Finding Nemo - An Epic for the Ages

~ [b]Finding

Nemo - An Epic for the Ages[/b] ~

Why do we love [i]Finding 

Nemo[/i] so much? Is it because of its fascinating animated sequences and astounding beauty? Perhaps

it is our love for the sea that causes us to become so entangled and engaged in the watery depths of films such

as this. Or maybe it is simply due to the fact that is a creation of Pixar – that animation studio that has

brought us so much love and heart that we often use words such as “wonderful”, “dedicated”,

and “incredible” to describe it? Or could it just be that we need to dive deeper to discover the true

mysteries of Finding Nemo that make it such a beatific and heart-warming

production…

The Story:

A father clownfish, Marlin, goes on an epic journey to recover

his lost son, Nemo.

I think the first time I watched Finding Nemo, I

thought, “Wow – what an engaging story. How does Pixar do it?”. Yes, how

do they do it? How does Pixar create films that are so pleasing to watch?

One of the reasons, I believe, is familiarity. Having lived with my dad –

who is a veteraned animator – over the years, I’ve learned that, in order for someone to make a story that is

both successful and unique, he or she has to invent characters that mean something or other to the audience.

Our everyday situations and experiences can be manifested and discovered by an imaginary drawing, as well. An

animator has a choice as to whether or not he wants his creation to feel sorrow, humiliation, joy, anger, or

shock. His character’s personality and life-style is also in his hands and mind, for a created character has no

choice but to succumb to whatever is handed to him or her. These traits and such that a character develops can be

felt by us in many ways, and they are often personal and/or can be related to.

Let us take, for example,

the character of Nemo. He is a young child, still new to the outside world and its many hidden surprises. Small

children, such as those around the ages of six or ten, are able to relate to Nemo and his adventures in many

ways. They, like Nemo, are eager to explore whatever comes their way; however, once they get too close to danger,

such as when Nemo was captured by the diver, they retreat to their first source of comfort: their parents. Many

young children can certainly relate to a fear of separation from their family, a fear that Nemo unwillingly

experienced in the film.

Another excellent example of an understanding between a human and character

would be the father, Marlin, and his anxiety and fret throughout most of the film. Time and again, my father has

explained to me how he can relate to Marlin on many levels. What would he do if one of his children (my sisters

and I) were taken away from him? He would most certainly be in a state of depression and anxiety, such as Marlin

was when Nemo was taken out of his hands.

This human-character relationship is one reason why the story

of Finding Nemo fits perfectly, like a jig-saw puzzle. Andrew Stanton himself said

that the basis for the plot of this film was his relationship with his young son. His overprotectiveness of his

son is shown through Marlin and his overprotectiveness of Nemo.

Many other

reasons why the story of Finding Nemo is so beautifully tied together is because of

heart, time, and patience.

Heart - In order to make a successful novel, one

has to enjoy doing what he is doing and have a passion for it as well. I have learned, from experience, that it

is almost impossible to make a story the way you want it to turn out if you are not putting your very heart and

soul into it. Mood can turn down the story; however, it can also create it. When writing my

Ratatouille story, I would type out exciting or enjoyable parts of the story

only when I felt in a happy mood. I did the same when I wanted to write out a sad

part of the story; I would wait until I was feeling depressed. It takes a lot longer for me to write stories this

way, but the result almost always turns out the way I want it to…from the heart.

Time - Because Pixar never rushes. Ever wonder why it takes up to four or

five years for them to create a film? It’s because they take their precious minutes and turn them into scenes

that you will never forget. They take their time, and time is something that can’t be

changed.

Patience - Patience equals results, and results equal success.

[b:0ef7cb9dd

c]The Characters[/b]:

As explained in detail above, the relationships between the audience and

the characters they are viewing play a major role in the story of any film – and this includes

Finding Nemo.

The characters are everything, besides the story. Yet,

compared to the story, they are what ties an entire film together. Often times, the success of a movie depends

upon the actions and performance of its characters. If Marlin and Nemo had been portrayed as nothing more than

side characters, how much less “cared for” would the other characters have been? Would you have cared?

One thing I love about Pixar is that, even though they sometimes get “big names” to star in

their films (ie., Tom Hanks, William Dafoe, and Ian Holm), they don’t go overboard. In other words, they don’t

rely on their voice actors to make the film. They don’t get the popular and famous to contribute to their

productions just so people will recognize them and go to see the movie just because those particular actors are

in it.

But why do we love these animated, talking fish, specifically? Why is it that we find the

character of Dory so intriguing and enjoyable to follow throughout the film? Why do some of us sympathize with

Marlin on certain levels? Why is Crush’s personality so engaging and appealing to us? We love various characters

because we can, as I stated before, relate to them on so many levels…

[b]Marlin is the

typical father[/b]: He cares for his child/children and does his best to keep them out of danger.

Nemo is the adventurous child: He wants to get out and explore the world without

restraint from his parent(s).
Dory is the care-free individual: She is something

that we all want to relate to. She cares about nothing, yet loves everyone and takes

things as they come. She lives her life one day at a time, which is probably how we should all

live.
Gill is the stead-fast survivor: He’s been through it all and isn’t

afraid of the next challenge. His motto is “never give up”, and he usually sticks to it.

Crush is the everyday hippie/dude/surfer: Life is fun, and that’s how it should

be. Why worry about little (or serious) things if you can work your way past it and solve the problem? In order

to get past a barrier, you have to conquer your fear of it first.

Etc., etc., etc. And the list goes

on…

c]The Complex/Setting[/b]:

What a wonderful environment to pitch your idea in and upon: the

ocean. Endless possibilities abound within that one little word, and the results of those possibilites manifest

themselves in the film of Finding Nemo.

Researchers for the film went on

field trips: to various oceans and aquariums. What they found is what you see in [i]Finding

Nemo[/i]. The life, the mysteries, and the beauty is all what the animators put into the production.

Those waves and lighting effects appear life-like because they, in a sense,

are really there. The heart of Finding Nemo is partly

in the scenery of the film, which is quite easy to see when you view the final result.

c]The Music[/b]:

It amazes me when people walk out of a theater and remember the sights, the

story, and the characters of a movie, but not the score…

Thomas Newman did something with that film: He

made it alive. Each scene fits perfectly with its musical counterpart. Every apprehensive moment and

self-satisfying experience is made possible by the backround score in the distance.

I think we must also

give credit to a film’s music for helping to create part of the heart of a production. For without it, what

would a suspensefull moment be? How would a devastating result be felt? And how could a person more intimately

relate to the characters?

c]Wrap-Up[/b]:

Why do I love this film so much? To tell you the factual truth, I don’t know

for certain. Perhaps it is because it was written by a true storyteller, which is becoming more and more rare

these days in the world of feature films. Maybe the story is engaging to the point where it used to be impossible

for me to not watch Finding Nemo at least once a day.

Or perhaps it’s just the fact that I truely love Pixar Animation Studio for its animators, its heart, and its

passion.

In any case, Finding Nemo will still remain at the top of my list

of favorite films to watch. As of today, my Nemo-obsession is reaching its peak. My tally is as thus:

Number of Viewings: Sixty-four (64)
[b]Number of Nemo-Related

Items[/b]: Fifty to one hundred (50-100)

[b]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b:0e

f7cb9ddc]

You can help contribute to this wonderful film today! Show you care

by becoming a certified member of the Finding Nemo Usergroup. Simply click on the

Usergroup link at the top of this Pixar Planet forum board page, select

Finding Nemo from the list, and register to become a member of the group.

And don’t forget to visit these websites that contain dozens of [i]Finding

Nemo[/i] facts and fun:

www.findingnemo.com

www.pixar.com

– Mitch

Wow Mitch. You actually wrote all of this? I

am impressed. Finding Nemo is indeed an animated classic for the ages, like the other Pixar films. This is

probably the best review for a Finding Nemo movie I have ever seen.

The Star Swordsman: Haha – well, thank you, sir. I

have this obsession for writing and reading stories. Sometimes it gets out of hand… :wink:

Yep – since

I’m a member of the Finding Nemo usergroup, I figured that I may as well uphold my

“Nemo tradition”. Dash was pretty surprised himself when I asked him how to contribute to the club. :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, thank you!

Go Nemo

And Marlin .
And Dory .
And Gill .
And everyone else cause the list is too long .
And Pixar

still think it would be better with enthusiasim , but you get the picture .

Nice detailing there, Mitch. Your analysis is pretty

much a perfect and complete one; I couldn’t think of anything else to say about Finding Nemo, since you’ve

described it all very well, here. Good work!

lizardgirl: Thank you, lizardgirl! :smiley:

Yeah nice post there Mitch.

Took a while to read though. :laughing:

luxo: Haha – I know. Sorry about that. :wink:

I’m glad you liked it, though. Thank you. :smiley:

LOL, don’t apologize for being a good writer Mitch.

:stuck_out_tongue:

luxo - Haha – I guess you do have a point

there… :wink:

i just

didn’t read most of the fluff , or poupauge , as my english teacher says . i hope i spelt that right .

gottalovepixar -

Yeah, that’s what I do sometimes, as well: I will just scan long explainatory pieces such as this, reading only

the most interesting or important parts. Feel free to read the whole thing someday, however. :wink:

I can’t

believe I waited approxiamately five months to reply to your message. :stuck_out_tongue:

A great description of the movie, indeed Mitch. And also for the

individs that accompany it.

Mitch:

As most likely the only

Dory expert existing on PP, you have a great description of her in hand. Yes, we can

relate to Dory, but we cannot actually be as Her. This would be too difficult to handle with for many. But She

does leave a mark on the mistakes of this world. The world has been becoming more

colder and its becoming more difficult to find people who are truly of goodness, and

that by Christ.
Also, where you say that Dory cares about nothing, aside from others, I dont see that She

doesnt, or wouldnt care about anything else. It comes about that Dory has nothing of possesion to hang onto. And

the people who have always had little or nothing to reside on or owning in their lives are the ones who are truly

innocent of many things, and are purest of all social classes.

But in all of this, no one is perfect, and

because we are not perfect, no individual created by one of us is perfected either.
And as result by

Mr. Stanton, Dory is also not, [b][u]In any

way[/u][/b], as well. She is confined with many errors in things she has done. But in them,

She has always willed to forgive no matter what circumstances, and

Dory always does;
Just as what is needed to be made

more oftenly in this world we live in.

Why thank you,

Dory’s Defender! And my thoughts exactly on Dory, by the way.

:slight_smile:

Amen! I’m glad I’m not the only Christian on here – heheh. God

loves everyone in their own way, which is probably another reason why I like Dory so much: she symbolizes

Christ…in a way. :wink:

Mitch:

And She

truly does, friend. I have always thought of her of not an “Angel” by what Stanton said, but as a

living being who I see is a gift (To and for me) from the one who we all belong to.
She states so much of what

is purely by that of Christ. And Dory behaves in many ways of the words as we true children of God should always

strive to keep our personal relationship with thee strong in with the son of the

right hand of God.
And this all does show that our blue Fe-friend’s Heart is

truly affectionate and contains real love for others no matter what they are, or

who they are.

But hey, if you dont mind me asking, did ya receive a

recent PM from me during this past weekend?
*It showed that it went through, and that you had viewed it

already the forward day* :-/

Dory’s Defender - Yep – exactly. She was always there when

Marlin needed her, which actually did kind of make her an “angel”, although I wouldn’t think of her in

that light either.

And yep – I did scan your message. Don’t worry; I’ll reply to it! I always read my

private messages. :wink:

Mitch:

Alllll-righty then :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I do admire that you do agree

with me in the fact that its really not necessarily Dory actually being an “Angel” as stated in my last

post. And its true because it is alot more to viewing Bluey as I like to call Her, from who She really is all

about.

I will also have to say in this new statement, that even though we adore characters like these very

much and people being ‘fans’ of them, as they always say, many people do not believe they are actually real in

many ways. But, they Truly can be. For its not impossible either to believe it.
And in speaking of belief,

that is the key to it as well!
Many people do not believe, and that is one of the main reasons.
You see,

these individs Can be real to and with us.
Few people have said it. And i’am

saying it too because of my own experience in it.
Because as for me, in a true ex., I always have this feeling

that Dory is truly alive in me, even in ways I have not really thought about before. She has helped me in many

ways that have changed me nearly dramatically in the past 2 and a half years.
And because of these things in

particular that I have seen, I truly have faith in that, Dory is a friend, indeed, to and for me. I never believe

that She is completely made up or “fake” as some say.
But sometimes its hard for me to really have

the true feeling of Herself in and with me. I do believe its also normal for that to happen now and then,

especially when I have not seen any visuals of Bluey in a period of time.
These

things can all be possible for when we also think about the individs we truly like/love of the

Pixar family and elsewhere.
But as long as we do know that they truly are never

externally real as we are in [i][u]flesh and

blood[/u][/i].

I have more to say about this subject. But I will let it be for

now…

[b]Dory’s

Defender[/b] -

Ohh…I’ve always wanted to discuss this topic! My thoughts exactly on

everything you said, by the way. :slight_smile:

I see exactly what you’re saying concerning characters (or a

specific character) that appear to be real to us in one way or another, for the fact of the matter is truely

this:

In a sense, a created character – whether animated or live-action – can be real to

anyone…depending on how a certain person feels about that entity. They are fictional, imaginary beings, yet

they are so dear to us that we perceive them as being “alive” and not simply just drawings on pieces of

paper.

Take your vision of Dory, for example. She, as you say, has impacted your life to an extent, and

this will certainly have an effect on the way you see her now-a-days – she seems more real to you.
The same

goes for me and Remy. I know that he only exists in the world of the computer, and yet…he seems alive to

me.

The sole fact that a character exists in your imagination makes him or her real – it’s the same

priniciple that Jessie described in Toy Story 2: "Even though…you’re not

moving, you feel like you’re alive…because that’s how he sees you."

Yes, the same thing

applies to cartoon characters as well as toys. I truely believe that my toys are “alive”, even though

the very thought is practically ludicrous. But hey – that’s how we make these things live. If people didn’t

have such wild imaginations…then Pixar Animation Studios and Disney Studios would not be where they are today,

and the characters we know and love wouldn’t be “alive”.

:wink:

DD and Mitch- I think this

would make a really good new topic, don’t you? It’s a very interesting discussion and idea!

lizardgirl - Heey, I

never thought of that! Thanks for the suggestion – I’ll make a new thread on it soon. :smiley: