Lotso: Memoirs of Sunnyside's Autocrat

Chapter 1: Prologue

The thunder and lightening crashed in a dizzying show of light and sound, like an orchestra of the gods. However, Lotso was not in heaven. Hell would have been more appropriate. For Lotso, his time as a toy, loved and cherished by a single child, was over. Done, finished, kaput. They say that when toys are replaced, they start wandering endlessly, not knowing where to go. However, Lotso knew where he wanted to go. With his baggage of one toy baby and a soaked clown, the stuffed bear waded his way through puddles of water, dripping, into Sunnyside daycare. Now, Sunnyside was no ordinary daycare. Every so often, a toy would get out, share stories of the place. The tales were rare, but what did come out was not pleasant.

These rumours did not dissuade Lotso, however. To him, they were the ramblings of a mad toy, perhaps one that a toy played with too roughly. To Lotso, the terrors of Sunnyside were his ambrosia, his nectar. His heart, a burning coal within a shell of soft stuffing, could not be pierced by any child, no matter how young and unimaginative. To Lotso, Sunnyside was simply the means to an end. In his early days, Lotso was arrogant, selfish. While he retained the second quality well into his rule over Sunnyside, the first soon demised when a searchlight from Sunnyside, made its way onto his chest, and those of Big Baby and Chuckles.

Though Lotso’s heart was made of stuff colder than liquid nitrogen, he was inexperienced, and it took him too long to realize why those seeking lights watched him, so he continued towards the door of Sunnyside, ignoring the searchlights as they followed his path. Suddenly, he found himself at the door and could not get in. Repeating what he had done when looking into Daisy’s room; he climbed atop of Big Baby and used his paws to open the door. However, the door did not budge. A sudden clicking on the other side of the door tipped Lotso off balance and he fell off Big Baby, with the large infant losing its balance as well and falling on his back, and splashing into a puddle. When they looked up, the door had opened, and eight shapeless toy soldiers, carved of wood and holding fearsome looking rifles, their height around half of that of Lotso had come out. They stopped both Big Baby and Lotso from getting up by pinning their feet and hands. Lotso quietly resigned to his fate while Big Baby yelled and struggled, but it was of no use.

Two more soldiers had brought two planks with them and tied both Lotso and Big Baby, still pinned to the ground, to these boards. Four soldiers carried them in, while the other four addressed the remaining problem. Chuckles was trying to escape, running as fast as his little clown shoes could carry him. Unfortunately, the suction cup of a toy arrow stopped him, tied by string to a watchtower in the playground. Like Big Baby Chuckles struggled, weakly asking anyone for help, but he was, like the others, tied to a board and dragged inside by the remaining soldiers. Chuckles watched as the door, his one key to freedom, slammed shut, with such a sound as to make any man shrink back in fear. That would be the last time Chuckles, Lotso, and Big Baby saw freedom for twenty days.

The Faceless soldiers marched the imprisoned toys in unison towards…something. They could not exactly see where they were going, only that they were going somewhere. Big Baby continued to struggle senselessly. She was certainly dedicated to getting out. If only she had known that such acts of defiance were not allowed in Sunnyside. The trio entered a small, dark room. Lotso at this time was busily trying to figure out what was happening, where he was, and why, Big Baby was still struggling, and Chuckles was utterly silent. Lotso’s concerns soon became answered as he was placed down in this room, his board leaning on the wall. Without a struggle, his and Chuckles’ boards were pinned to the wall through two ropes at the bottom of the top of the boards. The soldiers did this in a machine-like, professional manner, not stumbling at all with the knots. However, Big Baby was putting up a fight, shifting constantly and rolling around to stop them from stabilising the board. After a few seconds of struggle, a few extra soldiers helped and managed to secure Big Baby, at which point two more soldiers appeared, carrying what appeared to be an unopened Jack-In-the box.

With a large ‘clank’, the Jack-In-the-Box landed on the floor and the two soldiers began to turn the handle. Slowly but surely the ominous music signalling the surprise pop out of the Jack-In-the Box began playing, at a laborious pace. Banging which appeared to be coming from inside the box it sped the soldiers up, and two more soldiers sped up the process. The music was playing at twice the speed now, and it even made Chuckles smirk a bit. However, The Clown’s momentary smirk fell off his painted face as the demonic song concluded and the figure within the box popped out. A large, smug, Jester, with a slight twitch of insanity, he surveyed the three toys, before clearing his throat. He had an odd voice, quite low and with an undercut of menace but cheerful enough to catch the naïve toy unawares.

“Well, well, I do believe we have three new arrivals.” He looked at the three toys one by one, starting at Lotso. He closed up on the plush bear, poking him with what appeared to be a sceptre. When he took the point of his sceptre and held up to his nose, his face was one of disgust.

Ugh!” He shouted at Lotso, “You smell filthy. Where have you been, the dump? That is no place for a Lotso-huggin-bear. Do you have the gall to smell so terrible in my presence?” The Jester asked. When he got no answer, he scoffed and continued to the next toy, who happened to be Chuckles. After surveying the clown, he pointed his sceptre at him.

“What’s your story, clown boy?” The mocking Jester asked the terrified Chuckles. After staring at him for a few tense seconds with no answer, Jester repeated himself.

“Well?” He demanded an answer from the clown. After a while of staring, Chuckles broke down.

“W-we just want a home, S-sir. We’ve been-” The Jester quieted his pleas mid-sentence with maniacal, satirical laughter. After a few minutes of laughing, he turned to the soldiers.

“You hear that boys? He just wants a home. Maybe we should send off to play with his owner?” He sarcastically asked the toy soldiers who also began laughing. After he had finished his mocking, the Jester turned dead serious as he came up close to the shivering Chuckles.

“This is your home, clown boy. In addition, it is going to be your home for a long time. If I hear so much as a peep out of any of you about how lovely your old homes are, you’ll all be serving time in the arena.” The Jester announced to the three stricken toys as he turned to the last toy, Big Baby. Looking at the large, confused and still struggling doll, he closed up on her. However, when he opened his mouth to say something sarcastic and emotionally damaging about Big Baby, he was head butted by the determined doll. Falling backwards, partially from shock and partially from the fact that Big Baby was a quite strong head butter, he struggled to get up. After help from the soldiers, he was in a steaming rage. Staring at the Doll, his eyes like vengeful infernos, he lifted his hand, but stopped himself. Releasing his fury at that second, he calmed himself and turned to the soldiers.

“Give this Baby a night in solitary confinement. I want her close to the other toys. Helps break her resolve when all the toys are hounding on her. As for the rest of these fools, I want them assigned to Cell A and B, respectively.” He said coldly. With that, he walked back to the two soldiers who had been carrying him previously and went back into his box. The soldiers then carried the despicable Jack-in-the-box back to his surveillance room, while the six soldiers originally carrying the three toys did so again, after untying them.

The three toys knew from the beginning, as soon as they laid eyes on the Jester, that this would not be a joy ride of any sort, but they could not have possibly prepared for what awaited them. Tonight was to be the most terrifying night of their lives. Gone was the warm bed of Daisy. In hindsight even, the cold streets were better than what was coming. This night was to be the longest of their lives, burned into their minds like a heated brand onto a cow.

Comments or Criticism? I’ll have the next update up tomorrow.

Here’s a new chapter. Chatter telephone is going to be narrating the story, so his comments in italics are to be expected, to avoid confusion.

“When we first laid eyes on the three of them we didn’t think much of them. Big baby looked strong, but emotionally fragile, and a lot of us boys placed bets on her. Next was Chuckles, the shivering little clown. His jittering caught our attention, and Sparks placed his bets on him. Finally, Lotso came out. He looked tough, but I thought he was a regular paper tiger. Boy was I wrong. You see, every time we get new cellmates, one of them always cracks on the first night and gets a beating. We have turned it into a bit of a sport, actually. Generally, we take bets using raffle tickets. Every day we get a raffle ticket with a certain number on it and ten lucky toys with the right numbers get to stay in the butterfly room for a week. This happens every three months so we generally stockpile massive amounts of this little raffle tickets and use them for betting. I bet on Lotso that night. I didn‘t know it yet, but I lost some raffle ticket that fine evening.”

The march of soldiers caused a bit of a ruckus in the cells as many prisoners mocked the guards and talked with themselves. Each cell had five toys in them, which often developed close relationships and kinships. Chatter-Telephone shared a cell with Stretch the Octopus, Chunk, Sparks, and Bookworm. Each of the Cell 6 gang had their own special skills, which they made us of in the harsh Sunnyside environment. Chatter was the leader, and a skilled spotter in his own right. Stretch, was, well, stretchy, and the voice of reason in the group. Chunk was the brawn, often helping the cell out with brute force. Sparks was a toy that was essentially a utility belt, and helped the group as a supporting fighter when they had to get their way out of trouble. Finally, Bookworm was the brains of the group, and could find any information they could ever need. While Stretch was the more charismatic, negotiating type, Bookworm had a library of manuals and catalogues, more than the prison could imagine. The cells themselves were large cages where all the toys of Sunnyside spent their nights, excluding Jester and the soldiers.

When Big Baby, Lotso, and Chuckles lined up on the wall, tied to their planks, betting and chanting began. New toys were offensively referred to as ‘Toddler Fodder’ as they tended to break easily and quickly, as well as doing more work in the Caterpillar room than most hardened toys did. In cell Six, the hysteria over betting caused quite a stir. Bookworm, who generally stayed out of the bets, kept check of what everyone was betting and for which toy.

“I’ll bet…Twenty on the Baby.” Stretch announced to the group. Grumbles and laughs resonated from the toys.

“Alright then, missy. I’ll bet…forty on that clown.” Sparks told his fellow cellmates, placing a bail of raffle tickets in the center of a makeshift clearing created for the gambling. While Bookworm wrote everything down on a large notebook he had for just such an occasion, everyone stared at Chatter. Chunk stayed out of these gambling games after he lost some one hundred and twenty-raffle tickets to Stretch, who won a whole month in the Butterfly room. Chatter thought for a few minutes while everyone watched the three toys being placed in their respective cells.

“I’ll bet a full 60 on the big purple bear.” Chatter proudly said, placing a massive bail of tickets in the middle of the gambling area. The number was abnormal and many were surprised at Chatter; normally, he played more cautiously. The main reason for his high wager was that boredom had overtaken cautiousness in his head, and he wanted to get into the butterfly room again, desperately. The caterpillar room was wearing him out immensely, more so than many of the other toys.

Shouting from the soldiers broke Chatter out of his personal justifications. It seemed as though the soldiers were giving the talk. The talk was a large rant that the Chief Guard, Hannon, gave to the new toys. Everyone quieted as he lined them up against the wall, still tied to their boards, and cleared his throat while the other soldiers watched the cells.

“Alright you splitting images of pieces of melted plastic, I am going to make something clear to you. You are now inside Sunnyside prison, and you are going to listen to the rules here or so help me I will send this bayonet so far into your stuffing that you will wish that you were at the caterpillar room! Is that clear?” He asked the three toys, who all nodded. Feeling satisfied, he continued.

“Rule number 1. You will listen to me and the other prison guards! If you disobey our orders, you will get no warning! We will take our bayonets, and you will end up in solitary confinement faster than you can say ‘It was a mistake’!” The chief took a breath before continuing.

“Rule number 2. You get up from your cells to morning stations at 6:00 AM! You will be woken by prison guard, and there will be a morning count! Anyone trying to get beauty sleep will be placed in solitary confinement. You all get back here at 7:00 PM! If I find so much as one person in your cell not here for evening count, your entire cell will have box cleanup duty for a week! Is that clear?” More nods urged the Chief to continue.

“Final, important rule. You do not get out of Sunnyside. The playground is off-limits to prisoners are 6:00 PM. Any escape attempts will be dealt with extreme prejudice. You’ll find the other rules out later. Is that understood, you balls of stuffing?” The soldier asked the three. They nodded, but the Chief caught the eye of Lotso.

“Hey, you, Teddy bear! Don’t look so goddamn smug, you dirty old fleabag! You’re in my prison.” The Chief yelled at Lotso, but the Bear did not change his expression at all. The Chief, angry that his mocking had not cracked Lotso, cursed under his breath and ordered the three toys to be taken to their respective cells.

“I want the Clown and the Bear in a single empty cell. Cell A6 will do. Now, that baby is going to be placed in solitary confinement. Put that damn thing in Cell B9, opposite to the rest of the cells. Make her cry.” The cold blooded Chief said, adding the last sentence with specific sadism. The soldiers followed his order, untying each of the toys and then forcing them into their designated cells. However, Big Baby’s cell was significantly smaller and darker than the others, designed for a single person. She was untied then dumped into the cell by way of the top hatch, which the soldiers closed after dropping in Big Baby. Then the soldiers lined up, with 4 soldiers on each cell block, doing a cell check.

“A block, clear!” One of the soldiers declared. The second and third soon confirmed their blocks were clear as well.

“B block, clear!”

“C block, clear!” With that the door shut closed and the lights in the room shut off. Silence soon engulfed the prison as everyone quieted down. In cell A6 Chuckles held the bars of the cage, looking back at Lotso, who had been silent the whole time. Anger flared in Chuckles, who felt that he had been cheated by the bear and Lotso had gotten them trapped into a nightmarish prison because of his personal ambitions. He held his anger back, however, as he felt that starting trouble on the first night In a prison was dangerous. In any case, a sound drew his attention.

“Hey there you big baby? What’s the matter, sad? Did your owner abandon you? Well too bad. You’re in a prison now, have fun trying to get out. What, you gonna cry now?” It was Stretch. She was trying to force the little doll. It provoked quite the response, with the Baby slamming itself against its cell and screaming. It made such a noise that it provoked the guards to come back into the cells.

“Alright, who’s making that goddamn noise?” The chief shouted in a rhetorical question, before noticing that it was in fact Big Baby. He walked over to the prisoner who was breaking down, and stood in front of Big Baby’s cell.

“Alright you piece of rubber, I’ll give you three seconds.” He counted down the numbers.

“3.” Bug Baby did not stop screaming and slamming itself against the cell.

“2.” There was no change in Big Baby’s attitude.

“1”. A truck had appeared, and it had two wires in toy harpoons attached to it, ominously waiting. Above in Cell Five(A5) the toys watched tensely. Stretch was very eager and she was about to get a lot of money, while Bookworm watched out of curiosity. When Big Baby did not stop screaming, Bookworm shook his head and sighed, and Stretch laughed, holding out two of her tentacles.

“Pay up boys, I got me a winner.” The Octopus demanded. Chatter and Sparks both grudgingly handed over their money, grunting under their breaths. On the ground, the two soldiers opened the cell when Big Baby refused to obey the Chief. Two wires grabbed a hold of Big Baby’s arms, while the Chief stared at the struggling infant toy in shame, and sadism. Without warning, he whipped the side of Big Baby’s face with the bayonet butt. When the Baby cried out in pain, he ripped off its hat and threw it on the ground, stomping on it. He then began poking through big Baby’s shirt, ripping it to pieces. After that, he finished off with a sweeping hit with his Bayonet butt, causing Big Baby’s head to spin around comically. After that he and the other soldiers pushed the Baby, now completely silent, into her cell, shut the door, and left speedily. The silence which permeated throughout the cells that night was terrifying. Lotso, however, failed Chatter. He never made a sound.

Comments, criticisms?