Only Hope

Cool! And I was just kiddin’… I HATE it when people rush me on anything! Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE to rush… I just don’t like bein’ rushed.

Ka-chow! :whip:

Okay! XD I know, who would like to be rushed? I don’t think anyone would.

It’s funny! All that’s on this page so far if our own conversation! LOL! Ya get two things at once with that… a good conversation and you’re rackin’ up the post number! :laughing:

lol true! Makes it seem more popular than what it really is. Cars fanfics don’t get much attention on here it seems. Or at least mine.

Well, your stories have my attention and interest, I’ll tell ya that! :wink:

[i]Sorry I’ve taken so long to update guys!!

I don’t wanna waist anymore time making you read some long into thing, but there is one scene in here that I felt I had to edit differently than from fanfiction.net or dA. It’s with Amy and Adam, and it’s a little matured for this site in my opinon. I just felt it was a little too much for kids. If you are 13 or older and want to get the actual scene (it’s the first of the two scenes that have Amy and Adam in them), then you can head over there. But this scene also does justice I feel. Think of it as an alternate scene. :wink:[/i]

Chapter 8:

Lightning and Sally came to Doc’s side, to comfort him. “It’s gonna be okay.” Sally cooed to him. Though she knew it’d be hard for Doc to get over Amy.

“Yeah, Doc, it’ll be okay.” Lightning said, not knowing exactly what to say to comfort him.

“How will it be okay? I finally open my heart and allow to fall for someone for the first time in over 50 years, and she’s gone, just like that.”

Lightning and Sally looked at each other, not sure what to say anymore.

Doc tried starting himself up so he could move, but it hurt him too much to try. “Damn it! Adam must’ve ruined something when he punching me like that. I can only imagine what it was like for Amy when he would abuse her.”

“We may need to call another doctor up here. I mean, if Doc can’t move anywhere, how’s he gonna fix himself up?” Lightning suggested.

“That’s a good idea, Stickers. You stay here with Doc in case he needs anymore comforting.”

“Can do, Sally.”

Sally drove over to the lobby of the Cozy Cone, and started dialing a number for a hospital in Phoenix. “My name is Sally Carrera and I live in Radiator Springs. Our resident doctor has gotten into a beating, and he can’t seem to get himself started up, could you get someone over here as soon as you can?”

“Sure thing, miss. We’ll bring one of our doctors over to you on helicopter. They shall come on helicopter,” the voice on the other end of the line said.

“Thank you so much!”

“You’re welcome. One of our doctors should be there in an estimated 4 hours.”

~o0o~

Amy reluctantly followed Adam the way back home – no, scratch that. The apartment in which she was forced to live in would never be home.

“Okay, Adam, fess up,” Amy suddenly told the black Corvette in front of her.

“Wha’cha talkin’ ‘bout?”

“How come all of the sudden, you wanted me back? I was fine after you, and I don’t think-“

“I missed you, baby,” he said, turning around. “There was still so much we hadn’t done.” The look on his face told her exactly what they hadn’t done. Or rather, what he wanted to do with her.

“I know what you what, and if that’s all you want out of me, it’s not happening!"

“But baby, I thought what we had was special! Did you forget all about us?”

"I never forgot, Adam. But you put me through a nightmare! You have no idea what the heck I was going through when you would throw me up the wall or lock me out of the aparment at night! I’m only here because you injured the one I care about to the point where he can’t start up!” Tears started forming in Amy’s eyes. “How could you do that to him!”

“I did what I had to so that I could protect you, babydoll.”

“No! He was protecting me! You abused me so many times, all the doctors at the hospital know me by name! I’ve always been you’re good girl and kept you beating me a secret, but I’m sick of this crap! The next time-“

“If you don’t shut up, you won’t be around for a next time.” Adam seethed.

Amy quickly shut up, falling back into that controlled state Adam had forced her to reside in.

“That’s better. Now come on, I need to take a pit stop.”

~o0o~

For the next for hours, each resident of the town took turns trying to cheer Doc up. They knew it’d be hard for him to let go of Amy. It was hard for him to let go of the past, period. Right now, it was Fillmore’s turn. “You know, man, I once had a girlfriend. Or was it a guy that looked like a girl? That night was such a blur, man.”

Doc hadn’t even noticed that Fillmore had taken Ramone’s place. He was too absorbed into his memories of Amy.

Soon, the sound of a helicopter came from the sky. “Am I just hearing thins again, or do you hear it too, Doc?”

Doc could hear it, but he didn’t feel like answering the VW bus. He was relieved that the other doctor had came to fix him up, but he wouldn’t be fully happy unless Amy was on that helicopter also.

The silver helicopter landed on the desert ground, and out came a white Chrysler 300. She drove over to Doc. “So you’re the one who I was told had gotten injured?”

Doc nodded his hood, still not up to talking.

“Okay, is there a tow truck around to help me pull him into his clinic?” she asked, turning her attention to the other residents.

“Um . . . actually, he’s out towing our injured Sheriff,” Lightning explained.

“How is everyone getting hurt?”

“It’s a long story, but it’s all because of some black Corvette. Oh, what’s his name?”

“So someone was attacking you guys?”

“All because he wanted his old girlfriend back. But once Doc and Sheriff get fixed up, I’m sure that they’ll get that guy in jail, right?”

Doc didn’t answer.

“So, what’s your name?” Sally asked, trying to change the subject. She didn’t want Doc feeling even worse.

“My name is Allie. But if you want to be formal, then-“

“Allie’s all we need.”

“Oh, okay.” She turned her glance to Doc, then back to the gang. “Looks like I’m gonna have to try to push him in.”

“You want some help?” Sarge decided to ask.

“I think I could use some, thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

Sarge and Allie teamed up together to push Doc back into his clinic. It was hard to do being that he was stuck in park. But after a few struggling minutes later, they finally got Doc inside. “Phew! I never realized it was this hard to push someone in park!” Allie remarked.

“Well, I better leave you to fix Doc up.”

“Yeah, the sooner I work on him, the better.”

Allie pressed a lever and up rose the lift. Doc found it to be a strange feeling. He was used to operating the lift, not being on it! I guess this was the reason they said doctors made the worse patients. But maybe he could focus his attention away from what Allie was about to do by letting his mind float back to Amy.

~o0o~

Doc groggily opened his eyes, everything he saw being a blur. “Looks like someone’s finally awake,” came a voice to his left. It was only vaguely familiar. Allie’s most likely then. Wait, he fell asleep? “You must not remember falling asleep last night. You look a little confused. I had to give you some pain medication that also knocked you out.” So that’s what that weird taste in was in his mouth last night! “Would you like to see what was wrong with you?”

Doc nodded his head, even though his vision wasn’t perfectly clear at the moment. He knew she’d tell him what was wrong without showing him.

“Okay, it seems to be that your injury there was caused by your spark plugs. All that banging around you had to have suffered wore out the wiring to the spark plug, not causing any spark, and thus you couldn’t start your engine up. But don’t worry, I re-wired the system, and now just need to take the dents out of your frame.”

Doc nodded in understanding.

“What’s wrong?” Allie asked.

Doc gave her a confused look. He didn’t know what she was talking about.

“You haven’t spoken this entire time.”

“I’m just depressed, that’s all,” Doc said, only because he couldn’t express that without words.

“You wanna talk about it?”

Doc shook his head no.

“Well, I’m just gonna head over to the local gas station there for some coffee here and tell your friends everything went fine. They were all worried for you. Coming in and asking how you were doing. You’re lucky to have such a caring group of friends who want to have you around for as long as possible.” Allie drove out of the clinic, leaving Doc alone on the lift.

~o0o~

Around mid-afternoon, Mater returned with Sheriff on-tow. “Hey there, guys!” Lightning greeted.

“Hey, buddy!” Mater said back. “Do ya know where Doc is?”

“He’s in his clinic, but he’s not in there for the reason you’d think.”

“Wha’cha mean?”

“He’s been hurt, Mater.”

“Hurt!” Mater and Sheriff exclaimed in unison.

“Some black Corvette with blue eyes came along and-“

“That’s the same car that injure me!” Sheriff called out. “What’s his problem!”

“A girl.”

“All this because of a girl?”

“Yep, sadly.”

“Wait, wasn’t she a blue Hudson?”

“Yeah.”

“I saw her. I knew she was trouble!”

“Sheriff, it wasn’t her fault. She didn’t know you guys would get hurt. She was just trying to run from him so she wouldn’t have to put up with it anymore.”

Soon, Allie came out from Doc’s clinic. “Okay guys, Doc is done with his operations, but he’s still knocked out from the medication I had to give him, and-“ Allie stopped as she noticed the rusted tow truck carrying a ’49 Mercury police cruiser. “I haven’t met you two yet. I’m Allie, and I’m just here to fix your doctor up.”

“My name is Mater! Ya know, like tuh-mater, but without the ‘tuh!’ And him here is Sheriff.”

“Nice to meet you! I’m sorry, Sheriff, but Doc’s got the clinic occupied at the moment.

“That’s okay, ma’am,” he replied. “I understand.”

Allie drove back into the clinic to see how Doc was doing.

“When do you suppose Doc will wake back up?” Flo asked.

“Maybe within the next hour or two, but I can’t be sure,” Sally answered.

“I feel so bad for Doc. He didn’t do anything to be hurt like this.” Lightning said.

“I know,” Sally replied. “We all feel bad for him. But we know he’ll be alright.”

“I know he’ll be okay, I just don’t know if he can handle Amy being gone.”

~o0o~

It was an hour and a half later, around 4:15, when Doc was finally out of his clinic. Everyone greeted him in their own way. “Hey, guys,” was all Doc was able to mutter out.

“What’s wrong, Doc?” Sheriff asked.

“I don’t wanna talk about it.”

Sheriff decided to keep his mouth shut. He’d known Doc long enough to know that trying to make him talk would do no good.

Allie drove out of the clinic over to Flo’s, where Mater had decided to drop Sheriff off at. “Well, Doc over here Is kinda depressed, and I don’t think he should be operating on you, so I’m gonna stay here and fix you up.”

“Okay, I understand.”

“Mater, will you tow him into the clinic for me?”

“Sure thing, miss! Ya is a miss, right?”

Allie chuckled a little. “No, I’m not married.”

“Okay, I just didn’t want ta insult ya.”

“Oh, thanks.”

Mater hooked Sheriff up and towed him to Doc’s clinic, with Allie following right behind them. Mater unhooked him at the lift. “Thank you, Mater,” Allie said.

“You’re welcome!” Mater left out of the doors to let Allie start on Sheriff.

Sheriff was lifted up with a bit of a nervous look on his face. “Is something wrong?” Allie asked him.

“No,” he stated, a little shaky.

“You sure?”

“I’m sure.”

Allie wondered why the sheriff was looking so nervous, but she decided to push her curiosity off to the side and started to see what the problem was with him.

~o0o~

“Welcome home!” Adam shouted, as he opened up the door to his apartment. It was on the top of two floors, the right corridor, first room to the right. There were two rooms: One Amy’s bedroom, the other consisting of the kitchen and living room, where Adam slept. The entire apartment was messy with beer cans of Adams, and overflown waste bins of failed songs or drawings or stories of Amy’s. Amy always wanted to clean up this place, but she was always putting it off, and the more she put it off, the more messy it got, and the more work she’d have to do, making her put it off for longer. But for the first time, she wasn’t thinking about how messy it was. Rather, she didn’t care about the mess. Her mind was in Radiator Springs with Doc.

Adam opened up the fridge in the kitchen, and found it empty. “Hey, babe, I’m gonna go out and get some beers to stock up the fridge.”

“Go ahead,” Amy muttered, though she knew he’d be out getting beers with his friends instead.

“I’ll be back soon, got it, doll?”

“Yeah.”

Adam left, leaving her in the room. She noticed his keys to the apartment were on the kitchen counter by the door. She was tempted to lock the door out on him, but knew that he’d hurt her if he did so. She went to her room and looked out the solitary window. She saw the moon and started to get watery-eyed. She knew that the moon not only shone on Phoenix right now, but on Radiator Springs. It was her only connection to Doc, and it made her feel lonely.

“I miss you.”

She closed the blinds so that she wouldn’t have to deal with any of this. She wanted to get over being away from him, and remembrance wouldn’t help.

~o0o~

Doc tried to fall asleep that night, but he couldn’t for the second night in a row. Only this time, it was because he was missing Amy. In his quiet room, he heard someone in the next room. His clinic. Doc carefully and slowly drove to the trespasser’s location. He saw a light colored car with some papers in front of it. “Who are you?” he asked loudly.

His voice startled the car making them jump almost 180 degrees. The car also yelled out a higher pitched, “Aaah!”

Doc drove over to the light switch realizing he wasn’t able to make out the car well in the dark. When he turned the light on, he noticed the car was the doctor who had fixed him up. “Oh, I’m sorry Doctor . . . Sorry, but your name escapes me.”

“Allie Belmar.”

“Sorry, Doctor Belmar. I didn’t realize it was just you.”

“Oh, it’s okay. I didn’t realize I was making enough noise to wake you up.”

“Oh, no, no! I was already awake. Couldn’t fall asleep.”

“Missing that Amy girl?”

Doc looked at her with a puzzled look.

“I heard from your friends.”

“Shouldn’t have been so surprised. News travels fast in a small town. Now, what are you doing in here so late?”

“Oh, I’m going to be headed back to the hospital in Phoenix in about two hours, so I thought I’d finish up some paperwork.”

“Oh, that makes sense-“ Doc caught himself after he registered exactly where Allie was from. “Phoenix? Amy said she was from there!”

“Really? Well, there are many different Amy’s in Phoenix, and I may have never had her as a patient being that there is more than one hospital there also.”

Doc drove up close to Allie with a serious look on his face. “Do you know a 1952 Hudson Hornet named Amelia Ryans?”

Here’s an early Christmas present for everyone, the next chapter! :smiley: Yeah, I wish I could give you all presents, but alas, I don’t have the money, and sending them all would be a disaster! So this’ll have to do.

~o0o~

Chapter 9:

Allie tried to recall a description of the car Doc had asked about. A 1952 Hudson Hornet wouldn’t be so hard to remember, would it? After all, they were a dying breed. Then why wasn’t one picking up on her radar?

Doc mumbled something which Allie couldn’t quite make out. “Excuse me?” she asked him.

“I said you must not know her!” Doc shouted at her, more harshness than needed.

Allie, taken aback, stuttered out a, “H-how are you so sure I don’t know her?”

Doc took a deep breath, not wanting to explode at Allie. She didn’t know. Why should he be angry at that? It’s not her fault that Amy could have been a patient at another hospital in Phoenix. “Amy was abused. Constantly. In and out of the hospital. She said it herself that all the doctors know her well.”

Allie’s eyes went wide. “Abused?”

“By the same car that caused the damages to me and Sheriff.

“Why didn’t any of her doctors do something, like call the police?”

“She must have not told them. She did say she was under Adam’s control most of the time. He must have told her not to rat him out.”

“How did she cover up something like that?”

“No clue. I’ll have to ask her when I see her. Well, if I see her.”

“Doc, don’t talk like that! I may not have any recollection of Amy Ryans, but it doesn’t mean I can’t figure it out! Besides, I’m pretty new here actually. Only been a doctor for a short time Plus, it’s a pretty big hospital.”

“How do you suppose we find Amy?”

“First, you need to get some sleep. If we find where Amy is, that Adam could be with her, and we already know what he’s capable of. A good night’s rest will be important.”

“I think that would be a good idea,” Doc noted, followed with a yawn, showing just how tired he was.

“I’ll call the helicopter and tell him to come later. How’s 11:00am sound?”

“Sounds good. G’night.”

“Good night, Doc.”

~o0o~

Doc woke up at 8:00am to the sound of Sarge and Fillmore arguing over their wake-up calls right next door.

“Will you turn that disrespectful junk off!”

“Show some love, man! It’s Jimi Hendrix!”

Doc just chuckled at the two. Sarge always seemed to find a way to argue with Fillmore, but in reality, they were more like brothers than enemies. If anything happened to Fillmore, Sarge would use some of that WWII Army combat on whoever hurt the hippie.

Then something hit him.

“Sarge!” Doc called out driving over to his neighbor’s house.

The unexpected visit caused Sarge to stop arguing with Fillmore about how rock’n’roll music was corrupting the minds of our youth. “Oh, hey, Doc. This is a surprise.”

“I need to talk to you for a moment.”

“Sure thing.”

“I was talking with Allie last night, and she comes from Phoenix, just like Amy. We were hoping to find out where she would be down there, but then is the chance, very high chance, that Adam would be with her. So I’m going to need you as backup.”

“I would be proud to do so. No one gets away with hurting one of my friends.”

“Then why did you let him get away when he was in town, man?” Fillmore asked.

“Oh will you shut up you hippie! You know dang well as I do that I was caught by surprise! We all were! If this was back in the 40’s or 50’s, I could’ve done something about it! But it’s been a long time since I was in the war, so being caught by surprise is something I just can’t handle anymore!”

“So you’re willing to help me, Sarge?” Doc asked, half to be certain, half to prevent Sarge and Fillmore from getting into another argument.

“Of course I am, Doc.”

“Okay. Now, we’ll have to think up of some sort of plan. Meet me at Flo’s in half an hour?”

“Got it.”

“Just as long as you don’t kill anyone, I’ll be okay with it,” Fillmore noted.

“I’m not gonna kill anyone, you soft hippie!”

Doc sighed and shook his head as he pulled onto the road. Those two would always find something to argue about.

~o0o~

The discussion at Flo’s went on for a while, but eventually Doc, Allie and Sarge finished fine tuning their plan. Now, they were awaiting for the helicopter to take them to the hospital where Allie worked. They wished they could have brought Sheriff along, but he was chickening out. He claimed that he was still woozy from the surgery, when Doc and Allie could tell he wasn’t. But Doc didn’t blame him. Adam knew how to pack a punch. They’d just have to get an officer from Phoenix, he thought.

“You ready for this, Doc? You ready to find Amy?”

“Oh, you bet I am.”

But deep down, he almost wished that the helicopter wasn’t going to show up any minute. He wasn’t worried about not finding Amy. He could try looking her up in a phone book down there if she didn’t show up on any of the medical records where Allie worked. No, he was worried about what would happen when they did find her. Would Adam be there? And if so, would Sarge and possibly one or two police officers be enough? And then there was the fact that Amy ran away from Adam. He would abuse her for no reason, and now he had a reason. He didn’t think he could stand seeing her hurt. Or even worse . . .

The helicopter was visible in the sky now, and Doc knew that there was no turning back. He kept thinking to himself that he had to do this for Amy. Bring her back safe and sound.

“Doc! Doc!” a voice called out behind him. He turned around to find Lightning speeding over towards him. The scarlet racer stopped in front of him. “I’m coming with you.”

“Kid, you need to stay here.”

“No, I’m coming with you.” Lightning said sternly. “I feel like I should do something. I’m the one who told you to take a chance on Amy. And what happens, she’s taken away! Second chances don’t come around much, and I want to be sure that your chance isn’t taken away from you.”

“You coming, Doc?” Allie said, tapping him on the side with her tire. The helicopter had landed, and Sarge had already boarded on.

“Just gimme a sec.”

Doc looked at Lightning’s face. He did want to help. He truly did. Which was going to make things harder. “Lightning, you can’t come.” He took a deep breath before continuing. “Look, I may be bringing Sarge along, but that’s only to help protect me when we find Amy. And even with Sarge being trained as he is, I’m afraid of him getting hurt. If you came around and Adam got you . . . “ Doc closed his eyes, unable to finish his sentence. “I understand that you want to help. I can see you really do, kid, but I don’t want your help . . . I want you safe.”

“I understand. Just here . . . “ Lightning handed Doc a cell phone. “Call me often, so I know you and Sarge are okay. Just press one if you wanna call me. Sure it’s Sally’s speed-dial, but she’ll understand.”

“You’re one of a kind, kid.”

“Thanks, Doc.”

The navy blue Hornet backed up into the helicopter, ready to find Amy.

As the doors closed and the helicopter lifted off of the ground, Allie drove over beside Doc. “Lightning’s a pretty brave kid.”

“I probably would’ve done the same thing,” Doc noted, smiling.

~o0o~

“Gah, I can’t believe this! It’s noon and he hasn’t shown up yet! I know him taking all night to get back home from ‘getting a beer’ is typical, but also taking the entire morning! That’s unlike him!” Amy was pacing back and forth through the apartment. “I know I shouldn’t be worrying about someone whom I’d love to get away from, but he’s the one who wanted me back here! So why isn’t he here backing that up!”

“Hello?” a voice called from outside the window.

“That sounds familiar. But like always, I can’t put my tire on it.” Amy drove over to the window and found a purple 2008 Chevrolet Impala. “Megan!” Amy shouted.

“Hey there, girl! I haven’t seen you in forever!”

“Phoenix must be a larger city than we thought!”

The two girls had a laughing fit, half because what Amy said was funny to them, half because they didn’t want to stop laughing with each other.

“I heard you ran away,” Megan said, as their laughing died down.

“Yeah . . . Remember that black Corvette, Adam?”

“The one that you swore ‘took up all your time?’”

“Yeah. That one. See, he wanted me back and, I just couldn’t be with him anymore!”

“Girl, what made you and him break up in the first place? I mean, you guys just ‘grew apart.’ You spent all the time in the world with him!”

“Megan, I thought you knew.”

“Knew what?”

“Didn’t Paulina tell you?”

“Tell me what?”

Amy took a deep sigh, preparing to tell her old friend the truth. “Look, I didn’t spend all my time with Adam because I wanted to. It was all because I was forced to. He kept me in this apartment all day long, in case I ever ‘betrayed him.’ Which I don’t understand for he’s always betraying me with other girls! And whenever he’d come home, for no reason whatsoever, he’d beat the tar out of me! That’s why I never had time to be with you. He was completely taking over my life! In the end, he decided I wasn’t ‘good enough for him’ and dated one of those girls he’d cheat on me with.”

“And now he wants you back.”

“Yep.”

“Lemme guess, he’s not here right now?”

“If he was, I wouldn’t be at this window right now. I’d love to invite you in, but there’s no telling when he’ll come back.”

“Oh. Well, it was nice to talk to ya.”

“Where are you going?”

“I’ve got a job.”

A job.

“Okay, see ya.”

Amy drove away from the window. “A job! Man, even Megan has a job! After Adam keeping me locked up in the apartment all day, I couldn’t go to work, so I lost my job! Then I couldn’t find work afterwards! Ugh!” Amy’s eyes landed on an unpaid credit card bill. $10,000. And that was only one of many. “Jeez, Adam, how do you even keep this apartment if you have to use credit cards to pay for everything! Oh right, you ‘make a deal’ with the owner. Duh. But even so, I’m surprised the IRS isn’t busting down the door right now.”

Amy heard a helicopter from outside, flying up in the sky. “It’s one of the medical helicopters. I sure hope the person in that helicopter isn’t suffering the same fate as me.”

~o0o~

Doc was tapping his tire to the beat of a song he was listening to. He noticed that Amy’s cone hadn’t been cleaned out of her items, since she had been taken away in a flash. So before they left, he packed her belongings into his trunk, and at the moment decided to listen to her iPod. “Just curious,” was his reasoning for doing so. They had only spent so much time together. Why not learn a little more about her though her selection of tunes?

“Hey, how much longer?” Doc asked, pushing pause on the song.

“We should be there in a few more minutes,” Allie responded.

Doc looked out the window as he saw that they were over Phoenix. He wondered if she lived in this part of the city and were flying over her that very moment, or if she was at the complete other end of the city. Either way, this is where she was taken away to. Or at least he hoped she was at. It hit him, maybe that Adam had moved at some point, and brought Amy to a completely different town! State even! All these doubts were spinning through Doc’s head.

“You look worried,” Sarge commented.

“I am a little worried. What if she’s not there? What if this is all for nothing?”

“This isn’t for nothing, Doc. Amy is most likely in that city. If she’s not there, at least you did much more than if you never came here in the first place. Amy would love you more for trying than just turning around and leaving her.”

“That is true. Thanks, Sarge.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Okay, boys, we’re just about to land at the hospital here, and then we can check the medical records,” Allie told them.

“All right,” Sarge replied. But Doc didn’t say anything. He just nodded his head.

The helicopter landed on top of the hospital, where they found another doctor there. “You two the ones that are looking for that girl?” he asked in a low voice.

Sarge and Doc nodded their heads.

“Okay, be quick, we’re not supposed to be doing this. Only doctors and sick patients are allowed.” The doctor, who was a metallic dark blue color, looked at Doc. “You may be able to slide, being that you’re a doctor yourself. You . . . “ The doctor then turned his attention toward Sarge, “aren’t going to slide, no matter what. Unless you somehow injure yourself before we get caught. If we get caught.”

Doc and Sarge exchanged nervous glances. Allie never told them about this. They couldn’t believe that she hid this from them. She and this other doctor whom hadn’t introduced himself to them were bending the rules just so they could get Amy back. This was risky. If they were caught . . . They had no idea what could happen to them! All they knew for certain was that Amy wouldn’t be saved from Adam if they didn’t succeed.

“Come on,” the doctor said, motioning his tire towards himself. “We need to be fast.”

Luckily for Doc, that was one thing he knew how to do.

~o0o~

“I wish Doc would call,” Lightning said, pacing past the islands at Flo’s. “I need to know if everything’s okay.”

“Stickers, you need to calm down. I’m sure they’re alright.”

“I guess so.” Lightning gasped suddenly. “What if my phone isn’t charged enough! It could die before Doc even has a chance to call!”

“Lightnin’ maybe ya need to calm down with some hot, chamomile fuel,” Flo offered. “I understand that you’re concerned, but being all hyped up about it ain’t gonna help a thing.”

“That sounds good, Flo, but no thanks.”

“Ya sure?”

“Yeah, I don’t think some hot fuel’s gonna help much.”

“Oh all right. But holler if ya change your mind.”

Lightning finally stopped in the middle of the islands. “Is it so wrong for me to be this concerned?”

“No, Stickers, it’s normal,” Sally replied. “But worrying isn’t going to solve anything. Doc’s a smart car. He’s most likely got a plan. And at the least two backup plans. Remember when you first came here, and Mater was to help you hook up to Bessie? And then you sped off? Then you realized we siphoned your gas?”

“Yeah, I remember,” Lightning said, a little touchy about the situation still.

“It was Doc’s backup plan originally to get us to siphon the gas. His plan was to throw you in jail-“

“Until the jail rotted on top of me,” Lightning said, doing his best Doc impersonation.

Sally chuckled at Lightning. “Yes, until that. Anyways, he knew you might try to escape, so he wanted us to be stationed there.”

“Which even though I wasn’t thrown in jail, but sentenced to community service, it turned out to be an effective plan anyways.”

“Yep. See, Doc always thinks these here things through,” Sheriff said, picking up the talking for Sally. “He gets every possibility, every ‘what if’ situation, and tries to fix it. Ties up all the loose ends in his head. And with somethin’ as serious as this, Doc’s going to make sure that nothing is left open for an opportunity to be hurt.”

“You sure?”

“Lightnin’, I’ve known Doc for a long time. Heck, of all of us here, I was the first one to see him, and I’m the one he’s been most open to. Well, at least until you came tearing through town. But that’s beside the point. Trust me, I’m positive he’s gonna be okay out there.”

The racecar took a deep breath. “Thanks guys. I’m feeling a lot better about this now. But, Flo, some of that hot fuel might be pretty good right now, just to be sure.”

~o0o~

“Okay, Doc, we’ve gotta do this quick,” Allie said. “We haven’t exactly completely updated all of our records to electronic ones. Our hospital has been a little behind in digitalization.”

“You’re closer to it than I am. I don’t even own a computer,” Doc said, hoping to keep the mood light. He was already nervous about being caught.

“Well, if you’re more familiar with the paper records, search for her through them. I don’t need you ruining our computers.”

“Good idea.”

“So I’m not needed yet, am I?” Sarge asked.

Doc looked at the wall of medical records. A little behind? This looked far behind to him. “Um, you could help me search for where Amy might be. This is going to take a while.”

“Okay, I need to know, what’s her name? Sorry, I kinda forgot it.”

“Amy Ryans.”

“When do you suppose she would have been here from?”

“Well, she said the abusing ended about four months ago, and it lasted for three months. So anywhere from four to seven months ago.”

“Luckily for you guys, any records from then are on the computer.”

Doc exhaled a relief. That wall of records was intimidating. He’d never be able to find Amy in there.

Allie typed in ‘Amy Ryans’ into the search bar for the medical records. Doc bit the bottom of his grille in anxiety. He hoped to see her appear in the records.

When Allie pressed the enter key, one result came up.

But it wasn’t what Doc was looking for.

~o0o~

[i]Yes, I give you a cliffhanger for Christmas. Hey, it’s the thought that counts, right? XD

Okay, for all you Up fans, you may have noticed I ‘borrowed’ a line from the movie. If you didn’t notice it, you can go back and look for it. Just something I remembered after watching the movie 3 times. [/i]

Here’s another long-awaited chapter for you all! :smiley:

Chapter 10:

Doc sighed heavily, with a sign of depression. It felt good to breathe again. Wait, he was holding his breath? “I guess she’s not here.”

“Hey, we tried, right? Besides, couldn’t you look in a phone book or something?”

“Yeah . . . “ Just then, something hit Doc in the face. “Gah, how could I be so stupid! ‘Amy Ryans’ isn’t going to show up on the computer! That’s not her full name! It’s ‘Amelia Ryans’!”

Allie quickly went back to the search bar, and typed in ‘Amelia’ where ‘Amy’ was at. She clicked enter, and right there was the car Doc was searching for. “That’s her, that’s her!” Doc said, shouting louder than he needed to.

“Shhh! You’re gonna get us caught!” Allie warned.

“Oh, sorry,” Doc said, but still filled with ecstatic energy.

“Okay, I’ll just open these and we should be able to find her residence as of this date.”

They looked and found her residence: Grandview Apartments, 1134, 5th St. Phoenix, AZ.

“Thanks for your help, Allie. That’s all I’m going to need you for. You can get back to helping patients and saving lives.”

“Well, technically, I was already helping a patient. I was helping you and Amy.”

Doc cracked a smile. “Again, thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now hurry out the door before anyone gets suspicious.”

“Wait, could you print me out just the address? I can be kinda bad with that.”

“Well, really, you just need to remember it’s Grandview Apartments and it’s on Fifth Street. I mean, the exact number of the building, isn’t that important.”

“Yes, but how many buildings are on 5th Street, hm?”

“Doc, I’ve got the number down, don’t worry,” Sarge told him, playing the role of peacekeeper for once.

“Thanks for your help. Come on, Sarge, we’ve got a car to find.”

~o0o~

“Sally, what if Doc doesn’t find Amy in Phoenix?”

Sally sighed as Lightning was again showing constant worry for his crew chief, this time, over at the Cozy Cone with her instead of over at Flo’s. “Lightning, I’m sure they can find her.”

“I just don’t want Doc to miss out on something as wonderful as love. Sally, every day we spend together is pure bliss, and I can’t picture myself without you. Remember when I got sent out of town to go to California? If I had never came back, I would’ve never been able to have what we have together now. It-it’s something I can’t even comprehend all that well! Right now, Doc is in a similar situation, only being able to have a little taste of what it’s like to be with someone you truly love, and then having her whisked away! I don’t need him to be going through something I find unthinkable! Look, he may love Amy for different reasons than I love you, but love is love. I know that he has a chance to have something very similar to what we have. I just don’t need him missing out.”

“Stickers, I can see you really want to help Doc. And I’ve got an idea.”

“What’s that?”

“If-“

Sally wasn’t able to share her plan to Lightning, for right then, a shrill riinnnnggg of the telephone interrupted her. “Hello, this is-“

“Sally?” a coarse voice came over the phone.

“Doc, is that you?”

“Sal, can you hand me the phone?” Lightning asked quickly and anxiously.

Sally gave the phone to Lightning. “Hello?” he asked.

“Kid, I called to check up on ya.”

“To check up on- I’m the one who needs to know what’s going on! I should be the one calling you!”

Doc chuckled on the other end of the line, “Since when did you turn into my mother?” he joked.

“Your mother!” Lightning complained.

Doc laughed heartily over the phone while Lightning pouted that signature pout of his. “Just tell me what’s going on over there.”

“Well, we found out where her residence most likely is, that is if Adam didn’t take her somewhere else.”

“Somewhere else?” Lightning started to almost panic. Somewhere else could be practically anywhere! Amy could be taken hostage to New York or Paris or even the complete other end of the world in Hong Kong! Lightning tried to shake the thoughts out of his head. There was no way Amy was going anywhere that far away!

“But don’t start overreacting, kid. Not to be ‘judging a book by its cover’ or anything, but Adam doesn’t seem smart enough to move out of their apartment in case I’m following after. In fact, he probably doesn’t even expect me to be healed up yet!”

“You know, you’re probably right, Doc. I mean, we may have only known each other for a little bit, but that big brain of yours hasn’t failed yet!”

“Kid, I’m not that smart. Just wise.”

“What’s the difference?”

“Smart is when you have lots of knowledge. Wise is knowing exactly how to use it. At least that’s my definition of it.”

“Well, at least it’s good to know you’re okay, and on your way to finding Amy.”

“Yep. But first, we’re gonna see if we can get some police down here. No one is going to abuse my Amy without paying the price.”

“That’s what I like to hear!”

“Well, I don’t want to waste too many of your minutes, or drain out your battery too much.”

“Doc, take as much time on the phone as you need! I prefer you give me a thousand dollar phone bill than not hearing anything on you being okay. But if you insist, I’ll let ya go. Bye, Doc.”

“See ya, kid.”

Lightning hung up the phone and gave it back to Sally. “So, you gonna be okay, Stickers?” Sally asked.

“Well, he’s found where Amy most likely is, which puts some pressure off of me. But he still hasn’t finished the dangerous part. Dealing with Adam.”

Sally solemnly nodded her hood as she understood what Lightning was getting at. Only time would tell if Doc would make it out of this unharmed. And Sally, usually not the pessimistic type, believed the odds were pretty slim of doing so. But of course she wasn’t going to tell her over-the-edge boyfriend that. Instead, she just said, “There’s nothing to worry about. Doc can take care of himself.” If only she could get herself to believe those words, just as Lightning’s hope seemed to be dependent on them.

~o0o~

As Doc and Sarge were on their way to 5th Street, they found the Phoenix Police Department. The WWII Army Jeep nudged Doc with his tire to grab his attention. “Wasn’t our plan calling for some cops to help us?” Sarge said, motioning his tire towards the building.

“It was. Good thing we found one. I would’ve completely forgotten, and then our plan would be screwed.”

The two cars from Radiator Springs drove over towards the police station, hoping to find some decent officers. When they entered through the front door, there was an officer on his way out. “Excuse me, how may I help you two gentlemen?” he asked. He was a 1976 Dodge Charger in a dark blue paint job, the image of the Phoenix Police Department on his sides.

“Um, yes, we are looking for a little assistance here in catching a criminal,” Sarge stated.

“Could you provide me any detail about this criminal?”

“His name is Adam . . . Adam . . .” Doc tried to give a full name, but came up short. “Shoot, Amy never told me his last name! But he’s a black Corvette, a 1980’s one by the looks of it.”

“He lives in Grandview Apartments on Fifth Street,” Sarge noted.

“What exactly did he do?” the officer asked.

“He’s been abusing a Hudson Hornet named Amelia Ryans,” Doc said, sternly.

“Amy Ryans? Our ‘Accident Amy’?”

“Accidents?” Doc asked in pure shock. That did explain, he thought, how she was able to keep her cover . . .

“He also assaulted Doc here and our local sheriff,” Sarge added, giving Doc time to calm down a little.

“Not to be too invading here, but do you know any reason why he did those things?”

“No clue what his motive was for abusing Amy like he did,” Doc said. “All I know is that he was being a horrible boyfriend to someone who didn’t deserve it.”

“So it was dating abuse?”

“Yes. Again, not exactly sure the reasoning for hurting Sheriff, but by my guess, he was doing something to prevent him to come in and snatch Amy away from me!” There was a look of hurt on his face from remembrance of that night. “And he hurt me because he saw us kissing. Was coming to our town to take her back. I just hope she’s okay.”

“We’re trying to get Amy out of harm so that she isn’t killed or anything. She ran away from here, apparently. But I don’t know the whole story on that.”

“She ran away because Adam wanted her back, Sarge. She ran away so she wouldn’t have to go through the crap he put her through all over again. And she’s experienced some tough things before. After running away, I’m not sure what could happen to her.”

“We had a plan set up, and Doc wasn’t so sure if he should go in alone. That’s why I’m here. But he also wants one or two more people. That’s where you come in.”

“Back up in case he tries to harm him again?” the police officer asked Sarge.

“Exactly.”

“In order to get Amy saved and Adam brought to justice sooner, you guys might just want to bring only me along.”

“The sooner the better,” Doc said. “I only wanted others just in case. Didn’t need more than three.”

“Oh, I’m Officer Hurley. I may have forgotten to mention that. So . . . What’s the plan?”

~o0o~

The time on the old clock was 3:52. It was actually 3:44 or 4:00 sharp. The old clock on Amy’s bedside table was either 8 minutes behind or ahead. “I forget.” Was Amy’s response when she remembered the clock being off. It was something to deal with 8 minutes, that she knew.

Amy grunted and felt like kicking one of those crushed beer cans on the floor out in the main part of the apartment into the clock. “Where the heck are you, Adam! Are you abandoning me or something! I could leave anytime I want to! Which I’d love to do right now. But sometime you’ll come back and find out. And just go back to hurting Doc again.” She sighed at the situation. “This must be some sort of crazy trust situation. But I’ve never known him to do something so . . . strange? I can’t think of the word for it.”

Amy rolled to the window. “Doc would never do anything like this.” She smiled at the mentioning of him. Her head drifted away to Radiator Springs, and having the comfort and love of Doc beside her that night at the Wheel Well. Somehow, the memory reminded her of an old song. Without even thinking about it, the lyrics started flowing out of her mouth. “There’s a song that’s inside of my soul – It’s the one that I tried to write over and over again – I’m awake in the infinite cold – But you sing to me over and over and over again . . . “

She didn’t know why she was singing the old song. As she sang, she listened to the lyrics to see if there was any reason as to why.

“So I lay my head back down – And I lift my hands and pray – To be only yours – I pray – To be only yours – I know now – You’re my only hope . . . “

Now it all made sense. As to Doc was her only hope. Her only hope of ever escaping a world filled of hurt and betrayal. Her only hope at ever having a life again.

Tears started lining her eyes as she continued along with the next verse.

~o0o~

“Okay, Grandview Apartments, gentlemen,” Officer Hurley introduced, even though the two cars from Radiator Springs noticed. And even though they were facing the back end of the building. “You two know what to do?”

“Yep,” they both said, at slightly different times.

“Good. Now, when we enter the building-“

“Shh! Do you hear that?” Doc asked.

“Hear what?” Sarge asked.

“Sounds like . . . singing,” Officer Hurley inferred.

“It is singing,” Doc confirmed. “It sounds familiar. I’m gonna drive around to the front to hear it better.”

“Wait!” Sarge called out, but it was too late. Doc was already in front of the building.

“I give you my destiny – I’m giving you all of me – I want your symphony – Singing in all that I am – At the top of my lungs – I’m giving it back . . . “

“Amy,” he whispered. “It’s her, it’s got to be her,” Doc said, at normal speaking level this time. “And for her to be singing must mean she’s got to be okay!” Doc sped out towards the road in order to know if he could see her from any of the windows or not. And there she was. The second floor, exactly right-diagonal from the entrance. Her eyes were closed as if in a daydream.

“So I lay my head back down – And I lift my hands and pray – To be only yours –I pray –To be only yours –I pray – To be only yours – I know now – You’re my only hope.”

She opened her eyes as her song finished, and noticed Doc. He smiled, being able to look into her warm, brown eyes again. Amy blinked her eyes as in shock. As if she thought him being there couldn’t be right. “Doc? Is that you?” she asked.

“What, do you think you’re imagining me or something?”

“Oh, it is you!” she exclaimed, with tears of happiness streaming down her hood

“Wait right there, Amy, I’ll be up in a moment!”

Before even two minutes were up, Doc was busting through the door of the apartment, and right to Amy’s side. “Oh, Amy, words can’t even explain how much I missed you.”

Amy nuzzled her hood into Doc’s side, enjoying every second of having him with her. “I missed you more than you can even imagine,” she managed to choke out between the sobs.

Doc decided right then to give Amy a passionate kiss. And Amy decided to return the favor. “Amy, I wanted to tell you this that night we were separated, but then that’s what happened. We were separated.” Amy chuckled a little, which caused more tears, for it made her realize how much she missed that humor of his. “And now I’m here, and what I’m about to tell you, means much more now than it would’ve then. Amy, I love you.”

Amy looked into Doc’s eyes, and she could tell he wasn’t just saying this. He really meant it. And hearing these words with the proof to back them up, like the fact he came all this way from Radiator Springs just for her, was something rare now. “I love you, too.”

The two cars kissed each other again, only to reinforce their statements. They decided to nuzzle up again some more, not wanting to leave each other’s company. After her tears had stopped flowing, Amy said, “You know, I think it’s a good thing I decided to not lock the door on Adam last night. I would’ve forgotten about it, especially being caught up in the moment back there, and you would’ve been locked out!”

Doc gave out a laugh, saying, “Good thing you didn’t then!” The two Hornets laughed in each other’s company.

They’re laughter soon ended when they heard someone shout, “What the heck are you doing!”

“Adam,” Amy noted.

The two cars turned towards the window and noticed Sarge and Officer Hurley trying to prevent Adam from entering the apartment. But he broke through their small rank and started shooting through the front doors of the building. Amy wanted to lock Adam out while she still had the chance. But Doc kept her back. “What are you doing? I could lock him out and we wouldn’t have to worry!”

“He could always get a key from the lobby. Besides, I’ve got another plan.”

Doc drove up near the door so that when it opened, he’d be ready. He stood his ground and prepared for what could happen. Right when the door burst open, Doc punched him with his tire, knocking him into the side of the opening for the door. “That’s what you get for hurting her.”

A few seconds later, Officer Hurley appeared all ready with a parking boot. “You’re under arrest for the abuse of Amelia Ryans. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.”

“You! You did this!” Adam barked at Doc. “Oh, when I get out, you’re dead!”

“I’m so scared!” Doc faked. “If we had the trial back home in Radiator Springs, I’d be sentencing you to a lifetime in jail!”

“Oh, so you’re the judge of that crummy town my Amy escaped to?”

“She’s not your Amy anymore, Adam.” Doc turned towards the 1952 Hornet and said, “Come on, let’s go home.”

Well, there’s only one or two more chapter’s left in the story, guys. :frowning: And don’t worry, I don’t want it to end either.

Chapter 11:

“Hey, Sally, could you get the kid for me?” Doc asked over the phone.

“Oh, sure thing, Doc!”

The line was silent for a minute or two until Lightning picked up. “Hey, Doc. Sorry it took so long for me to get here. I was, well, taking care of some business.”

“Like I needed to know why you were late.”

“Right . . . So how are things going?”

“I’ve got Amy right here with me, and we’re coming home. Well, as soon as we’re finished here at this gas station.”

“Taking a break, huh?”

“That, and Amy’s pretty hungry.”

“Adam had the whole fridge stocked! With expired stuff. Not taking my chances,” Amy said, after taking a sip of her strawberry-flavored oil.

“I don’t think he can hear you, Amy.”

“I was just saying. Didn’t really mean to say it to him.”

“What can’t I hear?” Lightning asked.

“Nothing. Forget about it.”

“So when do you expect to be home?”

“Not exactly sure. I’m pretty sure it’d be dark when we return though.”

“Can’t you get that helicopter to take you back?”

“Apparently, that wasn’t exactly allowed.”

“Oh. Well, I’ll let you get back to having your meal.”

“It’s not much of a meal for me as it is a snack.”

“Oh whatever! See ya when you get back, Doc.”

“Okay, bye.”

Doc hung up the phone before continuing to help himself to some of Amy’s meal.

“If you like what I have so much, why didn’t you order it yourself!” she said, trying to hold back some laughs.”

“One, I’m not hungry enough to eat the whole thing, and two, I didn’t bring any money with me.”

“How’d you think you were gonna come to Phoenix, get me from Adam, and not eat!”

“I wasn’t thinking, that’s what.”

This time, Amy couldn’t help but laugh.

About 15 minutes later, Amy was stuffed. “If I eat anything else, I’m gonna blow.”

“We don’t need that happening, huh?”

“Nope.”

“Here, lemme just pay for my meal and we can head home.”

~o0o~

It was dark out when the gang was driving along the stretch of Route 66 that would take them home. And Amy was nearly falling asleep. “I wish Mater were here. I’d let him tow me the rest of the way so I could sleep.”

Doc chuckled. He almost wished he could do the same. Of course if Mater was there, he’d let Amy get the ride. She was much more tired than he was. “Don’t worry, we’re almost home,” he told her in a comforting voice.

“Do I have to still stay in the Cozy Cone?”

“Well, you could if you want to. I mean, Lightning’s living in the Cozy Cone! Lightning of all cars! Or you could move in with me.”

Amy didn’t respond. She was too tired to say more.

It was only a few more minutes until they approached town. “Here, Amy, I’ll push you the rest of the way.”

Sarge admired the sight beside him as he was pulling into his own home for the night. He’d never seen Doc such a happy person until he was reunited with Amy. And even now he was happier than usual. Love can do powerful things, he knew. He just never knew love could make grumpy ol’ Doc so happy.

~o0o~

Amy woke up in the morning unsure of her surroundings. There were dusty old boxes, tools, and books everywhere throughout the room. Reminded her a little of her old room. Never clean. Then she noticed the door in front of her opening. Doc was right there entering the room. “Good morning, Amy,” he greeted before giving her a kiss.

“Mmm, good morning, Doc.”

“You do realize we are a couple, right?” he said, nudging up against her. “You can call me by my real name.”

“Okay then, Hudson.” Amy loved the way ‘Hudson’ seem to flow right off her tongue. And Doc loved the way it sounded to hear her say his name.

“Where exactly am I?”

“My garage. I know, needs cleaned. I just think, ‘It’s so dirty, there’s no way I can clean it!’”

“That’s exactly how I feel when something’s a mess. I guess the root of the problem is that you have to keep it clean to begin with!”

“Maybe! So, do you wanna head over to Flo’s for breakfast? Everyone wants to see you.”

Amy actually had to think about that for a second. Being in a relationship with someone and having friends at the same time. It wasn’t something she’d never experienced. She just thought it’d never be that way again.

“Sure thing. I really want to be able to talk to everyone again.”

Doc and Amy drove over next door to Flo’s, where they were greeted by an over excited Lightning. “Hey guys! Good you have you back! We all missed you so much! I-“

“I think we get it, kid. And are you having some of that Red Bulldozer again?”

“No, no, no ,no, no ,no! Why would I have something as sugary as Red Bulldozer in the morning! Nope, I know better than that!”

Doc gave Lightning a look that said, “You’re lying to me.”

“Fine, I drank a few Red Bulldozers! I wanted to be all up in the morning for when I saw you guys!”

“Kid, I think only one would be enough. And do you know how much caffeine and sugar goes in those things? That’s not exactly good for ya.”

“I know! But I can’t help it! I need it in the morning!”

“Lightning, I’m surprised you aren’t jumping up and down on your tires!” Amy exclaimed. “You’re already hyper enough without the Red Bulldozer in your system!”

Just then, Sally was driving over from the Cozy Cone. “Good morning, Sal!” he gave her a quick kiss before continuing with, “I love you! Aren’t you happy Doc and Amy and Sarge are back! Speaking of Sarge, where is he! I know he’s an early bird, but he’s usually still at Flo’s by now, and-“

“Stickers, are you drinking more Red Bulldozer again?”

“Yes,” Doc and Amy replied in unison.

Sally ignored her over-hyper boyfriend and went over to Doc and Amy. “I saw something on the news this morning about Adam being arrested.”

“Did they say anything about when his trial’s gonna be?” Amy asked.

“No, not yet, but I’ll keep looking. I could put a restraining order on him if you’d like. I mean, just because he’s arrested doesn’t exactly mean he’d go to jail. And then there’s the fact that it most likely won’t be a lifetime sentence. I don’t need him hurting you two anymore. And I’m pretty sure that having a restraining order on one of you would work for both of you. If you’re gonna be anything like me and Lightning, you’ll be practically attached at the fenders!”

“That’d be a good idea, Sally,” Doc said. “If anything, you should have it for Amy. She’s been abused by him more than me. And if we ever are apart, better me than her.”

“Okay, I’ll get started on it as soon as I can,” Sally said, adding a wink.

“Thank you, Sally,” Amy said.

“Oh, you’re welcome.”

“’Better me than her’? You’d really be willing to be hurt again just to protect me?”

“Of course I would,” he said, looking her in the eyes. “I could never let him hurt you again.”

“You’re amazing, Hudson, you know that?”

“And we’re only getting started.”

Amy gave Doc a kiss before going off to talk to Fillmore. She realized she hadn’t gotten to know him well enough yet.

Even though Amy left, Doc wasn’t alone. Soon Mater came over to chat. “Hey there, Doc. Good ta see ya again! Ain’t seen ya since before kar-y-o-kay night!”

“Good to see you too, Mater.”

“I still don’t believe it. You and Amy. When I saw her, I never thought she’d wind up with ya!”

“I didn’t think that either, Mater. I’m sure no one did.”

“What about Flo?”

“Okay, maybe Flo could’ve seen it coming. She did say Lightning and Sally would fall for each other.”

“And me and Doreen back in the day!”

“Ah, I remember Doreen. I wish she could’ve stayed. Her and Amy might’ve been great friends.”

“Ya think?”

“Yeah.”

“I wonder what she’s doin’ now, and if she still remembers me.”

“Mater, I’m sure she’d remember you. It’s hard to forget about someone you love. It took me forever to get over Ashley. But if she still has feelings for you, I’m not exactly sure. Remember, she left back in ’81. That’s a pretty long amount of time. She could’ve moved on.”

“So you think I should move on, too?”

“Mater, have you seen me and Amy together?”

“Yeah.”

“I wouldn’t have that if I didn’t decide to move on about Ashley.”

“So you’re sayin’ I have a chance at havin’ a girlfriend if I’d move on about Doreen?”

“Exactly.”

“Thanks, Doc! Maybe I will start lookin’ for other girls!” Mater said, driving off backwards, his specialty. “Wait a second,” he said stopping in his tracks. “Who’s Ashley?”

Doc chuckled before saying, “Some girl from my racing days. She’s nobody.”

“Okay. Hey, Lightnin’! Wanna help me find me a girlfriend!”

Doc laughed as Mater requested the hotshot racer’s help. Doc backed up from the pumps to get a good look at the sky. There were no clouds and the sun was still rising in the sky, with lots of light blues at the top, yet golden colors towards the bottom. It was as if the sky was happy right along with him. Then he looked over at Amy who was laughing with Fillmore about something. Something about the light was hitting off of her power blue paint to make it look beautiful. She must’ve noticed that Doc was staring at her because she looked right back. He could feel a blush rising, being that he was caught in the act after all. Amy smiled at him and gave him a quick air kiss followed by a wink before returning to her conversation with Fillmore. Doc sighed contentedly as he took it all in. To get over Ashley was possibly the best thing to happen to him. He made a mental note to thank Lightning for helping him realize his feelings for Amy sometime later. For now, though, he’d just relax and enjoy life had to bring today.

Yeah, it’s the end of the story. :frowning: I know, depressing. But the upside: There’s a sequel on it’s way! Expect to see it soon! :wink:

your stories get better and better…keep up the good work.

3.5/5

Thanks Al-Bob! :smiley: