Mental Wounds Not Healing

Finally wrote another fanfiction. The title is a reference to Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train”. :slight_smile:

This first chapter, at least, also makes use of my Monsters, Inc. OC. :smiley:

[b]Mental Wounds Not Healing
A Monsters, Inc. Fanfiction

Chapter One[/b]

“Sulley?”

A monster with blue and purple fur stirred in his desk. Recognizing the nasal voice of his best friend, he pressed a button on his desk.

“Yes?”

“Some kid wants to ask you a few things for some school project of his. Do you want to take it?”

Sulley chucked. “Why not?”

While waiting in his office, he took note of all the awards he had accumulated over the years. You see, James P. Sullivan had started a revolution for energy harvesting for monsters. Beforehand, monsters had increasing difficulty getting energy by making children scream their lungs out. Now, however, they used laughs, which apparently were about 20 times as powerful as a single scream.

He was just looking at his latest award, “Monstropolis’ #1 CEO”, when he finally noticed his guest.

This kid, Sulley, estimated, was in his mid-teens. He heavily resembled a large blue snake, with red spikes on his back and the back of his head, as well as a pair of purple arms.

The kid stared at Sulley with pale green eyes, nervousness and anxiety made quite clear.

“Welcome,” Sulley calmly greeted.

It took a few seconds for the poor monsterling to find his voice. Sulley couldn’t help but feel sorry for him; rarely did he come across people this nervous.

“H-h-hi. M-my name is Reese Voight, a-and my class needs to do a report on a heroes of theirs. Mine last worked here, so I thought maybe I could ask you as the CEO about him?”

“Sure. Have a seat.”

Reese awkwardly placed himself on the seat opposite Sulley.

“First of all, which one of our legends is the one you want to do the report on?”

Reese hesitated, as if he had to name someone extremely unpopular for this.

Finally, he got it off his patterned chest: “My hero is Randall Boggs.”

Sulley’s smile was completely erased, replaced with a mix of fear and sorrow. The name belonged to a lizard monster that the CEO had committed a horrible crime on, back when the factory still relied on screams.

Reese was unusually quick to notice. He hung his head down, ashamed to bring up the name.

“I know he wasn’t popular, and that he disappeared a few years ago.” Reese then quickly got up. “I’m sorry. I’ll leave, now.”

“No, no, it’s fine.” Sulley reassured.

Reese could sense dishonesty, but he choose not to enquire.

“We still have his file, if you want me to read off of that, Reese.”

“Yes, please.”

Sulley headed went through the employee files, and he noted that Randall’s was filled with cobwebs, it hadn’t been touched in so long. As he went through the details of Randall’s employment, trying to explain things as simply as he could to an underage monster, he was becoming overcome with grief. He was learning about Randall Boggs at the same rate that this student was: the ex-scarer, apparently, was an orphan, and, possibly due to that, he had serious depression issues, including an attempted suicide. He also, apparently attended Monger High, which was well known in Monstropolis for the high bullying rate among students.

Why would my predecessor hire this person?, Sulley wondered to himself while trying to explain it to Reese.

Finally, to Sulley’s relief, he had gotten to the last of Randall’s profile.

Just before Reese left, Sulley stopped him. “What makes you hold so much respect for him?”

Reese hesitated again. “To me, he really helped give reptilian monsters hope to earn fame. And, that profile stuff, it never occurred to me how much he and I had in common.”

Reese bit his lip, realizing he said too much. “Please don’t tell the staff at Monger High I said that, okay?”

“Your secret’s safe with me.”

“Thank you.”

Reese left the room, Sulley now left to grieve for himself. For the first time in a long time, tears started to drip down his face. He couldn’t stand the guilt and shame: it was his fault that Reese’s idol may have died.

Nice start there :slight_smile:
It’s an interesting venture working with the “minority” bit. Although there are people who look up to Sullivan, there were also, and still also, those who looked up to Randall when he was on top before.

Thanks, Nexas! :smiley:

Yeah, Reese and Randall are both reptilians; plus, Randall WAS second best, even if that meant most people ignored him.

Yes I remember Reese.
And yeah that is true…though Randall wasn’t jealous or such…yeah it’s true that being second best in collection of over 2000 scarers isn’t half bad at all.

Exactly.

Chapter Two is now up! :smiley:

Chapter Two

Mary Gibbs glanced at the clock by her bed. It read 2:13 AM.

When in the world was Sulley going to be here? she thought to herself.

A few minutes later, the human girl’s door finally opened, and inside stepped the huge hairy monster.

“Hi, Kitty!” she exclaimed.

“Hey, Boo,” Sulley greeted.

Mary, however, noticed something wrong with Sulley; he seemed depressed, as opposed to just sensitive to her.

“Is everything alright, Kitty?”

Sulley sighed; he apparently was horrible at disguising feelings.

“Do you remember how we first met three years ago?”

Mary gave a puzzled look. “Yes. What about it?”

Sulley sighed again. “Do you remember the monster that used to scare you?”

“That slimy lizard guy? Yes. I REALLY appreciate you saving me from him.”

“That’s the problem.”

Mary’s eyes became complexed, then widened in fear.

“HE’S BACK!?!?”

Mary’s scream turned to be a mistake, however; immediately they heard a teenage male voice yell, “For God’s sake, Mary!!”

Sulley hid behind Mary’s bed just as a guy about ten years than her burst through the door.

“Do you REALLY think you can irritate your brother just because our parents are gone for the night!?”

“…no…”

“Then be quiet!!”

The teen started to head back to the door. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m listening to a Gary Numan concert live on my computer which will NOT rewind itself, and if I missed ‘Metal’, you’re dead!!”

The door slammed, and Sulley rose up from behind the bed.

“Who was that?”

“A jerk for my older brother, Roy,” Mary replied miserably.

“I’m sorry.”

An awkward silence emerged between them.

“So, the lizard is back, isn’t he?”

“No.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“Boo, if the authorities knew what I did to him, I’d be in jail,”

The revelation struck Mary like a thunderbolt. This whole time it had never occurred to her that what they did was illegal, even if the victim almost killed her. Sulley ended up spending the next hour or two trying to explain the horrors of their secret in ways she’d understand.

Meanwhile, Roy’s concert finished playing on his computer. Groggily, he turned it off, and, still in the mood, went to bed with his iPod mini playing “The Seed of a Lie”.

He tried dozing off to sleep, but something didn’t feel right, and it wasn’t the darkwave music he was listening to. He glanced around his bed, trying to reassure himself that nothing was wrong.

But then he noticed the closet door slowly creaking.

‘What the heck?,’ he thought. ‘I shut that stupid thing!’

But then he could’ve sworn he heard a wheeze. Now, for the first time in a long while, he was feeling quite scared. Rolling over in his bed over to his nighttable, he grabbed a flashlight out of a drawer, then, VERY slowly, forced himself to the closet door. He could feel the flashlight shaking in his hand, he was so nervous.

Finally, his hand was less than an inch from the doorknob. He swung it open and turned on the flashlight. It looked like a portion of the closet took unusually long to brighten up, almost as if there was a giant chameleon hiding itself. He swung at that portion of the closet as hard as he could, and then, to his horror, he felt like he hit an invisible force which now screamed in pain.

The shape, in its agony, revealed itself. Roy almost wet himself. It was a giant reptilian mass with purple and blue scales, several obscured with giant scars. Unusually paranoid lime-green eyes stared fearfully back at him, hands raised in a sentient-looking defensive position.

Roy was getting increasingly confused, wondering if this was a hallucination. Now he could see a mouth filled with sharp teeth forming the words “no”, and “please”. Was that a tear forming down one of the chameleon-like eyes?

Roy stayed in a faltering position, starting to pity whatever this thing was. Then, he regained posture and locked the door shut from the outside.

After duct-taping the door as well, he slowly headed back to bed. For hours he was unable to sleep, bug-eyed with the image of the creature playing over and over again in his head.

Fair addition. Interesting putting an older brother in there. Seems the two have a sort of “Sid and Molly” relationship :laughing:

Especially since Roy is more of the dark kind of person. :laughing:

Chapter Three

Roy slept for only a few hours, he was so perplexed by what he saw. When he woke up from the rest, he finally couldn’t take it anymore. Reluctantly, he started to get out of bed.

"Why is there duct tape on your door?” he heard Mary’s voice.

“None of your business. Now get lost!”

Turning around, he saw his sister walking away. Relieved that the coast was now clear, he started removing the tape from his closet door.

He spent several minutes staring at the door, wondering whether he should open it again. On one hand, paranormal stuff was not true at all, and it was late at night. On the other hand, it could be the last thing he did before it killed him with those teeth.

Finally, he made his decision. He garnered enough courage to open the door again.

Sure enough, there was still the reptilian creature on the floor, now covering his eyes from the blinding light of morning.

“What are you?” Roy asked, semi-rhetorically.

The reptilian creature stared at him, now with a cold, dumbfounded look.

“What do I look like?” he responded with an extremely coarse voice.

“Something not from Earth. That’s all I know.”

The creature gently nodded his head.

Roy sat down in front of the mass. “What’s your name, if you have one?”

He ignored the last part of the question. “Randall Boggs.”

“Why were you in my closet?”

“I was hiding.”

From who?”

“Everyone.”

“Why?”

Randall sighed in a mix of annoyance and grief. “Fine. You want the story out of me? I’ll tell you. Closets here work like portals to my world, where we use you to our electronics. Well, where I was concerned, I was one of the harvesters-”

“Scaring kids?”

“Let me finish! And yes.

“Anyway, I was one of the Scarers, and I was forced into a whole series of tragedies. I had to be involved with a conspiracy to kidnap children into our world, and I got hell for it. Meanwhile, my boss probably got it light. Happy now?”

Roy paused, uncertain what to say about Randall’s brutal honesty.

“You boss got it lighter, you think?”

“I wasn’t banished by the authorities, for one thing.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I deserve this.”

An awkward silence was broken after a few minutes when it was the creature’s turn to start a conversation: “Why didn’t you kill me?”

Roy gave a perplexed look. “What do you mean?”

“Everyone else is trying to kill me, human and non-human. Why aren’t you?”

Roy paused. “Well, for one thing, you don’t seem like you deserve to die.”

Randall started to make a retort, but then hesitated.

“You really mean that?” the lizard monster asked, his voice not as cold, now.

Roy nodded solemnly.

Randall lowered his head. “Thank you,” he mouthed.

Their conversation was interrupted by another voice.

“Roy! Will you get down here already like your sister!?”

Roy quickly got up. “I take it you’re going to continue drifting?”

Randall paused for a long time. “Nah, I’ll stay here.”

“…okay. Just make sure no one else sees you.”

“That won’t be a problem.”

Roy smiled at his first real friend, and then sprinted out of the room.

wow.
It’s really great so far!

Thank you, rockitpop! :smiley:

Well, this is very interesting. You’re doing a good job with this. Keep it up.

Thanks, geoff-uk1234! :smiley: I appreciate your taking the time to read this.

Chapter Four

Mike Wazowski was getting extremely concerned for his best friend. Sulley had never been this depressed since he thought Boo was out of their lives, forever. Sometimes he wouldn’t even want to get out of bed if Mike blew a fog horn right in his ear.

The reason for this unusual behavior mystified Mike even more: Randall was their ENEMY. He tried to kill them both. It made no sense how Sulley could just forget all of that.

Now he was at his lunch break inbetween laughing shifts, still pondering all this, only to stumble into a familiar monster.

“Reese?” Mike asked.

“Um, uh, have you seen your boss?”

“He should be in his office. Why?”

“Well, I just wanted to tell him the outcome of my project and thank him for his help.”

“Ah,” was all Mike could think of to say before he delved into his thoughts, again.

Reese gave a confused look to the top Laugher, then headed over to Sulley’s office. No one was there. Defeated, Reese was about to leave when he noticed another door partially open.

‘Wasn’t that door locked, last time?’ he thought to himself.

Curious, he opened the door further to see a badly-made closet door portal. The activation light was on.

Now getting increasingly weirded out, he checked to see what was behind this door. To his complete shock, he saw Sulley hugging a human child.

Randall thought he heard a scream of a teenage boy. Curious, but not excessively concerned, he turned himself invisible and headed out of Roy’s room.

The door opposite Roy’s was open, and what Randall saw inside made his rage take control of him. All the nightmarish memories came flooding back. Apparently, Roy was the older brother of the girl he had to risk killing, and Sulley was now illegally visiting her, most likely relishing over the lizard monster supposedly being dead.

The lizard monster turned all his aggression into the hardest blow he could muster into Sulley’s body. The hairy monster was hurled into the wall by the force of his enemy. Satisfied that Sulley was now knocked out, he turned to Mary.

“Disappointed to see me still alive, you brat!?”

Mary couldn’t think of a thing to say. She remained paralyzed on her bed, her eyes fearfully starting at the monster that used to scare her.

Reese, who had screamed earlier, watched all of this with a mix of fear and amazement, still at the closet doorway.

“What are you going to do?” Mary asked fearfully.

“Like I’m going to tell one of the freaks who tried to kill me!”

“What!?”

Randall spun around to see Reese. The adolescent snake monster now cowered into the closet, then realizing that his scream must have blown the circuits in the Monster World.

Randall noted the fear and misery ridden all over Reese. Slowly, he started regaining control of himself; he shouldn’t do what he wanted to, especially in front of children.

“I’m sorry you had to see me like that, kid,” Randall apologized gloomily.

Mary was tempted to beat the snot out of the lizard monster while he wasn’t looking at her, but this new side to Randall was holding her back.

Randall turned back to her, resuming a cold glare.

“I’m surprised you didn’t bother to try to rip my fronds off, again.”

“What is going on?” Reese exclaimed.

Almost right on cure, Roy entered the room, now asking himself the same question.

Sulley now had fully recovered from the blow, and he stared at Randall with a relieved look.

“You’re still alive?”

Randall became confused. “No thanks to you,” he retorted.

Reese and Roy spoke simultaneously: “I want answers!” They stared at each other, then Reese resumed. “What happened to you all these years, Randall?”

“Why do you care?”

“I’m one of your fans,” Reese answered, embarrassed.

Randall softened again. Was this teen being honest?

“Fine,” Randall started.

Abrupt but good. Now everybody’s all in one room, literally ^0^ Story within a story ^0^

Yeah. :laughing: Sorry it was abrupt; I was out of ideas to put in beforehand. :confused:

FINALLY updated! XD

Chapter Five

Having accidentally blown the power of the closet portal, Reese had trapped them in the Human World. Normally, Randall would’ve yelled at him for ruining his chance to get home, but somehow, he didn’t feel right harassing the wimp.

Nonetheless, given the issues between them, they all split up to different rooms to avoid each other for the time. Reese, Roy, and Randall took Roy’s room. Sulley and Mary remained.

Mary was getting increasingly perplexed about Sulley. Why would he bother to feel remorse for something he should’ve done?

“Because it was a CRIME, Boo!” Sulley exploded. “It was WRONG for us to take the law into our hands!”

“But that creep deserved it!”

“How would you know? All he did to you was do his job.”

Mary, for the first time about the subject, hesitated. She realized Sulley was right.

“So we’re criminals, then?”

“Something like that,” Sulley said, trying to be constructive.

Mary remained confused.

“Yes,” Sulley brutally confessed.

They stayed in place for several minutes, pitying themselves.

“Why do you respect me so much, Reese?” Randall asked.

“You really gave me hope, Mr. Boggs. I apparently go to the same school as you-”

“Oh, god,” the adult monster mumbled.

"Exactly. The district hasn’t changed since then. Bullies are still the norm.

“And then I heard about you. How you were one of the city’s best Scarers, while still being reptilian, like me. It became my goal to try to be your successor. I REALLY respect you, Mr. Boggs.”

Randall felt touched by this teen’s minispeech.

“That was too much, wasn’t it?” Reese asked worriedly.

“No.” Randall felt a genuine smile form on his face. “I really appreciate your admiration of me.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

Reese blushed. “Thank you, Mr. Boggs.”

“Please, call me Randall.”

Reese blushed again.

Roy took the opportunity to restart the original topic. “But why did you try to hurt them, Randall? They seemed sorry.”

“Pain isn’t removed by mere apologies, kid. And even if it is, they didn’t do so.”

“I noticed the look on that hairy one.”

“Sullivan?”

“Yeah.”

Randall tried to recall. Alas, Roy was right; he remembered that puppy-dog look when he first realized he was there.

“But still, Mike the one-eyed zit and I have LONG been enemies. Fat chance he’d apologize, let alone let me make amends with his buddy.”

“You sure?”

“I know for a FACT!”

Roy couldn’t think of another retort.

“Okay.” the human responded.

Reese yawned. Roy, in response, looked at his clock. It read 10:38.

“We should probably head to bed.”

They had no choice but to sleep in the same bed, given the furniture options in the room. As Randall drifted to sleep, he couldn’t help but doubt his certainty that he was going to remain trapped in the Human World.

A good fair addition, tenses had risen so it’s a good moment to take a step back for awhile…
Hopefully the parents aren’t around.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry; currently, the parents aren’t home, again. :laughing:

Ahh I see.