately, as the years have gone by, I’ve developed a really bad allergy to rodents of all

kinds, including rats. I cannot enter a room with live rodents in it without having a severe asthma attack, and

actual contact with a rat or its litter will result not only in asthma, but a bad case of hives and some serious

swelling of my breathing passages, which totally sucks. For someone like myself, being allergic to ANY animal

sucks! My health insurance does not pay for allergy shots, either, which are expensive. I’d really love to

have a blue rat, but I guess that’s out of the question. Even handling the pre-killed frozen ones I buy to feed

my snakes(snakes gotta eat, too, and you can’t feed 'em dog food) causes me some problems now, and I just

can’t see getting rid of my snakes!

pitbulllady

Hey Mitch, I’m not naming a pet of mine Tony unless it’s a goat.

LOL You older-forumers should get that.

:wink:

Tony Goat (10th post

down)

~~=oP

gottalovepixar: Ohh…what a shame. As much as I hate to see a dead rat, there is

no use “crying over spilt milk”, so to speak. I do respect the snake’s hunger for fuzzies, though. The

snake has to survive, too. :wink:

pitbulllady: Wow – that’s interesting. I’ve

always wanted to breed rats, but my mom does have her limits. Perhaps I’ll get my chance one of these days.

Ohh…that sucks…big time. I also have allergies to dogs, cats, and pretty much anything fuzzy (except

for small animals…including rats). However, since I have been taking allergy shots for a few months now, the

“sneeze factor” has dropped considerably. I hope that you’ll be able to afford the shots someday, as

well; it’s definitely worth it.

PixarVixen - Haha – I’m not that old. :wink:

(It’s not an insult – it’s not an insult! :stuck_out_tongue: )

I love your goat drawing, by the way. :slight_smile:

LOL

Thanks, Mitch. But I wasn’t calling you old. I was referring to the members from the old forums. :stuck_out_tongue:

:wink:

~~=oP

Heheh. You’re welcome.

:smiley:

Haha – I know. I was just joking. :wink:

As is the norm with me, I often forget to mention things that have some relevance to a topic discussion. Take,

for example, the fact that I forgot to mention the similarities and differences between Remy’s and

“Rollie’s” personalities to that of a real rat’s behaviors… :stuck_out_tongue:

Here you are, ladies and

gentlemen:

[b]Similar Personalities

Between the Two[/b]:

Quirkiness - Remy exhibits quirky traits

that are significantly similar to that of a real rat: his moment of surprise when noticed; his reaction to his

dad’s reprimands; the sudden appearance of his brother, coupled with the fact that he was carrying a rather

revolting bit of food in his paws.

Laziness - “Rollie”, like most

male rats, is laid-back and comfortable in his environment; he is quick to settle down in most

situations.

Defensiveness - In the Ratatouille

teaser trailer, Remy’s father showed a quick willingness to react to an undesirable situation. He was reluctant

to relent or take back his true feelings concerning Remy’s actions, which is similar to a common behavior in

male rats: fighting. Male rats will, more often than not, fight each other to retain their dominance. This

aggresiveness usually occurs when a male rat strives to claim his property or claim a mate/female. Remy’s

father, being a male, displayed his true intentions by “fighting back”, so to speak. Remy, also being

male, voiced his true opinions by talking back to his father.

Boldness -

Remy’s tendency to walk right out into the open to obtain a desirable meal/morsel is a behavior not uncommon in

the real world of the rat. Many rats are extremely bold…to the point of where they will explore household

kitchens, basements, and garages in the presence of humans, just to find

sustainance.

Different Personalities Between the Two:

Basically,

there are none, despite the fact that “Rollie” is almost too calm for a male, and Remy would probably

not wait quite so long to flee from the cheese trolley if he was a real rat.