The REAL WALL-E Font (Gunship)

Why pay 20 bucks for a knock off font when the original font created back before 2005 is free for noncommercial use?

[url]http://www.dafont.com/font-comment.php?file=gunship[/url]

Somebody in the WALL-E Builder’s Group stumbled upon this gem. :smiley:

Thanks for that. It will come in handy for creating graphics. We may have to wait until the DVD comes out so we can compare the font to the end credits of the movie.

I think the font used for the “after 700 years…etc.” in the original teaser is the same as the title font or a variation of it (the W is pretty similar, though maybe a bit taller), and not all the characters from Gunship match, either.

Neither of them match perfectly. By using the custom preview on DaFont.com, you can see that Gunship’s interpunct isn’t rounded, and it has no bullet in its character set.

Personally, I prefer the way the other characters (other than W,A,L & E) are designed in the $20 font, and it’s in Opentype format, which is preferable to Truetype. It also has a more complete character set, and a circled character variety. Gunship contains no circled characters, so you’d have to add it in yourself.

That is true. There are no round parts. But I personally can’t stand paying for fonts, and I know some others can’t too, and this is a REALLY close and goos alternative IMO. I’ll gladly GIMP in the dots/red circles when I need them to save 20 bucks personally.

Understandable; but fonts take quite a lot of effort to create, if they’re to not look like crap, lol. There are many good free ones, though, and that looks like a pretty good free alternative to Galax-E. I don’t really like the design for the uppercase, J, K, Q, or R and lowercase k and q, though.

However, most professional fonts with a complete character set, and a number of different varieties (bold, italic, etc.) are quite pricey. $20 for that Galax-E font, with 4 different flavours included is a bargain.

The font Pixar uses for its logo (Charlemagne Bold) runs over $50 from Adobe, and it only comes in 2 varieties. There are many that are considerably more expensive.

That really isn’t a bad match at all, especially considering that it’s free! It might not have everything the $20 font does, but I guess you pay for what you get.

Thank you so much for posting this, Netbug009! :smiley:

This is useful, Thanks for posting this.

Welcome. ^^

I have to defend this font. Consider this: The GALAX-E font was only made recently, right? This font has been around since before 2005 I believe. My guess is this font, with some editing for the dots, was what Pixar originally used. If it’s good enough for PIXAR, it’s good enough for me. :slight_smile:

Nice Find NetBug009

This brings up an interesting question: does Pixar make their own fonts, or not?

I’d say Pixar would have designers that make their own fonts. As would Disney and other movie studios.

If you want good fonts, you have to buy them. If you are doing professional work you just can’t get away with using free fonts. GALAX•E is worth every penny, and is a bargain.

Pixar would certainly have people that design typefaces, for movie titles and so forth. The Lucasfilm logo, for instance, uses a custom design that you can’t replicate with any given font. Whether Pixar turns around and has an entire character set built around those designs, probably depends on whether they need one or not.

I’d think that most TV shows/movies can easily get away with using pre-existing commercial fonts, though; and most certainly do. Given Gunship was around long before the movie while GALAX•E, as stated by its own creator, was inspired by the film, it’s quite likely the WALL•E title font was at least based on Gunship or something similar. I wonder if there was a commercial font that Gunship was trying to emulate… or is it just so old that it’s now free, lol?

In any case, I gladly paid the $20 for GALAX•E; and a few of the other fonts from that designer, as well. I’ve certainly paid more for fonts in the past that I’ve gotten less use out of, so it was a bargain for me. And as I said, a few of the characters in Gunship don’t appeal to me and would’ve made my BURN•E signature look weird, lol.

Susan Bradley is the designer of most of the Pixar titles for feature films and shorts. Her latest work has been on WALL•E, The Pixar Story and Ratatouille. She took a break from Pixar to do such film titles as An Inconvinient Truth, Dark Water and the TV show, NUMB3RS. Previously she did Monsters, Inc., For the Birds, Toy Story 2, A Bug’s Life and Toy Story among other Disney films.
Here is her site: susan-bradley.com/index.htm
Her resume: susan-bradley.com/film.htm
And some sample film titles she’s designed: susan-bradley.com/film_graphics2.htm
As well as print samples (including the Pixar logo): susan-bradley.com/print_samples.htm

Thanks! Will use

That’s really cool that one person has designed so many titles! Cool links, martini.

Thanks for that, Martin! I never knew Pixar had a dedicated fonts/title designer.

For anyone that’s interested in other fonts used in the movie, I’m fairly certain that the BNL logo uses a slightly modified version of a Futura font… the closest match (that I can find, anyway) to the one used in the film being the Bitstream release of Futura Extra Black Italic. Adobe’s Extra Bold Oblique is probably second, but the R isn’t quite as good a match. No Futura that I’ve seen has an N quite as thick as the BNL logo, though, so I imagine that was altered slightly or the logo uses an iteration of Futura that I haven’t seen from a different foundry.

And the typeface used of the AXIOM lettering on the ship’s hull appears to be a font called Ethnocentric, the Truetype version of which is free and also available on DaFont.com. The Opentype version still costs money, apparently:

Atomic thanks for adding those new links, they will be very useful :slight_smile:

(saves!) That’s awesome! I love dafont.com, but having to go through the pages of font to find it is the tedious bit! Thank you!(=