Pixar Planet Awards 2009 - Suggestions/General Discussion

Last year The Star Swordsman and I co-organised the first ever Pixar Planet Awards, with nominees and award recipients being recognised as voted by you, the members. If this were to happen again this year, I would like to have more time than last year so you would have about 3 weeks each for both voting and nominating, ideally longer than that.

Here are all of the categories we had for last year’s awards:

Best Member
Best New Member of 2008
Friendliest Member
Funniest Member
Most Informative Member
Member You Would Most Like to Meet in Person
Member Most Likely to Get a Job at Pixar
Craziest Pixar Fan
Best Moderator or Administrator

Best Signature
Best Avatar

Best Video Maker
Best Graphics and Icons Maker
Best Fan Fiction Writer
Best Artist - Traditional
Best Artist - Other
Best Overall Artist

Best Video
Best Fan Fiction
Best Artwork
Best Artwork - Other Category
Favorite Fandom Medium

Best Non-Pixar Artwork
Best Non-Pixar Artist

Best Game
Best Thread
Best Thread Starter

The only new category I could think of would be “Best Fan Commentary”, but I’m still not sure about that one yet, because I don’t know how many members would listen to all of the commentaries to be able to make an informed decision. We’ll throw that one in the ‘maybe’ pile. :wink:

Are there any different categories that you would want to suggest for the 2009 awards? What would you want to see done differently this time? How many members here would be interested in nominating and voting? Feel free to discuss any aspect of the awards this year, too. We don’t make any guarantees to include every new category here, especially as we’re happy with the categories last year, but we will take any suggestions for improvement into consideration.

Thanks! :smiley:

Those categories cover a lot, I don’t know if I can think of more.
This is pretty cool, how does this whole thing work? Are we gonna end up posting our nominees/votes in this thread, or should we PM them to somebody? Also, when does it officially start? I’d heard about this, but I’m excited to get to see it!

Yay! I’m glad you’re bringing this back for a second run! I thought it worked well last year so I can’t think of any kind of changes that could be made.

As an example, here are the 2008 Pixar Planet Award threads that are situated in the archives, so if you read them you can get an idea of the rules and procedures that we used last time:

Pixar Planet Awards (proposal and discussion thread)

Pixar Planet Awards - For Your Consideration

Pixar Planet Awards - Nominations (Rules and Categories)

Pixar Planet Awards - Finalists and Rules for Voting

Pixar Planet Awards - Winners

I’m not sure yet when the nominations or voting will start, but the awards should be finished and handed out by mid-December, hopefully. I want to keep this thread open for a few weeks to one month so everyone can have their say, which is why I’m posting this thread now. :wink:

Yay!!!

Cool beans! I’ll admit the idea of ‘Best Fan Commentary’ is a little difficult to judge, but maybe ‘Best Fan Commentator’ can be considered? People who think they commented considerably well on any one particular commentary can submit it as a ‘For Your Consideration’. Other than that, I can’t think of any…

I do have a suggestion, though. Instead of announcing the results mid-December, we could do it Oscars-style, with the ‘awards ceremony’ mid-Jan/Feb. That way, you give people more time to turn in fanwork during the Christmas holidays, right up till the last day of 2009 (so that we can truly consider this ‘The Best of 2009’, instead of ‘The Best of 2009 till mid-December’. The deadline for submissions would be 31st December.

So here’s a suggestion on how to plan it out:

31st December - Deadline for all submissions to be considered for 2009 Awards. Any work made after this date cannot be submitted for consideration or be nominated.

First Monday of January until second Sunday of January (2 weeks) - Posting of ‘For Your Consideration’ and nominations for categories

Third week of January - Nominations tally

Fourth Monday of January until first Sunday of February (2 weeks) - Voting for categories

Second week of February - Voting tally

Second Sunday of February - Awards night!

The reason I prolong the nomination and voting period from the standard 1 week to a fortnight is to allow more casual users who log on intermittently or members who are on vacation more time to get their votes in. That way, we get a more representative figure for the winner.

And regarding, the Awards night, we could arrange it like the Commentaries, and do it like a live Telecast! Have one or two hosts, announcement of nominees, drum rolls, and the unopening of the sealed envelope! We gotta try to get as many members to attend, and we can have acceptance speeches and all that! Peter or any one of us can record the event for posterity. Sounds like a cool idea? :smiley:

Haha, I like the way that sounds TDIT, I’d love to come to that! We could have Wall•E do the drumroll, then,…

TA-DA!!! :smiley:

It’d be great. Plus, your deadlines gives me a chance to get an Up commentary done, although it’d have to be a solo commentary. Nevertheless, I’d probably try for it! I think it’s a brilliant idea. The only problem I can think of is getting enough people to join in the telecast, and having enough winners there for acceptance. We’ll see!

I’m pleased that we’re having these awards again! They worked very well last year and though it’ll be difficult to improve on them, I love thedriveintheatre’s suggestions, especially the live telecast. Even if not everyone manages to ‘attend’, it’d still be great fun.

That would be awesome! It would probably make people feel a lot better when they won :wink: another category I think we should have (if it isn’t too much trouble) is the best new member of the year! :smiley: any body who joined between January 1st- December 31st! That would be awesome! :wink:

and maybe biggest Disney fan? I know there are a lot of us on these boards…

Some of these awards I have a feeling I’ll be nominated for . . . I probably just jinxed myself right there. XD But winning one . . . Let’s just say I’d be really lucky! For there are some great people on these boards that deserve these awards more than I do, let me tell you that! :wink:

And woody, they already have an award for that: Best New Member of 2009 (even though last year it was 2008)

I think the idea of doing a live pseudo-award show is a really good idea. If not that than maybe a special episode of Radio Pixar of something?

I really don’t have any suggestions for other awards, I think you guys have really got it covered.

I doubt I’ll win anything, even despite I’m a newbie with a video, but it’s still a nice idea. :slight_smile:

Everyone has a chance to be nominated for something. And besides, it doesn’t matter if you win or not. The fact that you got nominated is rewarding enough.

Very true sir.I have quite a few people in mind for nominations. :wink: Can’t wait to see this take off!

ffdude1906: Haha, yeah me too - I’ve been working on a nomination list since February! :laughing: I’ll need to narrow it down here soon, but it just goes to show you I’ve been so uber excited for this all year! :smiley:

little chef

I’m glad you like my suggestion, guys. :slight_smile: I kinda agree with DocKenobi’s ‘pseudo-live’ idea, that sounds more feasible. Whaddya think, organisers? Well, we can put this up to a vote or shelve it aside when the time is nearer…

I’m a supporter of the ‘wait till end of year’ approach, cos’ I have so many cool fanwork ideas, but I don’t have the time to execute them properly. I’m sure many of us who are busy at the moment with year-end assignments and what-not will agree. To those who have free time on their hands, this just gives them more time to churn out more fanwork before the deadline expires. I foresee I’ll have a couple more fanvids and fanart to ‘bring to fruition’ by year’s end, so I wonder what admins and other people think of this suggestion. It’d be a more holistic representation of ‘Best of 2009’ anyway.

oh, thanks for the heads up lightninganddoc :wink:

Wow this sounds pretty neat! I can’t wait to see this all come together!

Thanks for the feedback for the awards, everyone. All of it is much appreciated. =)

thedriveintheatre’s suggestion of handing out the 2009 awards in early 2010 does make sense. To be honest I thought having the ceremony at the end of the year would be a great way to cap off 2009, but I can see where you’re coming from. Ha-ha. A live telecast sounds really cool! If we could get a lot of people to turn up, that would be so awesome. These ideas have made me re-think the structure of the awards. I’ll think about it and talk with TSS to see how to plan it from there on. Thanks for suggestions, Andre!

If anyone else has any different suggestions, or would like to expand upon any already said, feel free to do so. :wink:

Thanks for taking my request under advisement, Rachel. :wink: