TDIT's Cars One-Shots

~ [size=130]Forgiveness[/size] ~

“Hey Stickers!”

Lightning startled and knocked his rear bumper against a tire rack; he had been watching the news of his defeat on the plasma screens mounted in his pit-stop garage while the rest of his crew were tidying up outside. He reversed to see a baby blue Porsche – it was Sally.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she apologised. “Did I interrupt you with the…”

“Oh no, no… y-you scared me, Sal…”

His girlfriend flashed a coy grin. “I scared myself scaring you scaring me…”

Lightning groaned. “Ha-ha, you’re hilarious.”

The two cars looked at the screen: Brent Mustangburger , Darrell Waltrip, and David Hobbscap were having a spirited post-match analysis of Lightning’s surprise blunder during the first race.

“It looks like Lightning will have his work cut out for him in the next race in Porto Corsa. But let me tell ya, he’s one tough hombre…” Brent chatted enthusiastically.

“I don’t understand - Lightning had it in the bag. Why would he let Francesco pass him on the inside of that last turn before Rainbow Bridge? It just doesn’t make any sense,” remarked David, brows furrowed.

“If you observe him just before he made that move, he was talking to his pit chief. Something tells me he’s been given the wrong directions,” said Darrell. “Let’s look at the footage again…”

Lightning turned away from the screen and muted the TV, his eyes dark and narrowed.

Sally reached out a tire and touched his fender. “I overheard you talking to Mater…”

The red stock car didn’t say anything, but his lips were crinkled up in a scowl. Sally pressed on. “Hey, I know you are angry right now, and you have every right–”

“The hell I am!” he exploded, punching his tire against the wall – Sally gasped and withdrew her tire. A pregnant pause stretched between them, then he closed his eyes and muttered, “Sorry… I just…”

He looked at Sally, into her huge, turquoise eyes. They could see right through him. She was always perceptive, a good listener and ever ready to offer honest advice. He remembered how she was not afraid to speak her mind when she overheard him flippantly making that promise to take Mater on a helicopter ride; she was always willing to stick up for her friends. And she knew him all too well - he might as well just tell her what she already figured out.

He gave a deep sigh and turned away. “It’s just that… ever since Mater’s been on this trip, he’s been…” He waved his tire absently. “Him.”

Sally looked at Lightning intently. “What do you mean?”

“I mean he’s such an idiot!”

The word echoed in the silence of the garage. Lightning immediately felt a tinge of regret for describing his best friend as such, but he was too incensed to stop. “He’s… he’s been making a complete klutz since we got off the plane – giving a running commentary during the sumo match, making googly-eyes at Bernoulli… he didn’t know what wasabi was, or where Brazil is, or who’s Lewis Hamilton – he doesn’t know anything! And now he just ruined my first race, chasing some imaginary girlfriend and talking about karate demonstrations and all… that.”

Sally didn’t say a word during his outburst, she just regarded him quietly. Finally, after he finished his rant, she ventured slowly, “Lightning… Mater doesn’t know better. He’s never been outside the country before - he was trying his best to impress your fellow contestants, but… he just doesn’t know as much about the world as they do. It’s a good thing you stopped him from taking that mound of wasabi, I can’t imagine what would have…”

“He’s ignorant, that’s what he is! Not to mention he made a total fool of himself leaking oil…”

Sally grimaced. “I’ll admit, I didn’t see that one coming…”

“It’s not funny, Sal!” exclaimed Lightning. “He embarrassed me in front of everyone! I can’t believe I let him join us on this trip, I should have just left him back in Radiator Springs.”

“Did you mean it, Lightning? That you don’t want his help? That you don’t need him?”

“Yes! I mean – no, I mean… I don’t know!”

“Look, I know you’re mad that he cost you the race. It was unprofessional of him as your crew chief. But you shouldn’t have dismissed him and hurt his feelings like that.”

“Come on Sal, flamethrowers? Ninjas?”

“I’ll go have a talk with him, but that was no way to treat Mater like what you did just now. You know he gets hurt easily, and everyone makes mistakes. I’m sure he’s sorry and he’s probably feeling awful now. Mater has always stuck by you, and he’s your best friend…”

“Oh, for the love of Chrysl… Sally, I wish he wasn’t!”

Sally blinked and suddenly her eyes turned hard and moist. “Well, he’s my friend, Lightning. And no matter what you think of him - you’re his, too.”

She turned and drove out of the garage, leaving the race car alone.

I watched my much-anticipated sequel to one of my favourite Pixar movies, Cars 2, recently. While I enjoyed seeing the first movie’s characters again (along with the new ones) and the spy-themed shenanigans, I felt there was a distinct lack of ‘emotional moments’ compared to Pixar’s other movies. Now I understand that Lasseter and Lewis just wanted to cut loose and have some fun with a not-so-serious action flick, but that doesn’t mean that they couldn’t have included a few more character development scenes in lieu of all the confusing exposition and repetitive car chases. Like Rio, another movie I enjoyed on a personal but not objective level, it had a lot of wasted story potential.

So I thought I’d try and write how I would’ve done the plot, but rather than rewrite the entire script, I figured it would be easier and neater to suggest imaginary scenarios which didn’t take place in the movie, but would’ve made the various characters’ interactions and story arcs more meaningful and enriching.

This is the first of a trilogy of one-shot vignettes I will be releasing over the course of this weekend. ‘Forgiveness’ takes place after Lightning lost the first race and berated Mater for it, to the point of getting personal. I felt the way Pixar handled it had the scale tipped in favour of Mater. Lightning’s anger was not unwarranted; Mater basically acted inconsiderately and thoughtlessly throughout the whole movie to the point of being out-of-character (The Wasabi scene being a good example), yet Lightning is the one made to apologise, the message being “It’s okay to be a twat, if people didn’t accept it, then it’s they who need to change and not you.” This runs contrary to the moral of the first movie, which was “If you’re a twat, then you need to change for the better.”

So I rewrote it such that the Wasabi incident never happened, and added a few details to portray Mater as simply being naive and unsophisticated in front of Lightning’s friends, which is more forgiving and empathetic towards his character. I implied that he does make an effort to impress Lightning and his colleagues, but his ignorance about the world-at-large fails him. I also included Sally as part of his crew, because I felt it was a waste for them to leave the first film’s female protagonist out of most of the sequel when they could’ve used her as his ‘voice of conscience’ in lieu of Uncle Topolino (who I felt was an unnecessary character, although I liked his little tale of Luigi and Guido’s backstory).

Do comment and let me know what you think of my alternate version, and if you like it, Fave it! :slight_smile: If you didn’t like it or you thought I could’ve done better, let me know too (but keep your criticisms constructive!).

And regardless what you think, thanks for reading this! Look out for the 2nd one-shot tomorrow and the 3rd one on Sunday. :slight_smile:

Read on deviantART

It’s okay but it’s kinda bothersome how you make Lightning out to be a jerk, (And I know it’s because you don’t like Lightning)when Mater should’ve known in the first place…Mater may act like a dunce but he still has enough sense to know certian things…but I like how you hinted at the fact that Lightning has somewhat of a temper it’s funny me and another member were just talking about that…LOL…but I’m sick of people thinking Mater’s a perfect “Angel”…and everyone must bow to him and just except him…you know what? This is exactly why I hate Cars 2 in the first place…what you said about the movie. :angry: Honestly I wish Mater wasn’t Lightning’s best friend either…

I like this first one very much, TDIT! :smiley: Very interesting, and it seems like something Light and Sally would really say about Mater. Very entertaining. :smiley:

Well, [b:3sm0d6r3]TDIT[/b:3sm0d6r3], I love it! It’s very entertaining and realistic. I like the way you portrayed Lightning’s anger in this one and I could definitely see this happening in the movie (except for the "The hell I am!" or maybe the "idiot" part). I like those little things Sally said that made me think of the first [i:3sm0d6r3]Cars[/i:3sm0d6r3], like "I scared myself scaring you scaring me." or "I overheard you talking to Mater." Heehee, cute touch. :wink: I do like how you took out the Wasabi part and instead replaced it with him just being a goof to the other racers and such, I like it a lot better. I also thought the wasabi thing was too much, my face basically mirrored Lightning’s in that scene. :shock: LOL.

[i:3sm0d6r3]"Sally blinked and suddenly her eyes turned hard and moist. “Well, he’s my friend, Lightning. And no matter what you think of him - you’re his, too.”[/i:3sm0d6r3]

^^^I just love those last words that she gives him.

[quote="thedriveintheatre":3sm0d6r3] This runs contrary to the moral of the first movie, which was "If you’re a twat, then you need to change for the better." [/quote:3sm0d6r3]

Woah, I never thought of that. :shock: It completely does, good insight! :)

[quote="thedriveintheatre":3sm0d6r3] I also included Sally as part of his crew, because I felt it was a waste for them to leave the first film’s female protagonist out of most of the sequel when they could’ve used her as his ‘voice of conscience’ in lieu of Uncle Topolino (who I felt was an unnecessary character, although I liked his little tale of Luigi and Guido’s backstory). [/quote:3sm0d6r3]

Umm, tell me about it. :-\ Although Uncle Topolino was a cool character and he was kind of funny, it failed me why he was needed if they have someone like Sally they could of used. I think she would of been a better help to them since she actually [i:3sm0d6r3]knows[/i:3sm0d6r3] them and it seems like both Mater and Lightning think highly of her as a trustee.

I’m looking forward to your other two installments tomorrow and Sunday but so far, so great! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your comments everyone! It’s interesting how people took away different experiences from the same fanfic. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading, CarsLuver! Well, the movie also made Lightning out to be a jerk, but like you said, the movie actually gave him a valid reason to - No sane person (or car) would be able to tolerate Mater’s crazy antics at the dinner party. It was either a case of making Lightning a jerk and Mater being naive (thus giving Lightning a moral prerogative to be more forgiving towards his less intellectually-gifted friends, as Sally tried to suggest here), or making Mater a nutcase and giving Lightning a reason to be mad like the movie did.

The way I’m going with this is that Lightning’s moral arc would be “I need to be more forgiving of my friends, even if they are not as smart or sophisticated as me.” And Mater’s moral arc would be “I don’t need to pretend to be smart or sophisticated, I just need to be myself.” The movie tried to to do that, but they smashed any integrity and decency Mater had with the wasabi scene, along with his casual attitude towards espionage (which I will actually address in my next one-shot).

I actually like Lightning, but if it was between the movie’s message of “All hail Mater, he may act like a crazy loony, but that’s alright, he doesn’t need to change” and my suggested version of “Mater might be naive and simple, but at least he tries to impress Lightning”, I humbly feel mine makes more sense. And, of course, Lightning will come round to forgiving Mater in the end of my version, he doesn’t remain a jerk forever.

And yeah, I agree with you that Mater got away with too much in the second movie. That’s why I was so disappointed with his character arc, which is practically non-existent; he remains the same dopey character he was in the beginning at the end, and doesn’t feel sorry about it.

Thanks for the compliments, IV! :slight_smile: Were there any areas you didn’t like, or which you thought I could improve?

Thanks for the other compliments, SallyMcQueen! Yeah, I actually kept rereading those parts and wondered if he was being out of character. I started with “hell” and then went to a softer “heck”, then it felt weird for an outburst where he wouldn’t self-censor himself, so I went back to “hell” (Haha, to hell and back). I also had him say “Godd***it” at the “I wish he wasn’t my friend” line, but decided to go with the canon-Cars euphemism “For the love of Chrysler”. :slight_smile: I reasoned that he was in the heat of the moment after his devastating loss in the first race, so he couldn’t care less about what he said.

I actually had to rewatch that scene, but yeah, glad you noticed, I thought it might be good to reference that scene since my imagined scenario bears similarities in Sally confronting Lightning about his words, sticking up for Mater, etc.

Yeah… I was so shocked when Pixar did that, and any empathy or sympathy for Mater went out the window. Mater may be a dummy, but he’s not that dumb. To quote an unpolitically-correct line from Robert Downey Jr.'s character in Tropic Thunder, “Never go full retard.”

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. Seeing as there were a lot of fans of Sally from the first film, I’m disappointed the Pixarians didn’t take the opportunity to use her fruitfully as a confidante to Lightning, instead including yet another new character to their already huge cast. Again, I mentioned the only reason I liked Topolino was because he provided an interesting exposition about Luigi and Guido’s backstory, but they could’ve got Luigi and Guido to tell the same story! :unamused:

Look out for the second installment tonight - starring Mater and a certain old debonair secret agent… :wink:

Nice job with this TDIT! I’ll be looking forward to the rest of it. I can understand why you decided to make Lightning a bit of a jerk since he did act like it after the Tokoyo Race in the movie. Oh, I saw your Brave trailer that you posted on Youtube. I liked the music that you added to it but I thought the narration could of been a little bit louder to fit in with the music. All in all, Great job!

Thank you, Ballboi! Glad you understood my intentions - I felt Pixar intended Lightning to be the ‘antagonist’ in Cars 2, so if they wanted to make him so, they might as well have not given him a reason to act the way he did! By virtue of the fact that Mater acted so inconsiderately, I actually had to side with Lightning in the movie!

Oh, and thanks for watching the Brave trailer. When I was editing it, I also thought it was a bit loud, but I couldn’t isolate the voiceover from the trailer’s original background music, so I had to ‘drown it out’ with my added music. It was a tricky balance between increasing the trailer’s audio and risk the original background music popping through my added music. At some parts (like when the bear growls and you hear this very loud drum beat), I even had to mute the original audio!

But yeah, thanks for your feedback, and I will take that on for my future fan videos! :slight_smile:

~[size=130]Trust[/size]~

“I can’t believe you blew our cover in Porto Corsa!” Holley erupted. “Now Z will know we are watching him and he’s going to be prepared for the next race in London!”

“Aw, I’m sorry, Miss Shiftwell… I just thought I could help you guys bring in Professor Z…” mumbled Mater.

“You call that helping? I know you Yanks perform ‘extraordinary renditions’ all the time, but going all Rambo with no backup? You were lucky the Professor didn’t shoot you first! Holding an entire boardroom of sixteen armed cars hostage, alone? You just… What were you thinking!?!”

Mater had to admit, that wasn’t his smartest move. It was an impromptu decision after he heard the lemons’ plan to kill Lightning while he was undercover as one of their tow trucks. The scene happened so fast - he remembered panicking and foolishly deciding to abduct Professor Z on the spot. So he revealed himself as a secret agent, thinking the lemons would surrender and he could escape with Z in his custody.

He overestimated himself.

Needless to say, upon his identification and announcing his demand for the lemons to hand over Professor Z, they merely laughed before producing their sidearms. Surrounded by muzzles, the clicking of bolts and hammers echoing in the ensuing silence, he could only think of one word to say:

“Dadgum.”

It was a good thing his voice-recognition software misheard his oath, for suddenly his double Gatling guns sprung from his sides. Before he could react, they immediately opened fire, causing the lemons to take cover and buying Mater enough time to make his escape by parachute. He then tried to warn Lightning, but Holley intercepted and immobilised him with her Taser before he could reach the stands. So far, he had survived the entire mission on luck alone, but he felt even that was soon running out.

“It’s just that I was so scared when they said they were gonna kill my friend, Lightning McQueen…” the tow truck answered, chewing his lip.

Holley’s jaw dropped. “So you weren’t joking then? Lightning McQueen really is your friend.”

“Well yeah, I, uh… met him on a previous assignment, and we’ve been best pals since,” Mater lied.

Holley clenched her teeth. “Is this a game to you?” Her eyes narrowed. “Are you even a real spy?”

Mater looked down at a spot on the carpet. Siddeley’s propellers murmured in the background as they crossed over the Swiss Alps, enroute to Britain. Ever since he discovered he had been mistaken for an American operative back at the Tokyo dinner party, he had been trying to keep up his act; partly because he’s always wanted to be a spy, and partly in the hope to impress Lightning with tales of his adventure afterwards. He was heartbroken after he was dismissed by his best friend because the race car didn’t believe his explanation for costing him the race. So he set out on this Quixotic quest to prove, not just to Lightning, but also to himself, that he could pass off as a smart and sophisticated secret agent. Not a dumb and ignorant tow-truck. Disappointingly, he was not having any success.

“Well?” pressed Holley. “I can run a background check and see if you show up on any of our databases…”

“That won’t be necessary, Miss Shiftwell,” interrupted Finn. “Mater here did what he could to the best of his ability - he has obtained the relevant intel we need about the Lemons’ plot and motive, and has displayed remarkable courage and resourcefulness in his aerial exit strategy. I’ll admit that contacting one of the racers about this operation is not the best idea…”

“He’s my friend, Mr McMissile. I had to warn him,” replied Mater petulantly.

“Of course, why don’t you tell him that you’re a spy, too? Or does he know that already?” Holley shot back.

“That will be enough, Miss Shiftwell. would you mind leaving us alone while I have a chat with Mater? Try running the recording of the Boss again and see if we can extract the original voice signal.” Finn gestured at the bank of monitors at the opposite end of the cabin.

Holley glared daggers at Mater before driving to a monitor at the farthest corner of the room and jabbing it in frustration. Finn gazed out the window at the fiery-orange evening sky while Mater shifted uneasily.

“Friendships can be dangerous in our line of work, Mater,” he said, breaking the silence. When Mater didn’t reply, he continued. “I don’t know how old you are, or how long you have been in the business. I have no idea what they taught you at Langley, or Quantico. But when I was in Gosport, the first rule they taught me was to trust no one – fide nominem. Not your enemies, not your fellow operatives, not even your boss. Number 3 of the Moscow Rules.”

Mater had heard this before from a spy movie. “Everyone is potentially under opposition control,” he quoted.

Finn turned and smiled. “Yes, Mater. There are only two things you can trust – yourself and the mission.”

“Now listen here, Mr McMissile…” began Mater, his tone defiant. “McQueen’s been my best buddy for five years now, and I have uh-socciates I’ve known longer. McQueen may not be perfect, but I know he’s got my back.”

“Does he, now?” questioned Finn, his eyes calm and emotionless. “I believe you were undercover as his crew chief during the Tokyo leg, but he abandoned you after you compromised his race during our meeting. You told me yourself while we were enroute to Paris, remember? It’s a good thing we picked you up in Narita before Z’s goons got to you.”

Mater blinked, lost for words. Finn looked at him curiously.

“You don’t mean to tell me that you felt bad over that?” he asked, barely concealing his surprise. He let out a deep sigh. “Mater, you can’t always count on your friends to be there when you need them. You can’t afford to be sentimental; your enemies can use any attachments you have with others against you. The job of a spy is a solitary and companionless vocation; our world of high stakes, compromised humanity, and questionable morality can be hard on our loved ones.”

For a moment, there was a distant look to the old British agent’s eyes. “I’ve lost many friends… most of them forever. I have witnessed some of them die in the most terrible and unimaginable ways, and part of me is thankful for the ones that I didn’t. The pain of seeing them suffer, and not being able to do a damn thing about it, keeps me up at night. Sometimes I question if I made the right choice to become a spy. It’s not glorious, it’s not beautiful, it’s not even heroic. You just carry out the mission you’ve been assigned to, and you get a paycheck and maybe a promotion if you succeed, and certain death or disavowment if you don’t.”

Finn reached out a tire and tentatively patted Mater on the side. “Erasmus once said, ‘War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it.’ I hope you know what you signed up for, old chap.”

The British agent wheeled away to check on Holley, leaving Mater to his own thoughts, as Siddeley cruised silently into the darkening night.

I watched my much-anticipated sequel to one of my favourite Pixar movies, Cars 2, recently. While I enjoyed seeing the first movie’s characters again (along with the new ones) and the spy-themed shenanigans, I felt there was a distinct lack of ‘emotional moments’ compared to Pixar’s other movies. Now I understand that Lasseter and Lewis just wanted to cut loose and have some fun with a not-so-serious action flick, but that doesn’t mean that they couldn’t have included a few more character development scenes in lieu of all the confusing exposition and repetitive car chases. Like Rio, another movie I enjoyed on a personal but not objective level, it had a lot of wasted story potential.

So I thought I’d try and write how I would’ve done the plot, but rather than rewrite the entire script, I figured it would be easier and neater to suggest imaginary scenarios which didn’t take place in the movie, but would’ve made the various characters’ interactions and story arcs more meaningful and enriching.

This is the second of a trilogy of one-shot vignettes I will be releasing over the course of this weekend. ‘Trust’ takes place after Mater’s infiltration sequence of the Lemons’ meeting at Porto Corsa. I felt Mater, for the most part of the movie, simply went along with his mistaken identity of being a spy in a nonchalant, passive manner. I felt it would’ve been more powerful and emotive if he actually set out to prove to himself and Lightning that he was not as stupid as others think of him. Pixar tried to give him a self-confidence issue, but I felt they really could’ve fleshed it out more by having him purposely pretend to be a spy with the clear intention of being someone he was not (which was the intended theme anyway, of identity and putting on false pretenses).

In this imagined scenario, rather than have Mater stumbling out of the villains’ lair by sheer luck and serendipity, I had him be more proactive and actually attempt to abduct Professor Z as ransom to save Lightning. I left the accidental machine gun activation and parachute deployment in, but had Holley intercept him instead of the movie’s version of him being kidnapped and suddenly awakening in Big Bentley. This nicely segues into a confrontation between Holley and Mater on their way to London, which is the lowest point of the script, when the hero is at his weakest and just beginning to get a glimpse of the way out. It is also the lowest point of his relationship with Holley; she calls him out as a fraud. This is not out-of-character for her, since she’s already displayed her exasperation at Mater’s antics before. Finn, being more level-headed and accepting, decides to give Mater a ‘grown-up’ talk about the dangers of being a spy, and how the greatest cost is not being able to trust and rely on anyone else. This was something I felt was not explored enough in the movie, and an important lesson I wished Mater had learnt and that the audience fully appreciated.

As for how this leads to the Big Bentley climax, it would’ve been easy to write a simple ‘divide and conquer’ kidnapping sequence like what happened in Porto Corsa in the movie - they arrive in London and perform a recon operation. You know, Finn separates from Holley to talk to Scotland Yard, while Holley investigates the stands, leaving Mater with Siddeley… Mater escapes to warn Lightning… each of them get knocked out by Z’s henchmen in a different manner… you get the drift.

And yes, I borrowed the “It’s not glorious…” line from Ezylryb in Legend of the Guardians. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do comment and let me know what you think of my alternate version, and if you like it, Fave it! If you didn’t like it or you thought I could’ve done better, let me know too (but keep your criticisms constructive!).

And regardless what you think, thanks for reading this! Look out for the final one-shot on Sunday.

Read on deviantART

Nice job TDIT! I liked how you made Holley a suspicious and skeptical character that wants Mater to confess that he isn’t a secret agent. Finn acting like this cool honest character was pretty cool to. I think this would of been a better conclusion leading up to [spoil]the Big Bently Climax.[/spoil]

He never was acting like one… :neutral_face:

TDIT: I really like the second one,and the frendship part with Finn McMissile was wonderfull!! This is exactly what could’ve been put in to add to his character…

Well, its been a while since I’ve seen Cars 2 so I have a pretty bad memory on some things that happened in the movie. I do remember that they got into the arguement after the Tokyo race. I guess I must of said that because Lightning was pretty mad at Mater after the first race.

TDIT: I thoroughly enjoyed this one! :smiley: I also think this would of been a better lead-up to Big Bentley; the scene where Mater tries to warn McQueen and gets kidnapped never settled with me and always felt iffy. I find it in-character that Holley would reprimand Mater like that; I think at one point or another she would of just had enough with his antics (especially since she thought he was a real spy). Just the fact that Mater would try and hold someone hostage, LOL. :laughing: Mater’s reasons for going along with the spy thing-to impress- is interesting and a totally different way of looking at the concept. I like how Finn talked about what’s it really like to be a spy; I think that’s something Finn could of said in the movie-to explain to Mater that it’s not a game. Looking forward to the final installment tomorrow! :mrgreen:

~[size=130]Redemption[/size]~

“Mater, I want you to stay here with Miss Shiftwell until the EMS arrives. I’ll order SO14 and Metropol to evacuate and cordon the pit area without alerting the lemons, then I’m going after the Professor,” Finn barked to Mater as they shook off the remaining strands of rope.

After they were tied up by Grem and Acer and left to be crushed by Big Bentley’s giant cogs, Mater had freed himself by using his machine gun turrets to saw through his own bonds. Finn and Holley had also narrowly escaped death “in the nick of time”, as Finn aptly put it, thanks to Holley’s quick thinking – she used her Taser clips to short-circuit the clock’s motor, reversing its polarity and causing the gear they were tied on to turn backwards. The teeth of the gear behind them severed their ropes, and they both leapt to safety on opposite ends of the catwalk. Unfortunately, the teeth had crushed Holley’s trunk before she could get clear, and she barely managed to pull herself free; the Jaguar now lay splayed on the catwalk, with her rear bumper crumpled and oil bleeding from her sides. It was a dreadful sight, but she was facing it bravely even as her life slowly ebbed out of her onto the cold steel platform.

The Aston Martin peeled off, racing towards the service elevator, while Mater quietly settled next to the violet sports car. He tried hard to maintain a calm composure; he had to be strong - she was going to make it, the ambulance will arrive soon, and Finn, he will keep Lightning out of the pit and defuse the bomb and stop Professor Z… everything was going to be fine. Everything was going to be okay, if he just… oh, who was he kidding?

This was all his fault.

The tow truck couldn’t hold back the tears any longer, and he began to sob quietly. He shouldn’t have lied; none of this would’ve happened if he had simply told them the truth: That he was not a secret agent, that he was just some stupid small-town hick who knew nothing about the world. He couldn’t make new friends, he couldn’t even save the ones he had. And because of this foolish masquerade, Holley was going to die, and Finn will probably perish too, along with his best pal and all his friends from Radiator Springs. He had deceived everyone, even himself, and they were going to pay for his grand delusion. He could see it now, the pit in flames, the burning corpses, Professor Z laughing triumphantly, a glorious international event transformed into a nightmarish tragedy.

Then he felt a tire on his side, right over the dent he refused to smooth over. He turned and saw Holley’s soft jade eyes staring at him, and he remembered how mesmerised he was by her radiant face when they was flying to Paris.

“Did you mean it? Is Lightning McQueen really your friend?” she whispered.

The tow truck nodded wordlessly.

“Then what are you waiting for? Go save him.”

Mater shook his head. “Miss Shiftwell… I… I’m not a spy." He waited for her to react with horror, or anger, but if she felt anything, she didn’t show it. "If I go and rescue Lightning, I might end up killing him.”

“Finn can’t do it alone, Mater. He needs your help to stop Z once and for all.”

“I told you, Miss Shiftwell! I’m not a spy!” Mater rounded on her. “I hurt everyone I help, I’ve lost all my friends, I almost got you - and Finn, killed… I’m just a tow-truck! A stupid, useless, hillbilly, redneck… stupid, useless, tow truck!” he shouted.

For a few tense seconds, Holley didn’t say anything, their faces inches apart. Then she leaned forward and kissed him.

Mater was caught by surprise, but he didn’t pull back, willfully surrendering to her luscious lips. Dadgum, he thought, they’re so smooth and tender, like a scoop of Flo’s antifreeze ice-cream on a lazy afternoon… only, much warmer… and sweeter. All his anger and self-pity dissolved into sheer bliss; the fear, the pain, the regret… all of them melting away into nothingness. For one brief moment, he felt safe, her beautiful eyes comforting him. After awhile, they parted, and she looked at him squarely in the eyes.

“I know you’re not a spy, Mater. You’re a tow-truck. But you’re the kindest, bravest, most honest tow truck I’ve ever known.”

“You… you think so, Miss Shiftwell?” he croaked, his mouth agape.

“With all my heart. You helped Finn and I identify the engine parts in the Boss’ photo. You stood between me and Tomber when he tried to attack me. You foolishly, foolishly attempted to kidnap Z as collateral to protect Lightning, risking your own life to save your friend. And you are a horrible liar - I knew from the moment I met you that you could never be a real agent.”

“Oh…?” Mater said, crestfallen.

“Yeah, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Mater, even though we’ve barely met, if you’re the car I know, you’d help someone when they need you, whether or not they consider you as their friend.”

“What if I screw up again? What if I can’t defeat Professor Z and I… you…”

“We all make mistakes, Mater. What matters is that we learn from them, and do better next time.”

“There won’t be a next time if Lightning dies!” He squeezed his eyes shut. “Or me, for that matter.”

Holley reached out both of her front tires and tenderly cradled the tow truck’s hood.

“Look at me, Mater. You can do this. You can either sit here and hope that Finn will make everything alright, or you can get out there and do what you do best. Helping a friend. Your best friend.”

Mater took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. She was right. He may be the fool, but he was no coward. He had to set things right, whether he was a spy or not. He slowly opened his eyes; they now burned with grim determination, as if a flame had been rekindled.

“But I can’t leave you here, Holley. Not like this.”

Holley smiled weakly. “I sent out an SOS to a friend of ours.”

Suddenly there was a low whistle, which slowly grew louder to a roar. The noise was coming from outside Big Bentley. Mater wheeled over to the clock face and popped one of the glass windows open. There was a gush of wind and for a brief moment, he could see Westminster Bridge stretching out across the murky Thames, with the city of London sprawling towards the overcast horizon. The air in front of him began to grow warm and misty - like a mirage in the desert, then out of the sky, a familiar face dropped into view.

“Siddeley!” cried the tow truck.

“Hey, Mater. Heard Holley got into a little trouble back there, need a lift?” the jet greeted them.

Mater looked to Holley, as if seeking her consent. “Miss Shiftwell…?”

“I’ll be fine, Mater. Siddeley will take me to the nearest hospital.” A smile crept across her face. “And please… call me Holley.”

She laid a tire on his dent again.

“I love you, Tow Mater. Save your friend. Save the world.”

The tow truck gently stroked her face, then he revved his engine, and rocketed away, tires squealing, while the sports car and jet watched him vanish into the shadows.

This is the third installment of a trilogy of one-shot vignettes I will be releasing over the course of this weekend. ‘Redemption’ takes place after Mater, Finn, and Holley escape from being crushed by the cogs of Big Bentley. I felt there was a real missed opportunity for the supporting characters to give the final push to the hero to confront his fears as he enters the climax. For Cars 2, Professor Z was not so much the villain as Mater’s own insecurity about his intelligence and abilities. I felt that Mater, through a combination of serendipity (going out-of-range of Z’s trigger remote just as he pressed the button) and a rather fuzzy sense of deductive reasoning (Seriously, he relied on a stereotype of British cars to come to the conclusion of the big villain’s identity), became the hero, without any effort on his part. He needed to undergo his moment of carthasis to ‘earn’ his redemption. There was something like that in the bomb-defusing sequence, but it wasn’t played hard enough (They could’ve made Lightning have a breakdown upon realising his best friend was going to die in front of him, but he was surprisingly calm).

I also added his failed kidnapping attempt in ‘Trust’ and an imaginary scene where he bravely defends Holley from Tomber’s attacks before Finn intervenes. I felt it would’ve made his character more courageous and forthright, so that when he condemns himself at his darkest hour, Holley can point out a few things that he had done that revealed his inner goodness. There were very few scenes where we actually saw Mater proactively do something brave or selfless that would prove he had what it takes for the climax; the only admirable thing he did in the movie was try to warn Lightning about the lemons’ plot.

Another point I changed in my scenario was to have Holley, who had doubted him throughout the entire movie, finally come to her own character’s ‘enlightenment’. No doubt the kiss I added would please many Mater x Holley shippers, but I felt it was necessary to demonstrate how deep their relationship had become at this juncture. I felt the romantic arc between Mater and Holley (if the Pixarians intended it that way) was poorly-developed. At least with movies like Kung Fu Panda 2 or Rango or even the first Cars, there’s a quiet interlude scene where the two romantic interests share ‘alone time’ together to reminisce about their past or discover more about each other. There was something like that in the ‘Dents’ scene (and probably the start of the melting of Holley’s heart towards Mater), but Finn was there as an observer, which kinda ruined the intimacy of the moment.

I felt there were very few ‘one-on-one’ dramatic moments, even between the male leads (except for Lightning’s “I don’t want your help!” outburst). In every Pixar movie, there’s always a character revelation or ‘Aha’ moment where we realise how deeply the protagonists love each other, the culmination of their romantic (or friendship) development in the story. The Incredibles had “I can’t lose you again”, Finding Nemo had “I don’t want to forget”, Monsters Inc had Sulley crying after he thought Boo was ‘cubed’, Wall-E had “(New) Directive”, Cars had “I hope you find what you’re looking for”, etc. It would’ve been fine if they had simply left Mater and Holley as spy partners or something, but since they wanted to so strongly imply a shipping, they should’ve given us something to work with at the climax instead of suddenly throwing us a “Let’s think of going steady” as an afterthought.

Oh, and just FYI, ‘antifreeze ice-cream’ is a canon creation - it was mentioned as one of Flo’s dishes at her diner in ‘The Winning Cup’ comic from the Official Cars Magazine. And SO14 is the Royal Family’s Close Protection Unit, sort of like the Secret Service for the POTUS. :wink:

Do comment and let me know what you think of my alternate version, and if you like it, Fave it! If you didn’t like it or you thought I could’ve done better, let me know too (but keep your criticisms constructive!).

And regardless what you think, thanks for reading this! I hope you enjoyed the trilogy and had a great weekend!

Read it on deviantART

I thought that you did a great job. I loved that you really made some great emotional moments. I also was pleased how you put Sally in the first alternate scene. I really enjoyed reading all three of them.

What a great way to end this, TDIT! I really like this one. :smiley: Although I feel like it wouldn’t have fit so well in the movie (just because of time), I think it was great and it should of been more important to have something of this effect in the story. I mean, they kissed! Awwwwwww. <3 I think Mater’s “transformation” was awesomely written. Overwall, amazing job on all three one-shots! :smiley:

You’re a very good writer, tdit. :slight_smile: I for one, was overall very satisfied with Cars 2, but these were interesting and fun to read, and it could have certainly worked out if Pixar decided to include something like this in the movie.

I’ve only read the first one so far but I liked it! You are great with writing dialogue tdit. I’ll have to read the others when I get a chance. :smiley:

So… I finally decided to sit down and read through these.

To sum it up, these three were pretty amazing re-imaginings and sound like could have been added in Cars 2. Very nice work!

And now, for individual reviews:

Forgiveness

It has been a long while since I’ve seen Cars 2. However, reading this story made me realize that there was a lack of Sally’s character, only appearing at the beginning (and mentioning Francesco’s open fenders), and again at the end with Lightning (at least, that’s all I remember of Sally). I’m glad that you added her into this scene, at least to have a conversation with Lightning about how he treated Mater; seriously, this could have been in the movie had she come along with them to the World Grand Prix. The way you wrote it is very mature and not childish, which is a very good thing, and sounds very much like something Pixar could have added. Very good story.

Trust

Ah, yes. Holley doubting whether Mater’s a real spy or not. The whole dialogue between Finn McMissile and Mater seemed pretty interesting and unique; I wouldn’t have even though of this before. I love how you mentioned places like Langley, Quantico, and Gosport, and your use of some Latin (fide nominem) makes it sound interesting and authentic. This is all pretty cool. One question I do have is if one of Finn’s lines happens to be referenced from Ratatouille, because it sounds like Remy’s dialogue, but with some words changed. Again, awesome job.

Redemption

I love how you expanded on the scene inside Big Bentley here, with a meaningful conversation between Mater and Holley. While part of it does sound like it could be a shipping fiction with some of the romantic descriptions, it is way beyond that. I love how Mater tells the truth and Holley forgives him, and she encourages him to go save Lightning. Another good scene that could have been in Cars 2. I also love how you gave Mater a vision of a villain victory; it helps make his remorse much stronger.

So, overall, these were amazing. I enjoyed them all.

And now, to look for other stories to review. :smiley:

Well, TDIT, I have mixed feelings about these. I hate to condone your creativity or anything, but you asked for constructive criticism… and I hope you accept it. Just for starters, I felt like Cars 2 is perfect as it is; one of the reasons that it’s so great is because Mr. Lasseter did what he truly wanted with it, and “if people don’t understand, it’s they who need to change, not Pixar”! However, I have been plenty guilty of coming up with little fan stories to stick in between bits of the movie, and I really have enjoyed seeing these possibilities. Bottom line, I thought they were extremely well-written and very good. So, what do I think of each one?
Forgiveness: I never thought that Lightning was necessarily being a total jerk to Mater in the film; the fight seemed exactly what Lightning, or maybe anyone would say in that situation. And that was a good thing, because when I first heard that their BFF-status would be strained in Cars 2, I was really worried how Pixar would put it together. Now, it’s almost hard for me to imagine McQueen quite that angry, I mean, I always thought of it sort of like Linguini’s “I’m not your puppet and you’re not my… puppet-controlling… guy!” argument in Ratatouille, in which, the anger would cool back down shortly and Lightning would regret it after not having the opporunity to apologize. So I was shocked to find Lightning in this stage, not that he couldn’t be; some of the arguments he had with Doc in the first film were pretty brutal. What I can say I really do like about it was having Sally in there. I really had no problem with Sally’s small roles in Cars 2; I believe that the first film and her scenes in Cars 2 were enough. But you know, I have no problems with extra SalLightning scenes!
Trust: Holley questioning Mater’s identity was something I had expected to be in Cars 2, and I was surprised to see that Holley’s “What kind of crazy spies do that? But I’m just a rookie, so maybe all experienced agents do this kind of thing…” thoughts to be mostly expressed rather quietly. But I could see this kind of thing happening. And funny thing about that discussion between Finn and Mater… OK, yes, I caught the Guardians reference :slight_smile:. But that’s not what I was going to say. Anyway, when Finn says “Friendships can be dangerous in our line of work” in the film, only on a recent viewing did I realize that his expression looked… somber (when I noticed that in the film I pretty much started crying). From what I gather from the Meet The Cars book, Finn and Leland (the unfortunate spy from the beginning of the movie) were extremely close friends, and I can imagine that Finn might be having some emotional issues concerning the fact that he just lost a friend and now he’s having a hard time not becoming friends with Mater and Holley. I honestly don’t see him as a “war-torn Ezlryb”, though. I’ve always seen him, personalitywise, as a cross between Anakin and Obi-Wan; a rulebreaker who’s more social and laid-back sometimes than he ought to be, and an experienced “soldier” who, despite all he’s seen and done, can still be a good friend and partner. But I always do wonder what Mater and Finn must’ve talked about, as growing friends.
Redemption: Holley getting injured probably would’ve been hard for me to watch, I’ll be honest. But having Holley uplift Mater like that… that was a great idea! Even though I’m perfectly content with leaving it at “Go get some more dents, Mater!”, I enjoyed seeing them having a deep conversation at a highly tense moment like this. And yessss… I’ll admit I might’ve started quivering with emotion when they kissed… the way you had Mater describe it made me laugh X3. So I have to say, this was the best of the three in my opinion. Great job!
The one thing I liked the least about the first two was the language. I know, I know, I’m weird about that. It’s just that Pixar’s films are extremely clean and I can’t really see that (I can at least thank you for not doing worse than that…). Otherwise, they were really well-done!